The Hawkins Place

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No wonder Mother loves you too." I looked at Mo then kissed her.

That night about two in the morning I suddenly sat up in bed and listened. Mo woke up and asked, "What's wrong Nate?"

"I...you're going to think I'm nuts."

"I already do. Did you have a bad dream?"

"No, no, not at all. This house is talking to me again."

Mo moved so she could see me better and asked, "What do you mean?"

"Something or someone or whatever the hell it is says I'll live here for a long time and everything will be alright. It's like it came to me. Not a voice or a sound just a message."

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine. In fact I feel relief. I know I don't have to leave Hawkins Place now."

"Nate you scare me sometimes. You're that sure the message isn't a dream?"

"I'm that sure Mo."

Sunday morning after breakfast I asked Mo to help me go through some of the things in the Library. We sorted clothes into one pile, books in another, journals and pictures in another and so on. Then I remembered Aggie had that box of journals and pictures, so I asked Mo if it would be all right to have Aggie come over for coffee and bring the things in the box with her. Mo smiled and agreed. I called Aggie and in minutes she was there with the box of things.

Aggie joined us and the three of us had a wonderful time. Aggie even started washing the clothes and drying them making a pile of very nice, very old items. I had run across a lot of pictures and was casually flipping through them before adding them to the pile when I saw a picture of the carriage house. "Oh shit."

Aggie said, "What is it Nate?" Both girls came over and saw the picture of the carriage house. Aggie said, "That's the old carriage house is all. It's been gone for years."

"Mo, where are those drawings I made?"

"They're still in the kitchen, I'll get them." Mo came back and laid the drawings out. I took the pictures out and laid them next to the drawings.

"Anybody have doubts this house talks to me?" My drawings were the same exact design as the old carriage house. The curve of the door openings, the design of the cupola on the roof, even the length of the eaves was identical. I said, "You can't believe how fast I drew these. It was well less than two hours."

Mo said, "My God Nate, this is so weird." Aggie was smiling.

"Nate, I have no doubt you are supposed to be here." We decided we needed a cup of coffee and a break.

After about three hours Aggie kissed us both and left. Mo and I decided we'd done enough sorting. There was plenty of time for that. I said, "I just remembered what Grace said about pictures of the carriage house. She knew they'd be identical, yet she was so cool and calm about it. I'll bet when you tell Grace about this she will smile and nod is all."

"I'm beginning to think you know her better than I do."

That evening after dinner, Mo and I were sitting in the living room talking about everything, past present and future. I said, "Mo, I love having you here. Actually I just love being with you."

"I love being with you too Nate. So you think you would be happy living in this big old house?"

I looked at Mo and said, "I love the idea but it has one condition."

"What's that?"

"That you will share it with me."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean as my wife."

"Nate, are you proposing to me?"

I took her hand, looked at her and said, "That's exactly what I'm doing Mo. I love you so much. You have overwhelmed me. I almost made a fool of myself the first day I ever saw you. Will you marry me?"

"I'd have to stay in Asheville frequently during the week.

"Does that mean you love me and will marry me?"

"Of course I love you. I said so when we were talking about Mother earlier today. I said, "Mother loves you too. I thought I was hitting you over the head, but I guess I was too subtle, and yes I will marry you on one condition."

"What's that?"

"We get married in this house."

"That would be perfect."

"There is one more condition."

"What?"

"You finish our bedroom first. I have to have the marriage bed in the new suite."

We hugged, kissed, laughed and kissed again. We didn't make love. At least not right then. Mo called Grace and put her on the speakerphone so all three of us could talk. Grace was euphoric. She was almost giddier than we were. I told Grace what Mo had said about Mo being like she was when she was young then added, "So in a way I'm marrying you. Maybe you can give me some tips on what to lookout for. I think I have my hands full."

"You do have your hands full Nate, but I'll help you through it."

"I knew I could count on you." Mo told Grace about us getting married in the living room and Grace cried. After hanging up I realized we had to tell Aggie. That was going to be tough for me.

"Mo, when Aggie is told about us there is going to be a lot of hugging, kissing and crying. Do you want to be there or should I tell her next week?"

"I want to be there. I understand about you two. You have been very up front about her." I was scared to death to tell her. Not even Aggie knew how close I came to proposing to her at one point.

Chapter Twelve

I called Aggie and asked, "Aggie is it too late for Mo and me to come over for a minute?" Aggie said she'd put the pot on. We walked over and gathered around the table like I'd done a thousand times before. Normally I was as comfortable there as at home.

"So, what's up with you two?" Thankfully Mo took over.

"Aggie, Nate just proposed to me and I said yes." There was a pause and I died.

"I'm so happy for you two. When I set it up so you two could meet I knew you were good for each other. You two belong together." I got up and gave Aggie the warmest hug and kiss I could. I had to talk to her after Mo had left but I felt relief. We talked about getting married in the living room and Aggie insisted on being involved in the wedding preparations. When we got up to go I gave her a hug, a kiss, a pat on the ass and I winked at her twice. Aggie winked back.

When we left Mo said, "You two are so near being married you might end up feeling like a bigamist. Have you always had that hug, kiss, pat and wink routine?"

"It evolved I guess you could say. I like having two women in my life I've decided."

"You bigamist."

Mo left straight for work from home very early Monday morning and I went to work like always. Monday night I walked over to Aggie's. "Hi Aggie, got any coffee?"

"Only for you love." God that sounded good.

"I have to tell you Aggie my love, it was incredibly hard to come over here and tell you we were getting married."

"Thank you for your concern, but I told you I was okay and I meant it. All things considered it couldn't work out better. In a way I'll have you longer than if you'd stayed single and had to sell the house. At least you will be close."

"I love you Aggie."

"I know you do Nate, and I love you. Even better, Mo knows we love each other."

"We are a strange pair aren't we?"

"We found what works for us and that's all that counts."

"Aggie, over the years did you ever feel like the house talked to you?"

"Not exactly no, but I know what you're talking about." I went home feeling a lot better. I even worked on the bedroom until one in the morning.

I took some time and rounded up the rest of the things from the storage areas and put it all in the library just in case Grace wanted to go through it. The house was talking to me again apparently, because Mo called and said Grace wanted to come up again. I was glad I'd gotten the things out for her. I rented a small bedroom outfit for Grace and had it put in the bedroom next to my temporary bedroom. When Mo and Grace got there we had lunch and talked for hours, then Grace got up and said, Nate, if you don't mind I'd like to spend some private time with the things in the library. I just want to visit my past once more if you don't mind.

"Grace you take all the time you want. I'm going to take Mo to look at furniture and we'll meet back here if that works for you."

Grace gave Mo a look then said, "That would be fine." I went upstairs for my billfold and when I came down Mo stopped talking to Grace. We left for shopping.

On the way Mo said, "I wasn't going to tell you for a while because it was to be one of our wedding gifts but now I have to. Mother still has most of the furniture from this house in storage and she's giving it to us. We won't want it all because it's just too old, but she thought we might like the wood pieces. The tables and the book cases from the library that sort of thing. So we better hold off on buying furniture."

"I wasn't really going to look for furniture I just wanted to give Grace some space. She has some things she needs to put to rest I think. Things she has been carrying around with her for a very long time."

"How can you know that Nate?"

"I don't know. I just know I guess."

"My God you two must read each others minds all the time."

"By the way I'd love to have the furniture if you don't mind. We can make this place look so wonderful now."

"Only if we can have more modern sofas and chairs. "

Mo and I fixed dinner and the three of us had a very pleasant evening. I learned what a hellion Mo was as a child, and Grace talked about Allan just a little bit. I was learning more all the time. Grace yawned and apologized then bid us goodnight. Mo and I talked for a long time after that about setting a wedding date and our immediate future then we went to bed.

For whatever reason, I woke at five am and got up without waking Mo. I felt rested and ready to go. I didn't want to wake anybody so I just dressed and slipped downstairs to make coffee. I was surprised to see Grace sitting there in her robe having coffee. "Good morning dear lady. What gets you up so early?"

"Probably the same thing that got you up so early."

"I can't believe I'm up this early and awake." I poured my coffee and topped off Grace's cup then sat down next to her. We made small talk for a few minutes then Grace set her cup down and took my hands in hers and looked at me.

"Nate, I want to say this before Alice gets up. You and I both know there is something between us. We sense the others needs I guess you could say. You know what I'm thinking without realizing it. I know how you feel about us and about things. I can feel it. I know some of your fears. We are linked somehow, maybe by the house. It really does talk to you doesn't it."

"It really does Grace. I can't explain it, but it does."

"You don't have to explain it, I know. I'm so happy for you two, and I know the two of you and this house are all meant for each other and you will be happy together. I know this and I don't need to tell you how I know it. I love you both dearly, with or without the house, but the house is a very healthy place for the two of you. You can do what you want with the things in the library now. I have no more need of them. Now be a dear and give me a kiss and freshen our coffee." It occurred to me I'd never even kissed Grace on the cheek before. I got up and kissed her on the cheek and touched her face with my hand. "Thank you Grace, for being here, for being so understanding and for being you. I think you are as much a connection for me and Mo as the house is." I didn't see it but Grace was watching me and smiling. I poured us fresh coffee and sat down just before Mo came in the room.

"Okay you two, what are you up to?"

"We wondered if you were going to sleep all day."

"It isn't even six a.m. yet."

Grace said, "The best part of the day." As Mo poured her coffee she smiled and said,

"Seeing the two of you alone together makes me nervous."

Mo and Grace left a little after lunch and I went to work on the bedroom.

Monday night Andy was there and we went at it hard. Every night after work I'd work on the house then go to Aggie's for dinner then work until midnight. Andy would stick with it until about half past nine then head home. The next weekend Mo had to fly to Phoenix so I wouldn't see her for another week. I hated that, but it gave me two whole days to work on the house. The plumber was almost done so it was up to me. By the next Thursday I had the plumber setting the fixtures and I took Friday as a vacation day and finished the room. I was exhausted. I told Andy he was in charge of the remaining three bedrooms and the bathroom but I was kind of in a hurry for them. We went over what the rooms needed and I turned him loose. I had a carriage house to build.

We still hadn't set the date for the wedding but I was hoping to have the carriage house done in time for a spring wedding. Then it started again. Something was telling me we had to marry by May. The feeling was so strong it rattled me, so I took the pictures and drawings to an architect and had him draw plans for it. I wanted to be certain it was right. Then I hired the contractor that did the other work for me and went over in detail what I had to have. I was running out of time and had to abandon my plan to build it myself. The house was talking to me again. Or was it the house? I was beginning to wonder. I had about four months to finish. I asked Andy how he felt with that time frame and he thought he might make it but wasn't sure. I asked him if he knew somebody who could work with him and be certain they'd be done on time. He said he'd take care of it.

The next weekend I asked Mo if we could get married the first part of May and she was more than happy with that. She and Aggie would make the plans. The two women in my life. I confided in Aggie about my urgency saying, "I'm not saying anything to Mo about it and I couldn't explain it if I had to, but I know it has to be early May."

Wonderful sweet Aggie said, "I understand Nate. Believe me I do." That's all she would say. I guess that's all she had to say.

The closer the time came, the more the house or whatever was talking to me. I could feel the urgency. It wasn't something that scared me; it was just something that had to be done. Period. I found myself walking around the house touching things up, double checking everything and hounding the construction guys on the carriage house. It was a four car building so it was good sized and the detail had to be perfect. Right down to particular lantern lights. When Mo was there I slowed down and acted normally. She'd really think I'd gone off the deep end and maybe I had.

I took out all the things I was interested in from the collection in the library then called the historical society in Asheville. A lady named Eleanor Taylor came out and took the whole collection that remained. She asked to see the house and was very impressed with it making suggestions on the furnishings and arrangement. I told her I had the original furniture coming and that really impressed her.

I spent several days going over old photos and selected quite a few to hang. I remembered a plaque, something like a small coat of arms that was found in the pile from the storage area on the second floor. I took it upstairs and hung it on the wall just outside the small door. I smiled and said out loud to no one, "There Mava, just as I promised."

Mo asked me about it later and I lied to my wife to be. "It's something that seemed like it should be there." Mo patted my ass and that was the end of that. I always keep my promises.

Chapter Thirteen

Thursday evening as I was returning from Aggie's, Mava pulled into the drive so I invited her in for coffee. There was the usual small talk for several minutes then Mava told me I was right about Sheila. "She's a controlling bitch that almost ruined my life.

I ended up seeing a therapist because of her."

"I'm sorry to hear about that Mava. You don't deserve that." We talked some more and I told her I was getting married. Mava cried.

"If that damn woman had stayed out of my life we might still be seeing each other."

"We might, but we'll never know for sure. You're still my friend Mava and I hope I'll still be yours."

"You will always be special to me Nate." We talked a while longer and Mava's spirits seemed to improve so I showed her what else I'd done on the house including the master suite, and then then showed her the plaque.

"I keep my promises." I got a hug and a kiss for that. Mava left about ten and I went to bed and I thought about Mava. She was a great woman and a lot of fun to be with. She was also great in bed.

Whenever Grace needed to talk to me she would have Mo call me. I didn't know why. That was just her way, so when she called me herself I was surprised. I told her it was good to hear from her, and she said she wanted to have the furniture delivered if that was okay. I told her absolutely and that I was anxious to see it. The movers were there the next week. I'd never seen any of the pieces so I had to make some fast decisions about what went where. They were amazing pieces, ornate without being gaudy. Like a long sofa table, end tables, occasional tables, lamps that needed some restoration, side chairs that I thought were beautiful, bedroom furniture and it went on and on. I spent a lot of time looking everything over. I didn't even know the names of some of the pieces or where they might go, so I just put them where I thought they looked nice. I was sure Mo would want to rearrange, but we had time yet for that. I was anxious to have Grace see it all back in the house. I sent Grace flowers with a long note of thanks.

With all the furniture from Grace I had to put an ad in the paper to sell my furniture. That wasn't one of my smarter ideas. Everybody and their brother came. Almost all of them were just curious about the house and more than a few wanted to see where the skeleton was found. I wasn't very nice to those people. I did sell the furniture though.

I guessed the house or who or whatever it was, decided I was on schedule because it had been pretty quiet. I still felt there was heavy significance to early May.

Chapter Fourteen

It was the first Monday in April and I went to work as usual and was called to the boss's office. I always hate that. "Nate, how would you like to be an assistant manager? The hours would be a little more variable but the pay would be quite a bit better. I know you can do the job so it's up to you."

"I'm getting married next month so I have a honeymoon coming up. Will that be a problem?"

"None whatsoever and congratulations. Let me know by say, next Monday." I thanked him for the opportunity and left with a little more bounce in my step. I had been told I would keep the house. It was looking better all the time. My cash reserves were being drawn down quite a bit, so more money coming in would be a big help. I couldn't wait to tell Mo on Saturday.

When she got there and saw the furniture she was impressed and agreed with the arrangement for the most part.

Then she added, "But we have to have a few more modern touches because, though looking grand it's a little depressing. Nate, I know an interior decorator that would be a lot of help to us if you don't mind."

"I think we could use the help, but she'll have to hurry."

"I'll call her Monday."

I told her of my promotion and she was happy for me and took us out to dinner to celebrate. When we got home we continued to celebrate in our new suite. "So, my love, how do you like you're new suite?"

"I think it's wonderful, and since you are so good with your hands I think we just might have to spend the day up here tomorrow and keep those hands busy."

"I think you just might be right." It wasn't quite all day. Mo loved the carriage house when we walked out there late Sunday. "I have somebody coming on Wednesday to start the cobblestone driveway and that will be the last of the restoration. It's a good thing too. We're almost out of time and I'm about out of construction funds."