The Beast Within

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,280 Followers

Sweet Water was undeterred. She accepted that Laresa would always occupy the shaman's heart, and she was content to share that space with the genie whom she had never met. Bear resisted, but Sweet Water would not be cast aside without a battle. She found the breach in his defenses, the need for companionship Laresa had awakened within him. It took a full turning of the seasons, but Sweet Water at last awakened him to the joy of life once more.

Their son had been born a year earlier, and now he had a daughter as well. Bear knelt next to Sweet Water, looking closer at the tiny child in her arms. Moonlight reflected off his daughter's slick, full head of hair, reminding Bear for a moment of the silvery flashes from Laresa's tresses. The babe cooed – the sounds very close to the tune of an ancient song of the tribe. Tears in his eyes, and a wide smile on his face, bear said softly, "Moonsong."

"It is a beautiful name. Moonsong she shall be," Sweet Water agreed.

Bear looked up to the stars, wondering where Laresa might be now, and whether his decision had been the correct one.

Sweet Water stroked his arm and said, "I pray for her happiness, Great Bear. You must trust in the Great Spirit. Never before have our people been led astray in his guidance."

"You know my thoughts as though they were your own," Bear said, turning back to her. "It is my place to guide the tribe in the Spirit, yet you guide me."

"As it should be. I believe Moonhair would feel so as well, would it have been possible for her to have remained at your side," Sweet Water responded with a weary grin. "The night grows chill."

Picking his wife and child up in his still powerful arms, he carried them back into the teepee.

()o~~~~***~~~~o()

Within her ring, Laresa awakened. Anger and misery both clawed at her, the dream of Bear and Sweet Water ripping into her heart. To think that he might forget her so quickly, moving on with his life to another – after all they had shared – pained her greatly. Tears rolled down Laresa's face, even as her teeth clenched tight against a growl.

Then the end of the dream returned to her.

The look upon Bear's face as he gazed at the stars was one Laresa knew well. Sweet Water's words and Bear's response confirmed for Laresa that his contemplative, longing gaze was related to her.

Though the lie that separated them pained her, the thought that perhaps he loved her still tempered the emotion. Perhaps this is more than a dream, she thought, It seemed so real, as though I stood beside them.

Sighing, Laresa wished them well, if indeed the dream were a vision of reality. What was done was done, and nothing could change that now. She could not claim to love Bear if she wished him loneliness, simply because she felt pain herself.

Hugging one of her cushions, Laresa settled in and drifted back off into the long sleep between Masters.

()o~~~~***~~~~o()

Coyote opened his eyes.

"Thank you," Nathifa said gratefully.

"Through her have the people prospered, and through her sacrifice shall the ways of the people be preserved. More peace than I can give her does she deserve," Coyote responded.

Nathifa sighed, "I think she'll come to understand in time. Will she find her freedom, as did I?"

"That remains unclear, but she walks the path," Coyote replied. "With each new pain, and with each new joy, she grows in wisdom and power. It that may she survive the trials that await her – to seize the moment when it comes. She is strong, and I believe she shall be free."

"I pray it so. Be strong, Laresa. Be free, my dear friend."

()o~~~~***~~~~o()

Caught your breath yet, D? If so, then I failed in my mission *laugh*

Thanks to Roust for his assistance and editing, as always. Credit goes to Red for creating such a wonderful character to write, and it's a pleasure to be able to borrow our beautiful Djinn for these tales. Severusmax's mention of Dark Beast in his chapter sparked this story almost instantly in my head, and I knew I had to tell this tale once I closed out my Ch. 15 with "Of the People".

One more tale left to tell, to relate Laresa's adventures between Ch. 15 and 16 of the chain. The next one is going to be a dark chapter in Laresa's history...

Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,280 Followers