All Comments on 'The Binding Potion'

by 49greg

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
ReiDeBastosReiDeBastosover 10 years ago
Annoying format

Listing/describing the "Cast of Characters" before the story, rather than letting the story itself describe them, was a bad move, and made for a poor narrative, as the narrative seemed to assume the reader had read and memorized, or constantly referred back to, that list. I read as far as two or three characters showing up before I gave up on trying to read it.

TooCleverByHalfTooCleverByHalfover 10 years ago
Distractingly Odd

As far as the up-front exposition goes, show don't tell.

Scenes tend to start and end abruptly, and it's distracting to use letters, especially vowels, to delineate scene breaks. In my mind I heard a voice saying "ooooooOOOOooooo" between each scene. The scene titles also fall under the "show don't tell" guideline.

The ending was flatter than Kansas. The last thought of the story is a piece of worthless exposition. It doesn't end, actually- the words just stop.

You may have good qualities as a writer, but they are disguised by poor plotting and poor structuring. Try thinking of every scene as a mini-story, and try eliminating any need for anything other than the text itself. Those may break you out and let some better aspects of your writing show through.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Awful, just awful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
...

I enjoyed it, haters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

The format, almost a play but not, got in the way of the story. The lack of identifying the speakers in the long dialogues made it clunky.

Basically, the story was harmed by the odd method of presentation, in my opinion.

Sidney43Sidney43over 10 years ago

It seemed a bit odd at times, but you brought it together nicely. Was there a potion, or was it simply vanilla extract? Was there a spell, or simply a long standing attraction to a woman he failed to consciously recognize. A bit of mystery is good for the soul.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Very confusing

Maybe a story in there somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. I simply went back and forth too much trying to figure out who was talking. You lost me.

lcluckylcluckyabout 10 years ago
Enjoyed it

A lot of negativity from people who can't appreciate a good story. I liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
OK, I'm not some wimpy romantic,

but every time I read this I cry. I can't help it. I'm a middle aged man. I've played football and I've been in the Army and I drink beer and watch sports all weekend. And I cried reading this story. Damn well done.

ohhfineohhfinealmost 8 years ago
Outstanding

Absolutely loved the story, ending was a bit weird but from the mement I started all I could think is nice, nice, nice

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Oh the naysayers

Many previous commenters didn't think much of this story - they should have reminded themselves it's a romance story with a dash of magic and very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
that ooo though

Thank god I’m not the only one who thought of somebody yelling “ ooooOOOOoooo” when I saw the seperations

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
user49greg@49greg
452 Followers
49greg has somehow pissed off the owners of Lit and can no longer use the forum side of things. He doesn't know what he did wrong, but was playing with his profile there. He's taking any story making to another ID.

SIMILAR Stories