The Gilded Cage Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now that the world isn't ending, it's love that I'm sending to you.

As Connor climbed down he began to wonder why he had chosen this particular song. Inside his heart it was resonating too much. Only one final line got through before he switched it off.

It isn't the love of a hero and that's why I fear it won't do.

Connor reached ground level despite his eyes having filled with water. He became angry with himself and wiped them with his hands before sprinting for his vehicle.

As soon as the music had ended Bastion called on his radio.

"Any Lexington unit, this is Bastion. Urgent assistance required. Respond please."

Bastion's ears nearly surrendered under the weight of responses that flooded him. He located his car and knew that he simply needed a bodyguard to drive him. A short reply from him was all that was needed to summon one from the hotel.

As Bastion waited for his driver he opened up the back of his limousine. Inside the rear seat was the body of the sniper, his head almost removed by what appeared to be a single clean shot from above. Bastion knew that his driver would also be dead at the front of the vehicle and so it did not shock him when he received visual confirmation. Bastion felt alone, scared and more unsure than at any time in his Guild career. His next radio call was filled with base emotions.

"Aegis!"

Aegis had never heard Bastion like this.

"What's up Bastion?"

"Connor is alive!"

Bastion had expected a shout, a cry, a curse or something. He got nothing but stunned silence for ten seconds. Then Aegis came back on again.

"Excuse me?"

"What part of Connor being alive did you not hear? He's just nearly taken my head off with a sniper rifle!"

"Calm down. If he wanted you dead I suspect you would be already. Did he say anything to you?"

Bastion was too worked up to listen properly.

"What?"

Aegis spoke with cool, professional detachment. He hoped he could yet inspire Bastion to do the same.

"Did Connor say anything to you? He must have or else you would not know it was him who was shooting. What was it?"

"Just the same threat to do worse to us unless I ended the show."

The next thing Aegis said stunned Bastion. It was said with quiet steel.

"Then end it"

Bastion could not believe that Aegis, of all people, was suggesting surrender.

"No! Why should we give in to that prick?"

"Because that prick, as you call him, is running around our network despite having been confirmed dead twice in forty years. With C sniffing around as well it is only a matter of time before this whole Connor issue gets out of hand. End your show and he will go away. It is the only way to ensure he does in time."

Bastion's fear had gone now, replaced by anger more intense than even he remembered feeling before.

"No. It is my show and my finest achievement. No man will ever take it from me!"

Aegis tried to calm Bastion down.

"Look, when Connor is no longer an active threat we can search for him again, locate him and this time make sure he's dead even if we have to feed his atoms through a sieve. When that happens your show could re-start. It's not a surrender, it is a tactical withdrawal that's all."

By now Bastion could see his driver running towards him. His mind was clouded by his emotions and he crossed the Rubicon.

"To hell with you, you coward! I am ending that Bastard, now!"

Before Aegis could say anything else, Bastion cut the transmission and blocked all but his own network from talking to him. He shouted to his driver,

"Toss the bodies out of there and then drive me to headquarters!"

"Yes sir."

As the driver removed the corpses Bastion made a general announcement to his forces in Lexington. He gave them the description of Connor's vehicle and demanded that they tell him where it was. In moments an agent responded.

"We have the vehicle sir. Heading at high speed towards the city limits. We are in pursuit at a distance. Should we intercept?"

"No, attach a tracking device and then withdraw. Confirm when done." A few moments later the agent came back on the radio.

"Device deployed sir. We are withdrawing."

As Bastion entered the back of the limousine he contacted his local network again.

"Bastion to all Lexington units. Withdraw. I repeat, do not attempt to engage or pursue the target."

Bastion paused for a moment before allowing the full venom of his childish anger to present itself in his voice, "He's mine!"

Bastion's limousine drove at speed towards headquarters whilst he activated a certain unit that was opposite him. The unit spoke with the voice of a cultivated lady.

"Good evening commander. Please enter your activation code."

Bastion punched in an eleven-digit number and smiled with satisfaction as the computer acknowledged him again.

"Activation code confirmed. Please state the nature of the military units required."

"Just the one. Deploy the nearest drone aircraft available immediately."

The computer worked silently for a moment.

"The nearest unit to your signal has been deployed. Would you prefer automated or manual control?"

Bastion looked at his monitor and saw the tracker device beaming Connor's position to him. He knew he needed to feel this victory himself.

"Manual. Project cockpit controls to this location."

"Very good commander. Standby."

The back of the limousine was flooded with a holographic projection of the cockpit from the drone aircraft. Bastion took the controls and looked out of the cockpit window to see he was flying over the desert. He cursed when he realised it would take about fifteen minutes to reach Connor's location but then relaxed. Connor was, if anything, making things easier for him by driving into the middle of nowhere.

"Contact. Bearing 180 by 15. Single plane. Identifying now." The well-trained voice of the airforce radar-operator echoed across the operation room. "Contact is a plane of some kind but it's a configuration I have not seen before. Alert the General please. We need him in here."

General Hamilton was reading in his office when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in."

The airman had clearly been running because he was out of breath and that made Hamilton concerned.

"What's up son?"

"Sir, operation centre reports an unidentified contact on their screens. They need you in there, sir."

"Unidentified? You mean it's not one of ours?"

"Not only that sir but it's not of a type we have in the database either."

Hamilton dropped his book and activated his wall unit.

"Operation centre, this is General Hamilton. Who have we got on standby?"

The voice that replied sounded garbled as if communications were suffering interference. Nonetheless Hamilton was able to understand.

"Three F-35's. Commanded by Captain Mathers, sir"

"Scramble them and tell them to intercept the target. Contact the Pentagon and advise them of the situation. Sound the alert in case we need anyone else airborne quickly. I'm on my way."

Bastion was too intent on piloting the plane to notice much of the other information that was being sent to him. Fortunately his computer was programmed to bring vital information to his attention.

"Commander, AFB Laughlin has been placed on alert. Three F-35's are being scrambled to intercept your aircraft."

Bastion had anticipated interference.

"Are you blocking their communications computer?"

"All local military units are being disrupted, Commander, as per standard procedure. Unfortunately Laughlin is equipped with a new communications system. Our attempts to block them will only result in partial success."

Bastion made a mental note to upgrade the Guild's jamming system.

"What will the jamming do?"

"It will prevent Laughlin from communicating at all but the most local level. They will be isolated from their command and control."

"That will be good enough. Plot me the course of those F-35's and display it on the main viewer."

Bastion noted where the F-35's would have to fly and he smiled. He knew his plane was safe.

Inside the operations room General Hamilton watched as his fighters appeared on the scope. He recognised the familiar voice of Captain Mathers despite the interference on the transmission.

"Command this is Fox 2. We are on station. Proceeding to intercept the target."

Hamilton activated his radio.

"I copy that Fox 2. We need a visual description of the target and the usual challenge procedure please."

Hamilton shouted across the operations room.

"Can someone please clear up this signal? It's like talking through a snow-storm."

Airmen worked quickly in a professional but ultimately futile attempt to break through the interference. The combined shrugging of his subordinates told Hamilton that he was out of luck. He turned to his staff sergeant.

"Any word from central command?"

"We can't get through sir. Nothing is getting in or out beyond a radius of around forty miles."

Hamilton knew he had to warn his pilots quickly or else he would lose his chance.

"Fox 2 this is command. Be advised that our communications are malfunctioning. We will lose you in about thirty seconds. You are authorised to proceed under your own judgement until communications are re-established. Good luck."

"Yippee ki yay, going cowboy. Fox 2 out."

Bastion watched as the F-35's continued to close on his plane. Connor was continuing to drive at speed and had now cleared Lexington altogether, entering open country that provided scant cover at best. As his limousine approached his headquarters Bastion knew he held all the cards and some of his usual swagger reappeared in his voice.

"Computer, activate defence post 19."

"That is a breach of Guild protocol commander. Defence posts are not to be activated until the Day of Atonement."

"Command override. Activate the defence post."

"As you wish commander. Defence post 19 is now active."

The F-35's flew over the open desert. Even though they had no one else to talk to they continued to chat amongst themselves.

"Fox 2, this is Fox 1. I have the target on local scope. I have never seen anything like it though."

"Copy that Fox 1. Initiate challenge procedure."

Mathers heard his colleague attempt to contact the intruder.

"To unidentified aircraft. This is Fox 1 operating out of AFB Laughlin. You are in violation of US airspace and are ordered to identify yourself immediately."

Bastion smiled as he heard the challenge. He began to operate secondary controls.

"Fox 2, this is Fox 1. No response from the target."

"Check the weapon status of the target Fox 1 please."

There was a pause whilst the check was made.

"Confirming hot, repeat hot. Target has weapons activated. Weapons include air to air and air to ground."

Mathers wished he could have instructions from his command but all he had to guide him was his own instincts.

"Ok Fox group. If that thing is hot then so are we. Once we have visual we will challenge it again."

"What if it remains silent sir?"

"The target is hot and heading for Lexington. If it still refuses to acknowledge us then we will use warning shots followed by the real deal."

Bastion was close to Connor now. It was time to remove any distractions. He activated the automated defence post and filled the air with lead.

The sky around Fox group suddenly lit up with intense activity.

"What the hell? Under fire! Fox 2 to command, we are under attack."

Bastion left the computer to finish the task. He just concentrated on flying his plane whilst he heard the screams of the other pilots. Bastion did not care if they lived or died, merely that the dots representing his opponents no longer appeared on his screen. Once that was achieved he focused again on Connor, seeing that his plane was now in visual range of the speeding car.

Bastion was about to initiate weapons-lock when the car entered a tunnel, forcing him to fly to the other end and circle. It was only a matter of seconds before he had re-acquired Connor and of a few seconds more before he had released a missile. Bastion watched the resulting explosion with intense satisfaction before he pressed another button, causing the drone plane to vaporise into a million pieces that would be impossible to analyse correctly.

Bastion stepped out of his limousine and ascended back into his office. The sudden realisation of how he had treated Aegis hit him and he cursed himself for allowing his anger to rule his actions so completely. He hoped he could make amends with Aegis in the morning, along with handling C, but for now he was tired and in need of sleep. It was nearly 20 minutes before Bastion was ready for bed and he was just about to lie down when he received radio signal. Cursing, he went over to his console and shouted.

"What?"

Bastion froze as he heard Connor speak.

"I warned you. Watch the monitors."

The feed from the show was replaced by the faces of the viewers. Underneath each face was their personal information.

"These men are about to be exposed to the world, Bastion. With a simple press of a button I will have not only their details but also what they represent broadcast across the world. I will cause a breach so wide that C will feel himself squeezed as never before and I am sure he will want to express his gratitude to you for being the cause."

Bastion did something he had never done in his life before. He pleaded.

"No, please. Connor please don't!"

Connor paused.

"I will make you a trade Bastion. I will not broadcast their details and I will show you how I discovered them. In return I want your show ending immediately and safe passage for the lady and me. I will bring the data to you personally if you agree."

Bastion smiled. He knew he had a chance now.

"I am surprised you would trust me enough Connor"

"Your Guild is very tradition-based. I know that you all value your promises beyond anything else. If you promise my safety when I visit you, on your Guild honour, then you are duty-bound not to break that promise. Give me half and hour and I will be there. Deal?"

"I need to tell you where I am and I need to arrange another car for you Connor."

"I've always known where you are Bastion and as for the car, thanks but no thanks. I have one on the way now. It's an old friend from long ago but it drives like a dream. I warn you, if I so much as scent one of your agents anytime between now and when we meet I will transmit the data."

"You have my word as a watcher Connor. No one will be close to you and you will come to no harm. See you shortly."

Bastion closed the channel and then opened one to his network.

"This is Bastion. The man called Connor will be entering the city on his way to visit me. Absolutely no-one is to interfere or attempt to track him in any way. I will use CCTV to watch him from here."

Bastion switched his control and contacted his personal bodyguards.

"When Connor arrives I want none of you to be visible. Clear all corridors and wait for my instructions. He must be allowed to enter this room without interference."

"What about when he leaves, sir?"

Bastion looked over to his desk and smiled to himself.

"He won't be leaving agent. Bastion out."

A few minutes later Bastion was watching Connor enter the city. The car was driving at speed and Bastion was glad that local law-enforcement was under his control or some unit might have caused Connor to become concerned. Bastion watched as Connor entered the underground car park in his building, driving beneath the barrier even as he took a ticket, before parking. Connor strode purposefully towards the marked exit and stormed through into the corridor beyond.

Bastion was behind his desk when Connor burst into the room. He smiled at the intruder despite the tension he felt inside.

"Come in Connor. Would you like a drink?"

Connor walked over to the desk.

"I don't sup with the Devil. I see from the monitors that the show is still running."

"You have my word Connor. Give me the information on how you gained the details of my audience and it will end. You and Miss Squires will be free to live in peace ever after."

Connor reached into his jacket and retrieved a compact disk and tossed it contemptuously on the desk.

"It's all on there Bastion. With this you can secure your network again. Now end the show."

Bastion inserted the disk into his computer. It was indeed a treasure-trove. He flicked a switch and the monitors now showed nothing but darkness.

"Quid pro quo Connor. You are free to go."

Connor turned on his heel and was halfway across the office before he heard the safety-catch of a pistol being removed. Slowly turning round he saw Bastion, brandishing the weapon and smiling in triumph.

"You did not think I would really allow you to live, did you?"

Connor showed no reaction. Instead he walked slowly towards the desk.

"You cannot shoot me, you gave me your word."

"I can do whatever I like. Adieu Connor."

Bastion fired until the gun was empty. Each round sounded loudly but none left the weapon. The monitors came back alive, this time showing the two men standing in the office. The unmistakable voice of C came over the channel.

"Drop the weapon Bastion, there's a good chap."

Bastion froze before meekly placing the gun on his desk. Seven of the monitors changed to show seven figures, silhouetted except for their eyes, all staring at Bastion. Connor turned towards them and spoke softly.

"This man is a pompous fool and you are fools for ever having entrusted your security to him."

C spoke harshly, "Steady on my boy, remember who you are addressing."

"I know exactly who I am addressing, Caspian. These are, I presume, the other full Guild members?"

Bastion suddenly found his voice again. "Caspian? I had always presumed that C stood for..." Connor interrupted him with a smile.

"That would have been a little egotistical, wouldn't you say?"

Connor looked at the shadows again as he continued to address Bastion. "These are your lords and masters. Seven of them, each named after the sea that designates their area of global control. Caspian, appropriately, is in charge of internal affairs and I am a product of his imagination."

Bastion turned towards the monitors. "Who is this man? Why did you send him to torment me?"

Caspian spoke with fatherly tenderness. "He is my greatest gift to the Guild. I bred him from the DNA of our strongest adversary, schooled him with everything that individual knew and then turned him loose. I was concerned that the Guild had lost its way, that it had become decadent, and I was determined to test our internal security in the harshest manner. No better way than to turn our historically greatest enemy into our agent, eh?"

Bastion became angry. "Why against me though? I served you well!"

Connor turned to him and his words tore through Bastion's soul. "Your show was the very essence of the decadence Caspian is speaking about. He tolerated it whilst I was being schooled but it was clearly going to be the first thing to be tested when I was ready. That is why he made you leave the bathroom clear for, one day, I was going to need a place you could not observe."

Bastion slammed his fists down on his desk.

"What kind of a test was this? It was impossible to defeat this man if every action I performed was going to be undermined. My agents lied to me, you sacrificed some of them in the process! Why did you have to kill the sniper?"

Caspian spoke softly.

"The sniper was not anticipated. We thought you would only use Guild resources and I must admit you threw us when you recruited him. It was all we could do to sabotage his bullets without alerting you. That and the glass we had in the house saved the experiment. He died because he could not be allowed to compromise us.