The Reluctant Duchess Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That is exactly what happened. A procession of mostly minor diplomats and government officials from around the world came by, congratulated her, usually in German of varying quality and accents, but others in English. Except the French consul, of course, who spoke to her in his native language, which was Sophie's worst, but she muddled through. Just as she was getting bored with making the same response to the same expression of best wishes, the band struck up a waltz. She looked for Count Markel, who dutifully was headed her way. She knew the Count was a good man, loyal to the country and her family, but not overly under her mother's sway.

"Großherzogin, will you do me the honor of this dance?" he asked, bowing.

"Of course, Graf Markel." She stood and offered her hand, and they proceeded to the dance floor. Not surprisingly, the Count was a practiced dancer, if a bit stiff due to his age, while Sophie had done little ballroom dancing since she stormed out of lessons when she was 13. They awkwardly danced, before the floor filled with the other guests. After a few minutes, a tall man who appeared to be in his 30's, who Sophie remembered was a member of the Greek consulate in Bern, cut in.

In accented English, he thanked Sophie for the dance, and requested that she consider increasing the Fund's investment in Greek industry. She insisted that this was not a time to discuss such matters, and Aristotle laughed, suggesting that from now on, most of her conversations would be about national matters.

This caused Sophie to stop dancing and extract herself from Aristotle's arms. "Thank you, sir. I need to have a drink." Before he could say anything further, Sophie had turned and rushed toward her seat, and the waiting fresh martini. She took a swig and contemplated what Mr. Papachristos had said, worrying that it was true.

Sophie remained at her seat of honor, as a procession of dignitaries paid their respects between courses. She nibbled at the delicious food, but partook fully of the wines and martinis, until she was feeling little pain. Luckily, Johanna mostly remained nearby to prevent her from doing anything embarrassing. In fact, at a certain point, she pulled the waiter aside and told him to stop bringing Sophie so many drinks, and to bring her some cold water. When he objected, Johanna quietly reminded him that while Sophie might not remember him tomorrow, she would make sure to commit his name to memory. Eventually, Sophie's head cleared enough for her to make a reasonably graceful and gracious exit, returning to her chambers to change into less formal wear for the after party.

*

By the time that Sophie returned for "her" party, in a tight, deep red dress with a slit up the side to show off her legs that had caused some argument with her mother, and led to her agreeing to wear her mother's choice to the first event, it was already in full force. The DJ was blasting music, the lights were flashing, and people were dancing. As she approached, Sophie was glad that she had agreed with Jo's suggestion for an open air dance floor, set in the midst of a huge lawn behind the castle, artfully lit for the evening. In addition to being a stunning location, it prevented it from getting too warm.

Behind the writhing bodies, a white, multi-peaked tent covered a number of tables, with a scattering of guests sitting, drinking and eating. Another benefit of moving the dancing outside was that it was actually possible to carry on a conversation under the tent.

Sophie needed a drink and she needed to dance with a good looking man. Before she could locate the bar, Johanna approached, looking stressed, her dark hair beginning to come astray.

"Everything look OK, Sophie?" she asked, a little nervously. Johanna knew that Sophie didn't care about the first party, but cared very much about this one.

Although she would have told her friend "yes" no matter what, considering the effort that Jo had put into the event, Sophie didn't have to lie, even a little. She turned and hugged her assistant, exclaiming, "It's exactly as I pictured it, Jo. It's perfect."

The slim brunette, dressed herself in a beautiful blue dress, beamed at the compliment, even though she knew that it was richly deserved.

"Thank you. Sophie, you're seated over there," Johanna replied, pointing to the table of honor under the tent.

"I can sit later—I don't want this to be like the last stuffy party. I want to walk around, I want to dance, and I need a drink."

Her assistant looked at Sophie through narrowed eyes. "Are you OK now?"

Sophie began to feel angered at Johanna's apparent attempt to control her alcohol intake, before realizing that Jo always had her best interests in mind. "Yes, Jo. I haven't had anything in a while, and feel fine."

Hearing that, Jo raised her arm with two fingers on her hand extended, and within seconds, a waiter appeared, bowed his head, and offered his tray holding two martinis. Both women took a glass, touched them together briefly, and drank.

"To you, Grand Duchess," Johanna toasted.

"To our great team," Sophie responded. "Now, time to meet and mingle." Johanna nodded, and walked away, to make sure all was well with the catering.

Sophie first spotted a bunch of her Columbia friends dancing as a group on the dance floor. She drained her drink, and as she was considering where to put the glass, the waiter materialized from thin air and took it from her.

"Thank you."

"My pleasure, Grand Duchess," the young man responded, and hurried away with the glass.

She walked toward her college friends, and first made eye contact with Mark, who seemed to be enjoying himself with the group, many of whom he knew from school. As she approached them, they moved aside, while still bouncing to the electronic beat of the music.

Gail Clancy, who had been in a few classes with Sophie, and had always been a good friend, leaned over. Sophie could smell the liquor on her breath as she said, directly into Sophie's ear, "I've never met a Grand Duchess before. Can I touch you?"

Sophie smiled, and grabbed her friend, hugging her tightly, responding in her ear, "Of course you can. I'm the same girl whose hair you held sophomore year when I was hurling into the toilet. I just have a fancy new job."

Gail laughed, squeezed Sophie and backed out of the embrace, and the two women danced together. Within minutes, Sophie was being hugged, kissed and congratulated by the rest of the Columbia contingent, although she gave Mark a somewhat warmer, more passionate kiss than the others. But when she pulled away, she yelled into his ear, "Mark, tonight we're on our own. Feel free to pursue Zoe, or anyone else here, OK?" Mark looked at her with surprise, but shrugged, and turned to dance with another classmate, as Sophie did the same thing.

After a while, Sophie felt exhilarated by the dancing and the music, but needed a break, and another drink. She headed for the edge of the dance floor, not really noticing how the crowd parted in front of her as she passed. She made her way under the tent, only to find her apparently personal waiter there, with a fresh drink. Picking it up, they went through the same ritual of thanks before Sophie took a sip of the powerful liquid.

Before long, Johanna appeared at her side. It looked like she had freshened up a little, and looked more relaxed. "Things seem to be going smoothly, Sophie, right?" Sophie nodded with approval. "They do. Can you have some fun, now, Jo? Where's Albert?"

Johanna smiled. "He's in the kitchen supervising most of the food."

"I didn't realize you had hired him to do that—I was kind of hoping he could be here as a guest so you both could have fun."

"Sophie—you know that there was no way that I could ever just relax with all of the things going on. Plus, we needed to call on every good chef in the country (and some from outside) to pull off these events—and Albert is an excellent chef, and wanted desperately to honor and impress you." Johanna paused before smiling, "Also, you pay very well."

Sophie laughed. "In that case, I better try some of it."

Jo raised her arm again, and a different waiter appeared, with a large tray holding a selection of hors d'oeuvres. He held them as Sophie and Johanna sampled a few.

"They're amazing," Sophie exclaimed, and Jo nodded her assent before dismissing the waiter. "My compliments to the chef, Jo."

"Trust me, Sophie, he's going to experience my true gratitude—after we sleep for a couple of days."

Sophie laughed. "OK, time to mingle again."

Johanna headed off to supervise something, while Sophie wandered off. After chatting briefly with a group of young Klippenburghers, some of whom she knew slightly growing up, she left, as she sensed their unease with being in her presence. That was something she would have to fix if she ended up stuck as Grand Duchess, she realized, but it was a problem for another, less fun, day. She saw a group of her other New York friends, who were mostly older than her college group and were wealthy partiers, dancing while drinking Champagne.

Before going to join them, Sophie noticed a group of people sitting at a table, none of whom she recognized, and assumed that they were the ones her mother invited. Although she had intended on ignoring them, or treating them with disdain, she remembered Johanna's advice. Sophie also realized that her mother would demand a full accounting of her interactions with this group—and knew that Charlotte Marie would be able to verify, or refute, anything she said by contacting them, or their parents, directly. Time to be the gracious host, she figured, and steeled herself for some boring, stilted conversation. Then, it would be time for another drink and more dancing.

As she approached the table, they all stood, being well trained members of once noble families. There were four women, two relatively plain, one very attractive, and one who had a very mischievous look on her pretty face. The four men were uniformly tall, attractive and, except for one with dark hair, blond.

"Hello, I'm Sophie, and I'm happy to see all of you here tonight," she lied, blandly.

"Thank you, Grand Duchess," they all responded in standard German.

"Please, call me Sophie—we're at a party, OK? And please sit."

They all nodded and sat, except for one of the blond men. "Please, Sophie, you sit here. I'm happy to stand."

She nodded and sat down in the empty chair next to the fun looking woman, who introduced herself first as Janine Weidner, and said that they were distant cousins. The dark haired man was Benno Hauffe, the three blond men were Josef Tiedemann, Felix Hetz, and Philip Hippler, who was standing. The attractive woman introduced herself as Antje Loewe, and the other two women were Natali Seppelt and Alina Schumacher. All of them claimed to be distant cousins of Sophie and each other, and thanked her for the introduction. They made small talk for a while, and when there was a lull, Benno asked Antje to dance, and they left, followed quickly by Josef and Alina and Natali and Felix.

"Grand Duch—I mean, Sophie, can I get you a drink?" Philip asked.

"Thank you, Philip. A vodka martini would be great."

"The usual for you, Janine?" She nodded, and Philip hurried toward the bar, leaving the two women alone.

"Are you and Philip a couple?" Sophie asked.

Janine laughed. "No, not exactly. We've known each other for years, and have, at times, succumbed to each other's charms. But certainly nothing exclusive."

Sophie smiled. "Janine, I think you're my kind of woman."

The mischievous glint in Janine's eyes appeared again. "You know, he is quite a talented lover, and well proportioned, if you understand my meaning."

Nodding, Sophie replied, "And are you suggesting...."

"I am. I've noticed a few other men here tonight who I'd like to experience, so if you distract Philip, it will give me an excuse."

She eyed the tall German as he approached, and decided that she'd take her new friend's advice. Standing up as he reached the table, she accepted the offered drink, took a sip, enjoying the burn as it went down her throat and settled in her belly, put down the glass, and took Philip's hand. "Let's dance," she exclaimed.

Sophie noticed him looking at Janine, who responded, "Go, Philip, enjoy our beautiful hostess."

Philip smiled and led Sophie to the dance floor by the hand. She noticed Johanna, watching her with an amused look on her face.

*

Opening her eyes, Sophie felt like crap. Her head hurt, her mouth had a terrible taste, and her body was sore, especially her pussy. Philip had lived up to Janine's praise, in every way, but he was, actually just too big for her, something that Sophie never thought she would say. But it was true, and after a few attempts at actual intercourse, they realized that it wasn't meant to be, although Philip, being a gentleman, got her off with his tongue and fingers, and Sophie reciprocated with her hands, because she didn't want to try to wedge his huge cock into her mouth. They parted on good terms, as Philip slipped out in the early morning hours, heading to the luxury trailer that he was sharing with a few of his tablemates from the party. Sophie had renewed respect for Janine if she was able to have enjoyable sex with Philip, and she promised herself to try to keep in touch with her.

Her phone said that it was 12:15, and she figured it was time to get up. Johanna had arranged two separate informal brunches for any guests willing and able to return for another meal. She was required to make an appearance at the one for the "grownups," before heading over to the younger people's event, which would be less stuffy and formal. Johanna had let slip that she had arranged to have bagels flown in from her favorite shop in New York, and it had been a while since she had enjoyed the perfection of an everything bagel with scallion cream cheese and a slice of fresh tomato.

It took her a while to get out of bed, but after a shower, and brushing her teeth, she felt much better. She dressed casually, but not in anything that would annoy her mother, and headed into the hallway. At that point, the door to Mark's room opened, and he emerged, with Zoe, who was wearing a too-large Columbia t-shirt and baggy sweat pants rolled up at her ankles. Sophie mustered a smile for the couple.

Zoe, looking a little embarrassed, said in Klippenburg German, "Good morning, Grand Duch—I mean, Sophie."

Mark also greeted her in English, and Sophie responded, "Actually, it's afternoon. I hope you enjoyed the party."

Mark replied, "Yeah, Sophie. That was something else. It was a great night." He squeezed Zoe's hand.

"Make sure you thank Johanna. She made it happen. Ready for breakfast?"

"I can't believe that I'm hungry again," Zoe remarked.

Sophie smiled, "You must have worked up an appetite, I guess."

"And did you?" Mark probed.

"To some degree, Mark, I guess I did."

They walked through the art covered castle hallways before Sophie sent her friends off to their brunch, warning them that if there were no everything bagels left when she arrived, there'd be hell to pay. She then walked into the ballroom for the more formal meal.

Not many people were eating when Sophie arrived. She wasn't sure if the guests had headed home, were sleeping in, or had eaten earlier, and she really didn't care about most of the people who had been invited. Of course, her mother was there, looking fresh and perfectly turned out, sitting at a table with Count Markel, both, dressed more formally than the occasion really required. Sophie approached the table, and both her mother and the Count rose, bowing their heads in respect.

"Good morning, Mother, Count Markel. I hope you enjoyed yourself last night."

After sitting down, the Count replied, "It was a wonderful evening, Grand Duchess. I hope you enjoyed yourself."

"Yes, Count. It was fun, and I appreciate all of the work that went into the planning." She smiled at her mother, who deserved some credit for it all, and Sophie felt like throwing her a small bone.

"Thank you, Sophie. There are so many people who put in so much hard work to make the evening a success. Would you join us for some food?"

Sophie sat. "I'll have something small—I'd prefer to spend more time with my friends, especially since many of them will be heading home soon."

Charlotte Marie nodded, either accepting Sophie's decision, or not wanting to make a scene. Sophie didn't care.

A waiter appeared, and Sophie requested a large cup of coffee and two fried eggs with toast, which appeared faster than seemed possible. She drank the restorative coffee, and nibbled at the eggs, while making small talk with her brunch companions about the parties. When she finished, she stood, and Count Markel stood and bowed.

As Sophie headed for the door, she was intercepted by an unfamiliar woman, dressed in a suit, who appeared to be her mother's age.

"Grand Duchess, a moment of your time?" she asked in German.

"Yes?" Sophie responded.

"I'm Greta Frohberg, the State Minister for European Affairs." She reached out her hand, and Sophie shook it. "I'm sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet last night, but I understand why you wanted to get to party with your friends."

"Thanks. Yes, I'm not really comfortable at this sort of formal affair."

"Well, that is sort of what I wanted to mention to you. It is no secret that you have no real interest in your position..." Sophie nodded. "And we understand the implications should you choose to abdicate."

Sophie looked into Frohberg's blue eyes and saw only business, not compassion.

"I've made no decisions, Minster," Sophie responded suspiciously.

"And I am not suggesting that you should. But if you would ever want to discuss it further, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Let me give you a card with my private number, so that you can reach me directly." She handed Sophie a business card, which she put into a pocket in the loose pants that she was wearing.

"Thank you, Minister Frohberg." The older woman bowed slightly and returned to her table. Sophie continued out toward the tent, the brief conversation making her forget her desire for an everything bagel.

There were a surprising number of people eating when Sophie arrived. Maybe this crowd was more interested in a free meal, or was less willing to go searching for an alternative. She knew that the rich New Yorkers had left last night for Monaco, so she didn't expect to see any of them. Surprisingly, as she approached the crowd, some of her Columbia friends began standing and applauding, leading to a standing ovation sweeping through the attendees, which only stopped when Sophie began waving her arms and yelling "Stop, Stop" in English and Klippenberg German.

She noticed that Mark wasn't with the Columbia group, but was sitting with Zoe, Johanna and Albert and they were laughing, so she joined them. Sophie had barely sat down when a waiter appeared with a tray bearing coffee, her bagel, cream cheese, an omelet and a selection of fresh fruit.

"This is perfect. Thank you," she said to the waiter before turning to Johanna. "I can thank you for this, I assume?"

Johanna, who was holding hands with Albert, nodded. "That's my job, right, Sophie?"

"Please, you're off the clock now, Jo. Please enjoy breakfast, at least." They ate and chatted about the evening, including Sophie giving effusive praise to Johanna and Albert for their part in making the evening a huge success.

Sophie noticed Janine eating at a table with the other women that she had been seated with at dinner, but not the men. Explaining that she wanted to speak with another guest, Sophie left her friends and approached the table, holding her coffee cup. Sitting down, she greeted Janine.