The Gilded Cage Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The test was not about whether you could defeat this man, Bastion, it was about whether you would perform your duty. Aegis was blinded by his friendship and went beyond his brief in actively trying to encourage you to report all this. Despite that your ego caused you to fail. You even exposed some of our military capability to outsiders. The final test was not one of competency but one of honour. If you had not broken your word to that man we could simply have demoted you but now, I fear, you have broken the very essence of your Guild membership. In respect to your past service I am giving you one chance to resign."

"If I choose not to?"

"If you do not resign we will be forced to expel you. You know the penalty for expulsion is death. If you resign we guarantee that you will not be killed so long as you maintain discretion. You can keep your assets and have a future."

It was only his ego that caused Bastion to hesitate.

"I resign"

Caspian clapped his hands together.

"Good for you my boy, good for you. Well, don't let us keep you."

The door to the office opened electronically and Bastion took the hint and walked out. Connor watched him as he descended to the car park and drove away.

One of the other silhouettes spoke.

"You cannot leave it at that Caspian. We must maintain the status quo."

"Don't concern yourself with that, Caribbean, I have the matter in hand. The man formally known as Bastion will be taken to our new coastal facility. There we will work out what went wrong with our screening, how he rose so high and yet was so fundamentally flawed. Believe me, by the time we are through with him, he will wish we had killed him."

Connor watched as a black hearse silently began to tail Bastion's car. His gaze was interrupted when Caspian addressed him again.

"So, sir, are you ready to become the new Bastion?"

Connor looked at the seven.

"First things first. Tammy Squires has served us well by allowing me to expose that idiot. You will promise me that, so long as she maintains discretion, she will be given all the support that the Guild can provide. Her future must be as gilded as the cage we placed her in. Secondly, I intend to tell her everything she needs to know about me. I want her to make an informed decision about whether she would choose to become my companion, without pressure or sanction if she declines."

Caspian thought for a moment.

"As long as you do not give away any operational secrets then you have my word."

Connor continued, knowing his primary aims had been achieved.

"I also decline your offer to be the new Bastion. Go find some other patsy to play ball with."

There were cries of outrage from the shadows followed by silence. Caspian sounded puzzled.

"Why? It would give you more power than you can possibly dream of. It is why you were bred, it is your destiny. The Guild is your mother and father."

Connor held out his hands, palms up.

"You see? No handcuffs. I prefer it that way. You made me identical to that individual in the facility, why are you now shocked that I choose to decline to serve you?"

Connor turned on his heels and began to walk away. Caspian called after him.

"Wait! You cannot think you can just walk away from us. We will destroy you."

Connor turned around with a thin smile.

"You are welcome to try. This building contains no one and your network in Lexington is currently un-contactable. My last gifts to you as your lap dog. By the time you re-establish command and control I will be long gone. You will then only know where I am by the trail of destroyed Guild assets I leave in my wake."

Caspian let out a trademark laugh.

"Wonderful! You see gentlemen? He's exactly what I promised you. A freethinker, a blast of fresh air that will revitalise us! Oh, my sweet boy, is there any role I could offer you that would make you reconsider?"

Connor thought for a moment.

"Make me above the watchers. Let me go anywhere and have access to anything. Allow me to root out the diseased parts of the Guild and advise on how to augment its control over the world. I will settle for nothing less."

Caspian paused.

"I will need to consult with the others. You are asking for a great deal."

"Take your time. I need a few minutes anyway."

As the shadows conferred Connor sat at the desk and inserted another CD into the computer. He opened a file headed "Matthew Chapter 4" and began to read. Connor had created this file in secret over many years, knowing that this moment would come. No matter the illustrious individual who had inspired his creation Connor was still human. He still lusted and he knew he could still be corrupted. Connor had placed into the file everything he knew about the history of the Guild, every assassination, dirty trick and war they had created. By the time he had finished Connor had reminded himself of why this abomination needed to be brought down.

With anger burning in his stomach, Connor returned to the monitors.

"Well?"

Caspian sounded subdued.

"I am afraid I have been out-voted son. There was insufficient support for your new role. I guess we must have you as a nemesis after all."

Connor was about to leave when he saw a new image on one of the monitors. This image was only of a pair of red eyes and Connor wondered why this individual was not silhouetted like the others. Perhaps even darkness could not contain their secret? When the eyes spoke the room listened.

"The Guild agrees. Caspian, make it so."

There was a note of distinct reverence in Caspian's voice as he spoke.

"Yes number one, thank you. I am sure your wisdom has guided us into a new and stronger future."

The eyes vanished. Caspian addressed Connor once more.

"Congratulations my boy!"

Connor had a small smile on his face. Only he knew that the Guild had been too perfect, too thorough in his preparation. Only Connor knew the way he would be going. Only he knew the true meaning behind his last remark.

Connor gestured to the shadows and said, "Be seeing you."