The Man Who Talked to Bees

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In the weeks that followed, they talked often on the phone. They agreed that things had not been good between them since moving to the farm.

Kelly was very happy in her past suburban life. She had everything she wanted since she was a little girl. A handsome husband, a nice house, a good job, friends and plans for children.

Ryan was happy in their past life, too. He had what he left the farm for. An education, a challenging career and a beautiful wife.

The death of Ryan's parents tore that life all to shreds. Kelly lost everything she had wanted. Even her husband, who seemed to change overnight from her ideal to a farm hand. He was married to the farm. Everything he did, everything he talked about had to do with the farm. What few friends they had were associated with the farm.

It didn't look like anything could change that situation. Even if he sold the farm, he would regret it forever and probably resent Kelly for having to do it.

The only solution they could come up with was divorce.

She refused to take half the farm from him, though she was legally entitled to it. She settled for half the proceeds from their personal accounts and nothing from the farm account. She would get 40% of the proceeds if he sold the farm within 10 years. After that it was his free and clear.

*-*-*

When Rotzak returned to the lab, Olivia had a private meeting with him. Before he could say anything, she laid out her conditions. Rotzak acknowledged that his reputation was seriously compromised. Olivia and other women at the university could make things even worse for him.

Olivia asked that the entire project be given to her, with Rotzak simply supervising and advising. His name had to remain on the project to maintain the funding. However, it would be her responsibility and any published results would be under her name with him as secondary. Her terms were non-negotiable. He conceded, and acknowledged she was well qualified to complete the work.

Olivia continued with the field research at Ryan's farm. She brought two students, and Sofie met them there each week. Ryan did his "farm guy stuff", but dropped by frequently to check on the work and to chat.

Ryan thought of Olivia often and considered acting on the feelings he had developed for her. The more he thought about it, though, the more he realized Olivia was never going to settle for being a farm wife for the same reasons that Kelly didn't.

Ryan decided he was done with brainy, intellectual women. He wanted to find a smart, but uncomplicated woman to help him raise a family and run the farm. Someone who saw that as a calling. Finding someone like that would not be easy in this small farm community, but he was always good at finding solutions.

*-*-*

Several months after Kelly left the farm, Olivia pulled up to the farm house to pick up Sofie for the drive up the hill. Usually Sofie's car was there, but she wasn't there waiting. Ryan's truck was there so Olivia knocked on the door to see what he knew. After several minutes, a sleepy eyed shirtless Ryan opened the door.

"Sleeping in are we? I thought farmers were up with the roosters."

"Uhh...well...," he shrugged. "I'm the only rooster here." Sofie appeared behind him rubbing her eyes and wearing the T-shirt he should have been wearing.

"Jesus...OK, both of you need to get your ass in gear. Sofie, we need you up on the hill ready to work."

Olivia walked back to the Expedition to wait for Sofie. She couldn't help smiling to herself. Should have seen that coming. she thought.

A few minutes later, Sofie came bounding out of the house fully dressed. She tore off a piece of her bagel and tossed it high into the air with a practiced movement. Shadow, her name for the resident crow, swooped in to grab it mid air. He clucked approvingly from the eaves inspecting his prize.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Awhile. Weeks."

"I thought that crow hates everyone."

"Shadow? He's a pushover."

"Apparently, so is Ryan."

"Nah, he just knows what he wants. Obviously, that's me."

"And you?"

"I want him. It's the real deal, Olivia."

Olivia softened. "I happy for you, Sofie. Both of you. Let's get to work."

"You're such a romantic, Olivia.

*-*-*-

It wasn't long before Sofie moved into the farmhouse. She continued to work with Olivia on the research project, but the dynamic had changed. Ryan had insisted she take responsibility for the project on behalf of the farm. Anything Olivia needed would go through Sofie. All reports on progress would go to Sofie. Any research decisions involving the farm would be Sofie's.

Ryan saw it as a vital step to making her a partner in the farm and in their life. The same partnership his mom and dad had on the farm. The same partnership his grandparents had on the farm.

*-*-*

Author's Note: I worked in orchards like this as a teen for several years. All my coworkers had been stung by bees at least once. Talking to the bees helped keep me calm so I didn't do anything sudden around them. In five seasons, I was never stung.

Beyond that, the action of the bees in the story has more to do with me reading too much Stephen King than anything. It's more or less plausible, but I never had bees take out a rival for me. They aren't very smart, and they're clumsy flyers.