The Makeup Artist Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As Malia crawled out of bed and began to dress, Kimora strode across the room and picked up her large, pink, ostrich skin designer handbag. "And, by the way, Nikii, I did check out your portfolio. It's pretty good." She paused. "For a rookie."

Kimora winked at me, then she chuckled. Now more relaxed after our tensions had been relieved, we all shared a laugh at her joke.

Calming down, she then got serious. "But, Nikii, on the real? I've been in the fashion industry for a long time. And I've had my makeup done a million times. So trust me when I say that you have some natural talent." She opened her handbag and dug around in it. After a moment, she looked up. "But one thing's missing. You know what it is?"

"More experience?" I said as I finally rose from the bed and slipped on a plush robe.

Kimora smiled. "Yes. But no. Actually, you're missing an important technique: Airbrush makeup," she said as she kept fishing around for something in her oversized handbag. "Keep one thing in mind, Nikii: Every celeb I know wants the newest and the latest. Traditional makeup techniques are fine for a rookie, but I promise you, if you learn how to airbrush, you can triple your rates easily."

My ears perked up at the word "triple."

Kimora finally pulled her pink Swarovski crystal-encrusted BlackBerry out of her handbag, then she turned back to me. "Have you heard of airbrushing?"

I nodded. I'd seen some late-night infomercials about the technique. I'd also heard that makeup artists in Hollywood have been airbrushing their clients for years.

Airbrushing involved pouring a tiny amount of liquid foundation into the reservoir of a small airbrush machine. Once the machine's compressor was turned on, the makeup artist would then activate the airbrush, which would gently spray the foundation across the client's face. The entire process took half the time of normal makeup application, and the coverage from airbrushing was said to be virtually flawless.

Kimora, speaking quickly as she worked her BlackBerry, broke my reverie. "I'm sending a text message to my airbrush machine sales rep, Vivienne Rothschild. I've worked with Viv a long time." Kimora typed furiously for a few seconds. "What's your number, Nikii?"

I gave it to her as she continued typing.

"Ok. It's done," she said as she finished typing. Then she went over to the mirror over the vanity and checked her appearance. Kimora smoothed back her hair, adjusted her clothes, then smiled brilliantly into the mirror. My heart melted at the sight.

She turned back to me. "Ok, Nikii. Viv will give you a call soon. When she does, I want you to set up a consultation." Then she paused. "Well, what I really want you to do is go ahead and purchase a machine. And when you buy one, Viv'll give you a few training sessions."

I nodded as Malia gathered the last of her and Kimora's things and went to stand by the door.

Kimora followed her, then stopped in mid-stride. She thought for a moment. "Listen. I'll tell you what: I'm going to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks for a special event. It's a huge tribute to a mega-superstar. If you're up on airbrushing by then, maybe I can use you for my team? It'll be a huge event, with lots of industry people, so you can learn a lot. Think about it, ok?"

She slung her handbag over her shoulder and went to the door. "Make sure Malia has all your contact info. Text her later if you need to. And if you meet with Viv, she'll give me a call and let me know if you're up to speed. If you're good enough, Malia'll get back to you about the event, capiche?"

"Capiche," I smiled.

Kimora reached for the doorknob. "Oh yeah, as for today? You did well. Very well. But you're new, so you don't get a crack at me just yet. But maybe when you get to L.A....?"

I smiled. Maybe I wouldn't get a taste today, but I knew she was definitely intrigued. "It's your call, Mrs. Simmons. Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet you both. Thanks again!"

She gave me a quick wave; then they were off.

I stood there for a moment, clutching my robe shut, staring at the door.

Then it hit me: I have a shot at styling Kimora in L.A.? From just this one meeting?

"Whoo Hoo!" I shouted as I ran and leapt onto the bed. I rolled around in glee for a moment, tangling myself in the still-wet sheets. As I inhaled Malia's intimate scent, I had to smile. Life was definitely good. Definitely

~~~

"Congratulations, Nikii! Sounds like everything went well!"

Sam and I sat on the bed as she popped open a bottle of Dom Pérignon. I held the thin, delicate champagne flutes as she poured generously.

"I propose a toast," she said as she took her glass. "To the most talented makeup artist in the biz!"

"I'll take that," I laughed as we clinked glasses. "And to you, the most wonderful cousin in the world!"

"That I am," she smiled. We clinked again, then sipped the cool liquid and sat in silence for a few moments. I had showered and was wrapped comfortably in one of the thick, fluffy hotel robes. Sam was still in her work clothes, but relaxed beside me on the bed.

She turned and looked at me. "Cuz," she said, "I'm glad to see you with a smile on your face. A genuine smile. In fact, I haven't seen you this happy since..." She looked down as she trailed off.

I looked up. "Since when?"

"Nevermind."

I looked at her curiously. "No. Go ahead."

She paused. "Since Giovanna."

At the mention of that name, a piercing pain shot through my heart. I suddenly realized that hadn't thought about Giovanna in ages. Since that awful breakup with my African-French beauty, my life had been going quite well.

As I stared at Sam, anger rose in me. Today had been a perfect day. The last few months had been perfect. How dare she bring up--

"Nuh uh," she warned. "I see you thinking. Come on. Let's celebrate." She reached around me, grabbed my glass, refilled it, and handed it to me.

Suddenly fatigued, I declined. "No thanks, Cuz. I'm not in the mood."

She tried to hand me the glass again. "Nikii, please?"

I got out of the bed and headed toward the bathroom. "Sam? I'm tired. I'm going to take a shower and go to bed. Anyway, did you book my flight back to Miami?"

Samantha sighed. "First thing in the morning."

"Thanks. But like I said, I'm exhausted."

"So you're ready to run again," she tossed as I stepped into the bathroom. "You're still not ready to face it, are you?"

My head started to throb as I turned on the bathroom faucet. I splashed cold water on my face and dried off with a towel. "Face what?"

"Face how depressed you've been since Gia. You'd been moping around, and--"

"And what?" I said as I stormed back into the living room. I stood over Sam. "And what?"

Sam jumped up. "And I wanted to help you! Damn, Nikii, I've tried to help you. I've tried to do everything I could to help you! Hell, I even talked to Charlene about you."

Charlene? My best friend and former boss, Charlene? The Charlene who recommended me to Beyonce? Is that how she got all of this started months ago? Did Charlene really spread the fact that I'm gay to all my favorite celebrities? I looked right at Sam. "You talked to her about what?"

She just shook her head.

"Talked to her about what?" I repeated.

"About getting you out to meet someone new."

"And what did she say?"

"She said she'd help. She said she knew just the thing to get you out of your...funk."

My mind swirled at the thought that Charlene had set me up from the beginning. "What the hell are you doing going behind my back?" I growled as I got right in her face. "Sam? Answer me! What else did Charlene say? What else did the two of you cook up!"

Sam quickly backed up and took a seat at on the chaise lounge. "Nothing. I haven't talked to her since then. It's been months. And I only called her 'cuz I was so worried about how depressed you'd been. I didn't mean any harm," she said, her voice softening. "I'm sorry, Cuz."

I folded my arms and just stared at her. The thought that Charlene set me up was too much. "I need to think. I need some time alone."

"Nikii--"

"Please?"

She nodded and went toward the door. "Again, I'm sorry," she said.

"Good night, Sam" I said as I went into the bathroom and closed the door. Struggling to keep my emotions in check, I leaned against the door and listened until Sam had left the suite.

The swirl of emotions inside of me finally let loose, and tears slipped down my face at the thought of Giovanna, the former love of my life.

~~~

"Ring! Ring!"

Groggy, I opened my eyes at the insistent ringing. "What the hell..."

I looked around. I was still on the bathroom floor, wrapped in my robe and curled up into a little ball. "Is that ringing in my head?" I whispered as I stretched my limbs. The ringing was incessant as I struggled to reorient myself to my surroundings.

I suddenly realized that the ringing was coming from my robe. I reached into the pocket and pulled out my cell phone.

"How did that get in there?" I wondered as I checked the display. However, when I saw the programmed name that was attached to the number, I gasped.

It was Krystal.

I quickly answered. "Hello?" I said, breathless.

"Hey, stranger!"

I smiled at the light, cute voice on the other end. Krystal Pennington was my new, but long-lost girlcrush. We met back when I was in Las Vegas styling Christina Milian. We spent a wonderful night just talking, but she was soon on a plane to Japan to style Janet Jackson.

When we first met, I was immediately taken with the slender, toffee-colored beauty. I had to admit that it'd been ages since I was so physically, mentally and emotionally attracted to a woman.

I loved how upfront she was with her love of women. I also loved when she explained how free and noncommittal she could be. She was, in fact, quite liberal with her female love. As we talked that night, I was completely enthralled with this beauty.

However our schedules just hadn't meshed yet.

Last I heard from her was a text message that next day while I was styling Amerie. Since then, I'd been on a week-long job with Nicole Scherzinger and then on an overnight job with Alicia Keys. We'd both been busy, so I wasn't tripping that we hadn't talked. In fact, all my feelings suddenly rushed back and I was ecstatic to hear from her.

"Krystal!" I said as I straightened up and sat with my back against the bathroom door. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, Nikii!" she laughed. "It's so good to hear your voice again! It's been ages!"

I pictured her sweet, sugary, toffee-colored skin and her tight and toned body. My nipples hardened underneath my robe and I knew my attraction to her hadn't waned at all. "I know! But anyway, I'm great." And then, in my excitement, it just slipped out. "And I'm dying to see you."

Suddenly, I grimaced. We'd basically only just met and here I was, acting as if she were already my girlfriend. It was just that I'd connected with her so quickly that I couldn't wait to be around her again.

"Me too. Well, where are you? Back in Miami?"

"No, I'm in New York finishing a consultation with Kimora."

"Kimora?" she squealed. "Kimora Lee Simmons? You go, girl!"

I blushed. "Thanks. But later for that. When can I see you? Even though it hasn't been that long...it's been too long!" I smiled at my lame joke.

Silence. "Well..."

That pause wasn't encouraging as I knew what our business could be like: Long hours on the road, away from family and friends. However, not wanting to appear clingy, I tried another approach. "Nevermind. Where are you?"

She sighed. "Guess?"

"Ummm...I don't know," I laughed. "Surprise me."

"I'm in Spain," she said, her voice low.

Spain? Damn. Keep cool, Nikii. Stay in control. "What's in Spain?" I stuttered. Shit.

"The next leg of Janet's tour."

"Next leg?" I frowned. Breathe, Nikii. "How much longer will you be out of the country?"

She paused. "Well, we're in Spain now, then France and then Italy. Then a whole bunch more European dates after that.."

My stomach dropped at her non-answer. I needed her to be direct. "Which means?"

"Three more months."

As my heart skipped a beat, I realized I was still on the bathroom floor, and the tiles had suddenly turned ice cold. Still holding the phone, I stood up, walked out of the bathroom and climbed onto the bed. I curled into a ball again, trying to get warm, as my mind raced. "Oh really?"

Her voice lowered. "Yeah, really."

Nonchalant always worked for me in situations like this. "Well, you know how this business is. Constant travel. And at a moment's notice. That's the life we have, Krystal. But it's no big deal. We'll just see each other whenever."

It was now her turn to stutter. "No big deal?"

Oh shit. "Krystal..."

"No, Nikii. Besides, I think you're breaking up. We're in Barcelona and the reception here is awful. Anyway, I'm sorry to have bothered you. I guess I should go now."

"Krystal, wait!"

Dial tone.

Shit.

I laid on the bed. What the hell just happened?

In a flash, I realized my cousin was right. Ever since I caught my ex, Giovanna, in a heated lip-lock with another woman a year ago, I was terrified at another heartbreak.

"Gia has you running scared, that's what happened. You're too chicken-shit to tell Krystal just how much you missed her."

While I wasn't quite ready for full-on commitment with her, I suddenly realized that wanted her to be a special part of my life. I also realized that I wanted her to know that.

In total lust and barely thinking, I dialed her back.

She answered on the first ring and my heart nearly broke at her sad voice. "Hello?"

Oh shit. What was I going to say?

Fuck it. I'll just speak from my heart. "Krystal? It's me. Don't hang up. Just hear me out."

Silence.

"Krystal, I'm an idiot. And one day I'll explain why. But for right now, I just wanna see you. And I know we just met, and I know I've been busy and I know you've been busy, but as soon as I heard your voice, I remembered how much I enjoy being around you. And I hope we can keep getting to know each other."

"You have a funny way of showing it," she chuckled. "But, if I'm being real, it's my fault too. I wanted to call you so many times over the past days, but I was a little skittish too. I mean, we just met!"

"I know! But I want to keep going with this. Really."

"Me too. But, on the real, this reception is shit," she laughed. "I can barely hear you."

"No, that's just cause your phone is cheap," I teased.

"Now I heard that, sucker. I got something for your ass!"

As soon as she said it, I visualized her tight, firm ass. Then I visualized me running my tongue over and over the taut skin. Ok, down, girl. "No, but seriously," I said. "Call me later from a landline, will ya?"

"Will do. But it won't be for a day or so. My call time with Janet is in about an hour. First, we go to her press conferences and then all the meet-and-greets. Then it's straight to the arena for the dress rehearsal and then the concert, so I'll be busy all day and into the night."

"No worries. Just call me whenever. No matter what time it is."

"Will do." Then she paused. "And thanks for calling back."

I felt myself growing warm at her soft voice. "Thanks for answering."

"And Nikii?" she giggled.

"Yeah?"

She paused. "Keep it wet for me!"

I remembered the scent of her freshly-showered body as it lay next to me that first night we met. "Baby, you have no idea!"

"Talk to you later, hon! Bye!" Then she was gone.

Hanging up the phone, I smiled. Then I laughed, suddenly feeling light and free.

Giovanna who?

~~~

The next morning, I awoke to the hazy New York sun streaming in the room. Still on a Krystal-high, I quickly I bathed. Then, clad in a fresh white robe, I started on my hair. Using a blow drier and a flat iron, I worked on my dark, shoulder-length hair until it was bone straight. Once done, I applied a small bit of coconut oil to make my tresses shine.

For my makeup, I used soft golden tones on my eyes, a light swipe of a cute, fuschia blush and a generous application of fuschia lipgloss. The deep colors were a perfect compliment to my soft, brown skin. I smiled in the mirror, loving my reflection. I laughed as I noticed the warm glow on my cheeks. Was it me, or was it still my Krystal-high?

I rummaged through my suitcase until I found a cute, bright red tank top, a cropped denim jacket and the matching short, flirty denim skirt. I quickly dressed, all the while, humming Beyonce's "Crazy In Love," one of my favorite tunes.

All of a sudden, just in the middle of my uh-oh dance, I froze. Samantha. Oh shit.

I'd treated her horribly when she was only thinking of what was best for me.

I nearly ran to the desk, sat down and wrote a quick note for her on the hotel stationery. I told her how much I loved her and that I was sorry for being such a bitch. I also promised to invite her to come stay in Miami with me for her next vacation.

Feeling much better, I sealed the envelope and started packing my bags. As I finished, the hotel operator called and informed me that the car service Sam arranged from me was due in an hour. I quickly finished packing, then called for a bellhop.

When he arrived, we went down to the front desk. Sam was nowhere to be found as I walked up. There was, however, a young caramel-colored woman at the desk.

"Ms. Clarke?" she said, her voice light and airy.

"Yes?"

"Your cousin, Ms. Reynolds, has a message for you." She picked up an envelope and handed it to me. "First, she said that your bill's already been taken care of by..." she looked at her computer, "...by Ms. Simmons."

I smiled. How nice.

The clerk continued. "Also, Ms. Reynolds said that she's sorry, but she had a breakfast meeting with Mr. Trump so she couldn't see you off. But she printed out your airline confirmation and you should be all set. She also said she'd call you as soon as she could. And that she hopes you have a good flight."

Damn. Knowing Sam, she could have gotten over it already, but there was a chance that she could still be pissed at me. My stomach sank at not being able to apologize to her in person for my behavior. Dismayed, I handed the clerk my note. "Well, at least just give her this."

Sulking, I turned to leave.

Then the clerk called out to me. "Wait! Ms. Clarke?"

I turned around. "Yes."

"Ms. Reynolds has this for you." She reached underneath the desk pulled out a brown paper bag. "She didn't want you to leave without something to eat. Inside, you'll find a couple of fresh croissants, a fruit cup and a granola bar. Oats and Honey. She said it was your favorite."

I smiled as I took the bag. Sam was feeding me? Then that meant that she still loved me. It meant that all was well.

Thanking the young woman, I followed the bellhop outside to the waiting jet-black Lincoln Town Car. As he took my luggage off his cart, I heard a melodious voice in my ear.

"Hi darling," a seductive voice said from behind me.

I spun around.

Mischa was standing there in a snug, navy-blue chauffeur's uniform, wearing a huge smile on her face.

"You didn't think I'd let you get out of town before seeing me, did you?"

"Mischa!" I exclaimed as I hugged her. "Thanks for coming!"

She gently pinched my hip. "Come on, babe. Let me get your things."

I smiled and stepped to the side. Then I frowned. "But wait. How did you know I needed a ride?"

"I called the hotel this morning on a whim. I said that I was picking you up for your flight, but that I wanted to confirm the time. They gave me your checkout time."

"Stalker," I teased.

She winked as she loaded my bags into the trunk. Then she helped me into the back seat and we took off for the airport. She reached incredible amounts of speed, as she had before, and we arrived at the terminal in no time.