The Runner and the Swamp Fox

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She helped him when she saw what he was trying to do. He tied the horses in a drainage ditch near the shelter. He built a tiny fire and kept a supply of dry wood at hand. He told her that if she needed to relieve herself she could have some privacy behind a clump of bushes. He told her it was best to do it while she could see because of the snakes.

He smiled as she hurried off. He knew that the shelter would not be waterproof but it did keep the light wind away. He had her sit on a mat of palm fronds covered by a ground cover. He sat beside her. She was shivering already He had one blanket and put it around her. She smiled at him, "Thank you, kind Sir, I think we can share the blanket and stay warmer." She wanted to know his name.

He laughed, "My name is Pat, what is yours?"

"Mary Ann Barton, what is your whole name?"

"Lieutenant Patrick Von Shmitt Murphy Confederate Army, at your service, Ma'am."
"Wow! Where did you get a name like that?"

"The same place everyone gets their names, from my parents. My father is a Murphy and my mother is a German Countess, Countess Heidi Von Shmitt of Prussia."

"That makes you a Count doesn't it?"

"I guess so, but what good is it in this country."

"Did they meet in Europe?"

"No her parents were killed by Indians over near St. Augustine and she survived in the woods for months by eating raw animals she killed with a stick. My father found her and they took her home and gave her a place to live. She claims the two of them fell in love at first sight. They are still madly in love." Pat felt Mary shiver and put his arm around her. "Is that better?"

"Yes that is much warmer."

Pat said, "It is going to get much colder , but first I have some pemmican if you want some, it fills you up and gives you energy to withstand the cold better. You might like it, it takes getting used to. It is only venison meat, smoked and dried. It is mixed with chopped pecan nuts, dried blueberries and cane syrup. I only know one way to eat it. Here put your hand in this bag and scoop out a small amount and roll it in your fingers to make a ball. Put it in your mouth and chew."

He felt her moving for a moment then she whispered, Mmmm! That tastes pretty good. There is something spicy hot in there too."

"Oh! I forgot to mention the dried red pepper flakes."

"I want some more, Did you have some too?"

"No, help yourself, I'll get some later." She ate some more. She snuggled up against his body and he put his arms around her. Much later she whispered, "I am nice and warm now in our nest."

Pat whispered, "I found some rocks by the ditch and put them around our fire. The fire is out now so I moved a few of the hot rocks in with us."

He felt her squeeze his arm and whisper, "You are a very resourceful man, Lieutenant Murphy."

He turned toward her and his lips brushed her forehead. He pulled back.

She looked up, "Thank you for the sweet kiss Patrick."

He dropped his head and felt his lips touch her nose. He felt her little hand move behind his head and pull it down until their lips met. She pressed her tightly closed lips against his. She whispered, "That is for saving my life, I would have frozen to death. I thought Florida was supposed to be hot."

"Most of the time it is hot here but you Yankees brought this cold with you."

"I am not really a Yankee, I was born and raised near Jamestown, Virginia. Then the war started, Daddy is dead set against slavery, so we moved to New York. Momma died there a couple of months ago and I had no where to stay when Daddy got orders to the Carolinas, so I accompanied him. Then he was ordered to Palatka. We were looking for a small house to rent when my mount bolted."

"Hey, I have been to my grandfather's plantation near Jamestown. It's called Murphy's Hundred."

"Really, that is less than five miles from where we lived. I have been there many times. How long were you there?"

"We were there many times, at least once or twice a year for a month or two. My Grandmother owns a steamship line and we would dock her steam Yacht at the big dock there. I had my own rooms there and my own horse and boat. We loved it there between spring and fall. That is when it can be miserable here." He paused for several moments with a finger over her lips. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes, I heard someone talking loudly. Who could it be?"

"I am going to stand up and look around, Pull the blanket and the ground cover back around you. I need to scout those people out. If I don't come back stay hidden until mid morning, then go to where I found you and head up the road until you come to a cross road. That is the Palatka to Hawthorn Road. Palatka is to the right 11 or 12 miles. If you need help, tell anyone you meet you are to engaged to Molly Elkton's Grandson and you need help to get to her. If you see anything with the name Elkton on it you can get help there. She pulled his face to hers, "Thank you Pat, I will not forget that."

It seemed forever to Mary before she heard someone walking towards her. She heard her name whispered. "Pat? Is that you?"

"Yes. Do you have any room in there for me?"

"Oh! Yes, hurry, you must be cold. Who were those people? Did you find out?"

"Yes, they are my unit. I talked with my commanding officer. We agreed that I have no choice but to return you to your father under a flag of truce. You must agree never to reveal to anyone what you learn about our forces. You can tell them nothing. Promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

"Good, I promise to tell no one what I see concerning the Federal troops while under the flag of truce. You have my word on that." As they spoke he was crawling in the nest beside her. She snuggled up to him trying to get him warm. He was enchanted by the way she smelled of violets. Their lips met in a long kiss. His lips parted slightly. Her lips parted too. She felt his tongue touch her lips, her tongue met his, tip to tip. He held her body to his and stopped shivering. She whispered, "I think I saw an Elkton Bank in Palatka. Does that belong to your Grandmother?"

"Yes it does. You will also see an Elkton Trading Post and Steam Ship Lines too! Both sides in this war leave her property alone. She is a very powerful woman. My Grandparents are leaving England soon, he is the Ambassador to England from the Confederate States. My mother runs things when Granny is away so I will hear any news of you very soon. You can send me a letter through the Elkton Bank if you want to."

"Oh! I promise I will write to you. Can you write back the same way?"

"Yes, I promise I will write when I have time. I usually have paper and pencil with me. Ink is often hard to come by."

The sky to the east was getting lighter. Pat put some twigs and a hand full of dried palm fronds in the tiny fire pit from the night before. Mary stood and arranged her clothes, brushing the grass and twigs from her dress. She produced a brush from somewhere and brushed her hair as she watched every move he made. He glanced at her as he brought the horses from where they were tethered for the night. When she was ready they moved out to the road. They saw a group of horsemen coming towards them from the south. A lone horseman rode out ahead while the main force slowed to a walk.

Captain Dickison dismounted and bowed to Mary, "Ma'am, Good Morning." He looked at Pat, "Has she agreed to our terms for returning her to her father?"

"Yes Sir, She understands and agrees totally."

The older man smiled, "Miss Barton, I am J.J. Dickison, at your service. This young man has told me your plight and has requested permission to return you to your father under a flag of truce. May I say that you are in the best of hands. Lieutenant Murphy is a complete gentleman, he is totally honest and is a fearless fighter and my most trusted officer. Please use your influence to send him back to us." He turned and waved. A horseman rode toward them leading another horse.

The Captain said, "Miss Barton, we are going to lend you one of our horses. Your sidesaddle is being changed to the new mount. We will accompany you to the Sweetwater Branch, It is only another four miles. Mr. Murphy will accompany you to the Union Lines outside of Palatka from there."

Pat helped Mary into her saddle. She smiled down at him, "Thank you, Sir." Her smile was the most wonderful thing he had ever seen. He stood staring at her until the Captain cleared his throat. Pat sprang into the saddle of his horse.

The Captain's craggy old face creased into a grin, "Son, don't let this one get away."

Pat smiled back as Mary watched, "I'm working on that, Sir." The unit moved out at a trot, Mary, Pat and the Captain in the lead.

There was a ford across the small creek called Sweetwater Branch. Captain Dickison and his men stopped, sent out scouts and ordered the two young people on their way. When they were well down the road Mary turned to Pat, "Was that the infamous 'Swamp Fox'?"

"Yes, that is the holy terror himself. I am proud to serve with him and Company H of the 2nd Florida Cavalry, he is an amazing man. Remember, you promised not to tell anyone who or what you saw where or when."

"Oh! I couldn't say a thing, that would endanger you too! I will never do that. How long do I have to be silent about what I know?"

"Two days should be sufficient, everyone should know where we were by then. We can be a hundred miles away in two days. We may be attacking at St. Augustine, Cedar Key, or at Tallahassee."

Mary laughed, "Yes, this is known as 'Dixie's Land' in his honor isn't it."

"You are right about that. We wear out a lot of horses. Please don't believe a lot of what you hear, we do not steal or rape or many of the other stories you may hear. I must admit I was sorely tempted last night with you my dear."

Were you really? I am afraid that would not be possible."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't think it would have been rape, but alas, I remain a virgin."

"Do you mean that?"

"Yes I do."

Pat pulled a ring from his little finger of his right hand. He looked at it. He handed it to Mary, "Will you wear this ring as a token of my love for you?"

"On my ring finger?"

"Yes." She slowed her horse to a stop. She removed the little glove from her left hand, "Here, you put it on my finger, just so there is no mistake about where you want it to go."

Pat slipped the ring on her ring finger. He leaned towards her, she put her arms around his neck and he lifted her into his lap. Their lips were locked together, mouths open, tongues playing delightfully. They stayed in their embrace for several minutes. Pat looked down the road, he carefully helped Mary back into her saddle. He rode to the side of the dirt road and cut a long thin branch from a tree beside the road. He found his white handkerchief and tied it to the pole.

He looked at Mary, "I believe I see a Union picket about a mile down the road. Are you ready to go home?'

"No, I want to stay with you."

"I think it is too late for that, after I leave here I

go into battle. In spite of what we do, our losses are very slight, the Captain doesn't lose many men."

Mary began to cry. Pat told her that she needed to stop crying, the Yankee troops might assume he had hurt her and shoot him. She sobbed, then sniffed and stopped. Several Union soldiers rode into the road ahead of them. A Union Officer rode out to meet them.

Mary identified herself and asked that her father be quickly notified that she needed his help. The officer waved several men out to meet them. He wrote on a paper and dispatched the soldier towards Palatka. The Union Lieutenant asked if she were all right. She said she was fine. She told him she had gotten lost. Mary said she had promised that the Confederate Officer would be allowed to return to his own forces if he returned her to the Union Army in Palatka.

Pat glanced down the road and saw a group of horses coming very fast. He leaned toward Mary, "I think your father is almost here." The group of six horsemen pulled to a stop. A large officer rode to Mary and swept her into is arms. She kissed him, he carried her off to the side of the road. After several minutes they walked back.

The Colonel smiled at Pat, "Thank you Sir, from the bottom of my heart. We will honor your parole. My daughter insists that you accompany us to Palatka so we can become better acquainted and reward you with a meal. She says you saved her life in several ways. I owe you everything!"

"Sir, I would be delighted to accompany you and your lovely daughter to Palatka."

The Colonel looked at Pat, "You appear to be a well equipped and your uniform is well tailored and new looking, are you a staff officer?"

"No sir, in two days Miss Mary may inform you of my assignment. She says we may have been neighbors of a sort in Virginia."

The Colonel looked at his daughter. She said, "Daddy, Pat is the grandson of General and Mrs. Sean Murphy, of Murphy's Hundred near Jamestown."

"Well I'll be damned, you must be Pat and Heidi Murphy's son."

"Yes, Sir. My father is somewhere out by Olustee, Mom is in Orange Springs and My Grandfather and mother should be returning from England later in the summer. I told Miss Mary that if she needed anything she could go to any Easton Bank or store and get help. If you cannot find suitable lodging for her here in Palatka she would be welcomed with open arms at our house in Orange Springs, only 25 miles from here. Transportation can be arranged through the Elkton Bank. There are courier boats on Bank business between the bank and Orange Springs every day."

The Colonel looked thoughtful, "That may be a wonderful idea. I know she would be safe there. I have the greatest respect for your family Lieutenant Murphy. Wait! What is that on your finger young lady?"

"Father that is Pat Murphy's ring. I will wear it forever. Unless he changes his mind. His mother gave him this ring. It is my most precious treasure after my momma's rings." The Colonel looked back and forth between them, "Are the two of you serious?"

Pat said, "I put my ring where she asked me to put it after I offered it to her. I think we are serious. We are both virgins and will be that way until we marry, just in case you were wondering."

The grin on the Colonels face got bigger. He smiled at both of them. "The two of you will do well together, I don't think you need it, but you have my blessing."

The two young people kissed.

Colonel Barton said, "Son, my daughter and I will ride with you to see you through our lines."

"Sir, If I may borrow an envelope, a sheet of paper and a pen and ink I would like to write a short note to inform my mother about the situation. The Elkton Bank will deliver it tomorrow."
the Colonel showed Pat to a field desk. He was finished in a few minutes, he showed the note to Mary who handed it to her father. Mary's father said he would see the note got to the bank that afternoon.

They rode with Pat to the outer pickets and he rode off with the spare horse behind him. He almost rode past the Rebel pickets without seeing them. He knew all of them and they sent him on his way. They told him that Captain Dickison was still at the Sweetwater Branch.

Two days later Dickison learned that one thousand Union negro troops, with white officers, were being transferred , to Palatka from their camp at Federal Point, on the other side of the St. Johns River, and about five miles north. Dickison divided his force taking half to a bluff overlooking the river and the docks and sending the other half of his men to hide in a ditch behind the docks where the federal troops were expected to land. Pat was with the men on the bluff. As the black troops were disembarking from the ship, Dickison opened fire with two small cannon, disrupting the operation. The Confederate troops in the ditch opened a deadly fire on the Yankee Troops trying to disembark. The Federal sailors cut the mooring lines and moved the ship out into the river.

The Union artillery began shelling the Rebels on the bluff. Dickison's men moved back to their camp. Company H skirmished with the Union pickets around Palatka for almost six weeks. The constant action kept the Union forces from spreading out and ravishing the countryside. The men were close enough to home that Dickison rotated his men home for one week each when ever possible. When Pat's time came to go home he was greeted at the door by his mother and Mary Barton. Heidi Murphy smiled as her son kissed Mary over and over again.

Heidi had come to be very fond of the girl in the few weeks she had lived there. Mary was very intelligent and was a real help in the reading and classifying the information that flowed into the office from all over the world. At first she had checked Mary's work carefully because she was so much faster than the other girls that worked for Molly Murphy, Heidi had yet to find an error in Mary's work.

After hours Mary plunged right in, helping with the house work. Her favorite thing was to press Heidi to tell stories about Pat. She loved to hear anything about Pat. She wanted to know his favorite things to eat.

She learned to make Pemmican. In telling Mary about what was in the mixture Pat had left a few things out of the mix. He had not mentioned the beef fat that was an essential part as both a binding agent but as a energy builder too. The Blueberries could be used in different ways that gave different flavors. Mary preferred to cook the berries with cane sugar before drying them and cutting down on the syrup. She liked adding more berries too. The kitchen crew liked her way better too. She learned to cook all of Pat's favorite meals. The Cooks came to Heidi and told her that they thought Miss Mary was the sweetest young woman they had ever seen. Heidi had to agree with them.

Mary learned that Heidi loved to shoot, hunt and fish as well as most men. Mary went with Heidi and learned from her. She was a deadly shot with a pistol by the time Pat returned. Heidi gave Mary a Colt's Pocket Model pistol. Mary loved the small pistol. She followed Heidi's example and carried it hidden on her person at all times. Around the house she carried the small revolver in her reticule, a small drawstring hand bag fastened to the belt. If they left the house she carried it in her purse.

Pat discovered her secret weapon almost the second they embraced on this visit home. When Mary ran to him the little pistol swung and caught him on the thigh, when they separated after the long kiss, he rubbed his thigh, "Mary, Dearest, are you carrying an ax in your purse?" Mary covered her mouth with her little hand and giggled, she glanced at Heidi, "No, Sweetheart, it is a sweet little gift from your mother in case you were too happy to see me." Heidi's mouth dropped open, then she giggled helplessly with Mary. Pat stood and watched them laugh. His mother finally pulled him close to them and kissed him soundly.

"Pat, I enjoy Mary more that any girl I have ever met. She is just so much fun to be around. She is very smart AND beautiful too. I love her too."

Pat smiled and held both of Mary's hands, "I love her too Momma. Have the two of you talked about our wedding?"

The women looked at each other. Pat's mother smiled, "Son that is all this girl has talked about since she got here. That, and what will happen on your honeymoon, are all she thinks about. To answer your question we need you to tell us what you want?"

Pat looked from one to the other, he said, "Tomorrow?"

Mary whooped and hugged him tightly, "Daddy will be here to give me to you. Your father and Captain Dickison promise to be here too! Are you sure this is what you want?"

"I want this more than I have ever wanted anything in my whole life, I love you Mary. Now will you please take out whatever the thing in your purse is, before I am too crippled to walk tomorrow?"