The Boys in Blue Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

He was introduced to the swimming pool, were Gale would at first support him while he kicked with his legs. Later he would swim trying to do the breath stroke or crawl.

At the end of each session, he would always be covered in sweat after it, and in some pain, but he would never admit that to Ted.

Gale would then give him a massage, teasing out the knots that had formed in his body.

Early in December he had an e-mail from Squadron Leader Dave Robinson his old CO. Robert and he had been good friends.

Between them, Robert being senior Flight Lieutenant had run the Squadron. After establishing that Dave had Skype, they switched over.

"I hear that you have been put up for the VC." Dave began "congratulations."

"Dave its crazy, I get put up for a gong for crashing my aircraft into a building. There was nothing heroic about it; it was just the logical thing to do at the time." Robert replied.

"Maybe, but you could have taken the safe option and ejected away from the enemy."

It seemed from what Dave said that the Squadron had returned in early November to the UK and had gone on extended home leave, but he was back now at Renton.

Robert noticed that Dave seemed somewhat with drawn, not at all his usual hale and hearty self.

Finally, Dave came out with it.

"Robbie," the name used for him in the squadron. "You may not know, but they are with drawing the Harrier from Afghanistan. There is a rumour that the squadron may be broken up, and the guys re-assigned."

"Oh, as bad as that," was all Robert could think to say.

.

"There's more" continued Dave, "I'm thinking of getting out, Jane has been on to me for ages to do that, I'm losing seeing the boy's growing up."

Robert knew Dave had two sons; they must be around seven and nine now he thought.

"If I get re-assigned it will most likely be C17's or Hercules C130's or may be Tankers. I'm 38 next, too old for fast flyers."

He paused before continuing. "I've been made an offer from Virgin Atlantic; the salary is way above my current pay scale, it would certainly help in the boy's education".

Robert was at a loss, as to what to say to his old friend, but he knew that what Dave said regarding RAF policy was probably true.

Finally, he said, "Dave I would hate like hell to see you go, but if that's your decision then you have my full support and best wishes."

"Thanks Robbie, I knew you would understand."

After chatting about the other members of the Squadron, Robert finally asked the question that had been on his mind for some time.

He had tried to find any reports of the incident at the wadi, but because he had been

-Out of it- so to speak, due to sedation and by the time he had come round it was old news.

"Dave what the hell happened that day at the wadi, there must have been over a hundred Taliban's involved in that battle."

"According to Intelligence reports more like a hundred and thirty", Dave replied, "Most of it is still classified. But as near as we can tell they were using that building you destroyed to house all the raw opium resin from the area.

The day our guys went in to check out the village, was most likely the same day they intended to move it over the border, to the refining sheds in Pakistan, hence the numbers.

They had planned it well, if you remember all the coalition flying resources where up North supporting the Americans big push in the Torra Borra Mountains, how they knew that, is still being investigated.

Some one amongst them had a keen military brain; the smart money is that it was an Iranian officer.

Anyhow, its thought a look out spotted the dust cloud from our patrols vehicles. They knew that the patrol wouldn't be able to drive into the village due to the wadi and the collapsed building's blocking the track.

So they hid in cellars. The clean up Company that went in the next day found them. But the smart part was, they knew our operating procedure; they knew that before a foot patrol went in that we would set up a mortar base to cover them. The fifty calibre machine guns on the vehicles being useless due to the trees on the green zone, blocking most of the village out.

The signal for the start of the action was when three of the insurgents popped up from a collapsed building with RPG's, and blasted the mortar team at point blank range. Killing three and wounding the other five but, in the process destroying the mortars.

The rest of them came pouring out of their hidey-holes; and our guys dived for the only cover available to them, the wadi.

Whether they had intended to spring the trap after our guys had passed that ford is open to speculation. You know, what happened then, Robbie.

"The next day," Dave continued, "A full company strength patrol, backed by Apache's returned.

The building was still smouldering. The men had to use their gas masks due to the opium fumes. It's believed that there could have been a couple of tons of resin that went up in flames. The troops now call the village Happy Valley." He said with a laugh, "Either way the Taliban have a severe dent in their war chest that resin could have been worth two or three hundred million dollars as refined Heroin in Europe or the States." Dave concluded.

"Wow" was all Robert could think to say.

After chatting, for a few more minutes Robert signed off promising to keep in touch.

*********

By the beginning of the New Year Robert had graduated from the wheel chair to crutches, and then later to support sticks. Each had been a milestone in his recovery. Being able to move around freely was a welcome relief after his confinement of his bed.

He was now able to use the en-suit bathroom and toilet unaided.

His right leg, and back still showed the raw red scars of the operations he had undergone, but Gale had assured him that, in time, they would almost disappear.

Some nights he would experience pain from his leg, which would build until he was forced to call a nurse to administer a pain reliever. He always hated the fact that he still needed it.

Sir Royston was sitting at his desk, when Ann entered with the mail; as usual she had placed the envelopes in order of priority.

The top one had a MoD logo on it. Slitting it open with his ivory letter opener he quickly scanned the single page.

"It seems Ann that our hero is to be invested by Her Majesty with the Victoria Cross. MoD wants to know if he will be fit enough by the second week in February to receive it."

"Oh, I'm so pleased to hear that," said Ann a big smile breaking out on her face. "I know all the girls will be pleased for him."

'Um well don't mention it yet, its not official until Robert gets confirmation, and it still is down to me to say if he's fit or not."

"Oh, course Sir Royston", said Ann closing the door behind her.

He sat back in his chair a rueful smile on his face.

Strange he thought; I've had the top sports and movie stars pass through here, and yet to the thirty four permanent staff of the grange they are just patients.

Yet, with Robert the females act like love struck calves whilst the men have the utmost respect for him, perhaps it's the fact he is their own genuine hero that they are nursing back to health.

He had to admit to him self, that he too had grown fond of the boy. The courage he had shown through out his stay, never complaining when Sir Royston knew he must have been in a great deal of pain. But always ready with a smile.

Yes, he conceded the boy does deserve the VC.

Robert was officially notified two weeks later.

Sir Royston had conferred with his senior staff, and whilst they agreed that he still had away to go in order to be fully fit. They agreed that he should be fit enough for an hour and a half investiture ceremony. And if he maintained his exercises there was no reason that he couldn't return home after it.

Later that week Bev came into his room carrying a familiar suitcase, it was his old leather case from his room at RAF Renton.

"This was delivered for you, shall I unpack it?" enquired Bev.

"If you don't mind Bev," replied Robert.

Beverly unzipped the case inside were two uniforms complete with shirts, ties and shorts. Two hats and his greatcoat, at the bottom were two pairs of shoes polished to an unbelievable shine and a small package with a label stating Personal Effects.

She handed the package to Robert who tore open the cover to reveal a leather wallet, an old Rolex stainless steel day date watch and a gold signet ring.

Robert could see Bev was staring at them with a thoughtful expression on her face.

"The watch and ring were my fathers," he said as a way of explanation, "The ring has been in the family for over a hundred years. I never flew combat missions with them on. Wouldn't want them to fall into the wrong hands." He said with a forced laugh.

The plans were made; Robert would travel down to London the day before the investiture.

He had been booked into a five star hotel. Some one from the Palace would contact him with the details of what he needed to do. Afterwards, he would be free to travel home to Aventon.

Bev got him a copy of train schedules from London Victoria to Christchurch in Dorset; he decided on the seven fifteen fast train which would get into Christchurch at around nine thirty pm.

Next he put in a call to Mrs Mac, to tell her the news and to ask her to get some food in for him. Mrs Mac, who had always been like a second mother to him, was laughing and crying all at the same time.

The evening before his departure Sir Royston came to see him, he was carrying what appeared to be an old walking stick.

"Robert" he began, "I'm not going to be here when you leave tomorrow, I have to fly to Zurich later tonight. Some idiot banker has thrown his back out on the golf course. So I've come to say my good bye now.

I've arranged for Jack my driver to run you to London in the Bentley. He will pick you up at three.

Now I know you are still experiencing pain."

He raised his hand before Robert could say anything, "Don't deny it, it's to be expected, what you are experiencing are muscle spasms, cramps for want of a better term. But they will recede in time."

He reached into his coat pocket and removed a plastic pill bottle.

"Take one of these if you do have an attack, it will help to deaden the pain. Can't have you falling on your face in front of her Majesty. Oh, and I brought you this it was my fathers, he was eighteen stone so it should hold you up." With that, he handed the walking stick over.

Robert felt his throat constricting he owed so much to this man.

"Now if you ever have any problems, any problems at all, promise me you will contact me day or night." With that Sir Royston, offered out his hand.

Robert ignored the hand and embraced him.

Breaking away he said, "I will be eternally in your debt for what you and your team have done for me Sir."

"Nonsense" replied Sir Royston his voice cracking slightly, "Must go, work to do," and then he was gone.

A short while later he heard the helicopter taking off.

Robert barely slept that night his brain buzzing with details, towards dawn he drifted off. But then Bev was there with his breakfast tray at eight.

He hardly touched the food just drinking the coffee.

Afterwards, he took a long shower, after shaving and cleaning his teeth he began to dress.

It seemed odd to be putting on his uniform again.

He would be wearing his day uniform; his best reserved for the Palace.

He was surprised that the jacket felt a little tight across his shoulders, but then remembered that his shoulders had been carrying his body weight during the long months when he had been using the crutches and support sticks.

Bev came in "I've come to help you pack," she announced.

"Well there's not much to pack," replied Robert, "The PJ's, track suit, even the washing and shaving gear all belongs to the clinic." Robert replied.

"It's all yours," Bev chuckled, "The next patient gets a new set, why do you think the rates are so high?" Said Bev smiling.

At two thirty Bev returned to carry the suitcase out for him

He had a long look round the room that had been home to him for almost five months, and then followed her out.

As he stepped out of the lift he was amazed to see, what, seemed the entire team of the Grange, waiting in the reception hall.

A cheer went up, followed by clapping; he flushed with embarrassment, and then began shaking hands and saying good byes.

At last only Ann, Gale, Bev and Ted were left, they were standing on the steps leading down to the drive, were Sir Royston's black Bentley was parked waiting with Jack, Sir Royston's chauffeur.

Addressing the girls he said, "If ever I have a harem I want you three in it."

"What about me?" Protested Ted.

"You can be the eunuch," laughed Robert.

After giving each girl a hug and kiss, he embraced Ted "thanks Ted," he whispered in his ear.

With that, he descended the steps supported by the stick he had been given.

Jack, who then placed his case in the boot, helped him into the car.

As the car moved away he twisted round to see them all on the steps waving, he waved back until the car rounded the bend, and they were lost to view.

To be continued.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers
12