The Fourth Man Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,552 Followers

Over the course of the next week, Ken thought about nothing other than everything that had transpired between him and his wife and the events that led them to where they were.

One of the concerns that had bothered him the most, was the brazen way in which she deceived him with her question about him trusting her. It was out of character for her, and for a while, he wondered if he even knew his wife at all.

The motives she gave at the counseling session sounded more like her kind of logic. As far as he knew she had never lied to him. He could imagine her thinking, 'what if I mess up down the road and he discovered I lied to him?' Whereas by simply asking me to trust her...yeah, she would have definitely felt that was the safer way to go.

Then of course there was the act of betrayal itself. It made no difference to him whether she was with a man or woman, it was still betrayal. Laura had tried to assume full responsibility but Jen could not be exonerated. Okay, there were mitigating circumstances, he thought, her long time fantasy, Laura's salesmanship...it still didn't make a difference. He had only to make a choice...forgive, or don't forgive. He stayed up half the night mentally going through everything that had happened. He looked into his heart and sometime around three in the morning he'd made his decision.

***

It looked as if spring was finally nudging old man winter off his perch in Chicago. For the first time since December the temperature reached the mid-forties. Pools of melted snow made walking a straight line anywhere impossible.

Ken was already seated in the counselor's office when his wife entered. She looked nervous and scared again as she sat down.

"How are you, Mrs. Ryan?" asked Dr. Holdstrome.

"Okay, I guess. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and he confirmed my pregnancy. I...I guess I'm just still scared."

"That's understandable, Mrs. Ryan."

"Honey," Ken let the term of endearment slip out. It was the first time since coming back from Hilton Head. "Please try not to worry. This baby is going to be strong and healthy. He's going to be a straight "A" student and a football star. He's going to bring the prettiest girl in town to the senior prom and go on to excel in college and in everything he tries. He's going to marry the most wonderful woman in the world, just like his old man did, and give us lots of grandchildren. I know it."

She almost missed, 'the most wonderful woman in the world,' comment. "How do you know it's going to be a bo...did you say the most wonderful woman in the world?"

Ken sat back with a small grin. "What if I did?"

Suddenly her face lit up. You could see the hope in her eyes. "Oh, Ken, please don't play games with me, does that mean you forgive me?"

"Jen, I can't tell you how much it hurt when I heard about what you did. I was filled with anger over your deceit. At the same time the pain of knowing you chose someone else over me was unbearable. I kept thinking, would I have done the same thing if I were in your shoes? The answer was always a resounding, no."

Ken rose from his chair and walked over to pour himself a cup of water. "But I also had to take into account eight years of happiness with you as my partner in life. Did those eight years warrant your forgiveness...yes, they do."

Before he could say another word, Jen jumped from her chair and threw herself into her husband's arms.

"Oh, Ken, I love you so much," she cried squeezing any daylight from their bodies.

"I love you too," he replied. "But this is a one time, 'get out of jail free card,' you understand that, right?"

"Yes, yes, my darling," she said nodding her head quickly. "I promise to be the best wife and mother you could ever want."

EPILOUGE:

After giving birth to a healthy baby boy, Jennifer Ryan kept her promise. Two years later, little Kyle Ryan had a baby sister, Monique. Kyle grew up strong in mind and body and even took the prettiest girl in town to the senior prom...at least he thought she was the prettiest girl in town. Five years later he married her.

Monique grew up to be a fine young woman. Even if she was a little head strong and gave her father fits sometimes, she was always the apple of his eye.

Jennifer and Ken Ryan still live happily as man and wife. Now retired they both love doting on their five grandkids.

Ken still plays golf almost every Sunday with Jack, Smitty, and Arnie. Yes, Arnie recover from his bout with cancer and was back hitting the little white ball with his buddies. They all saw Tara at the course from time to time, in fact she still filled in once in a while.

What happened to Laura and Bill? Well that's a whole story in itself, isn't it.

The end.

laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,552 Followers