The Dog Talker Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,897 Followers

A few minutes before six, the phone rang. It was Dr. Mason.

"Eric! What have you done? My personal physician doesn't have this state of the art technology in blood analysis. I'm not sure how we'll be able to afford the reagents, but...thank you!"

"I meant to call you---had no idea they'd delivery the equipment today. You'll have all the reagents you need---as long as you need them."

"Are there more surprises coming?"

"Virginia, of that I'm sure. Don't know what or when but that was just one phone call. I've got a lot more numbers in my Rolodex---as does my boss. Drugs: don't know what's coming but hopefully it will be what you need."

"Well, I'll let you know what arrives. Time to go home!"

Promptly at nine o'clock the following morning a courier arrived with close to a hundred thousand dollars worth of drugs, all top of the line and far from out of date. Many were extremely expensive medications which were out of the financial range of many dog owners let alone a not for profit shelter. The portable refrigeration unit was installed early that same afternoon. The surgical instrument division of the company delivered a complete inventory of top of the line German surgical instruments a little after three that afternoon. The enteral and parenteral feeding division delivered a supply of liquid feeding formulas suitable for canines.

Forty eight hours later following a call by the CEO, a well dressed young man approached Jan's desk.

"Hi! My name is Jeff Walker and I'm the president of a company you've never heard of which fabricates portable x-ray vans. One will be arriving here in less than an hour. Shortly after that the power company will be here to run a special line at no charge. All I need to know is where you want to park it."

"I think I'd better get Dr. Mason. Make yourself comfortable."

"Mind if I check out your adoption area?"

"Be my guest."

Two days after that event, a pretty young third year vet student a few weeks from graduation showed up to schedule an interview for the recently listed veterinary residency program which no one knew anything about including Virginia Mason. She had a letter in her hand which indicated that should her qualifications be acceptable to Dr. Mason and the shelter board, the expenses associated with her tenure at the shelter were being funded by a corporate charitable foundation. Her academic credentials were impeccable. Even more important, she wanted to be a shelter vet. As an added plus, she had worked her way through vet school working as an x-ray technician.

Two days after that, a truck driver came into the shelter and asked to speak to the director. The director came out to meet the driver and introduced himself.

"How can I help you?"

"I have a thirty-six foot trailer outside which belongs to you---or at least it's contents do. I think this is a copy of your wish list---got it off the net. The usual stuff: kitty litter, paper towels, disinfectants, bedding, towels, blankets, pet food...and so on."

"Pretty standard stuff in our business."

"So I gather. I volunteer at my local shelter back in Missouri when I'm home. Anyway, I doubt that you have room to store this stuff so I just need to know where to drop the trailer. When it's empty, call the number on this card and someone will come by and pick it up---and bring another one."

"How much stuff have you got?"

"The trailer is full, top to bottom and front to back."

"Oh, my."

Money can work miracles and all adoptive shelters need financial support but even more important, they need volunteers. People to answer the phone, send thank you notes, organize and direct fund raising activities, work with dogs, follow up on adoptions, foster adult dogs and care for puppies, mow the grass or just scoop poop. As stunned and thrilled as the shelter staff was by the size and financial means of Eric's Rolodex, they were not remotely prepared for the volunteer army which soon became a regular part of the shelter's day to day activities.

Every shelter has a huge book filled with volunteer applications but on any given day only a handful of people actually show up. Too often they have to depend on community service personnel---people who got a DUI and are working it off doing community service work---to exercise the dogs. Many of these types are worse than no one at all and have to be closely supervised. Few are willing to do dirty work and if they are they don't do it very well. Then again, at my shelter there is a woman who is a senior vice president of one of the fifty largest companies in the world who drops by regularly just to scoop dog poop in the exercise yard and talk to the pups.

If you've never run a charitable, not for profit, volunteer organization it can be a daunting task. You can't fire volunteers. Some don't feel a sense of need to be punctual or even remotely reliable or consistent---after all, they're not getting paid. Spend a few hours a week volunteering at a dog shelter and you will find it impossible to show up empty handed, even if it's just a few rolls of paper towels or a box of 55 gallon can liners. Look around; if there is something broken, old, or just on it's last legs---offer to replace it or even better---just do it. The new wave of volunteers came with big hearts and open pocketbooks and wallets. One in particular serves elaboration.

A retired gentleman in his sixties came to the shelter for a volunteer orientation and then for a dog training session. He never said much but was always pleasant and cheerful. The dogs loved him. If a door was falling off it's hinges, he fixed it. If paint was peeling, he scraped it and repainted it. He became a regular fixture around the shelter, coming by almost every day for a couple of hours. He drove a nondescript old truck. It was assumed that he was retired from some sort of construction work and did handyman work in his retirement years. One day the chairman of the board of the shelter was meeting with the paid director as the old gentleman was getting ready to leave. The director thought it appropriate to introduce the chairman of the board to the man.

"Harry, have you met our board chairman?"

"Can't say I've had the pleasure, Rick."

"Denise, Harry is one of our most dedicated volunteers; he's here almost every day...works with the dogs...fixes whatever needs fixing..."

"I'm honored to meet you, Harry. I'm Denise Mathis. Thank you for your dedication to our shelter."

"Don't mention it. I enjoy it and it's not as if I have anything else that pressing on my calendar. I'm glad I got to meet you. Just for the record, how much of the land around the structure does the society own?"

"This shelter was made possible by a bequeath almost thirty years ago. We have just over thirty acres deeded to the shelter in perpetuity. Why do you ask?"

"Is there any reason you've never enlarged or replaced the original structure---other than money? The clinic is awfully small and heaven knows there isn't enough storage space. I know adding more space could end up meaning more staff but in spite of the Herculean work being done by this shelter and the rescue organizations in the area---a lot of dogs still end up being turned away...or worse. The dog warden---I think that's what they're called in this part of the country---tells me he could be sending you several hundred more dogs each year---if you could handle them. The foster care group is already overwhelmed. Plus the adoption area is old, dark and hard to clean and the HVAC system is on its last legs. I guess I'm asking if there are any legal or zoning issues which would preclude building a new, modern, larger facility?"

"None whatsoever. We are out in the county well away from residential areas and have an excellent relationship with county officials. A couple of years ago we actually had an architect draw up plans and drawings of our 'dream' facility. We established a fund to build it. A the end of the year if there is anything left over from donations, it goes into the building fund."

"May I see them? The plans and drawings?"

"Certainly! Rick?"

Harry studied the plans and drawings in silence for several minutes.

"Unfortunately, building cost go up every year and I'm sorry to say we probably don't have ten percent of the money we'd need to begin construction." Denise observed.

"What was the original estimate?"

"Well it's several years old but close to two million---probably more today."

"What do you have in the fund?"

"Last time I checked less than three hundred grand. "

"How would you award a building contract---bid it out?"

"Probably but we do have several builders in the county who are sponsors of the shelter who would work together to keep the costs to a minimum. We'd probably have an estimating firm give us a firm figure just to ensure that we're being treated fairly and then spread the work among our builder/sponsors so that no one builder would have to absorb the whole thing and each one could work it into their normal building schedules."

"The way this county is growing these plans are too small. It needs to be half again the size which with today's building costs probably says three million, give or take. Piece meal construction can cause all sorts of problems---and delay construction which is not good news in this part of the country with a building season limited by the climate."

"That's certainly true." Rick injected.

"When is your next board meeting?"

"Actually, it's tonight but our meetings are not open to the public---although we always make exceptions for diligent volunteers."

"Good---not that I want to disturb your board meeting. Look, the plans are obsolete and from the research I've done on current kennel technologies it's lacking on that front. Folks, I don't want my name on the door nor am I interested in being a member of another board of directors..."

"Another board of directors?"

"I retired as chairman two years ago. Stayed on as a board member and an honorary something or other. I sit on several other corporate boards. Almost went nuts until I discovered this place---damn sure drove my wife crazy."

"Chairman of...?" Rick inquired.

Harry answered with a single name; it was the name of one of the largest commercial building corporations east of the Mississippi. Denise and Rick were speechless.

"Look, Denise---Rick. I'll build the thing to current specs, everything energy star rated and state of the art. I'm even thinking geothermal, wind and solar in view of our weather. Use the fund you have to furnish it and add some amenities for the staff and volunteers. I'll squeeze my board for some corporate foundation money and twist the arms of the other board members---either out of their pockets or their own corporations. I'll make up any shortfall out of my pocket. My corporation---the one I founded almost fifty years ago---will build it. It's actually a relatively small project in terms of what they normally build.

"All I need is the green light and something official, that is, a simple letter of intent, from your board which says do it---and I'll have people out here to survey the site within forty-eight hours, submit plans for permitting to the county and we can begin excavation by the first of the week---assuming the county doesn't drag its feet. This is the kind of project that is good for the corporate image---not to mention employee morale. We'll have folks volunteering to work on it nights and weekends on their own time."

"Are you serious?"

"Look, everybody and their brother hits me up for money---all you ever asked for was a little help and some paper towels and kitty litter. If I had to write a check for the whole thing---which I won't have to do---it's a drop in the bucket compared to my existing philanthropic activities, some of which I need to cut back because I don't approve of what they're doing with my money. I'd rather be giving my money to something I'm 'hands-on' involved in---this shelter. You need to trust that I will ensure that this shelter exceeds your---and your board's---expectations. Rick can tell you I do good work. We're already a month into building season. Time's a wasting---here's my card. My home and cell number are on the back if any of your board members have any questions."

"The county will not be a problem; the chairman of the county commission is a board member."

"Outstanding! Call me tonight after the meeting with the board's answer. Who else is on the board?"

Denise showed Harry the list of board members.

"Eight board members including you and Rick but he can't vote. Assuming you are on board, how many others do you...let's not be coy. How many others can you depend on?"

"Enough to get four votes for certain...I think."

"I know one of these folks slightly. I helped bankroll his first business and he's always been cordial. And I do a significant amount of business with that woman's bank---all of which can be moved within hours."

"She was one I was worried about."

"I'm not above a little legitimate blackmail, Denise. Even if it passes four-three and she votes against it there will be a price to pay---on principle. And the people I deal with at that bank will know why I'm leaving them and I still have enough clout on my own board to get the corporation to move business. Who is this person?"

"She's the vice president and fund raising honcho for the local branch of a national charity."

"They do good work. I've never met her but they cash my checks. This one?"

"A senior VP with a major corporation." Denise named the company.

"Can't help you there. I don't own enough of their stock to make a difference---but just enough to raise hell at their stockholders meetings. What about this next to last name?"

"A senior administrator at the university."

"My corporation contracts with the university for training and research and has endowed their engineering department in the past---and there is another major endowment on the table."

"This last name?"

"A corporate sponsor who virtually demanded a board seat in return for a generous endowment. Bluntly, they sent an obnoxious lawyer type as their representative who has become a major irritant."

"Which corporation?"

Denise told him. Harry started to chuckle.

"Where do I begin? I'm on their board? I own thirteen percent of their stock? I went to college with their CEO and founder? He and his lovely wife are coming over for dinner and drinks tonight? Say the word and he will be replaced on your board---or he will begin to behave very contritely. Wait a minute. I see doubt in your eyes. Let me make a quick call."

Harry hit a single button on his cell phone.

"Jack! Get your ass out of the office and go home. I despise dinner guests who are late and in view of your advanced years you probably need a nap or you'll fall asleep at the table. Yeah, sure, same to you, you old fart. Hey listen a quick business note. You folks have been very generous with the animal shelter I volunteer at. Whoever is in charge of your foundation demanded a board seat in return for the sponsorship and sent some ass hole lawyer to represent your company---and he's not doing much for your reputation. If you can't straighten him out, for Christ's sake replace him. I'm planning to twist some arms---yours included---and build them a new shelter and the last thing they need is for some jerk to screw things up. Yeah, I know, lawyers---you can't fix 'em and it's against the law to shoot 'em. Okay. See you later." Harry ended the call and turned to Denise and Rick.

"He's going to conduct a brief character guidance session on his way out the door with the offending attorney---who he is not particularly fond of. Be sure and let me know if the prick ever causes a problem again---assuming the company doesn't send someone else in the future.

"Look, I have confidence in the two of you to make this happen. If you get blindsided I am not above taking suitable action---and even going public. I like this shelter and I like the people here but I am determined to build someone a new one and Lord knows there is need everywhere. Call me. I need to get home and get dinner started. My wife hates to cook but I love to. Oh, one last thought:

"Don't ever judge a man by the vehicle he drives. I bought that truck for my son when he was in college---twenty years ago. When he got married and switch to a mini-van I 'bought' it back from him. They don't make 'em like that anymore---V8, gas guzzling---even has a carburetor. And no one in their right mind gets dressed up to stomp around dog shit. Last but not least---let's keep this among us. I enjoy being friends with the staff---wouldn't want that to change. Take care folks."

Rick and Denise sat looking at each other in shock. Rick spoke first.

"Do you have any doubt...?"

"Not in a million years. You can take the chairman out of the board room but at his core he'll always be the chairman. You can't fake that unless you've been there. When a guy like Harry decides to get something done---it gets done or else."

"Some days he gets here early and scoops all of the dog poop in the outdoor runs. The women who clean the runs and kennels adore him. They think he's just some kindly old pensioner. He always polite and he is amazing with the dogs. Who would have thought?"

"Mark this on your calendar as a very special day for this shelter."

The building project kicked off ahead of schedule and in no time the building site looked like that TV show where they build a house for some family in desperate need in under a week. The board voted unanimously to accept Harry's generosity. The offending lawyer was replaced by the retiring chairman of the board.

Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,897 Followers