The Poets Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Quantuman
Quantuman
89 Followers

"Did you read my e-mail this morning," Leah finally broke the silence.

"Yes," I said and looked over at her. Leah stared into the shrubbery that surrounded us.

Her sweater hugged her small, perfect breasts accentuating their form.

"Would you like me to mentor you in poetry? You are very talented, Leah."

She snapped her head in my direction.

"Oh, Dr. Warren! Yes, yes, yes!" She erupted in joy. "I was so worried I screwed everything up with that dream business and the stalker stuff." As she turned toward me, her knee touched mine. My heart started to race. A small bolt of electricity shot through me.

"About that dream," I said. She sat back a bit, moved her knee away and became very quiet. "You probably won't believe this, but in defense of dreams, let me say I put a lot of stock in them. Last night, or rather this morning when I woke up, I had almost the exact same dream about you. I was staring into your eyes, and they reflecting the drifting clouds."

I stared at her letting that sink in. She blinked several times looking slightly confused.

"I know that sounds unbelievable," I continued. "Dreams have a way of leading us. Like the threads of destiny that weave in and out of each of us. Portents and omens? What it says to me," I said looking directly into her lovely eyes. "Is that Leah Parsons has been woven into my life for a reason. I can reject that and run away out of fear, or..."

"What would you be afraid of?" She interrupted and cocked her head to the side like a curious puppy.

"What would I be afraid of?" I chuckled but stammered in my response.

"Leah, you are an incredibly beautiful young woman." I deeply blushed and cleared my throat. "My wife has been gone for nearly five years now." I couldn't speak looking at her. I stared at the fountain.

"Even before her death, we weren't intimate for a number of years. I haven't been with a woman for many years. I don't mean to sound presumptuous. Of course, you would never be interested in me as a man. The age difference alone would preclude that. But given those circumstances, it's a little scary for me to explore the deep intimacy into which poetry can take two people. It's not just scary, Leah." I turned and our knees touched again.

"It scars the crap out of me!"

Leah laughed in such a delightful way; it seemed to harmonize with the sounds of the fountain. She reached out and placed her small, delicate hand over mine.

"Dr. Warren," she smiled so sweetly, leaned in and looked me in the eyes.

"I stalked you as a student stalks a professor she wants as her mentor, but all this nonsense about age differences, it's just silly. You are a strong, handsome man. Yes, old enough to be my grand pappy." She laughed at her choice of words.

"I'm twenty-four years old and I haven't been a virgin since I was a teenager. Not that I have had a lot of experience." She blushed profusely. "I really haven't. I know twenty-four doesn't make me a world-wise woman."

She curled her fingers around my hand. My heart pounded in my chest. I was speechless. Where was Harry Hasting when I needed him?

"But," she continued. "I do think you are really cute. Or handsome...well, you know what I mean. I know there are rules about students and facility," she said looking away. "The last thing in the world I would want is to cause trouble for you or your career." She let go of my hand as if some one might see us.

"I would rather you mentor my poetry than anything in the world, but when I'm around you, I just want to...I mean...I just really...l..." Her voice trailed off.

She turned back toward me and looked around to see if anyone was watching. I followed her eyes. I was not only speechless, my head spun and I swooned.

"If it means you won't mentor me..." Again her voce trailed off. I held up my hand to silence her.

I couldn't speak. I tried several times. I opened my mouth, looked at her and closed it. My mouth was dry. I could tell my silence was upsetting her. I know she thought I wasn't taking it very well. I wasn't sure how I was taking it.

"Excuse me for a second, Leah. Don't move." There was a drinking fountain a few feet away, and a got up and wet my mouth. I turned and looked back her. I thought she was about to cry. A look of distress covered her beautiful face. It broke my heart to see her that way, so I smiled broadly.

"I will be happy to be your mentor," I said and bowed deeply. I looked around to make sure no one could hear my next words. We were alone. The look of relief on her face was gratifying.

"About the other stuff. There are two voices in my head. They both say run. One says run away from you as fast as I can; the other says run toward you. And I am scared shitless, Leah." I walked back over to her and sat down.

"Now let's see what the Muse has to say." I tilted my head back and looked at a patch of blue sky. After a couple of minutes of silence, I started in.

"To learn, to teach, to love." I looked at Leah and raised an eye brow.

She smiled and looked up at the sky.

"To laugh, to dance, to touch." She looked back at me and imitated my eye brow arch. We both laughed.

"To abolish fear with action..." And before I could say anything else, she added, "To seize the day with joy."

We sat in silence for a long time. I wanted to weep. I'm not sure why. Finally I turned to her. The look on her face filled my heart with profound love and joy.

"I have a class to teach. I'm not sure how I'll get through it, but I need to go."

"I have to study. There's this mean old lit professor I have a mid-term with soon." She smiled sweetly. I laughed.

"I'll expect some poetry in my in-box every day. It can be brief. It doesn't matter. But I better find one every day."

"Yes, sir. I'll probably crash your server."

"Good by, dear Leah."

"Good by, Dr. Warren."

As I walked away, she called my name. I turned around and Leah ran up to me. She spoke in a very soft voice.

"If no one's around to hear, can I call you Martin?"

I smiled and leaned in to whisper in her ear. "You can call me Marty."

She looked behind me, to the sides and behind herself. There was no one around us. She made a very sudden move and planted a quick kiss on my mouth. It was just a peck.

"Bye, Marty."

She turned and ran off skipping. When she was about thirty feet away, she jumped high, kicked her heals together and cried, "Yahoo!"

I felt like doing the same thing but knew I'd only hurt myself.

Quantuman
Quantuman
89 Followers
12