The New Softballers Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Officer Gibson, I presume?" he said. Then, with the concern, "How's your mom?"

"They upgraded her to satisfactory condition and said she could eat solid foods," Carol said happily. "And her lung is healing nicely."

"Thank God," Roger said. "We're always concerned when one of our own gets taken down. I hear your sister probably saved her life with her EMT training."

"Stephanie did a good job, all right," Carol said warmly. She sat down at Roger's table and leaned in. "Don't tell anybody yet because it's still in the planning stages, but I hear that she may get to go to Emory University Hospital for medical school. The people at the bank were really grateful to her, and apparently some patrons of the bank are helping her get on scholarship."

Roger gasped. "And I thought I was reading good news!"

Carol looked puzzled. "What were you reading?"

Roger pushed his newspaper over to Carol. "Look at the transactions page."

Carol read aloud, slowly. "Tampa Bay Devil Rays – Announced, announced, announced -- Announced the call-up of First Baseman Joey Wilson to the 40-man roster!? Roger, your brother made the big leagues?"

Roger beamed. "It's the Devil Rays, and it's September, but I calculate he'll still make 25 or 30 thousand dollars this month before withholding. That should make his accountant very happy." He grinned. Carol looked puzzled.

"Who's his accountant?"

"The recently named head softball coach at Olympic University in Port Angeles, Washington. You may know her, and you may know her pitching coach."

Carol's eyes widened.

"Sarah ... and Beth? You mean they ..."

"Just got started moving to the Evergreen State. They'll be in place for the spring season. As part of the divorce settlement, Beth and Sarah agreed to invest half of Joey's salary and keep the commissions. Of course, Joey would have to be in the bigs for two or three years before he makes the really big bucks, but as long as he stays on the roster, he could live comfortably and still have plenty for the future. Beth and Sarah will make some money too from their jobs. They sure seem happy together."

"Roger, that's great!" Carol checked herself suddenly. "Can I still call you Roger?"

"Whenever we're off shift. I'd prefer to keep it professional while on duty."

"Well, Officer Wilson, I understand you recently busted a coyote ring almost single-handedly." Illegal immigrants.

Roger smiled. "Yes, thank God. There were at least 20 of them in that bus's baggage compartment. If I hadn't recognized the driver and he hadn't shot me the finger and tried to speed off, I wouldn't have been able to stop him and two of those guys would have died in 15 more minutes. I wasn't really nice in handcuffing him."

"You could have patted him on the fanny and freaked him out; that might have been worse." Carol said it seriously, but with a twinkle in her eye. Roger got a grossed-out look on his face. Then he spoke seriously.

"We haven't seen each other since I went into the Academy. Did college go okay?"

"Okay the first year. Kind of tough the second. I had a boyfriend and we broke up. I know some of what Beth felt. Then Tracy and I hung around for a while. She was always kind of hungry for me and I never took the bait, but then she found my old boyfriend and – would you believe it – they're engaged!"

"Oh, my God," Roger said seriously. "Did you swear off relationships?"

"No, and I'm not gay now," Carol said just as seriously. "But I talked a lot with Lieutenant Wilson and Officer Adams – Aunt Linda and Cousin Sue – and my mom, and they've been supportive. They tell me to just wait for the right person and it will all be worth it."

"It may be at that," Roger said, looking at his coffee cup. Then he stood up. "C'mon. Let's be early for your first roll call. I want to get you started off on the right foot, Officer Gibson."

"Thank you very much, Officer Wilson. And when off duty, please call me Carol."

"It will be a pleasure as long as you let me call you Roger off duty ... and if I can take dinner with your mom and dad once in a while."

"As long as you don't call them legends ... I'd like that."

The two officers left. Not quite hand in hand, but definitely happy.

(The End)