The Blameless Bystander Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I knew that I would have to find you before you left," Nathan said.

"Well, Nathan," she sighed, "you have found me and I am leaving." She turned to James. "I'll see you on Wednesday morning. Good night, all."

As she sauntered out of the yard James was saved. At least he told himself so.

"We've got one more day of vacation until school starts," Nathan said, putting his arm on James' shoulder. "How about a round of golf tomorrow?"

"I'd like to," James replied. "The problem is that I haven't got my clubs here yet."

The truth was that James hadn't played in several years. The clubs had been collecting dust in his parents' house.

"No problem!" Nathan assured. "I've got an extra set. I'll loan them to you."

James had no excuses.

"I'll pick you up at ten tomorrow morning," Nathan said, not waiting for an answer.

"Alright," James agreed. "I'll give you my address."

"No need." Nathan said. "I already know where you live."

**********

James had already taken his morning run, followed by a shower and breakfast as he waited for Nathan to pick him up for their round of golf. The weather was holding up. It was a perfect day for golf.

James knew the game. He played once and a while when he was a priest—not often enough to be good but enough to hold his own. He was rusty, not having played recently.

He saw Nathan's SUV in the distance and it finally stopped where he was standing. "I've got a set of clubs in the back for you," he called from the driver's seat. "They're my son's, actually," Nathan explained as James climbed in the passenger's side. "He bought a new set when he graduated from college. He keeps this set at the house for when he comes home to visit."

"Thanks for inviting me, Nathan." James said as Nathan put the SUV in gear.

"Glad to." Nathan shrugged. "The golf course isn't far from here—just on the edge of the village. It's nice enough, but not real challenging. It's convenient. The next closest is twenty miles away."

"That would suit me fine." James answered modestly. "I haven't played at all this year."

"I asked Ed Cassidy to join us today." Nathan continued. "Ed is the Business Manager of the Teachers' Union. Even though we're on different sides of the table at times, we're friends. We have been since we were in Bates High School ourselves."

"That sounds like a long time!" James made an attempt at a joke. Nathan laughed only a little. "I'm surprised that he wasn't at your party last night."

"It wouldn't have looked good in front of all the other teachers." Nathan replied tersely.

"By the way, thanks again for the invitation. I had a nice time. Everything was great." James added, remembering his manners.

"It was our pleasure to have you," Nathan returned the courtesy. "It was a shame that you didn't get a chance to meet my wife, Jan. She would have enjoyed meeting you."

Nathan pulled the SUV into the golf course parking lot and found a parking space.

"There's Ed's car." Nathan said. "I'm sure that he's in the locker room changing. We'll meet him in there."

Ed Cassidy rose from the bench when he saw Nathan and James approaching his locker. He was a big, burly man, about Nathan's age, but not as tall and certainly not as fit. He had black, curly hair and a thick black moustache.

"Hey, Nathan!" he called out as he stood up. He thrust out a huge, hairy forearm that ended in a meaty hand. He and Nathan shook hands.

"Ed, this is James O'Toole, the new teacher that I told you about," Nathan announced.

Ed thrust out his arm once again and grabbed James' hand. "Glad to meet 'cha!" he exclaimed as he shook it. "Welcome to Bates. I hope that you have good luck here."

"I hope so, too," James replied.

Ed released James' hand. "Do what this guy says and you won't need luck." Ed pointed at Nathan.

The three men ventured out of the locker room and into the pro shop. James stepped to the cashier to pay his greens fees.

"That's not necessary, James." Nathan called to him. "Ed and I are members. You're playing as our guest."

James shrugged sheepishly and thanked them. "You can buy the drinks after the round." Ed consoled him.

"You might want to think about taking out a membership here next year after you're established in the community. Ed and I will sponsor you. Think about it," Nathan advised.

James didn't play great, but respectably. Nathan was a low handicapper. Ed hit the ball hard but sprayed it around. It was a pleasant day to play golf and the men were enjoying themselves.

On the fifth hole James' and Nathan's drives were in the left-center of the fairway. Ed had sliced to the right. As they sat in their cart in the fairway waiting for Ed to hit Nathan turned to James.

"Vicki Morgan is quite an 'aggressive' woman, isn't she?" he said.

"Yes, she took me a little bit by surprise, I'm afraid," James answered. Nathan nodded.

"It's important in this town that people don't get the wrong impression." Nathan answered. "I know that it's your business; you're single and all. If people start buzzing about you it could make things difficult. That's why I stepped in last night. I didn't want you getting off on the wrong foot."

"I guess that I'm inexperienced in these matters. I've never had much practice," James answered.

"I figured as much. Sometimes I need to step in, to keep things the way they ought to be. It's important for all of us. There are certain expectations. It's up to me to make sure that those expectations are met," Nathan pronounced.

"I don't know what to say, Nathan. I was just having a quiet beer. It just happened before I knew it. Well—nothing really happened. I'm sorry," James apologized.

"Sometimes people get caught up in things and it takes them over. I was making sure that it didn't happen to you. I'm your friend," Nathan assured him.

"Thanks, Nathan." James answered weakly.

"After you've been around awhile you'll get the hang of it. If you take up with a woman, be discrete, unless you have long-term intentions. In that case, be discrete in a different way," Nathan continued.

"I think that I'll just keep to myself for awhile," James conceded. "For right now I'll just concentrate on teaching my four sections."

"That's the spirit!" Nathan cried. After a pause he glanced at Ed finishing his struggles in the rough. "It's your turn to hit," he said.

************

"Let's go in the clubhouse and have a beer." Nathan suggested as they finished up at the eighteenth green. He shot a 78; James a 93. It wasn't Ed's day and he stopped keeping score after the twelfth hole.

They found a table away from the bar. A waitress brought them a pitcher of beer and three mugs.

"James taught at a private school where the standards are quite high—strictly college prep." Nathan remarked to Ed. "I hired him because I thought that we needed some of that experience."

"You'll find a different atmosphere here," Ed turned to James. "Most of the students look at Math as a necessary evil that they have to get through to graduate. Most of what they learn they'll never use again. I wouldn't expect too much."

"What about those that want to go to college?" James asked. "They need it for any science or engineering."

"They get private tutors." Ed replied. "It's worth it to them and it gives the teachers a source of extra income."

"I already explained that to him," Nathan said. "The priorities here are Shop, Sports and Social Studies—in that order."

"I understand the first two," James acknowledged. "I don't see why Social Studies comes ahead of Math, Science and English. Where I taught, it was the opposite."

"People here want their kids to come out of schools with the same view of life that they have. We do our part in the school in some things. The churches do the rest." Nathan instructed.

Ed nodded his head. "It's different here. We're set in our ways."

"Here's the issue." Nathan leaned forward, the tone of his voice more intense. "We can't be set in our ways anymore. We have a lot of pressure to upgrade our Math program. If we don't meet the new State Standards we'll get written up as a sub-standard school. You know what that means."

Ed shook his head. James was confused, as well.

"It means that our State Aid formula will be in jeopardy. That means less money. We'll have to increase taxes or cut salaries."

"Now, you've got my attention!" Ed conceded.

"Not only that; some of our graduates that have gone to college have come home saying that they can't compete with students from bigger schools because their math and science preparation isn't as good," Nathan went on. "They're competing with students like those that James has been turning out for years. People are starting to talk."

Ed nodded that he was starting to understand.

"Without a good Math program you won't be able to do much with your science program, either," James chipped in. Nathan nodded his head in grateful agreement.

"We've worked together a long time, Ed," Nathan said.

"Ever since I was the left tackle and you were the Left End when we won the Sectional Championship," Ed replied.

"If we don't make some changes now, people will change us!" Nathan said. "They'll want new people in charge, and that means my job, and in time that will put pressure on yours, too."

Ed sat silently, a worried look on his face. "What are you suggesting?"

"We have to start upgrading the Math Department. I need a good person in charge. None of the current teachers can do it. I want to put James in charge after the Christmas holiday. It will mean that he'll be jumping over a number of teachers with more seniority. They all want to be the Chair. It means an extra ten thousand a year."

"You are giving me a lot of headaches, Nathan," Ed answered. "I can guarantee you that Doris will file a grievance, maybe others. James, here, isn't even part of the union contract yet."

"I know that, Ed. That's why I wanted to have this get together, first." Nathan replied, still leaning forward over the table. "We really need this."

"What would you do differently?" Ed turned to James.

"James didn't know what was on my mind until this moment," Nathan cautioned.

"I think that each teacher should take four sections." James volunteered. "That way there could be smaller classes. We should have advanced sections for college-bound students. Students and parents should be brought in at the start of ninth grade to tell them what they can expect. We have to set goals for the State Test. We..."

"Whoa!" Ed cried. "Nathan, you've got a real revolutionary here. I'm not sure that we're ready."

"Ready or not—we need it." Nathan asserted.

"And, I don't believe that teachers should get paid extra to tutor students who need help!" James finished his thought.

"You're really going for it all!" Ed chuckled. "Have you been to the Board about this?" he asked, looking at Nathan.

"You know that I never go to them until you and I work things out first." Nathan answered.

"Cut the Department Chair stipend to five thousand. Then everyone will want it less." Ed suggested. "Say nothing about your plans to the other teachers—that means you, too, James. We might have to upgrade the tutoring program as a wedge. Get ready for some unhappy times, but we'll work it out."

"One more thing." Nathan stated, as they rose from the table.

"Oh, what's that?" Ed raised an eyebrow.

"It's the reason that James left his post at Catholic High School in Rochester. He was a priest and decided not to be one any more."

"Hmm!" Ed scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Any more to the story—you know what I mean?"

"No." James testified. "There is not."

"In that case, it's your business." Ed assured him.

James left a tip for the waitress. The three men left the clubhouse together.

**********

"It would be better if we kept our conversations in the bar to ourselves." Nathan admonished as he stopped in the driveway of James' rooming house.

James was naïve, but even he realized how volatile the subject would prove to be.

"I was serious, James. I have to get that Math Department in shape. You'll be a big part of it, if you stick with me, but you have to let me do it my way."

"I think that I'll just concentrate on teaching my sections—until you call me. Just let me know," James assured him.

"Concentrate on keeping your nose clean, as well," Nathan warned. "With your background as an ex-priest, the people in the town will be less forgiving if something should come up."

"I haven't had a chance to get it dirty," James protested.

"You will!" Nathan assured him. "You're a prime target—a single guy, new in town. When they get wind of your being a priest, that session with Vicki last night will be just a warm-up."

"I get it." James answered, a little impatient.

"Sorry, James," Nathan backed off. "It's just that something like that will take down all my plans."

"Aright, no problem," James assured him.

"Something like what?" James asked himself as Nathan drove off.

Late that night James sat in the dark with a glass of scotch beside him. It wasn't easy to get to sleep; he had plenty to think about. For one thing, he was taking on a new job in a new environment in the morning. He had always taught motivated students—or, at least students with motivated parents. From what people had told him, it would be different in Bates. He never had girls in his classroom. He knew how to handle young men. He wondered about the girls. He would have to find his way through all of it.

Nathan's insistence on managing his private life was annoying. He already sized his mentor up as a person who covered his bases, but this was going too far. He mused at how someone could interfere in something that didn't exist.

His new job and Nathan's annoyances would not have been enough to keep him awake. It was something else that kept him piqued, his pulse a little more rapid, his expectations honed. For it, he would tolerate Nathan as overlord. It made the challenges of the coming days seem like stepping stones. It was what made him feel like he was in Guatemala again.

He cared little for the extra money that came with the job of reforming the Math Department. They could cut his pay and he would still accept it. It was a chance for him to be a person that people needed to help them in a worthy goal. It had been so in his Central America years. It would soon be that way again. It would give him something that the priesthood could not.

He knew that he could do the job. His skills had never been in doubt. He saw truth in triangles and parabolas. In truth was happiness. He would gain it for himself and pass it on to any person to whom he could. His priestly vows had been his chains. He had sensed it, but not known it. From the ashes of his doubts God's wisdom rose up to him like a phoenix. Best of all, James could believe in Him again, on his own terms, now that the salvation of his mission in Bates was delivered.

He drank the last of his glass of whiskey and shuffled back to bed. He thought about pleasuring himself, but decided not to. He needed no further relief; that which he had found for his soul was enough. Contented, he finally fell asleep.

**********

TO BE CONTINUED...

Dear Readers,

Thanks for reading. I hope that you're enjoying the story so far. If you have thoughts or questions about it, please send me a message, either through the Public comments Section, or the private e-mail service offered by this site.

Best regards,

Autumn Writer

12