The Game of Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Diane's eyes were now fixed on me, unwavering. "Yes," I replied quietly. "There was a time right after we were married, just a long kiss. But never anything more."

Now Diane's eyes blazed, as did Julie's that day in the gazebo. "Understand this. I've always loved you, and more than Julie. If I had thought that she could take you from me, I would have fought her like a demon. There's nothing I wouldn't have done to keep you!"

She went on, "Years before you ever thought about it, Gary Dillon, I planned to marry you and have your children. You were a good-looking guy, smart, and sexy, so I knew other girls would be attracted to you. I knew Julie had a crush on you, but she wasn't the only one. Do you remember Kathy Bagley in high school?"

"Yeah, cute blonde, nice butt?"

"The same. She started hinting that she'd like to date you. So I made sure that she could see how you looked at me, the way you spoke to me. She understood right away. I fought for you, Gary, the way a woman fights. But hon, we were the lucky ones. Each of us crazy about the other. It doesn't work that way for everyone."

I stared at her, more than a little amazed. "And you don't feel sorry for Julie?"

"A little, I suppose. But I wanted you for myself. You see, Gary, women understand that winning a man's love is a deadly serious game. That when a desirable guy like you comes along, there's going to be a Diane who gets him, and a Julie who doesn't. That sometimes, it is a cruel world."

I had known Diane since childhood, but had never seen this side of the woman. Beneath her soft curves and gentle voice was a steely essence that she had never shown.

"Does it bother you that I feel sympathy for Julie?"

"Of course not. But remember, Gary, whatever fire burned for you in Julie, it burned hotter in me. You said that when we were growing up, you couldn't take your eyes off me. Do you think I didn't know that? I made sure of it in a thousand little ways. And when I knew you loved me, I made sure there was a time and place for you to tell me, so I could tell you that I loved you in return!"

"I thought you said love just happens."

"It does, but a woman must know how to make it grow, you see. I'm not lying here pregnant with your third child by chance alone, Gary Dillon."

Diane's eyes still glowed fiercely. But it all made sense. In lovemaking my wife had always been a hot-blooded minx. Why should I be surprised that she was just as passionate in her feelings? "Wow," I said slowly, "seems there's a lot of things in life I never knew."

"That's because you're a man and not a woman, darling." We lay in silence, reflecting on it all. Finally Diane said, "The book's going to be a big hit, isn't it?"

"Oh yes," I replied. "They raved about it in the Atlanta Constitution, said it was one of the best novels in years. I even read that Paramount Pictures might buy the movie rights."

"Who would have thought? My little cousin becoming famous and all. Signing autographed copies of her bestseller, maybe even going to Hollywood."

"Do you envy her?"

"Not really," Diane smiled, the passion once again flashing briefly across her face. She took my hand and placed it on her swollen abdomen. "She has a great novel. But I have you."

12