The Spirit of the Cat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna felt Thomas press against her ass, slowly, surely pushing his fingers inside her. "Ahhhh..." she cried out.

Thomas pressed past the tight ring of muscles, pushing his fingers as high and as hard as they would go.

Alanna rocked her hips up and down, trying her best to ride both his cock and his hand at the same time. She felt full. So blessedly full. "Please, please, p lease," she chanted.

Thomas thrust once, twice, three more times, before sending her crashing over the edge. Then his spine bowed. His body convulsed in harsh spasms and he followed along right behind her.

In his head, Thomas' cat roared. It had won the battle. The cat within Alanna rejoiced.

****

The crow watched closely, its head tipped to better see Thomas as he angrily paced the garden. It was not happy. The Dark One had broken the Compact. It did not take such things lightly. Rules existed for a purpose! The crow fluttered its wings, restlessly shifting back and forth on its perch.

"Why does he confront her now? What does he want with her? What does he hope to gain? The vernal equinox is still almost four weeks away." Thomas stopped, running a hand through his hair in agitation.

He raised his eyes to the skies. "I have never questioned what you wanted from me. I have done everything you requested of me, wandering far and wide across this world to protect the People. I have been alone for almost two hundred years." He shook his fists, crying out to the heavens. "I have just found her and you would take her from me now?!?"

The crow could not deny the pain filled cries of the man who had served his masters so well. The night air shimmered as he left his perch and shifted into human form. "Be at ease, Guardian."

Thomas stopped abruptly, turning slowly toward the visitor. He had never seen the man before. His burnished skin, coal black hair and eyes were totally unfamiliar to Thomas. "I do not know you," he growled. "Strangers are not welcome here!" His stance opened and he readied to shift.

The visitor raised a hand, "Do not, Guardian. I pose no threat to you."

Thomas caught a glimmer in his side vision. Moments later Old Man appeared at his side. He took one look at Thomas' visitor and dropped quickly to one knee, "Greetings, Old One."

At least there is one among them who recognizes power. Crow inclined his head in return, "Old Man."

Could not the boy sense the presence of the Ancients? Old Man reached out a hand, pulling Thomas to the ground beside him. "Kneel!" He hissed.

Thomas complied with his mentor's directive, kneeling down beside the Old Man and bowing his head in deference to the stranger.

That these two who had sacrificed so much and gained so little would still be willing to serve the Gods… Crow shook his head in wonder. "You owe me nothing, Guardians." He held out a hand. "Come. Rise up now."

Thomas and the old man stood but maintained a respectful distance.

"How may we serve you, Old One," the old man asked.

How may they serve him? Crow was silent a moment. "You have just come from the Dreamtime, have you not Old Man?"

Old Man nodded. "Yes. The new Guardian had an untimely encounter with the Dark One and I journeyed to the Dreaming to seek answers from my mate."

Crow turned his gaze to Thomas, but kept his words directed to the old man. "And did you find your answers among the spirits in the Dreaming, Old Man?"

Old Woman had revisited the prophecy, but her reading was no different today than it had been five centuries ago. Old Man shook his head. "I found nothing, Old One. Nothing at all."

Crow sighed. "I had hoped..." He shook his head. "It matters not. The Dark One has broken the rules of the Compact. I know not what his purpose is, but it does not bode well for your young Guardian."

Thomas paled. "But, Old One. The prophecy foretold a victory." He held out a hand, stopping just short of touching the ancient standing before him.

"Victory? For whom, Guardian? Do you think only of yourself and your mate? Have you no thought for the People?" Crow's voice grew cold and his icy. "Would you sacrifice all that has been, all that is, all that will be for the sake of one individual? For her?"

In his heart of hearts, Thomas knew he would have great difficulty choosing between the continued health and well-being of the People or that of his beloved mate, and he was ashamed. "Old One, I have traveled alone for so long..." Tears glittered in Thomas' dark eyes and he bowed his head.

"I hear the pain in your words, Guardian. I know the sorrow in your heart. The rules of the Compact have been broken, thus I have the right to interfere. Thus, I will do all that I can to help you prepare her for the upcoming battle."

Crow whirled, preparing to shift. "But mark well my words, Guardian. If I must choose between your mate and the safety of the People, your sorrow will not sway me. I will choose the People." The air blurred and the crow took to the night air once more.

****

Old Man watched Alanna carefully as she paced back and forth in front of the windows. Her mood this night was precarious. "We do not know why the Dark One came to you early, young one. But we think he will wait until the vernal equinox to approach again."

Alanna hated this, the uncertainty of it all. She stopped, turning anxious eyes to the old man. "You think? You're not certain, though?"

Thomas sat near the fire, eyes closed, brandy in hand, miserable to the core of his being. "No, my dearest. We are not certain."

Thomas had been Alanna's rock and her salvation. In the short time they had been together, she had grown to depend on him, to look to him for support. The defeat she heard now in Thomas' voice really bothered her. "Who is this Old One, the one you call Crow? What is he? How do we know we can trust him?"

Old Man's frowned, the motion pulling his wrinkled skin downwards until he looked almost comical. "He is an Ancient, Alanna. A child of the Gods." He folded his gnarled hands in his lap, seeking to convey a sense of calm he did not feel.

A crazy son of the Gods. Oh, wonderful1 That really made Crow a worthy ally. Not! Alanna groaned in frustration. "That's great, guys. Really. But can we trust him? We know the God's are a few light-bulbs short of a chandelier. Why should their off-spring be any different?"

Thomas shook his head morosely, refusing to meet Alanna's gaze. "Nothing is ever certain, Alanna." Nothing. Not life, not friendship, not love. Darkness and despair ate at his soul.

He paused a moment, letting Crow's words drift back across his memory. There was no question in Thomas' mind. He was as certain of that as he was of the sun rising each morning. Crow would send Alanna's soul directly to the Dreamtime if it meant a victory for the People. "We know only what the Old One chooses to tell us."

Thomas would do almost anything to avoid a lie, but he knew Alanna would not care to hear the entire truth. A lie by omission was nevertheless a lie. He crossed his fingers in a habit leftover from childhood. "Crow has told us he will do what he can to see that you are prepared for battle with the Dark One."

Alanna simply could not comprehend why the child of the Gods would take so active an interest in this battle. "Why?" She asked.

"Because, my dear, the Dark One has broken the rules." Crow stated as he appeared in the room, directly behind Alanna.

What was it with these people? Had they never heard of doors? Alanna screamed. "Do not freaking do that!" Angrily, she stomped off to the kitchen.

Crow stared after her, confusion marring his features. He worried the young Guardian was not quite right in her mind. "Are you truly certain that you wish to keep her, boy?"

Thomas tossed back the last of his brandy. "I would not choose to live without her Old One."

CHAPTER NINE

The Chosen One could try the patience of a judge! Crow shook his head in frustration and tried once more. "Listen child and this time hear me, for I shall not repeat this for eternity. In the time before time, the All-Father sent the Sun-Mother out into the world to stir up Life. The Sun-Mother created all that is and laid the path for all that will be."

Crow paused a moment, searching the Guardian's face for signs of comprehension. The young one's face was totally devoid of any expression. Crow wondered if she even heard him. Sighing, he continued. "But the Gods give nothing, not even Life, without a price. Life, they decreed, must be renewed every 500 years. And for Life to come into being, a battle must be waged between Light and Dark. With Light, Life is born to the Earth. Without Light, the Earth cannot produce Life."

Blah, blah, blah. Yawn! This sounded too much like a theology lesson to Alanna. She stared blankly at the Old One. "Umm... So, that means what? Are you saying I'm the Light?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Crow exclaimed. "Finally! You have come to understanding!"

Oh, ha-ha. Like anyone off the street could understand this guy's stories on the first try. Alanna shook her head. "No, not really. I get that I'm the Light; and I know who the Dark One is. But you've still not told me anything about the battle, how to win, or what the heck I have to do with the earth's ability to produce life."

Madness! Utter madness! What were the Gods thinking with this one? Crow slapped a hand to his head. "You make my head ache."

Well, that was too darn bad. Alanna rolled her eyes. "Same goes, buster. You may be some sort of demi-god; but you sure are lousy when it comes to providing explanations."

Oh, dear. The young Guardian's habit of speaking before thinking was going to get her into trouble. How Old Man wished Old Woman was still here to help out with this one. "Guardian," Old Man cautioned softly, "take care with your words."

There were definitely times, like now, when his mate would greatly benefit from a muzzle. Thomas swiftly pulled Alanna down beside him and placed a gentle hand over her mouth. "Shhh, sweeting. The Old One is trying to help you. Now listen to him, please."

"Were Old Woman still among you this would be so much easier." Crow sighed.

Old Man nodded, reflecting that truer words had never been spoken.

"The 'battle' is not so much a physical war as it is a war of the minds, Guardian." Crow said. "The Dark One has little real power beyond shifting forms and the ability to move through time and space. He real weapons, young one, are trickery, intimidation and fear."

A battle of the minds? Alanna's brows drew together. "Okay. So. I'm the Light, we know who the Dark One is, and he's going to try and trick, intimidate or scare me into forfeiting the battle to him. Now, what do you mean by 'earth' and 'bring forth life.'"

The Old One clinched his teeth together so hard his jaw ached. "No. Not what, my dear, who." He stated.

Who? Thomas grew still. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "Old One, do you mean 'Earth' is a person? You are saying Alanna must join with another person, and what? Literally bring forth Life? That's insane! She is my mate. The Gods predestined our union. She cannot join with another." The cat within him roared its displeasure. It too would fight, tooth and claw, to keep its mate.

What was this? Crow had said nothing of the Guardian taking another mate. He had meant only what he said and he had said only what he had meant. "Yes, boy. Exactly."

Exactly? Alanna's green eyes widened. "Oh. Oh, no. No, no, no. You don't mean..." She sat up abruptly, pulling out of Thomas' embrace. "You're saying that in order to win the battle, I have to not only mate with Thomas, but we have to bring forth little Thomases?"

Crow looked at Old Man, confusion apparent on his face. Eh, Crow would never come to understand the workings of man's mind. Their convoluted reasoning simply escaped him. He simply nodded. "Yes. I thought I was rather clear on that point?"

Old Man blinked. "With Light, Life is born to Earth."

Thomas had no idea what to say, or think, or feel. He shook his head, totally at a loss for words.

For the second time since Alanna had been chosen by the Tjurunga, she gave up her hold on reality and simply let the cat take over.

****

The living room closet was warm and dark, as close to a den as the cat could find in this place the Guardian called home. It curled up in the farthest corner, prepared to do battle with those who had threatened its young host.

"Alanna. Alanna, sweeting. Come out now." Thomas called softly.

The great cat's eyes glowed from the deep recesses of closet. 'Do not enter lest you wish to do battle!' It growled menacingly at the Guardian in the doorway.

Frustration etched Thomas' features. He tried ignoring the cat, speaking instead to his mate. "I know you can hear me, Alanna. You need to regain control and shift back."

Thomas put a foot in the doorway, but stepped back quickly when the great cat snarled in challenge.

Thomas turned bewildered eyes to the Old Man, "I am afraid to shift, Old Man. I do not think her cat would accept me now." His expression was pained. He was at a loss on how to help his. "Can you not do something, Old Man? If Alanna retreats any further into her psyche the cat may not allow her to shift back to human form."

The boy was right. Alanna's cat perceived Thomas as a threat and was doing everything in its power to protect the young Guardian from harm. Old Man turned and shooed Thomas away from the door. "Leave us, boy. The Guardian needs time and space to collect herself."

Thomas turned away reluctantly and left the room. Crow followed behind him.

Old Man dropped to sit on the floor just outside the closet, out of reach of claws and teeth. "He is leaving, Great One" He lowered his head, bringing his body close to the floor. "You know me of old, Great One. You know I am no threat to you or yours."

The great cat huffed, tipping its head to look at the old man. 'She feels pain, Guardian.'

Old Man nodded, careful to keep his stance submissive. "She is but a cub, Great One. She struggles still to understand the way of the world, our world. It has been difficult. The burden she carries within her is very heavy."

The great cat blinked, its green-gold eyes flickering in the darkness. 'She is confused, fearful. She wishes only to hide.'

Cats did not reason the same as man. The Great One saw only the need to protect its host. It would need reminded about other duties. Old Man sighed, regretting that he must pit the Tjurunga against its host. "You carry the prophecy within you, Great One. You know the part she must play. Can you not help her come to terms with this?"

The cat's eyes took on a far-away look. 'I remember the prophecy.' It turned its massive head towards the Guardian. 'I will try to help her remember too, Old Man.'

The Old Man bowed his head respectfully. "That is all we can hope for, Great One."

The Old Man sat, still and silent for hours, while the Tjurunga bargained with its host. He hoped, for the good of all, that the great cat could help its host understand.

He agreed with Crow. Everything would be so much simpler if Old Woman were still with them. The Old Man's head nodded and he dozed a while

****

A hand reached out to Old Man from the dark recesses of the Dreamtime. Old Woman smiled gently. "I have been expecting you, Old Man. I thought perhaps you would return sooner than this."

Old Man clasped her hand tightly. Sorrow lifted and he knew joy once more. "Our souls are tied together for eternity, Old Woman. You cannot rid yourself of me so easily."

Old Woman's eyes filled with light. She laughed softly. "I would not dream to try, Old Man."

Old Man kissed her palm. "I know not what to do for her, Old Woman." He sighed. "She fears her destiny."

Old Woman closed her fist to hold his kiss. "It is a great burden she carries, Old Man." She shook her head. "Should she choose to have a child, she insures the continuation of life. Should she deny the opportunity, all of life will cease. It is almost too much for one so young."

Old Man stared into his mate's eyes. "Is the responsibility the Gods have given her truly so terrible?"

Old Woman sighed. "Is it so difficult to understand, my love? It is not so much the responsibility she fears, I believe, it is the total lack of choice. The Gods, in their infinite wisdom, have removed her free will. She did not choose to carry the Tjurunga, to act as Guardian to the People until the day she dies. She did not choose the man to which her soul will be mated for all of eternity. And certainly she did not choose to be the Light of the world." She laid a hand on Old Man's cheek. "The entire weight of the world literally rests on the shoulders of this woman who is truly little more than a child herself."

Old Man closed his eyes wearily, his craggy features dissolving into a frown. "How can I help her, Old Woman? How can I help her move through this?"

The man was a challenge, but Old Woman loved him deeply. "You are as old as the world, Old Man. Have you learned nothing of women?" She leaned in and kissed him.

Old Man bowed his head, humbled before the woman he had loved in life and would love throughout life eternal. "Should I live until the end of time, Old Woman, I would still not fully understand women."

She laughed. To think, it only took him a few millennium to acknowledge his lack of understanding. Old Woman rose, pulling the old man with her. "It is time for you to return to the world, Old Man. She needs you now."

****

Crow tapped lightly on Old Man's shoulder, startling him into wakefulness. The old man placed a finger to his lips, pointing into the closet.

"No need for silence, Old Man." Alanna raised her head. "I'm here."

Old Man nodded.

"Why is it always the woman's job to save the day?" She queried.

Old Man looked to Crow. What could he say to this young woman? What would she understand?

Crow understood the old man's dilemma and carefully considered the Guardian's question in silence. He nodded to Old Man, yes, perhaps he could find some common ground. "Were you raised in the Faith, young one?" He queried.

Alanna shrugged. "We went to church Easter and Christmas, but religion wasn't a big thing for my family. I'm a bit of a poly-theist these days."

Poly-what? Crow shook his head. It mattered not. "Do you recall, perhaps, the Christian story of Joseph and Mary?" He asked.

Alanna rolled her eyes. Well, duh! Anyone who spent even one Christmas at church knew that story. "Sure."

Crow allowed his inner eye to turn back to that far away time. "The world in that time was in turmoil. The Gods had sent messenger after messenger out amongst the People, yet no one listened. The time for the battle between Light and Dark was approaching as the Compact decrees it must every 500 years; but the Gods were hard-pressed to find a suitable Guardian among the People."

Crow moved past Old Man to lean casually against the door frame, taking care not to appear threatening to the still wary Guardian. "One of the Ancients went out among the People, searching their souls one-by-one for a suitable host. It took much time, but eventually he came across a man of great faith, one who still held hopes and dreams for his people deep within his soul. The Ancient consulted with the Gods and it was decided. The man, whom your Christian history calls Joseph, would carry the Tjurunga for his generation. He was destined by the Gods to be the Light and it would be his duty to find his mate and bring forth Life."

Joseph, husband to Mary and father of Jesus, was a Guardian? Alanna laughed out loud. Every story requires the reader or listener to suspend his or her sense of disbelief for a time. But this one really tested the boundaries. "Oh, that's just too funny. You're kidding, right?"

1...345678