The Hypogeum Ch. 10-11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once installed in his office, he looked out of the window and took in the view. An overcast sky full of thick grey clouds formed the backdrop of Salisbury Cathedral as it dominated the cityscape and Sir Nigel entertained the idea that once the business was completed and Baphomet's schemes had come to fruition, he might like the Cathedral for himself. It would make a fine house. He was interrupted by the beep of his intercom and his PA's voice, "Sir, Mr Adrian Walker to see you."

She had already been warned that Adrian Walker was to be given access to her boss at any time, and his visits superseded any other business that Sir Nigel might have. Somewhat irritated, Sir Nigel strode across the room and opened the door himself, "Come in Adrian," he said.

The brash northerner was dressed in his usual fashion and accepted the invitation inside. Sir Nigel spoke to his PA, "Hold my calls," before closing the door. He turned to face Walker and asked, "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Adrian replied with a question of his own, "Not even going to offer me a drink?"

Somewhat startled, Winthrop looked at his watch and said, "It's just gone nine o'clock in the morning."

"So? It's rather fresh today and I need a drink. Besides, I've just been meeting with His Lordship and we have much to discuss."

Sir Nigel's brow furrowed slightly, "Why does His Lordship speak to me through you? Shouldn't I receive instructions in person?"

"Winthrop! Just because you now wear the red robes, don't think for one second that you are any more indispensable than when you wore the brown. I don't question Baphomet and neither should you."

Sir Nigel accepted the rebuke without comment; he merely went to his drinks cabinet and poured out a healthy measure of Whisky into a tumbler and a bitter lemon for himself.

"Not joining me Winthrop?" asked Adrian with false camaraderie.

"No. It's too early for me."

Adrian made himself comfortable in one of the armchairs without being invited and waited in silence for Nigel to sit down as well. Inside, Sir Nigel was seething. How dare he! How dare this insufferable little man give orders to him? In his own headquarters, no less! However, Nigel was very careful to give no outward hint of his anger. He knew that Walker was a powerful man and also higher in the pecking order within the Hypogeum than he was. But not for long if Sir Nigel had anything to do with it. He joined his visitor and sat down, taking a careful sip of his drink, Winthrop asked, "So... What news?"

Walker fixed him with his piercing gaze and said, "Tell me how the DataVault project is progressing."

"It's going swimmingly. We've had more orders than we can currently handle and I've even had to take on some contractors to help with some of the installations. We've even had interest from some of the Russian concerns."

"That's not what I meant. I already know that DataVault is flying off the shelves. Talk to me about the important things."

The insufferable little man! Nigel took another sip of his drink and answered urbanely, "Every installation has been tested and the links back to WinCom are all working correctly. No one, to our knowledge, has any idea that we're monitoring their systems from here, or that we can assume control of them whenever we want."

Adrian Walker responded thoughtfully, "Good. Another thing, have your teams picked up any activity by the Baines woman?"

"No, she went to ground and I haven't had a sniff."

Walker swilled his drink and then said, "Except for the team you lost at her house, of course."

Somewhat taken aback, Sir Nigel opened and closed his mouth without speaking. His superior grinned wolfishly, "Did you think to hide that little matter?"

"Of... Of course not. I was merely surprised that you knew."

"I know many things Nigel Winthrop."

The omission of the honorific was not lost and Nigel struggled to regain his composure before he answered, "So? I lost a team. They were clumsy and deserved all they got. No harm done."

"Were you not warned by Baphomet himself to keep away from that house?"

Nigel could see that Adrian was enjoying his discomfort, "I thought-"

"That's just it! You didn't think! Know this Winthrop, Baphomet is far from pleased with you. Not only did you lose a team, but you openly defied him in sending them there in the first place!"

Walker waited a moment to allow the gravity of Winthrop's situation dawn. When he thought that Nigel had suffered enough, he continued, "Don't fret man. I managed to calm him down. He wanted to drink your blood you know, but I managed to sort the mess out. Still... Be warned, that he will brook no further disobedience. Your continued membership of the Inner Fellowship, and indeed your life depend on it. Am I quite clear?"

Sir Nigel stammered, "Y... Yes, of course. You may let His Lordship know that this is the last time I'll let him down. It was after all, a minor error of judgement, and when you consider my other successes-"

Once again, Walker interrupted him, "His Lordship doesn't care what you have done for him. He cares about you current performance. You are on very thin ice, Sir Nigel Winthrop and I hope, for your sake, that it doesn't crack beneath you."

Adrian Walker had said what he came to say, so he knocked back his drink and stood up, "I must go now. Thank you for this little chat. It has been most... edifying."

After Adrian had left, Sir Nigel sat back in his chair, he went white when he thought about how close he had come to a one-way trip to Old Sarum. He looked at his watch and noted that it was coming up to a quarter to ten. He murmured to himself, "I think I will have a drink," moved over to his drinks cabinet and filled a tumbler almost to the brim with whisky.