All Comments on 'That Which We Call a Rose'

by GaryAPB

Sort by:
  • 106 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Great to see you back, thanks for sharing the story.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 12 years ago
Not badly written . . .

But it's just another male "put down" story. Oh, and as a member of the category police, this story does not belong in Loving Wives, in my opinion. Non-erotic might be better. The story revolved around male cheating, not female dalliances. And I regret to say, the ending was fairly predictable -- it was evident the unknown male would coincidentally turn out to be Penny's fiancé, considering that it's a small world and all that. I've liked your other stories more. But thanks for writing.

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Good Story

and good to have you posting again. She really put him down and he did not know when to give up. Nice twist at the end, but unlike some I do not think it is correct to reveal the details or the author's twist other than to say it was well constructed. Hope that you will be posting new stories soon..

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Strange...

Almost all the tales here involve a wimp cuckolded husband. So, why not a wimp cuckolded wife? It oughta cut both ways.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
THE SHOE HAS TO FIT

no matter who wears it. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Very nice

Good to have you back. <BR>

<P>

I thought early on that Nick could be Dominic, but had forgotten all about that by the end. Nice twist. Good Story.

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Good

I liked the reversed situation and he certainly got what he had coming. However, I thought him running into the future husband in the bar was a bit much unless he knew he would be there before hand and set up the situation deliberately, which seems a bit far fetched?

Scotsman69Scotsman69over 12 years ago
Interesting

and well-written. Thank you.

grogers7grogers7over 12 years ago
Well Imagine My (Our) Surprise!

Good news! GaryAPB has posted another story. We all hope to read more of your long absent work. Thanks, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Man whore

A satyr but a sad loser husband.

brujaybrujayover 12 years ago
Great Story

Nice twist at the end. Thoroughly enjoyed this tale.

Thank you.

LoneStarRiderLoneStarRiderover 12 years ago
Wow. Five-star.

Personally, I haven't been stupid enough to "go there", but I know people who have. Nice twist at the end.

Great story.

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
i like it

he got what he deserved....5stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Raw Deal!

Penny/Polly gets a raw deal again.

What's the moral, anyway?

Karma is not a bitch. Bitches are real.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
glad to see u back on here

as title

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
What is it with UK and wimps men?

GaryAPB is a VERY skilled writer at times a brillant sotry teller. But in EVERY story he has ever written all the husbands are extremely accomplished men that ONLY think with their cocks.

In some ways its absurd yet fascinating to watch... as soon as the male lead characters et another 1 pussy BOOM ...their entire brain totally shuts the fuck down.

I guess in the UK & in Europe every man that isnt a faggot acts / thinks that way. And there sure are a lot of men in the US just like that as well.

Its just that with all this talent GaryAPB has ...one would think that eventually he might develop a lead man/ husband that actually had a brain & a personality

SKHPSKHPover 12 years ago
Nice, well-told story

...but nevertheless predictable. 5*

JennyBearJennyBearover 12 years ago
Well Done!

Nice little double twist. I'm truly glad to see you writing again. In 2008 I heard from a couple of mutual friends that you had written quite a story. Even better than "B2B". I don't recall the title or if they even gave it to me. Any chance of you posting it on Lit? <P>

Jenny

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
So glad

to see something new from you

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I haven't read it yet, but welcome back Gary.

I'm just going to hijack this comment because i've just heard (we're all interested in this sex crime)that Amanda has been set free. I'm British, through and through, yet I TOTALLY back this decision. Fucking flawed and immoral twisted police evidence. That girl and the guy are so obviously innocent. We all know who killed her. You deserve all the good things coming to you Amanda. Any chance of a shag you naughty little slut?....Mancelt.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Welcome back! 5 stars!

As much as I looked forward to getting up every morning to read the next installment of B2B, you can write a tight short story. I look forward to your next one, thanks for writing!

CW_addicted_readerCW_addicted_readerover 12 years ago
Welcome back and this is worth waiting for

Welcome back. I really missed your stories and I am sure a lot of readers in this site share my thought. This is a well written story that happens everyday. It is sad that Tom does not have a second chance and most people do not. However, I hope Tom knows that he saves Penny's happiness with Nick. He might find some peace in his own mind. Life goes on.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
nice twist at the end

Excellent plot elements have been your strength and I'm happy to see you still have it in spades my friend - 5*

KathrynClutKathrynClutover 12 years ago
Great

Welcome back, great story.

Lots of Love

Kathryn

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A very excellent story!

It is difficult to find good stories and even rarer to find one this good. Thanks for writing.

SteinermanSteinermanover 12 years ago
Gary! You're Back!!

OhMyGosh Gary, It's so good to see your name here again. I have a hunch I know why you've been gone so long, though. After B2B, you knew you'd have to better yourself with the next story and since that was impossible, you hid out rather than to try!

Whatever, welcome back and thank you for sharing another of your terrific yarns. I really hate to beg, but we'd really like to see more of you around here. The group of good writers is getting fewer and further between as of late. What I'm trying to say is WE MISS YOU!!!!!

oldwayneoldwayneover 12 years ago
Not all good stories are happy ones!

I had a feeling that that little twist at the end might be coming. Five Stars!

curioussscuriousssover 12 years ago
Nice little vignette...

...and a cautionary tale.

Neat twist there, although 'Nick'/'Dominic' and 'Polly'/'Penny' did make me think before the end.

It's interesting that, morally, her new man is also a prick! He had to be persuaded not to cheat, and this so early in the relationship, so it's in the cards that Polly/Penny will eventually be disappointed again.

Welcome back! I think it was July or August '07 when you posted chapter 22 of your excellent B2B, which I still revisit about once a year. Like fine wine, the story never loses its piquancy.

I hope you will have more for us.

Thank you.

MinigalesMinigalesover 12 years ago
Great Story

I almost gave up when he admitted that he strayed. I am happy to say I did not.

Welcome back, Gary.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Glad you are ALIVE!

Nice story and a cautionary tale.

KirkelKirkelover 12 years ago
You just have to love irony.

I would have thought Nick knew the story already. Penny/Polly would have told it and shown Nick pictures. Maybe I'm assuming too much or didn't pay enough attention.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Dominic - Nick

Saw that coming a mile away.

fregenfregenover 12 years ago
She'll never know

But he made it up to her. Perhaps. Wonder how long it will take for the moral to wear off for Nick.<P>

Thanks for sharing.

RehnquistRehnquistover 12 years ago
I Just . . .

Am glad to have you back and posting again. Well told, well written, full of conflict, tension, and sadness.

Also, I just plain feel sorry for poor Penelope. One complete cad should be enough for anyone, but this poor girl has now been saddled with two.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Welcome back.

Missed your writing. Another well written story as always.

greowulfgreowulfover 12 years ago
All Points Bulletin

For some reason, your name is familiar. I know I wouldn't slog through 20 chapter (except maybe with DQS1), so perhaps I only recognize it from comments. Regardless, I may have to check out your other work on a slow day (of which there are far too many). Please consider posting more vignettes like this, even if I don't particularly care for *any* of the characters here.

Thanks for posting,

Wulf

demantoiddemantoidover 12 years ago
I love a clever well written story

Thank you Gary APB...I have a wonderful self satisfied grin on my face. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

xtremeddxtremeddover 12 years ago
Amazing tale well told...

GaryAPB,

And amazing to have you share another great story with us. Tom' atonement? Penny certainly must be a great gal.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Wellcome Back

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
HE FORGOT THAT ALL ROSES HAVE THORNS

and being pricked is part of the smell. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
that was a very good story.....bill

you have talent....keep writting...please

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
you are good!

Gary, please, keep writing.

Mikael from Argentina.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 11 years ago
Bingo

Didn't see it coming! Should be required reading before being granted a marriage license (or buying condoms in a gas station bathroom.)

5*

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 11 years ago
Busted

It didn't dawn on me until hours after I posted the prior comment. First, I would quibble with Kirkal's comment that Sweetie went into detail about her failed marriage, including photos of the trysts! The least said to a future prospect about a marital failure, the better!

HOWEVER, she WOULD have told Nick about her FATHER being a senior officer in the Foreign Service (but certainly not his role in data collection...Hubby told THAT to Nick, and Nick would have made that connection immediately. Might, or might not, have interrupted or informed Hubby.

I am also curious about the insistence of Dunk in protecting Sweetie's interests...maybe he is also a friend of Dad's!

Still a FIVE

newjaynenewjayneover 11 years ago
Just found this one

and I'm so glad that I did.

Superb story-writing! It makes beginners like me despair!

Please write more! Pretty, pretty please?

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
Intriguing

Very well written. Great twist in the end. I didn't see it coming. The ex-wife deserves a faithful husband and now she will have one, unknowingly helped by her cheating ex. Excellent.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 11 years ago
Loved it!

Such a sad story, then an interesting twist at the end. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Great story! Burn the bastard!

Got off too easy. Should have given him HIV

chytownchytownover 10 years ago
Good Read****

Very enjoyable story.Thanks for sharing.

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
#2 ONE SHOULD BE AWARE

when confessing to strangers, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Quite the read'

Thanks for a well - crafted story, had me going to the truly bitter end. If I had read this forty years ago I might not have strayed. I may have been caught at some time but not a word has been said. Lessons to be learned from this one.

impo_58impo_58over 9 years ago
Cheaters...

No matter men or women cheater deserve all of bad that happens to them...

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
TALKING TO THE ENEMY

and telling trade secrets. TK U MLJ LV NV

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Knew It

I knew that Nick was Dominic.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Hypocrisy

It's interesting how many cheating wives here expect their husbands to accept the same excuses that Penelope rejected.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good to see you back!

n/t

xtchrxtchrabout 9 years ago
The shoe is on the other foot!

This girl had her act together. The acting job when he came home was brilliant. It made him feel what she was feeling since she found out that he was a cheater. I liked how she used the typical cheating excuses on him in her preemptive strike. Finally an intelligent woman on this site. He is a cheater and deserves whatever he gets. Thanks for a creative and interesting story.

Pappy7Pappy7about 9 years ago
Good twist to your

story. Excuses are excuses. And a cheater is a cheater. Well played Gary. Fairly predictable but took nothing away from your story.

sinsational83sinsational83about 9 years ago
Amazing

This, your story was good. I really liked the twist in it. the words of wisdom that was expressed was truly inspiring to the guy to keep him on track with his own marriage, and to find out they were talking about the same woman/wife was really a surprising end. Good job with this story, I really liked the whole thing.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago
Second time through...

a great moral story.

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 8 years ago
So sad

As bad as Tom was, he wasn't so far gone that he just didn't give a shit. He was able to pull his head out of his ass and feel for someone else for a change. There's hope for him yet. The serendipity of saving his ex's fiancé from following in his footsteps is genius. A big five stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Nope. I don't think so.

Nick knew he was toast. He knew he was a cheater. I think he quit his job and moved far, far away and started over. After awhile he gave no thought to her because there are always more fish in the sea and more women to love. By driving him away all Polly got was what she could net from selling the house. He cleaned everything else out when he left and cancelled the credit cards. She never heard from him again. When her attorney couldn't find him she filed for abandonment. It took over a year for the divorce to come through. Once he knew she wouldn't take him back, he moved on. She was left alone with only her thoughts. The moral of this mess? Cheaters just don't care about anyone but themselves.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
prose

Is good .

Your choices of limiting your protagonists in your stories to being happy faithful cuckolds or a lonely old unforgiving kind of suck in your stories.

Ib_SaysIb_Saysabout 8 years ago

A vapid little twist, that turns a story from depressing to just plain annoying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I believe the word is...

IRONY OR IS IT IRONIC PERHAPS IRONICAL

No matter POLLY OR PENNY OR PENELOPE SURE CAN CHOOSE 'EM

Marries a guy who travels frequently for work. He cheats. They divorce.

Gets engaged to a guy who travels frequently for work

HE WILL CHEAT THEY WILL DIVORCE

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
Great twist!

As painful as this story is, it was terrifically written and electrifying at times.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow!

Title says it all.

266xxyz266xxyzabout 7 years ago
5*s

Don't know if it was me or her at the start but...the truth hurts.

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
"My name's Nick, by the way"

Telegraphed the ending waaaay back there in the beginning!

A well-done story with a protagonist who fucks himself over pretty well. RIP.

criscrossincriscrossinalmost 7 years ago
Lovely twist at the end

Very enjoyable

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Excellent story

Very good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Complete dogshit.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 5 years ago
Great change from the usual fare!

I enjoyed the twist a great deal. It's a great change from the usual stuff here. And the story was well told.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 5 years ago
Brilliant!

Well plotted, with several twists and turns and great finish. Masterful storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A Mile ...

... beyond the obvious.

Not boring, not shallow, and a successful attempt at a morally relevant story. Encouraging and so important

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Good story

Enjoyed it. Long, but worth the read. Nice twist in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Could have been me

I traveled my whole business life. Some weeks I was gone from Sunday evening until Friday night. I could never count the times I was tempted, even when I was well into my 50s. Once when I had to be on-site for 3 weeks on a major project that I was managing, I fell. I beat myself up over it for weeks and learned my lesson. I loved my wife too much to risk destroying myself and our marriage (going on 58 now).

I hope this well written story stops someone from ruining lives for a few minutes of self pleasures.

detroitdave

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
You did it!

I really can't praise you more GaryAPB. You did it!

After reading I am looking at my tablet screen and thinking in my dear wife, the love of my life. Precious!

SignedBTWSignedBTWabout 3 years ago
I Thought

It pretty obvious that Nick was Dominic in this fine story. The only other thing that comes to mind is "Tom, you asshole." But I do wonder if Nick is going to tell Polly about this encounter. Signed: BTW

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionabout 3 years ago
Again I'm impressed.

Bravo! I never picked up on it until the very end. I guess he really did love Penny/Polly. He had to love her to let her go and still feel the need to protect her.

5 Stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

MC no !! Ex wife Yes bar friend no! Wrote a story that only one is worth it

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 2 years ago

Nice turnabout in the story, but Polly stems from Mary, not Penelope. Mary sometimes became Molly, and rhyming made it Polly. Sorry.

kamdev99008kamdev99008over 2 years ago

Interesting story with amazing twist

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Great story, even better ending.

nixroxnixroxover 2 years ago

1 star - this is just a wretched story.

Thors_FistThors_Fistover 2 years ago

Great story with a wonderful twist.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

Excellent story, and well written, nice twist.

Now here's the shocker for the misogynistic chest thumpers....this story is far closer to the truth about men being cheaters than all those cheating wives stories.

Sadly its going to upset one certain commenter who wets himself while telling us since the 1920's they've been hiding the fact that women cheat more than men do.

ErotFanErotFanover 2 years ago

Excellent story with a twist worthy of O. Henry. And see? You CAN write a short story!

Helen1899Helen1899about 2 years ago

Great story with wonderful twists. Left me feeling sad and empty, but he got his just desserts

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Just Desserts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story. Sad. But Tom made his bed and maybe he taught Nick a lesson. Interesting how many commenters flip out when thr husband is the adulterer. That is more accurate. 29% of married men have at least one extramarital affair by their 50s, vs 19% of women. Ironically 58% of men have an infidelity (of any type) at least once in their life in an exclusive relationship (of any type), while 54% of women.

DrgwngDrgwngover 1 year ago

Anon below is quoting old numbers. Things started changing rapidly in the mid 90’s and now the shift is going the other way, especially among gen x,y,z. The younger folks now have women exceeding male rates . Male rates have stayed stagnant and level for the last decades while female infidelity has tripled. There many other factors in play also, as the ever increasing numbers of submissive males adds cuckolding into the mix, which is almost exclusively done to males, but is not counted as infidelity……

DrgwngDrgwngover 1 year ago

And then of course we have good ole iameasel below who never ever accepts the fact that things have changed and also refuses to accept that infidelity is at parity now by most studies. Naturally, an open mind is well beyond capability, even though number are easy to research. They have been spewing the same drivel for a good long time now without any concept of the changes occurring in society.

jmmj5jmmj5about 1 year ago

This was excellent...

Truly. 90+% of the time in this category it's the wife that strays, but this was a great view from the other direction.

Nice twist at the end with Polly/Penny.

Write another.

usaretusaretabout 1 year ago

Read it through the end, even though I had surmised it long before. Well put together.

SarahwithloveSarahwithlove12 months ago

That was a well written piece of literature; unique in its focus and powerful in its message. Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

To Drgwng, no the other anonymous who posted those numbers is accurate. Those are as of 2018. Extramarital affairs at least once for women climbed 50% from 12.5% to 19% since 1990s. Look it up. Do the research. Or not and just believe whatever you want. *shrug* no.ome cares.

Anyways good story. The ex husband did his ex wife a solid with her fiance. Unfortunately her new marriage is still probably doomed.

deependerdeepender10 months ago

Stories about self-righteous hypocrites are boring regardless of the context.

leofric35leofric359 months ago

Good story with a nice twist. Saw it coming but that doesn’t make it less good. Well written and it certainly draws you in. I like your work. Thanks

BAnde53507BAnde535078 months ago

I didn't see that twist coming! Fucking brilliant! Made a great story a five-star story. Well done.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous