The Small Brass Key

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jake60
jake60
1,101 Followers

The phone switched over to a soft rock station while Patrick waited for almost 30 seconds before the investigator answered the phone.

"John Piersall speaking. I understand you're looking for some evidence for a divorce. How can I help you?" The man sounded very businesslike as well, and Patrick immediately proceeded to tell him his story.

"Well, I think my wife is having an affair with a man at the Sheraton Hotel near the airport. I'd like to know if you'd be able to get me some photographic proof, and I'd like to know how much it would cost." Patrick wasn't too sure what he needed to know, or exactly how he would get his request across.

"The Sheraton, you say. We could definitely handle that. Is this going on now? What timeframe are we talking about here?"

Patrick was comfortable now and said, "My wife is there now; she staying until Saturday morning. She's in room 412, and the man she's meeting is in 414; they're connecting rooms. They were there last night as well, but I hadn't decided what I should do until this morning. My wife is attending a series of seminars, and the guy she's seeing came along for the ride." He wondered if the investigator would catch the unintended double entendre.

John Piersall must have caught the joke, as he chuckled before saying, "I'll need a few more details, and I'd like to know what kind of surveillance you would like. First, could you give me their names, and descriptions?"

Patrick described his wife, and offered to send a photo by email if it was required. He had found the firm by locating their web site, but didn't want to waste time corresponding by email. He also told him Anthony's full name and gave him the vague description from his wife's diary.

"This is fairly straightforward, Mr. Dunn. We can get cameras into their rooms this afternoon, and leave them there until the weekend, after they check out. Getting the equipment installed only takes a few minutes, and I just checked my files on the Sheraton. We have a contact there that will let us into the rooms at a flat rate for each entry. If you aren't going to require us to follow them, there won't be an hourly charge for our services. I think a flat fee of $800 will cover it, if all you're after is photographic proof."

"You said cameras. Would it be much cheaper with only one? I just want confirmation that they have been together; in fact, I'd only want to check on them tonight. If there are photos to prove they are spending the night together, I'd like to get them by late tomorrow afternoon." Patrick had not thought about the details and what would be required, and wasn't sure what to ask.

"We don't know which room they will use, so we have to put cameras in both of them. The cost is reasonable, considering the high quality of the equipment we use, and the out-of-pocket expenses we have. Paying a member of the maintenance staff to let us into the two rooms twice, once to install the equipment, and once to remove it, will cost us one hundred dollars."

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking; I've never had to do this before. I assume you'll want payment in advance. I'll make payment by credit card on your web site, if that's OK." Patrick was determined now to just get things arranged. The man he was dealing with sounded like a professional, and he didn't want to have to travel all the way up there to meet him personally.

"Using the web site will be fine. When you fill in the form, use case number 1372A. It will help our accountants keep things straight. As soon as I see your payment, I'll head over to install the cameras. We'll be creating a DVD of whatever we capture on the cameras. I'll need your name and address to forward them to."

It seemed simple to Patrick, but having the DVD mailed to him wouldn't be of much help. "Could you just hang onto the DVD until I contact you? What I need right now are some photos to prove to me that they really are meeting there. I don't want anything explicit, just some photos that make it clear that they are having an affair. You could email them to me tomorrow, and I'll print them out here."

"You're the boss, Mr. Dunn. I can easily take still photos from the video streams. The DVD can stay in your file until you request it."

Patrick supplied his telephone number and made his credit card payment while they were still on the line to each other. With the confirmation of payment made, the investigator promised to get right at the installation of the cameras.

++++++++++

Satisfied with the arrangements he'd made with the private investigator, Patrick finally succumbed to the lack of sleep that he had been enduring. He stretched out on the sofa and was soon asleep. By late afternoon he awoke, somewhat refreshed, but definitely hungry. After eating the warmed over pizza he went back to his chair, unlocked the first of the six completed diaries and began reading. It went much quicker now, because he wasn't rereading anything, nor was he spending a lot of time thinking about the contents.

He had just completed the first volume, and was up to stretch his legs when Glenda phoned just before 10 p.m. He felt surprisingly comfortable as he spoke with her, neither of them giving hints to the other that they were keeping secrets. After he hung up from her call, he wondered if she was finding it as easy to hide her intentions as it was for him. Now that he had made his plans, it was simple for him to do what was necessary. As he thought about it, he wondered if he would ever feel normal again.

Before he started volume two, he went over his plans once more. On Friday, he would have to take care of more of the details, especially by visiting his bank and making financial arrangements. He had already called Anderson Electric and quit his job, and would have to pick up his final check sometime the next afternoon.

++++++++++

It was after one o'clock in the morning when he finally finished the second volume. It took him quite a bit longer to read the second book than the first, because he realized that it was entirely possible, even likely, that while he was seated there reading, Glenda was in bed with Anthony in the Sheraton Hotel. His mind kept drifting from the written pages to the disturbing erotic scenes generated by his imagination.

By this time, Patrick was very tired, and he finally decided to sleep for a few more hours if he could. He knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep in the bed that he and Glenda had always shared, so once again he stretched out on the sofa. Surprisingly, he was able to drift off to sleep, and eventually woke up at seven a.m., feeling refreshed. After a quick breakfast, he resumed reading, starting at the beginning of volume three.

By noon, he had finished the third and fourth volumes, and was able to set the diaries aside while he pursued completion of the items on his to do list.

The first thing he did was visit Anderson Electric to pick up his final check and clear out his locker. The owner, Gus Anderson, tried to convince him to change his mind, as he hated to lose his best worker. Once Patrick had explained a bit of his situation, Gus realized his pleadings would go nowhere, and reluctantly shook Patrick's hand as he wished him the best. He was able to get Patrick's promise to return to Anderson Electric at a future date, if it was possible.

His trip to the bank took a little longer, as he had a lot more paperwork to handle. When he was finally able to leave, it was with a cloth bag containing over $20,000, the full extent of what he could remove from the joint and personal accounts held there. He had hoped for a bit more, but additional funds would have required Glenda's signature. The money he was able to withdraw would simply have to meet his immediate needs.

It was almost four o'clock when he returned home, and the first thing he did was to check his answering machine. There was a message there from Piersall Investigations, and after steeling himself, he dialed the number for the direct line to John Piersall.

"This is John Piersall. How can I help you?"

"This is Patrick Dunn, returning your call. Were you able to place the cameras, and did you get any results from them?"

"Ah, yes, Mr. Dunn. We were able to place the cameras in both rooms yesterday afternoon, and I retrieved the results just after noon today. Both rooms were vacant when we were there, so it was just a very quick in and out operation."

Patrick hesitated before saying, "Was there... was there anything much on the tapes?" He almost held his breath as he waited for John Piersall to reply.

"Well, Patrick, it's never easy for me to say this, but your suspicions have been confirmed. I'm sure we'll have all the evidence you're going to need for a divorce action. The two of them spent the night in your wife's room, and there was repeated sexual activity. I transferred the video files to DVD, and its here for you whenever you want it. You had mentioned wanting three stills from the video, and I have them ready to be emailed to you, if you still want that done."

John's information had brought tears to Patrick's eyes, something that actually surprised him. Despite everything he had read, knowing that there was visual confirmation available to him somehow moved the whole situation from possible fiction to actual fact. "Yes, please, email me the pictures. Thank you very much, Mr. Piersall. If everything is fully paid for, I guess our business is complete."

"Yes, your payment covered the account in full. Are you sure you're all right? Your voice sounds somewhat different from yesterday. I know this kind of situation often leads to extreme emotional pain, and truthfully, I'm a little concerned."

Patrick had regained control of his emotions, but there was definitely an edge to his voice as he said, "I'm fine, thank you. I'll be sure to let you know if there is anything else I require."

"Well, I'm sure your lawyer will want a copy of this DVD, unless you decide to seek a divorce on grounds other than adultery. In any event, we'll keep it on file for one year, or until we get your instructions. You know, there are many of my customers who have told me that therapy can help in situations like this. It's not my area of expertise, but I understand that confirmation like the DVD I have here often takes a toll on the injured party, and that a good therapist can help get you past it all."

"Please don't concern yourself, Mr. Piersall. I know what I need to do to get past this. Thank you for your very professional assistance." Patrick hung up the phone before John Piersall could say anything further. His face was now a mask that hid his emotions, whatever they might be.

He was still sitting at the kitchen table when he heard the signal from his computer that mail had arrived. He quietly walked into the room where the computer was kept, and opened the email from Piersall Investigations. After viewing each of the three attached photos, he sent each to the printer, which he had loaded with eight by ten photo paper. Within a few minutes, he was holding the hardcopy evidence of his wife's infidelity.

As requested, none of the photos showed explicit activity. The first one showed his wife, naked, facing the camera with her eyes closed while Anthony Romano, also naked, stood partially behind her, his erection clearly visible against Glenda's thigh, apparently kissing her neck while he fondled her breasts. Their clothes were scattered across one of the two beds in the room, and since neither bed had the covers pulled back, this photo must have been from before any physical sexual acts had taken place.

The second photo showed both of them very clearly, and Patrick studied it closely to burn the image of Anthony Romano into his mind. The two lovers were each carrying a bath towel, and each was wearing a white cotton robe stenciled with the name of the Sheraton Hotel. Both of their robes were hanging open, and again Anthony was sporting an erection. In this photo, Patrick could easily see that Anthony's erection was slightly larger than his own was.

Their hair was still wet, and it was obvious that they had had a shower, probably together, Patrick imagined. One of the beds had very obviously been used, with the blankets and top sheet in a bundle on the floor. He may have been imagining it, but Patrick thought he could see a sizable wet spot in the middle of the bed.

The third photo showed the two of them lying under the top sheet, which was pulled up as far as their waists. Anthony had one hand stretched beneath the sheet in the direction of Glenda's crotch, while he appeared to be whispering in her ear. One of Glenda's hands seemed to be reaching for his cock, and she appeared to be staring right at the camera, a small smile on her face. This photo bothered Patrick the most, and he wished that John Piersall had substituted an even less graphic photo in its place. The intimacy that it portrayed was sufficient to push Patrick past the point of no return, as far as his emotions were concerned.

After giving each of the photos a last, lingering examination, Patrick placed all three in a brown envelope he had waiting there. He left the envelope on the kitchen table before he returned to the chair in which he had spent most of the last two days and picked up the fifth diary.

+++++++++++

Shortly before midnight, Patrick finished the last two volumes of Glenda's diaries. As he sat there thinking back over the entirety of the six volumes, he realized how closely Glenda had always conformed to the understanding he had of her. There were very few surprises in the pages of those six books. Nowhere did he read anything that suggested she had ever even considered betraying him.

He did learn many little secrets about her, all things that helped him understand situations that had arisen in their past. He knew that she was more insecure than he had realized, as many entries in her diaries showed how much she lacked in self-confidence. One thing that stood out though, was her apparent deep love for him. It made her actions with Anthony even more difficult for Patrick to understand.

The one true surprise that he discovered was that their meeting at that birthday party so many years ago was not by chance. He learned that when someone had casually mentioned that the guest of honor knew Patrick, Glenda had become excited at the prospect of perhaps being given the opportunity to meet him again. It was at her request that he had been invited to the party, and the rest became history.

Reading the two volumes had kept him sufficiently occupied that it wasn't until he had finished reading them that he realized that Glenda hadn't called, and that he was now very hungry. As he fixed himself a sandwich and soft drink, his mind was fully occupied thinking of Glenda and Anthony replaying their roles from the night before. His thoughts managed to keep his mood extremely dark, and reinforced his commitment to the solution he'd already chosen.

Whether it was because of the meal he had eaten just before stretching out on the sofa, or the 8 x 10 pictures of Glenda and Anthony that appeared in his mind every time he closed his eyes, he had a very fitful sleep that night. It was just after seven o'clock in the morning when he gave up trying to get any more rest, and got up to start the day he had been preparing for over the previous two days. He had a lot to do, and he decided to get an early start.

At 8:30 a.m., he made a call to his sole surviving close relative, his brother Samuel. They weren't exactly estranged, but they rarely saw each other beyond the obligatory Christmas visit. It had been only two weeks since his brother, sister in law Mary, and their two children, Sam, who was 12, and Brenda, age 10, had visited. It was obvious to Patrick that his brother was surprised to hear that Patrick intended to drop in that morning for a short visit. Fortunately, Samuel and his family had no other plans.

Patrick managed to keep busy until he arrived at his brother's home just after 10 a.m. Knowing that the two children would be anxious to get back to their activities, Patrick called them into the kitchen, where he was seated at the table with his brother while Mary made a fresh pot of coffee. He knew from their Christmas visit that the family was planning to visit Disney World during the spring break, so he gave each of the children a crisp new $100 bill for spending money. They were excited by the gift, and were generous with their thanks and hugs.

"You didn't need to do that, Patrick," said Samuel, "But it was very nice of you to make their day like that. What's up? Did you win the Powerball lottery?"

Patrick managed a small smile and said, "No, it's nothing like that. My luck has certainly been nothing to brag about. I just felt generous."

The three of them sat around the kitchen table with their coffees, engaged in small talk. Finally, Mary said, "I guess there's no need for me to avoid talking about the big plans that you and Glenda have. She told me about how the two of you are going to try to start a family. I know you're going to love having kids around just as much as we do."

Patrick was quiet for a few moments before he replied, "She told you about that, did she? I guess there aren't too many things that women don't talk to each other about." Just before Mary was going to say more, Patrick continued, "It's hard to say how our plans will work out. Lots of things can get in the way of decisions like that." He effectively changed the subject when he turned to his brother and asked him a couple of questions about his job as a restaurant manager.

A few minutes after the cups of coffee were finished, Patrick stood to leave. "In case I don't see you... before next Christmas, I hope everything goes well for you." He gave his brother's hand a quick shake before turning and giving Mary a brief embrace. "I'll be thinking about you." With that brief remark, he turned and left, the three of them exchanging goodbyes as he walked to his car.

As Patrick drove away, Samuel turned to Mary and said, "I wonder what that was all about? Something seems to be on his mind, but it didn't look like he was anxious to talk about it."

Mary didn't seem to think that there was anything unusual going on as she replied, "Patrick's probably just trying to kill time until Glenda gets back from those courses she signed up for. I seem to remember her saying she'd be gone until tonight." The two of them returned to their home hand in hand, as they discussed their plans for the rest of the day.

++++++++++++

Just before 6 p.m., Glenda Dunn pulled into the driveway of her home. She was a bit surprised to see that Patrick's car was not there, and quickly entered the house by the side door into the kitchen. She had rehearsed her first meeting with her husband after returning home, and was a bit rattled by the fact that he wasn't there, and only silence returned her call as she entered the kitchen.

The fact that she had come home to an empty house wasn't something that she had anticipated. In some ways, she realized that it would be a good thing, as it would allow her to get unpacked and get the clothing in her suitcase into the washing machine. She was already planning to have another shower, unsure that the shower she had had that morning had completely washed away the last traces of Anthony.

As she walked past the kitchen table, she noticed a piece of paper in the center of the table, held down with a saltshaker. Realizing that it must be from Patrick, she picked it up.

Glenda,

Gus called me from the office this morning. He's stuck for a lead hand for a rush job in Centreville, and I agreed to look after it for him. The overtime will be nice. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. Patrick.

Glenda was mildly displeased with the note, even though it would allow her to accomplish everything that she wanted to do before seeing her husband for the first time after her trip. She set the note on the kitchen counter, and took her bag upstairs so that she could get everything into the wash. She had already decided as she walked up the stairs that instead of the shower, she would have a nice, long, hot bath.

jake60
jake60
1,101 Followers