Duplicity - Final

Story Info
Lord Davenport finds he had deceived himself.
28.1k words
4.26
20.9k
18

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 12/14/2022
Created 11/20/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wws_wws
wws_wws
168 Followers

"M'lord! Lord Davenport!" A distant frantic voice called from a distance.

But, he had already heard the approaching thunder of galloping hooves and rattling carriage wheels. One large gloved hand gripped the carriage reigns, the other reached for a blade tucked in his left boot. He cursed his foolish attempt at romance with this open topped little landau that left them vulnerable to anything that may be coming their way. These were his lands, but in these uncertain times. The best he could do was put himself between any impending danger and his lady.

Evelyn peeked around her husband's broad shoulders. She saw another landau, accompanied by an outrider, approach in a cloud of thick grey dust. Coachman, horses, carriage were all a similar shade of hazy grey. The open carriage, in a cloud of pale grey dust, was so laden with luggage, the tops of two ladies' bonnets were barely visible. The outrider stood up in the stirrups waving to them.

"My lord, are we ever glad to see you!"

Lord Davenport slipped his long knife back into his boot before he jumped down to grab onto the muzzles of the horses when the other carriage drew up beside them.

"Lady Ann!" Evelyn cry out in recognition and glee. She didn't notice her husband blanch. "My dear friend!"

"Lord and Lady Davenport, we had not expected to meet like this," Lady Ann panted between coughs. She tried, unsuccessfully, to waved aside some of the dust clouds before her.

Next to Ann, was a younger woman. Wisps of pretty blond hair peeked out from her wide-brimmed hat. She held out one graceful gloved hand towards Lord Davenport. "We're so delighted to see you, my lord. But I beg your pardon for our shabby appearance."

"Of course Lady St. James needs no introduction," Ann said, with wry amusement.

"What's happened?" Lord Davenport asked of the outrider.

Everyone spoke at once. No one could say how and where it started, but a fire had completely engulfed Sir Richard's home. The ladies were quickly bundled into a quickly harnessed landau, with what haphazardly stuffed luggage they could flee with.

Only then did Evelyn realize it wasn't dust but ash that covered them. It coated absolutely everything and everyone. "Of course, you are most welcome," she said.

"Sir. Richard?" Lord Davenport asked no one in particular.

"He remains with the others, my lord," the outrider replied. "He charged us to see the ladies to safety."

Evelyn thought she recognized the man's voice beneath his hat brim. His livery marked him as a footman, but there was no time to ponder that.

They all turned towards the hills, behind a line of trees towards Sir. Richard's pile. Sure enough, thick columns of silvery grey smoke billowed above a distant tree line, rising higher and higher to join the thick clouds above.

Out the corners of Evelyn's eyes, she caught a movement. Lady St. James had gotten up abruptly just as the moved forward, causing her balance to tip. She would have toppled from the carriage had Lord Davenport not caught her in time. Evelyn noted the way his large hands spanned Lady St. James' slender waist as he helped her back to her seat. The grateful young woman clutched his broad shoulders for a moment longer than necessary. The way Lady St. James never once took her adoring gaze from Lord Davenport made Evelyn's scalp prickle. She quickly pushed past the feeling. Their friends and neighbours were in need and she was being silly.

Lord Davenport wasted no time as he gestured for the footman's horse. The man quickly scrambled off his saddle and held the bit steady for his lordship to swing up.

"See the ladies to the Hall then return at once to Sir. Richard's." Lord Davenport spun the beast around to cast a regretful look down on his wife. There was no need for words.

Evelyn's cheeks dimpled as she gave him a firm nod. "Go."

The clear blue sky above disappeared behind a blanket of shapeless grey. They felt the first drizzle before they reached the Hall. News of the fire at Sir Richard's must have arrived before them. Servants rushed between the Hall and a formation of carts to load it with barrels and crates.

Martha and another maid came rushing down the entrance steps with henways for the ladies.

"Is this all for Sir Richard?" Evelyn asked Martha, gesturing to the commotion.

"Yes, m'lady." Martha shivered and huddled closer to her mistress. "News came not long ago. Some of the lads went straight away. Pray God puts the fire out with this rain."

"Have rooms readied for our guests," Evelyn instructed.

"The south wing is being prepared, m'lady."

Evelyn glanced back at her two guests just as Lady St. James was being lifted down by her manservant. Even covered in ash, the other young woman was lovely. Her features fine, delicate, vulnerable. A mythical creature from a fairy kingdom. But, duty supersedes petty jealousy. "We must give them tea, cakes, anything. Serve it in the green drawing room. Whatever we might do to make our guests more comfortable, do."

Lady Ann came up to take Evelyn's arm, while Lady St. James followed close behind.

"When Lady St. James invited me to her childhood home in the country, so close to you, I couldn't resist," Ann said as they entered the Hall. "We had only just arrived. Before I had a chance to send word to you, disaster struck."

Evelyn clasped her friend's hands warmly in her own. "I'm glad you are here, regardless of the circumstances, my dear." To the other young woman, Evelyn said kindly, "You are most welcome, my lady. We'll try our best to make your stay comfortable."

"Yes," Lady St. James muttered. Her green eyes, wide and seemingly innocent, darted about but did not meet Evelyn's gaze.

Evelyn blinked at the other woman's coldness. Surely, Lady St. James was in shock from her ordeal. "Come. Wash. Rest. Refreshments will be sent up to you, or we'll have tea in the green drawing room when you are ready."

A heavy rain darkened the heavens before her guests came down again. Washed and changed, Lady St. James, or Bess, as she asked to be called, was quite the vision. She was tall, willowy and possessed that celestial beauty only the flaxen-haired can achieve. For the first time, Evelyn felt herself too dark, her feminine curves inelegant by comparison.

While Ann prattled on and on about nothing in particular, Bess silently chewed on some cold beef, while her languishing green eyes remained downcast.

Finally, Evelyn found her voice. "How did the fire start?"

Ann sighed and waved a hand dismissively. "Careless scullery maid. Who could say how these things happen?"

Just then Ann turned her freshly scrubbed face towards Evelyn, causing the younger woman to gasp. "What's happened to your poor face!"

"Oh." Ann touched her bruised cheek still visible beneath carefully applied powder. "My own carelessness. It's nothing-."

They were interrupted by Bess. "How could we ever explain this to my mother? But my sister wanted to extend her honeymoon trip, and mummy stayed to with her-"

Evelyn thought better than to inquire why a mother would accompany her daughter's honeymoon trip.

"-but if she were here, this wouldn't have happened, surely. If she were here."

"I'm sure your sister's new husband would agree," Ann said sweetly.

"It's all absolutely dreadful," said Bess, sounding less and less distressed with each sip of tea. "Lady Ann and I had only just arrived and intended to stay until harvest. Thankfully my brother-in-law, Ainsley had escorted us here and stayed on at the Stag. I suppose he can see us back again-."

"Shall we send word to your husband-" Evelyn's lips snapped shut when she saw Ann slightly shake her head, in quiet warning.

Bess continued to sip her tea. "My husband's political work is very important matters of state. He's quite vital to Prince Edward. I shan't bother him with such trivialities." Evelyn nearly laughed out loud. Edward? Political? If Parliamentary discourse were set to music perhaps her brother might take heed.

"It's near impossible to make other arrangements at this late date," Ann agreed. "And I've leased my house-"

"There's no need to change your plans. You are most welcome to stay at the Hall for as long as you'd like," Evelyn offered with an eager dimpled smile at Ann.

"We shan't be a burden," Bess said, breezily. She still did not address Evelyn directly. "Lucky for us most of our things were salvaged. We have our maids and Lady Ann's footman is here to wait on us- "

It dawned on Evelyn then. "The manservant who rode alongside you, it's the Warwick's footman, Jeffery. I thought he had a familiar face."

Ann sipped her tea. "Lady Warwick was forced to make some household changes now that Lord Warwick has passed. God rest his soul. I thought it'd be a help to take on some of her burdens."

Bess spoke again as she arranged a blond curl over her slender shoulder. "I do wonder what's keeping Lord Davenport. He ought to have fetched Papa and brought him back by now."

"Perhaps he stayed to help," Ann replied, banally.

"Whatever for? There are plenty of others for such things."

Evelyn felt more and more befuddled by her guest. Before she could think of a response, another visitor was announced. The ladies quickly made themselves presentable when Ainsley Elwood came through. Elwood bowed low, then spoke quickly and loudly before the ladies could utter a sound: "Pardon the intrusion, Lady Davenport, but allow me to introduce myself. Ainsley Elwood, at your service. Lady St. James' brother-in-law."

Once again, Evelyn did not have a chance to speak, to ask why her old friend introduced himself as a stranger, when Bess cried out: "Ainsley, is Lord Davenport with you? What about Papa? What's happened?"

"Your father is unharmed," Elwood assured her. "Bit too much smoke, perhaps. I left him to rest in my room at the Stag. He'll be himself again in a day or two."

A strangled little cry escaped Bess's throat as she slumped prettily against Ann. Everyone rushed forward to help. Elwood helped Bess to a sofa and Evelyn put her feet up. Ann freshened Bess's teacup as she waved a fan in front of Bess. Elwood said, "There, there, ol' girl. Have your tea. No need to fret. Your father will be on his feet again in a day or two."

"Was anyone else hurt?" Evelyn asked of Elwood, over the other young woman's gasps and moans.

"A few singed brows and blistered fingers. Luckily the fire has been contained to just the house. Of course, it must all be rebuilt."

"The Hall is open to all," Evelyn was quick to assure her guests.

"Yes, as his lordship commanded," Elwood replied. "I escorted some of the injured and exhausted here when I saw there was not much more I could do."

"What of Lord Davenport?" Bess cried out, from her prone spot on the couch.

"Busy saving your family home, dear," was Ann's pithy reply.

The housekeeper came in again and asked for Evelyn's instructions on some household matters. Ann's keen eyes saw how Evelyn cast an anxious glance at Bess. Could Lady Davenport be intimidated by Bess, Ann wondered, amused? But Ann couldn't keep her attention from Ainsley Elwood, who seemed on the verge of stopping Evelyn before she departed. Elwood possessed a face that was as beautiful as any woman, with his soft hooded eyes, sculpted nose and indecently sensual lips. That face was out of place on a medium, stocky built, full of tension of a young caged bull. Ann started to plot.

Sometime later Evelyn returned to find Ann busy comforting Bess near the fire, while Ainsley Elwood appeared to be studying the bindings of a thick volume, some distance away.

Elwood watched Evelyn glide towards him, bringing with her a ray of light on this dark, dreary day. "Still prefer fringe philosophers I see," he said when she drew near.

Evelyn's lowered her thick lashes, then flicked it upwards again. "It will be alright, wouldn't it, Ainsley?"

"Whyever not?" Elwood set the tome aside. She cast a quick glance over at Ann and Bess. The others, their heads still pressed together, paid them no mind. He chanced a playful wink at Evelyn and gave her elbow a little pinch. "Forgive me my little deception, old girl. I couldn't think of a way to explain us."

"I wish you hadn't done that," Evelyn chided him. "One lie leads to hundred more."

"What good is truth if it will only matters worse? Edward's told me of your troubles with this lot. But I take your point, sweet Evie. My lady of kindness, virtue and righteousness"

Evelyn blushed. "Am I so awfully pedantic? How dull."

Briefly, Elwood was mesmerized by her dimpled cheeks, then lingered upon her full lips, but he quickly. "If you equate decency with being dull, then you've been in Society for far too long."

"I'm simply not any of the things you say. I've told more half-truths than anyone. Out of necessity true, but I shan't ever feel at ease with it."

"Needs must, dear Evie. Who amongst us haven't deceived or told a white lie? " Elwood nodded meaningfully towards the other ladies, "For reasons we may never know."

Evelyn followed his gaze. "I can't speak to your sister-in-law, but Lady Ann is all goodness. She's one of the few true friends I have."

"You sure?"

"Do you trust no one?"

"Myself, and you. On certain days, perhaps even Edward. I'd say that's plenty."

Evelyn grabbed his forearm in a firm grip. "There's something you're not telling me. "

"Whatever do you mean?"

"We've been friends our whole lives, Ainsley. I known when you are trying hard to keep something from me. I know you pretend not to know me for good reason. I've sensed there is a marked difference even in Lady Ann's attitude towards me. Since I've been here, there hasn't been a single bit of news-."

Elwood held up a hand to stop her. "Perceptive as ever, dear Evie." Still he hesitated. Then with a resigned sigh, he gave in. "There's talk, Evie. Concerning you and Philip Mallory. That it's caused a chasm between your husband and his kinsman. I'm sure it's just some old biddy having a laugh, and it will soon be forgotten. But I think it best that my relationship with you not complicate matters further, you see?"

Evelyn gave a short, incredulous laugh. "Me? And Philip? That's preposterous. Who would believe such a thing?"

"I don't know. But do take care. The talk-"

"You mean, they all believe it to be true?" Evelyn's cheeks flushed scarlet. "He's only ever been a dear friend to me."

"As I said to you before, you're a source of fascination amongst this lot. Doubly so now that you are Lady Davenport. Take care what you say and do. Eyes and ears everywhere. But what unavoidably controversies you do find yourself in is best ignored"

An unhappy Evelyn clutched at her pendant again for comfort. "Everything was so simple, once."

Elwood shrugged. He cast a quick glance at the other ladies. Assured that they were uninterrupted, he leaned in closer. "That attack on you, some months ago-"

"It was awful, but I've recovered," she replied with some confusion.

"-It's said you were meeting Philip, clandestinely, hence why you were out at night all alone, unescorted."

"Surely not!"

"And why he had been close by. They say Lord Davenport meant to catch you both, only for the two Mallorys to come across your attack."

All color drained from Evelyn's cheeks. Her mouth dropped open but no sound came out. She wobbled a bit. Her knees no longer firm.

"It's just gossip, dear. But I must ask, are you certain you've never seen your attacker before?"

She swallowed hard, trying her best to regain her composure. "Never. Is it so very important? I'm sure it's merely a crime of opportunity."

"Perhaps. But neither I, nor Lord Davenport I believe, feel it's that simple. He has men quietly making inquiries."

"I've been nothing but a nuisance to him."

"Forgive me dearest, but there's no time for self pity. Do you suppose it a coincidence that it was your carriage the villain selected? In that particular place? With such certainty that you travelled alone, unguarded?"

"Whatever do you mean? Surely he intended to rob me."

"It certainly wasn't to have you to tea. Think of it. Granted your coachman was decrepit, but how did he know you would be alone within? He must have been watching you, or had been under orders. Edward feels certain you must have attracted some unsavory attention."

"I-but I haven't done anything. I swear it. I swore I wouldn't when you agreed to help." Evelyn shuddered at the memory of rough, filthy hands grabbing her. Large, stinking body pressed down on hers. How helpless, hopeless she felt. "I'm sure there's no conspiracy to harm me."

Elwood glanced over at the other ladies again. He clasped his hands behind him, his countenance quickly changed. "I must say, Lord Davenport seemed entirely comfortable in the mud. And would you believe he was passing a water bucket with the farm hands rather than shouting orders from his horse. There I was, bailing water alongside him. He makes you eager to obey him, and grateful to serve, doesn't he?"

Then it dawned on her. "He's still out there? Now? It's dark."

"The flames were put out before I went to look after Sir. Richard in my rooms. But there's still much to be done. The great and mighty Lord Davenport, last I saw, was knee-deep in the muck with the rest of them doing God knows what. Now there's a man who could give a farthing for what others think of him." Elwood smiled wryly at what was plainly written across Evelyn's face. "Quite the man your husband."

A deep scarlet crept over Evelyn's cheeks.

Elwood grinned, a bit too brightly. Just a tad forced. "Only a fool would believe any woman would prefer Philip Mallory when she has Lord Davenport to warm her. Listen, we've little time, as I'm certain Lady Ann and my dear sister must be wondering what we're blathering about. Are you still dead set on finding her"

A chill passed over her, making Evelyn shudder and hug herself. "It's not what I want. It's what I must do."

"At the risk of defying your husband, and your brother? Edward will forgive you anything. But from what I know of Lord Davenport, he's not one to be trifled with."

"Need I explain myself again? Is it so unnatural for me to wish to know my mother?"

"At what cost? there must be a very good reason she doesn't wish to be known."

"Is it her wish I wonder? Ainsley, I don't need to remind you why I must have this answer. But, I won't fault you if you want to withdraw your assistance-."

"Never, Evie. You know I'd never refuse you. I simply need you to promise me again you'll leave it entirely to me. Don't expose yourself to needless danger, I beg of you"

Evelyn tilted her chin up with a determined look. "A name. That's all I want. So one day I may tell my own children."

"Then- I must ask for your necklace."

she nearly cried out with glee. "Then, you've found something?"

"Perhaps. Your old nurse did tell you once that pendant holds answers. I swore I won't take such a precious thing from you needlessly"

With fear and hope in her large blue eyes, Evelyn reached for the clasp of the delicate chain. "Do safe guard it well. It's the only thing I have of hers."

*******************************

"At least these sandwiches are edible," Ann said, nibbling on the corner of a triangle. "There's only so much civility one can muster on an empty belly." That's when Ann noticed Evelyn speaking quietly with Mr Elwood. How extraordinary that a man and woman who claim to have never met before had so much to each other.

Bess blinked her large pretty eyes as if waking from a dream. "What do you suppose is keeping Lord Davenport?"

"Saving your father's burning house, I imagine," Ann quipped. "But I do so admire your unsentimental stanc."

Bess didn't hear the remark. "I suppose the house will be quite uninhabitable for some time," she said, sounding ever so slightly hopeful.

wws_wws
wws_wws
168 Followers
123456...8