The Reluctant Duchess Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, Sophie, I heard that you and Philip were not, let us say, compatible?"

"I see that you don't beat around the bush, as they say in English."

"No. I see no need for that sort of thing. Well, that's too bad, and I'm sorry it wasn't enjoyable for you."

"That's fine, Janine. He was a perfect gentleman, and no hard feelings, I think. And I give you credit for being able to enjoy his particular talent."

Janine took a sip of Champagne. "I'm blessed, I guess," she said, smiling.

"And were you able to find someone to spend the night with?"

"Yes, Sophie. One of your American friends—David."

"He's a sweetheart. We took an art history class together, and he would often send me his notes when I missed class."

"Yes, a very nice guy. Very enthusiastic, like so many Americans, if lacking in finesse."

"We've never been together, so I couldn't say." Sophie sipped her coffee, beginning to feel more awake, and thinking that Mark, for example, had plenty of both finesse and enthusiasm.

Looking around, Janine said to Sophie, "I don't know how you can stand all of this," waving her arms to encompass the entire scene.

"I'm not sure that I can, to be fair. You know that I never expected this, and never, ever wanted it."

"So, why don't you just walk away? Go back to your old life?"

Sophie paused. "It's complicated. There are issues, and pressures from all directions. Honestly, even worse than not wanting to be in the spotlight like this, is my worry that I'm going to fail."

Janine waived her hands. "You're not going to fail. They are not going to let that happen, unless you do something stupid, which I don't see you doing."

"I almost did already. But luckily, my friend Johanna stopped me."

"See—you will be fine. But if you don't want to, then you don't have to. If you are going to be miserable, then just quit."

"You may be right, Janine. I don't know, and have a lot to think about."

"Do what is right for yourself, Sophie. You only get one life, and you should live it the way you want." She took another sip of Champagne.

Sophie realized that some Champagne would be perfect, and turned her head to look for a waiter, who appeared immediately, and then returned with a full bottle of Champagne, which he opened expertly with a small "pop" before pouring some of the bubbling liquid into a glass. After thanking the waiter, Sophie took a big sip.

"You know, Janine, when I first heard about my father and brothers, after the shock and sadness, my first thought was figuring a way out. And I may still try. But since I've been in the position, I'm feeling conflicted."

With a glint of mischief in her eye, Janine responded, "Getting used to people bowing and doing whatever you want, even before you know you want it?"

Sophie was surprised that this relative stranger would be so bold, but then realized that Janine's directness and lack of BS was what attracted her in the first place.

"No, not that, although it can be kind of fun, but it really is the support from the people that has me thinking."

"Well, Sophie, you'd better make your decision soon, before it's too late to change your mind."

Sophie finished her Champagne, refilled the glass and stood up. "Janine, it has been nice to meet you, and you've given me a lot to think about. I hope that we can remain friends, no matter what I decide."

"Of course, Sophie. I'd love that. But we could have much more fun if you weren't Grand Duchess."

"I'm sure you're right. I should go, but enjoy yourself here as long as you want, and if we don't see each other again, have a good trip home."

"Thanks, Sophie, and good luck."

She turned away from the table, and headed back to where Johanna was seated. But before she reached their table, she noticed that Frederic Stolz was sitting alone, looking miserable and picking at some fruit on his plate. She approached the handsome man, and when he noticed her, Stolz leapt to his feet.

"Grand Duchess," he blurted out.

"Please, Frederic, you're off duty. Call me Sophie. And sit."

"Of course, Sophie. Congratulations on a wonderful evening."

Sophie sat across from Frederic—better to be able to see him.

"Thank you, but I can take no credit. Most of that goes to my mother and Johanna, and all of the people who worked so hard."

"Yes, Sophie, of course," he replied distractedly, moving the fruit around his plate with a fork.

"Are you OK, Frederic? You seem unhappy."

He paused before answering. "To be honest, Grand—uh, Sophie, last night Maria and I had a huge fight. She won't pick up her phone or answer my texts, and the only reason I came to eat was in hope that she would be here so that I could apologize." He looked down at his plate, and again moved the fruit around without eating any.

"I'm sure you'll work it out," Sophie said, sympathizing with Frederic, while briefly thinking about the possibilities if he were to be available.

"I hope so, Sophie. I love her completely."

"Can I ask what the fight was about?"

"With all respect, Sophie, that's between Maria and me."

As curious as she was, she respected Frederic's discretion. "That makes sense, Frederic. It's not my business—I was just trying to help, you know, give you a woman's perspective."

"I appreciate that, and I appreciate your friendship, Sophie, but this something that we need to work out ourselves. And we will, I pray, if she will ever talk to me again."

"I'm sure you will, Frederic. You're a fine man, and any woman would be proud to be loved by you."

It seemed that Stolz actually blushed, before saying "Thank you."

"I'll leave you to it, Frederic, and good luck."

As she arose from the table, he stood again, and bowed his head as she left.

Returning to the table where Johanna and the others were sitting, Sophie listened to their chatter for a while, before probing Johanna about Frederic and Maria, but Jo professed ignorance.

During a lull in the conversation, Sophie turned to Johanna and Albert and said, "I would really like to show you my appreciation for all that you did for this event. Do you remember our family lodge in the mountains?"

Jo's eyes lit up, "I remember going there with my mother and your family when we were kids. The skiing was incredible, and it was beautiful in the summer. Why do you ask?"

"I was wondering if you and Albert would like to spend some time there, as my guest, alone. Whenever you want, for as long as you want—no one is using it now."

Jo looked at Albert, who nodded. "That would be incredible, Sophie."

"Just let me know when you want to go, and I'll make arrangements." She smiled. "Actually, to be fair, you'll end up making the arrangements, but I will want the place stocked with all the food and drink that you want, and there'll be staff on hand to make sure you are well taken care of."

Albert laughed, and responded in his deep voice, "That is very generous of you, Sophie. Let me arrange to get some time off, and we will let you know."

"My pleasure, Albert. Although I'll miss having my friend around, I think that you'll enjoy having her around even more.