The Crystal Rainbow Ch. 11-15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Nyasia
Nyasia
20 Followers

"Next stop, Paris! Ten minutes!" He announced succinctly and without another word or waiting for a response, he withdrew and slid the door closed with a soft thud.

"Damn it! I guess the fates wish to draw this out for as long as possible. Hmmm …. Christine, do you intend to accept my invitation and stay in my home?"

Helen bit back a smirk as she saw the young woman's grip on Erik's hand tighten and her eyes locked onto his. He cocked his head and gave her a hopeful nod, which caused a relieved smile to settle across her lips.

"If you are still willing to have me and it will not cause you any inconvenience, I would very much like to stay with Erik and you."

Helen surrendered to her overwhelming urge and smirked at the young woman.

"Christine, please, rest assured that your presence in my home is not inconvenient. Erik and I are pleased to have you as a guest for as long as you wish. Is that not true, Erik?"

Erik's face turned a deep crimson and he nodded his assent, while at the same time he maintained a grip on her hand that looked almost painful. Christine, however, did not seem to mind his touch, but rather, leaned into him and smiled demurely.

"Oh! This should prove most interesting. These two will make me wish that chastity belts were still readily available. Perhaps, they still have such things in Persia. I should ask Nadir to get one for Christine and he can bring it with him along with Edgar. No, that will take too long and by the time he arrives, we will be christening their babe. Well, it seems that I must pay the apothecary a visit and purchase some Monk's Pepper. Hopefully, that will cool the boy down long enough for me to impress upon the two of them the dangers of passing certain boundaries. Ah, hell! The two of them are almost past the point of no return right now! How can I demand that they wait? Neither of them has ever known real love … well, ever. I wish it did not matter, but …."

For the first time in their long relationship, Helen heard Diamanté's voice sound quietly and gently within her head.

"The girl cannot hear us, so do not protest. Do not worry for the children, old one. We will watch over both of them. Nothing untoward shall happen to either the girl or her mate. Do not meddle with the boy. Together we shall make a trip to the apothecary unnecessary. They may be young, but they are not stupid. You just need to tell them why they must wait. I am certain the boy cares enough for the girl that he will reign in his desires for a time. Perhaps, I have been wrong about you. It seems that you are not entirely worthless. Perhaps, it is I, who forgot that where there is life, there is hope. At our parting of the ways, I may owe you an apology. I just may …. Hmmm …. Interesting …. It is not often that I am surprised, but I find it a welcome change, Helen."

Helen's mind reeled as a wave of pleasant shock rolled through her tired, old body.

"She called me by my name. She has never done that before. Christine, my child, it seems that you transform all those around you for the better. You bring love to Erik, peace to Diamanté and to me you give me hope again."

Helen smiled broadly and snatched her brilliantly colored carpet bag from the overhead luggage storage. She turned to her two dazed and besotted companions.

"So, it is settled. Come! Let us begin the final leg of our journey home."

◊ ○ ◊ ○ ◊

The companions made the trek from the train station to Helen's cottage in a comfortable silence. Erik and Christine murmured quietly to one another. Occasionally, Helen caught the two of them stealing a kiss or one-armed embrace, but for the most part, the only sounds came from the gentle swaying of the trees in the breeze, the birds scolding the humans for being too near their nests or the small woodland creatures scampering to hide from the thundering feet of the giants invading their domain.

The day had been bright and warm for an early spring day, but as the sun began to set, the breeze became chilly and the three found it necessary to don their cloaks. Soon, the hoods on their cloaks became an indispensible part of their attire. The formal layout of the woods soon thickened into a true forest and the path narrowed. Christine paused for a moment and lifted her head, a look of intense concentration on her lovely face.

"I hear music. Do I not? How can I hear music here … in the middle of nowhere?"

She bit her lip and her eyes narrowed as if she worried over the state of her sanity.

Erik chuckled softly and pulled her against him. He nuzzled his lips against the side of her neck and whispered.

"Indeed, my dear. You hear the music of the night."

As he caught her look of confused skepticism, he smirked.

"Very well … I will not tease you. There is a brook, which runs nearby. Tomorrow I shall show you how it creates the music. Helen and I find that it keeps the more superstitious of our neighbors away from our home. And, we enjoy hearing its ever-changing melody. I believe that our adaptation of Water Music is much nicer than George Frideric Handel's version. What do you think, my love?"

She returned his teasing tone with her own witty response.

"Actually, Erik, I believe that the music you and I make in the night would be the sweetest rendition of all."

Shock and desire raced through Erik's tall form and he choked on his indrawn breath. Christine blushed furiously as she patted him on his back and Helen roared with laughter.

"I do believe the two of you shall prove more entertaining to live with than any romantic comedy I could ever hope to see on the stage in Paris. I only hope we all survive the experience. Really, Christine, if you want the boy, you should try not to kill him before you are ready to wed and bed him." Helen teased unmercifully. "Well, Erik, if you can catch your breath and walk without choking again, we should be home in less than five minutes as the cottage is just around the next bend."

Christine twirled about merrily and backed away from Erik. She leaned forward and taunted.

"Are you up to a challenge, Monsieur? Last one to the cottage must gather wood for the fire!"

And, with a peal of laughter, she turned and her lithe form nimbly sprinted down the path. Her slender shape briefly brought the image of a fleet gazelle to Helen's mind, but she lost sight of the young woman as Erik leapt after her. Helen could not help but join in Christine's laughter at the spectacle the two young people made and she slowly began to walk towards her home, chuckling quietly to herself all the way.

◊ ○ ◊ ○ ◊

"Really, Christine! Just because I knew there is a shortcut through the wood and took it, does not mean that I cheated. You never said that I had to stick to the path! I won, so you must gather wood for the fire. Is that not so, Helen? Fair is fair, right?"

The old woman chuckled as she shook her head.

"And, to think that I despaired for never having children of my own, only to find myself with two tempestuous ones this late in life. The fates have a strange sense of humor, but I have never felt as content as I do now. I only hope that I am a worthy teacher for the girl and can guide her into the legacy safely. No! Stupid Helen! Do not hope! You have no choice. You must be worthy of the girl or what is the point to your thus far worthless life? For once in your life, Helen, do more than is required and do what is right for someone other than yourself. Do what is right for Christine, and, Erik, too. That is the only course open to you. That is why you still draw breath on this accursed earth. And, tonight, you take the first step by making your confession to her … to them both."

"Helen?"

Startled by the gentle hand that rested upon her shoulder, Helen looked into the golden-hued eyes, which stared at her with concern.

"What is it? Are you feeling ill?"

She shook her head and met his eyes.

"I am well. I became lost in my thoughts. Now, I do not care which of you fetches firewood, but whichever of you stays here with me, I need you to help me in the kitchen. So, children, I leave you to your bickering. I shall be waiting for one of you in the kitchen."

She turned and walked into the kitchen, pausing only for a moment to conjure a small flicker of flame, which danced about the room as it ignited the wicks of the room's several oil lamps. Her fingers quickly moved to the laces of her cloak and tugged, releasing the bow. With a small shrug of her shoulders, the cloak lifted from her and danced across the room to land on the hook next to the back door.

"Very nicely done, Helen, but what if Christine walked in here and saw what you just did and not me? I understand that you told her you are capable of magic, but actually seeing it happen is quite another thing. Do you not think?" He chuckled. "Well, luckily for you it is only me. Shall we see what we have here that would make a suitable meal?"

Her eyes narrowed at the sound of his chuckling voice, but softened at the realization of the truth his words held. She placed her hands to the crook of her back, stretched and gave a long, tired sigh.

"As always, my boy, you are correct. I need to use care so I will not frighten the girl away. I am not used to the necessity of restraining myself here, but I thank you for the reminder …. Is she outside?"

Now, it was the young man's turn to sigh deeply.

"Yes, she said that she would rather collect firewood than work in the kitchen. She said that her culinary skills are sadly lacking."

Helen patted Erik's forearm.

"Do not worry, Erik, she will return soon. Now, let us busy ourselves and prepare a proper meal that will show Christine how welcome she is in our home!"

◊ ○ ◊ ○ ◊

The young woman stepped lightly through the forest floor, deftly avoiding the clutching brambles of the bushes. She held a light wicker basket over her arm, which she rapidly filled with the plentiful deadfall. All the while, she kept an eye on the warm glow of light, which she knew was Helen's cottage.

"The last thing I need is to get lost in the forest. It is much too cold to wander around lost, not to mention that Erik would tease me unmercifully about it and I do not wish to cause Helen any undue worry. That Diamanté! What a bitch! Oh! Look! That is a likely piece and that one too. I only need one or two more and the basket is full. Oh, Lord! The breeze chills me to the bone!"

She leaned to pick up a chunk of rotted tree trunk and froze.

"Christine! Christine! Chris … tine …."

The deep masculine voice called gently to her, the sound floating to her ears on the breeze much like a lover's gentle caress.

"Erik?"

Her voice was little more than a frightened whisper, as she knew it was not the voice of her masked love.

A rich bass chuckle rolled through the air, sending a chill up Christine's spine and the hairs on her arms to stand at attention.

"Who … who is there?"

She winced as her voice gave evidence of her fear.

"Christine …. Christine …. Chris … tine …."

And, then she felt hands clutch at her waist and begin to tickle her. Relief swept through her.

"Erik! You gave me such a …."

As she turned to scold Erik, the grin on her face froze and her eyes widened in terror.

"No!"

Her piercing scream penetrated every nook, crevice and hollow of the forest. Then, her eyes rolled up, leaving only the whites visible and she slumped to the ground as the extremely tall, extremely male form continued to tickle her twitching body. A ruddy face glanced up toward the moon and the pale light glistened off a set of large teeth. The moss green eyes closed and he sang in a voice like a sibilant sigh.

"Christine …. Christine …. Chris … tine …."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Fifteen – Leshii

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leshii Basajaun, Master of Wood, Forest Lord, is a woodland spirit.
Magician and Shapeshifter, all must beware, his fingers hold the tickle of death.

"A Fool's Book of Wisdom"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the fuck was that?" Cried Helen.

The words burst from her mouth before the echoes of the scream ended.

"It was Christine! Oh, shit!"

Erik swung around, clamped his hands onto the old woman's shoulder in a vise-like grip and hissed.

"Fuck! I knew that I should not have allowed her to go out into the evening and gather firewood alone. What was I thinking? I am an imbecile!"

He shook his head and returned his attention to Helen.

"Catch up with me when you can! She needs me!"

Erik ran back into the kitchen. His hand stretched out towards the doorknob when he suddenly flew backwards across the room and landed sprawled on his backside. He swung viciously around to face Helen.

"Why the hell did you do that? You heard her scream! She is in trouble! She needs help! Let me go!"

The tall, lean young man leapt to his feet and froze as he heard the sounds of doors locking and windows bolting. He whirled to face the old woman.

"How dare you stop me? Do you not care for her? She is the daughter of your twin! The precious heir for which you have sought for so many years. Madame, you had best tell me why you seem to abandon her or you had better move out of my way. Your enchantments will not hold me here for long. Think carefully. Do you wish to have me as an enemy?"

Helen sighed and shook her head wearily.

"Erik, think with the head on your shoulders and not with the little one between your thighs! You need to be calm. I can find her. You know I can. Let me do what I do best then we can know who or what it is that threatens Christine and I can lead you to her."

He grumbled for a moment and ran a hand through his thick, dark hair.

"Come, Madame, what is in the forest that would be a danger to Christine? Nothing has ever bothered me, or you for that matter, so what would want Christine? So, tell me what lies in wait for a beautiful young woman in this forest." He shook his head and changed his tact. "Very well, use your power and find her! You are right. I know you can." His voice dropped an octave and took on a pleading tone. "Helen, please! If something were to happen to Christine, I do not think I would survive it."

Moving with a swiftness that still startled the old woman, Erik roughly took hold of her shoulders. He shook the seemingly stunned old woman once sharply in an attempt to focus her attention upon him. When she did not answer him and continued to stare blankly at him, he barked at her sharply.

"Damn it! Woman! We do not have time for this! Answer me! Where is she?"

She turned her glazed eyes to him. She blinked slowly. After a moment, her eyes cleared and focused upon Erik. Looking into the young man's eyes, she frowned, nodded her consent, took a deep breath, let it out slowly and allowed her eyes to flutter closed once more. A blast of power began to radiate from the old woman's limp form and a sudden invisible fire engulfed Erik's hands. He quickly released his hold on the old woman, unconsciously shaking his hands as if to extinguish the flames from them. He eyed her impatiently, but cautiously, well aware of the power contained within the woman. After what seemed an eternity to Erik, Helen's eyes snapped open and she groaned. Her hands clutched the sides of her head and she gingerly massaged her temples.

"Shit! Leshii! Damn it! It is Leshii Basajaun! He is a spirit of the woods. He considers himself Lord of the Forest, but I have never encountered him here before now. This is not his customary domain, although, as a keeper and teacher of magic, he does occasionally travel when he feels the call. Christine's power most likely drew him here. I do not believe she is in any danger, but I think it would be best if I speak with him and not you, Erik. Like most of the fae, he revels in half-truths and half-lies. If you do not word your query in precisely the proper manner, well, let me just say that things could go quite poorly for us all. Not to mention, Leshii shall be greatly entertained and highly amused."

"Poorly?" The young man sputtered, fury darkened his normally pale skin. "Poorly? And, things are going so well now? Are they? I think not! Come, Madame! I cannot bear the thoughts racing through my mind, thoughts of what this Leshii intends to do with her."

The distracted woman blinked and looked up at the distraught man.

"Do with her?" She echoed numbly.

"Yes, Helen. What does this 'spirit' intend to do with her? I think that after what happened to you at the gypsies' carnival, you need not ask that question. Christine is a beautiful, young woman and I am not ignorant in the ways of the fae. I am well aware of their lusts and of their predilection for pretty, young human females. I read your books about them …. What am I doing? This pointless conversation must cease. You must lead me to her! Now!"

He threw his arms up in the air then grabbed one of Helen's hands and pulled her with him towards the kitchen door, pausing only long enough to grab both of their cloaks and a lantern.

"Come! We need to find her … not stand around talking about her! Please, Helen! Let us go now!"

◊ ○ ◊ ○ ◊

The first thing the young woman noticed as awareness crept back into her mind was a sound. It was a familiar sound. A comforting sound, but it took her throbbing head several moments to identify it and place a name to the sound.

"Fire. That crackling and popping sound is a fire burning. Wait! A fire? Where the hell am I? Did I faint? Perhaps, Erik found me and brought me back to the cottage. He must have found the firewood as well … that fire feels lovely."

The young woman sighed and moved to stretch her arms. She frowned as she found her arms refused to move from her sides. Ignoring the pounding, which lay behind her closed eyelids, she opened her eyes. Confusion surged through every fiber of her being as her eyes focused upon the rough earth and stone that made up the ceiling and walls of the room in which she found herself. When she attempted to move her head to take in more of her surroundings and discovered she could not move any part of her body, blind panic began to take hold of her at the realization of her worst fear.

"I cannot move! I am completely helpless. No! No! This cannot be! No man has the right to truss me in this manner. I swore upon my papa's grave that no man would make me feel this helpless ever again. And, I will not! No!"

Anger flared through Christine. The absolute purity of her rage burned deep within her, sparking a strange feeling of power deep within the young woman. Her mind instinctively grabbed hold of the power and she screamed.

"Whoever you are that binds me here, release me now or I warn you, I shall not be responsible for my actions. Do you hear me?"

A soft, deep masculine chuckle filled the chamber and it served only to further infuriate the young woman.

"You find me amusing, do you? Very well! Do not say that I did not give you warning."

She closed her eyes and concentrated on the fire of her rage, her thoughts changing it and directing it. Her mind moved the heat from deep within her soul and allowed it to rise to encase her body in a burning sheath of flame.

"I am beholden to no male unless I wish it. I cast off your bindings and bid you to laugh at me no more!"

Slowly, she arose from a bed of fresh lichen, her entire body consumed in a brilliant white blaze. With narrowed eyes, she searched the otherwise barren cave for a sign of her erstwhile captor. As she intently studied her surroundings, she found that other than the small fire in the corner, the only other thing in the cave to draw her attention was a pale, tan mushroom, which seemed tenuously to cling to life as it grew from a crack between two boulders in the cave wall. It seemed so incongruous with the rest of the lifeless warren that Christine felt the hairs at the nape of her neck prickle and stand on end. And, then she sensed it. The power hidden within the guise of the fungus. She allowed her rage to cool and pushed the fires back into the depths of her soul.

Nyasia
Nyasia
20 Followers