The Ballad of Zachery Carson Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

"How long I been out?"

"Counting the day and a half on the trail, I'd say four days. That about right Lady Astor?"

Nodding her head, Kathleen answered, "Yes, four days. Although he did wake up now and then while we were on the trail."

"I remember something about a cart and being hot and hurting," Zach said. Using his good right arm, he pushed himself higher up against the headboard.

"He shouldn't over exert himself," Dr. Simpson said to Kathleen.

"I know but he's like a stubborn horse," she replied.

"Hey. I'm right here," Zach said. "Y'all quit talking about me like I'm not in the room."

"Sorry," the doctor responded. "We've gotten use to you being asleep." He smiled at Zach. "What would you like to know son?"

"I'd like to know how Kathleen and I got here. Last I remember was passing out on that rock trail over the saddleback."

"If you eat all your soup, I'll tell you," Kathleen said as she pushed another spoonful into his mouth. She continued to spoon fed Zach until the bowl was empty. Every time he tried to talk, she'd shove the spoon in his mouth again.

"Now, let's make you more comfortable and I'll tell you a story," Kathleen told him. She helped Zach to sit a little higher and put a rolled up blanker behind his shoulders.

"After you passed out, I really didn't know what to do," she began. "A few minutes went by and I realized that if we stayed out there, neither of us would make it. I remembered how you'd watered your horse so I took your hat, by the way you'll need a new hat, that one got to be a little bit gamey. Anyway I took your hat and a canteen back down onto the mesa. I thought I might use the water to coax one of the dead men's horses close enough to capture it. If I could get a horse, I thought we could make it to Tucson."

Zach yawned. "Sorry," he said. But very shortly, his head slumped to the side and he was asleep again.

Dr. Simpson patted Kathleen on the hand. "It's normal for him to tire easy. He's been through a lot. Our Zach will wake up in a few hours and he'll be hungry. I'll go arrange for some more soup and maybe a biscuit."

The doctor was right, three hours later Zach was awake again Kathleen was still by his side and went to bring Dr. Simpson. He sent her out of the room while he examined Zach. As he finished, a young lad from the café brought in some soup and biscuits. Zach ate all his soup and a biscuit under Kathleen's watchful eye. Then she continued her story.

"From my hiding spot I'd seen the cart pull up behind the Comancheros, then the driver abandoned it and retreated from the battle. When I got down onto the flat, it was still there. The horse had wandered and pulled the cart into a big bush. I gave the horse some water to calm him down and then backed him up to free the cart. As I was leading the horse and cart over to the pass, another horse must have smelled the water and came to me. I gave him some water too and tied him to the cart."

Kathleen smiled and then chuckled. "The cart contained some food stuffs, water and those robber's ill gotten gains. I threw everything except a couple of blankets, a little food, and the water out of the cart to lighten it and we started for Tucson. Switching the horses back and forth to pull the cart we made good time. Do you know how heavy you are? I do, because I lifted you into the cart."

"Thank you Milady," Zach said and then grinned. "Maybe we should have got one of the heroes in the dime novels to save us."

"Your deeds were heroic enough for me Zach," Kathleen replied. She held up a newspaper. "There's a very nice story about you and me and our adventure in the paper." Kathleen gave him a wicked little grin and added, "The man that sold me that book about Kit Carson was singing a song as he hawked his wares; The Ballad of Kit Carson he said it was. Maybe I should write a song about you. I could call it, 'The Ballad of Zachery Carson'; maybe I should write one of those dime novels about our experiences."

"I think the sun and heat made you loco Kathleen," Zach said and shook his head.

Turning to Dr. Simpson he asked, "How long will I be laid up?"

"Another four or five days I think. The bullet didn't do a lot of critical damage; of course it doesn't feel that way to you. We'll get some real food in you tomorrow and get you up and moving around a little. After a few days I'll let you stay out of bed if you promise to take it easy."

The next morning Dr. Simpson brought Zach a scrambled egg, a piece of toast, and a cup of weak coffee. "Let's see if you can keep this down," he said. "If you do we can get you something more substantial for supper."

Later that day, Zach has just finished eating his supper when Kathleen came into his room followed by an older gentleman.

"Zach, this is my father, Sir Gerald Astor," she said. "Father, this is Zach Carson, the man that saved me."

"I say Mr. Carson; it's a pleasure to meet you. And thank you for helping Kathleen." Astor's voice and tone left no doubt what country he hailed from as he shook Zach's good hand. Sir Gerald Astor was tall and slim with dark reddish brown hair, long sideburns and a bushy moustache to match. He had large hands and a fair complexion which had the beginnings of a sun tan.

Pointing at the bandage around Zach's shoulder he added, "Got nicked a bit did you? I hope you are not wounded too grievously."

"It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Astor. I think it was more of Kathleen and me saving each other. I wouldn't have made it to Tucson without her quick thinking." Zach ran his right hand over the bandage on his left shoulder. "Doc says I'll be up and around in a couple of days."

"When you are 'up and around' as you say, stop by and see us at the Grand Hotel. Kathleen and I will be in town for several days," Astor suggested. "Till then, good night." He turned and left the room.

"Father's like a whirlwind sometimes," Kathleen offered with a smile. "Please do come see us." Then she followed her father.

To Be Continued...

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers
12