The Family Room Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mused
Mused
1,275 Followers

She handed him the sack full of her cold-weather clothes and he sighed. "Last one," she promised.

"Once we get our own place you might not have use for clothes anymore." He bent down and kissed her tear-stained cheek, then carried the bag away, leaving her to wonder once more.

There was a knock on her open door. Had Rick forgotten something? Julie looked up from the floor and saw her mother.

Beth Martin tried to look stoic but her daughter knew better. "Don't forget your coat, it's downstairs in the closet. Don't let your brother leave without his. And make sure he wears it when the weather turns. You know how that boy likes to freeze himself in the winter. Just like his..."

Just like Dad. Julie nodded. She took her purse from the bed and made sure her bank books were all accounted for. Her savings were pretty much depleted but at least she could offer something to Rick.

"Is there anything else you need?"

Julie needed her mother. She needed her father too but was able to concede that he might be a lost cause. She wished she had the ability to admit those things. "There are some things in the bathroom."

Her mother followed her down the hallway to the bathroom. She hovered around Julie like a shadow, constantly watching.

Was she afraid I would steal anything? Julie wondered.

Makeup, perfume, her toothbrush, tampons, she gathered everything she would need. The more she could stuff in her overflowing leather purse, the more of Rick's meager paycheck they could save.

"Is Daddy... Is Daddy alright?" Julie asked her mother. That was the real reason she had came, she had to know. The last time she had seen her father he was laying in a twisted heap on the kitchen floor. His pain had made her happy at the time, now it made her miserable.

Her mother hesitated before answering. "... he's fine, sweetheart." She covered her mouth, like she was reprimanding herself for calling Julie sweetheart.

Julie exhaled. "Thank God, I was so worried. Can I talk to him?"

"He's at work. I... He wanted me to stay home today in case you came back."

"Oh." Julie opened a drawer and hunted for a tube of facial cleanser.

***

Four bags of clothes, no wonder it seemed like she never wore the same outfit twice. If I had that many clothes I would only need to do laundry once a year. Her immense wardrobe fit in the trunk, barely. I had to wedge my own clothes in the back seat of the little import, not an easy task but fortunately I had less than four bags.

A garden hose hissed in the next yard. Lenny Feldman, the nice old man who lived next door, was watering his azalea bushes. He offered a wave and a genial hello as he sprayed the thirsty leaves.

He had no idea what was going on at the Martins' house. He probably assumed the twenty-four year old neighbor kid was finally moving out. He probably thought it was about damn time.

What would my parents tell Mr. Feldman and the other neighbors? They're bound to be asked why Julie and I had abruptly disappeared.

They could lie or tell the awful truth, it was no longer my concern. I wouldn't see Mr. Feldman water his azaleas anymore or smell the smoke from the Bell family barbeques or step in the messes left by the Crenshaws' yappy little dog.

Mr. Feldman shut off his hose and waved again, then it was back inside to find Mrs. Feldman. I took one last look around the cul-de-sac and decided it was time to go find my Mrs. Feldman.

The air-conditioned kitchen felt fantastic, Dad had the thermostat set perfectly low. Out of habit I opened the refrigerator door and reached for a can of soda. My fingernail was just under the pull-tab when I realized I probably wasn't welcomed to it. I put it back and closed the door.

I heard Mom and Julie talking upstairs. I didn't want to interrupt so I sat on the foot of the stairs.

There was a cough on the sofa. I saw the top of a graying head peeking over the back of the upholstery. My heart hammered as I approached my father.

He was sitting up, but just barely. His left leg was in an air cast; his right hand was covered by a large pink band-aid. He looked so feeble and old. How could this be the same man who instilled such fear in me last night?

"Rick?" my father asked. His voice was groggy, the result of pain medications.

My guilt was back, as strong as it had been last night. It flooded my conscience, I was drowning in it.

"Hi... Hi Dad." I didn't know what else to say. I moved closer, settling down on the loveseat.

"How is." He moved a little, shifting his weight then grimacing. "How is your hand."

I showed him the wicked looking scratch on my palm. He grimaced again. "No stitches at least," I said.

"Wish I could say the same." He held up his own injured hand. "Three stitches." He pointed to the air cast. "Broken ankle. Your sister packs quite a punch for such a tiny thing."

"Dad I'm sorry." I wasn't exactly sure what I was apologizing for. Was it our fight, his injuries, Julie?

"I know you are, Son. I know."

"She's here Dad, I brought her. Do you want to see her?"

"No," he said, leaning back on the sofa. "God no." He didn't want his little girl to see him like that. He didn't want her to see what she'd done to him. "Rick." He wiped a string of saliva from his mouth. "I would be furious with you if I weren't so doped up on codeine. Don't..." He wiped his mouth again. "Don't come back for a while. Just don't." His pupils were large black discs.

He groaned and stretched on the couch throwing his head back. I couldn't tell if he was awake or asleep, either way our reunion was over.

***

She needed two hands to keep her purse from spitting out it's contents. Her mother was watching her in the mirror, eyes fixed like a bird of prey. A long, skinny wrapper rolled out of Julie's purse, a tampon.

Her mother retrieved the tampon from the floor and held it up. "Have you been using these? I mean you haven't missed a period, have you?"

Julie went white. "I missed one." Beth Martin went whiter. "It was just a little late."

"Oh my God! How late?"

"A month, but I had it last week." She hated recycling the same lie she had used on Rick, but her mother had enough to worry about. Julie wasn't ready to add the threat of grandkids to that list.

"We're careful Mom," she lied.

"Julie Alyssa Martin." The dreaded middle name. "Don't fib to me. I saw how careful you were last night. Rick was no more protected than you were."

"I love Rick and no matter what we decide it's---"

"Are you ready, Julie?" She spotted Rick in the mirror; he watched her with his compassionate blue eyes. He gathered her purse, holding it shut with his long fingers. "Your clothes are all loaded, I just hope there's still room for us." He kissed the top of her head when she almost smiled. "Your carriage is waiting, baby."

"Wait!" Beth Martin almost shouted. She hugged both of her children at the same time, wrapping around their necks. "Don't forget your coats."

She fixed a kiss to each of their cheeks before they left. Her parting words urged her children to drive carefully.

"We are careful," Julie repeated under her breath. Her period had been late before, it was nothing to worry about.

To be continued...

Mused
Mused
1,275 Followers
12