The Ruth Scroll

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ruth replied, "Orpah has spoken wisely. She is still young enough to remarry but I am not. I cannot return to my people because they taken my beloved Mahlon from me. I reject my people as surely as I renounced the Moabite gods on the day of my marriage. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. I take an oath before the Invisible God I have chosen and pledge that nothing but death will separate us."

"You know not what you ask, my daughter. Have not the events of yesterday proven to you that it is the lot of the children of Israel to be despised by the nations around them and to suffer such persecution that we are required on a periodic basis to flee our adopted homes? We were slaves in Egypt for many years but we escaped only by the mighty outstretched hand of the LORD. My forefathers were forced to wander in the desert for a generation and were oppressed by the Moabites, the Edomites, the Ammonites and the sons of Amalek. You will assume these burdens upon yourself if you take up the worship of the True God and walk beside me the rest of your life." When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to stay with her, she relented. She gathered together their meager possessions for the long journey back to Bethlehem.

The arduous journey by the shores of the Salt Sea was broken only by the cool shade of the oasis of Ein Gedi. There they took their rest and spent almost all their remaining silver upon a small jar of Ein Gedi perfume and enough food to complete their journey. Upon arrival in Bethlehem, they took up residence in the gates of the town with the lowest classes of the city. Gossip concerning the two women spread quickly. Some pitied the two women whose fortunes had fallen so low but many of the town's yentas rejoiced at Naomi's fall from prosperity. They taunted: "Behold the rags borne by Naomi and that Moabite slut daughter-in-law of hers. Those Moabite fashions are truly hideous and their cloth does not wear long and well. They haven't learned a thing in Moab since our ancestors passed through their land in the time of our Prophet Moses." Others said: "Naomi's humbled state is the will of the LORD, for she is now punished for her unreasonable demands upon her husband's putz." And still other said: "The nerve of that social-climbing Moabite daughter-in-law, trying to marry into an Ephratite clan."

Among the few who took pity upon Naomi and Ruth was Zalman ben Zonah, the moneylender. "I need someone to secure the property your husband pledged to me twenty-five years ago. You may sojourn on the property until either your pledge is redeemed or until I am forced to return your property in the Year of Jubilee. I have more than made the interest due from the sale of produce from your lands so I now show mercy on the widow of Elimelech. I remind you that the principle is still due unto me. If you wish to redeem the property prior to the Year of Jubilee, you must repay me in full, every shekel of what you owe. Now, be gone and let me foreclose on my other debtors."

The two women left the gates of Bethlehem to inspect Naomi's former property, a half-hour's journey outside Bethlehem. Bitterness grew in Naomi's heart as she surveyed the neglected olive trees and undressed figs that were once her beloved Elimelech's pride. She sat on the steps of the now-dilapidated house and began to weep. Ruth sat beside her and comforted Naomi with these words:

"Weep only for our husbands who have gone to rest with their fathers. They cannot be restored to us but we have gained our independence from the charity of strangers. We will clean and repair this house and call it our home. Furthermore, we will harvest whatever these neglected trees will yield and have oil and fruit for nourishment."

With those words of encouragement, Ruth replaced the door upon its hinges and began to sweep the interior of the house. Within days, the two women had made the house habitable and had harvested enough olives and dates to make oil and cakes. Naomi's remaining silver soon became depleted and they could no longer afford to buy meal for in the city market. Naomi fell again into depression, predicting starvation and an unhappy end to their lives.

"Do not fear Mother Naomi. I have seen an abundant field of barley nearby where the harvesters have begun their work. I will go and glean barley in order that we will continue to have bread in our mouths."

So Ruth began her backbreaking work of gathering what little barley she could in the corners of the fields left by the harvesters. The poor of Bethlehem had preceded her by two days to harvest the corners, leaving little behind. Whilst Ruth toiled in the fields, Boaz, the field's owner, was overseeing the harvest accompanied by his trusted manservant, Og the eunuch. He chanced to inspect the field where Ruth toiled in the sun. Upon assurance that his hired help were not slacking, Boaz turned his attention to the gleaners, fearing that they might be stealing him blind.

"Praise the Name of the LORD, Og! See that cute redheaded chick gleaning in my field? I have not seen before such a beauty amongst all the women of Bethlehem. I must talk to her. Do you know who she is?"

Og bowed to his Master. "If it pleases my lord Boaz, she is Ruth of Moab, the widow of Mahlon, a former son of Bethlehem. She lives with her mother-in-law, the widow Naomi, on Naomi's ancestral lands at the whim of Zalman ben Zonah, to whom the lands are pledged. Naomi and Ruth have returned from Moab in such impoverished circumstances that they must scavenge whatever is left on the land after your workers have harvested."

"Naomi is a kinsman of mine and Ruth is family by marriage. May God forbid that one of my own family should be so destitute as to grovel for whatever husks my hirelings have dropped on the ground. Og, you will take Ruth forthwith to a far corner of my field untouched by the harvesters or other gleaners. You will keep her safe from being molested by the Amalekites I have hired to assist with the harvest. When she thirsts, you will bring her water from the jars I have set out for the workers. When the sixth hour is upon us, bring her to me so that she may refresh herself with the workers.

Ruth laboured diligently under the watchful eye of Og. Og explained that he posed no threat because he was the faithful manservant of Boaz who commanded him to keep Ruth under his protection. At the appointed hour, Og brought Ruth to the place where Boaz' cook had prepared the noontime meal. When she sat down with the harvesters, Boaz hurried over and offered her some roasted grain and whispered in her ear "Don't sit with these rude workers in the sun. Sit with me under the tree and share my food."

"My Lord Boaz does honour me too much already with the watchful eye of his trusted manservant and now he proposes to honour me with his own presence. Why does he do this since I am a foreigner from Moab and a mere widow?"

"It is I who should express gratitude because I have heard of your good deeds. You have brought my kinsman Naomi safely back to Bethlehem. I love Naomi as a sister, but it is you, Ruth, who interests me. Why would a woman of Moab journey to a hick town in the hills of Ephratah unless it was out of concern for her mother-in-law? I wish to learn the news of Moab from you and to learn of their customs. The Bethlehem Board of Trade has appointed me to explore the possibilities of exporting our abundant grain to that country. I must learn the nuances of the Moab dialect. Og, bring us some wine for refreshment!"

Having spirited Ruth away from the workers, Boaz relished his private time with his red-headed dish. Boaz rubbed shoulders with Ruth, sitting as close as he could. Of course, their thighs could not help but touch as he reached over to the plate of pita bread Og had placed strategically out of reach. Boaz broke and blessed the bread with a hamotzi prayer. When he handed Ruth her half of the pita, Boaz took extra care to caress the back of her hand. Boldness sprang up in the heart of Boaz. Taking Ruth's hand in his, he guided her hand to the bowl. "This is the manner in which the people of Bethlehem dip the bread in the oil and hyssop. These are the customs of the Ephratites that you must now follow. Another custom is we wash down the bread with wine. Og! Bring another flagon of wine forthwith."

So, Boaz plied Ruth with wine until she ate and drank all she wanted and there was still food and wine left over. As Ruth got up to glean, Boaz packed up the leftovers, saying "These are for you and your mother-in-law. Please greet Naomi in the name of her kinsman, Boaz." When Ruth was safely out of earshot, Boaz ordered his workers: "Even if this Moabite woman gathers among the sheaves, don't try and get rid of her. Rather, pull out some stalks for her from the bundles and leave them for her to pick up. Most of all, don't reproach her or your next job will be forking dung in my stables."

The hired men smirked as they trudged to the fields and discussed how blatantly Boaz' hands were all over the new gleaner. Boaz obviously had the hots for the new gleaner or why else would he favour the redhead over the others? They all agreed that Boaz was a dirty old man. On the other hand, his money was good so it was best to keep quiet about what was going on. So Ruth gleaned in the field until evening. Og assisted Ruth to thresh the barley she had gathered and it amounted to about an ephah. Og accompanied Ruth back to her mother-in-law's home to ensure her safety on her journey. As they walked together, Ruth expressed her curiosity about the large man accompanying her.

"I have spent my midday break with my lord Boaz and he has revealed much of himself. Yet, I know nothing of you, oh Og. You are truly well-spoken and kind. Obviously, you have gained much knowledge and culture. Why do you remain in bondage, working at the beck and call of my lord Boaz?"

"I was once the slave of an Egyptian general in Pharaoh's army. Whilst my master was away on a military campaign, I consented to the entreaties of my master's wife. In truth, isn't a slave obliged to obey his mistress? Thereupon, I obeyed the similar requests of my master's daughters in turn. I would have proceeded along the same lines with the sons except that my mistress heard that her husband was returning in victory and came to the reasonable conclusion that my life was in danger. In gratitude for my services during her husband's absence, my mistress saved my life from being forfeit to my master's wrath. She hid me in the Temple of Amun-Ra until such time as Pharaoh decided to send my master to loot and pillage a neighbouring country. During my period of sequestration, the priests of Amun-Ra advertised for a eunuch to guard the priestesses of Isis. Since there were no volunteers for the position and I was a fugitive, safe only at the mercy of the priests, I had little choice in the matter. So I took up my post as the chief eunuch of the Temple of Isis.

As a servant of the Temple of Isis, the priests of Amun-Ra initiated me into the mysteries of the Egyptian religion and their healing arts. I remained as the temple eunuch until the day my ex-master's next military expedition ended disastrously. The Egyptians were defeated by the dreaded Hyksos who raided the Temple of Isis in our city. Don't get me wrong. I was as dedicated as the next eunuch to protecting the priestesses but an entire army was out there banging on the temple doors. I surrendered along with the priestesses of Isis. Together, we were sold as slaves to the highest bidder, an Amalekite caravan heading north. They peddled the priestesses along the route but they couldn't sell a eunuch such as me at any price. When they finally reached Bethlehem, the Amalekites lost their patience and sold me for almost nothing to Boaz."

"Do you ever miss Egypt, living here in such a primitive land? I have heard that the Egyptians are so sophisticated and their culture is so rich."

"It is far better to be a slave in this primitive land than in cultured Egypt for this reason. Boaz is an adept in his religion of the Invisible God. As a result, Boaz is a most enlightened master. This religion has certain rules regarding the owning of slaves, which do not exist in Egypt. He tells me that his Invisible God keeps reminding him that his own forefathers were once slaves in Egypt as I was. My Lord Boaz treats me with respect and kindness. I get every seventh day off, which is a benefit that neither the Egyptians nor the Amalekites included in their working conditions. When my seven years as his slave are completed, I will remain with Boaz and ask him to teach me the mysteries of the religion of the Invisible God."

By the end of Og's life story, Ruth and Og had reached the door of Naomi's house. Og left Ruth and her ephah of grain on the doorstep and departed in haste for his master's house. Naomi was astonished when she saw how much grain Ruth had gathered. Then Ruth also brought out from her sack the leftovers from Boaz' lunch after she had eaten and drunk enough.

Naomi demanded of Ruth, "This isn't the result of regular everyday gleaning activity. Where did you glean today and what did you do to get this food and drink? Exactly what have you been up to?"


Then Ruth told Naomi all that had befallen her that day and about the one at whose place she had been working. "The name of the man whose field in which I worked today is Boaz. He is the one who plied me with wine and fed me such morsels. He set his manservant Og to watch over me to ensure that I would not be molested. He even said to me, 'Stay with my workers until they finish harvesting all my grain.' It was Boaz' manservant Og who walked with me this evening and kept me safe from harm."

"The LORD's Name be Praised!" Naomi exclaimed. "Boaz is family, somewhere around third or fourth cousin by my quick calculation. Take Boaz' advice and glean only in his fields. I have a feeling that only good for us all will ensue from your meeting today."

So Ruth stayed close to the servant girls of Boaz to glean until the barley harvest was finished. Ruth said, "The harvest of wheat commences and I go to glean wheat. We will have wheat bread to eat and not only this coarse barley bread and fig-cakes."

Whereupon, Naomi said to Ruth, "If we will have wheat bread to eat, I think that we should indulge ourselves completely. I haven't had a morsel of meat since the day we left Beit-Baal-Peor."

"But, mother Naomi, how can we afford meat when we are so destitute? The LORD forbids us to eat of the wild boar that the Philistines or my former countrymen in Moab consume in great quantity. I'm comfortable with that rule because, when I eat pork, it goes right to my hips. Can the Invisible God we have followed to Bethlehem provide kosher meat for our table?"

Dr. Lajeunesse made a note in the margin: "I find that Ruth has provided a more plausible explanation for the laws of kashrut than the usual 'someone in ancient times got sick from eating pork and shellfish.' Women were the queens of the kitchen and they had the power and responsibility to exclude food from their diet that didn't flatter their bodies."

"Yes, He shall provide for us and a clean animal will be driven right into our waiting arms. The Fast of the Day of Atonement is upon us. On that day when my brethren are afflicting themselves and fasting, we shall enjoy a goat such as you have never before eaten. The mother of Orpah gave me a divine recipe for goat on pita."

The Day of Atonement dawned clear and cool so that nothing obstructed the view of the two women hidden in the trees outside the gates of the town. Toward the third hour, the Priest and the Levites emerged with an Ephratite leading two fatted yearling goats. After lengthy prayers that were inaudible to the two women, the Priest produced the sacred Urim and Thummim from the folds of his ephod. He threw the Holy Dice upon the ground and, upon examination of the result, declared "The sacred lot has fallen upon this beast!" The Levites led the sullen goat back through the gates of the town leaving the sole Ephratite with the remaining goat.

The Ephratite waited until the gates of the town closed and then delivered a sharp slap upon the rump of the remaining goat. "Begone to Azazel and take the sins of the people of Bethlehem with you," he shouted after the startled creature. The goat, sensing his fortunate escape from sacrifice, skipped happily to the forest, right into the waiting arms of Naomi and Ruth, as Naomi had prophesied. The slaughter and roasting of the goat took all afternoon so that Ruth and Naomi did not break the Holy Fast ordained by the LORD. Naomi and Ruth's appetites were sated by the meal and the wine of Boaz until both women grew quite mellow. It was then that Ruth confided in her mother-in-law concerning another appetite.

"Mother Naomi, I say this with all respect to your companionship and to the memory of your son and my late husband, Mahlon. However, it is a year since a man has come in unto me. My loins feel an emptiness that only a man can fill. In addition, my childbearing years will soon end and I have not provided you with an heir to your lands. I knew not what I was saying on the day I vowed to follow the LORD, that I would not find a husband. Now I desire once more to take a husband."

"I agree that taking a husband will not nullify your sacred oath to the LORD but what can possibly be your prospects, my daughter. I am a poor widow, my lands are pledged to another and I cannot provide a dowry. Did I not predict that you would never find another husband because of me?"

"I do have prospects, mother Naomi. Whilst gleaning in the fields I have met two men who interest me. One is Og the eunuch, whom you have met. Og is so handsome, so smooth of skin and so cultured and knowledgeable. I feel greatly protected and safe whilst I am in his presence. The other man is Boaz, the master of Og and your kinsman. Even though he is much older than I am, the man is handsome and fit for his years. The waters of lust flow in my loins when he is near. There is more to it than mere lust. Boaz treats me as an equal, unlike the men of Moab, and his kindness to me knows no bounds. Whom do you advise me to choose?"

Naomi just shook her head at her daughter-in-law's naivety. Pureness and innocence posed a handicap at certain times. Naomi explained to the young woman in detail how a eunuch achieved his situation and why Og could never fill the emptiness in her loins. Naomi concluded:

"So you see that Og's master, Boaz, is a much better choice for a woman of childbearing years to pursue. I have a plan that will bring us both what we yearn for. In a week, the wheat harvest will be concluded and the owner of the fields is obliged to throw a party. This is the Festival of the Latter Fruits, known as Sukkoth in my language. The harvesters are obliged to spend the night in the shelters they have built for the harvest. This act honours the memory of the 40 years that my forefathers spent wandering in the desert, resting only in temporary dwellings. On that day, you will not glean in the fields but you will stay at home. I will give you instructions that will provide you with a husband and, at the same time, redeem my land for me."

The entire week, Ruth worked diligently in the fields, bringing home the wheat in the evening. The leftover goat nourished Ruth and filled out the curves in her body, restoring her sleek appearance of her former days. For Ruth had acquired a certain gauntness during her arduous journey to Bethlehem. As Ruth grew ever more desirable in the eyes of Boaz, he persisted in his advances at the noonday meal. Ruth resisted Boaz for the whole week as Naomi, her mentor, advised. Finally, the day of the Festival of Sukkoth dawned. Naomi began her final instructions to Ruth.