The Spirit of the Cat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna slept on, her body restless from the torment caused by the Dark One's venom. Her breathing grew heavy, each breath in and out painful and labored. Old Woman knew, deep within her heart, that this one's survival and the survival of her child depended entirely upon the whim of the Gods. So many lives hung in the balance this time. She only hoped the Gods would be merciful.

Old Woman looked up from her charge when she saw shadows cross the sands. In the distance, three figures approached. She hoped beyond hope that these were not the Fates coming to reclaim the Guardian's soul.

Thomas raced across the sands, falling to his knees beside his wounded mate. "How is she, Old Woman?"

Old Woman shook her head. The boy's eyes held so much sadness. "She lives, Thomas. Barely." She had promised Thomas that his mate would still be here when he returned. Old Woman sighed. She had managed that, but not much more.

Thomas' tears wrenched Old Woman's heart. He felt so much pain.

He reached out to take Alanna's hand, folding it gently into his own. "And the child?" He murmured. He raised dark eyes to hers. "Does it still live?"

Old Woman took his hand and laid it softly on his mate. "Here, Guardian. Invoke your cat's senses so that you may see for yourself how she fares."

Thomas focused, calling his cats essence, urging it to join with Alanna's. His spirit surged, moving swiftly across the boundaries of life. In his mind's eye, Thomas could see the large spark that was Alanna. It was faint, but still present. He moved within her, searching. There! He had found it, the spark of new life tucked safely in the warmth of its mother.

Thomas sent waves of strength and comfort outwards along the mystical link, bathing both Alanna and the babe in his love. 'Live, sweet ones.' Thomas pleaded silently. 'I dare not lose you. You are my my world, without you I am lost.'

A small soul reached out, bathing him in warmth and comfort. 'I live,' it whispered.

Alanna's soul echoed behind it, 'I live, Thomas. I live.'

Thomas wept until he had no more tears, and then he slept.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Alanna awoke in her own bed. In her own condo. Naked as the day she was born. "What happened? How did I get here?" She sat up quickly and shoved a hand through her hair to push it out of her eyes. Wow! Talk about dejavu.

A hand reached out, pulling her back into the warm, soft nest of linens. "Rest, sweet one."

Alanna turned, snuggling her head into the pelt on her mate's chest. "Thomas!"

Thomas wrapped her tightly in his arms, holding her to his heart. "I am here, pet."

"I had the worst dream, Thomas!" Alanna exclaimed. "I dreamed that the Dark One attacked me. I called for help and you wouldn't come. And then..."

Thomas placed a finger over her lips, shushing her. "I couldn't come to you, Alanna. The Dark One had bespelled me, trapping me in the Dreamtime."

Alanna jerked backwards. "What? Are you saying it wasn't a dream? That the Dark One really...?" She sat up, threw back the covers and looked down at her leg. Yes, there they were. High on her thigh. Two neat incisions. She turned confused eyes to her mate, "I was bitten? Really bitten? But how... I mean, if that was real, then..." Her eyes widened. "Oh, my Gods!" She grabbed Thomas' hands. "The baby! Thomas, tell me please. Did I lose the baby?"

Thomas' face broke into a joyous smile. "No, my love. Our child lies within you, safe and warm." Reaching out, he took her hand and laid it on her belly. "See? Here. You can feel her spirit within you if you concentrate." Pride filled his eyes. "Her soul is very strong."

Alanna allowed the essence of her cat to rise to the surface. Borrowing power from the Other, she reached out with her mind to find the spark that lay within her. "Oh!" Her eyes grew wide. "Oh, Thomas! She's alive." Tears filled her eyes. "She survived!"

Thomas could see the wheels turning in his mate's head. He knew she preferred him to stay out of her head, but he could not allow her to worry now. Not now. "Yes, my love. You are both very much alive; and you have no need to worry about any further battles with the Dark One."

Alanna was confused, "I don't understand. The Compact..."

Thomas pulled her to him gently, folding her warmth into his. Finally allowing himself to enjoy the pleasure of her skin. He stroked a hand down her back. "Ah, yes. The Compact. I'm afraid Sun-Mother was most displeased that the Dark One broke the rules and placed your mortal existence in danger. As you are so fond of saying, 'all hell broke loose.' Sun-Mother forced the Dark One to forfeit the battle and then destroyed the Compact for all time." He smiled gleefully. "The Dark One no longer wields power in the world."

Alanna was glad, but... "What of the People?"

The Gods had actually made things both simpler and more complicated at the same time. "Ah," Thomas sighed. "The Gods have decided that perhaps the People can take care of themselves for a time. The Guardians will still keep watch, but we will no longer actively interfere in the lives of others." He smiled, "Well, except in the lives of those chosen as new Guardians."

Alanna's teeth worried her bottom lip. "And the Dark One? You said he no longer wields power in the world, but you didn't say he'd been banished or anything."

Thomas stroked the soft line from Alanna's brow to her shoulder. "No, unfortunately the Dark One is still with us." His thumb grazed her lip, soothing where she'd bit at it. "The Gods took pity on the evil one. They granted him mortality. When his mortal years are spent, his time in the world will end and his soul will be returned to the Dreamtime—just as he wanted."

The needing was beginning to rise. Alanna felt the first twinges of heat creep upward from her center. She fought to tamp it down. There were still things she needed to know. "Is he a danger, Thomas? He kept harping on and on about my being his destiny. Will we have to worry and watch out for him the rest of our lives?"

He drew her face down to his, silencing her for a moment with his tongue, teeth and lips. "No man is a danger to me or mine, Alanna." He grasped her hips, raising her above him."

Alanna could feel the hot, hard head of his cock resting against her. "Thomas," she protested.

Thomas rocked upwards, sheathing himself deeply inside her. "Ahh... The time for talk, my dear one, is over." He rocked against her, setting a furious rhythm. "It's time for action."

"Umm..." Oh, Gods! Her mate had a point. A damn fine one at that. Alanna caught the rhythm and dedicated herself to the ride.

Outside the French doors, a crow watched. The Guardians were safe, for a time; and all was well with the world once more. It bobbed its head twice in satisfaction, then flapped its great wings and took to the air.

EPILOGUE

In the time before time, that space where all that was, all that is and all that will be come together, the old ones sat, guarding the well of the Others.

Old Woman stared intently at the swirling waters in the well. The nexus of life was churning, colors flowing wildly across its surface.

Old Man leaned forward intently. "Well? What do you see woman?"

Old Woman smiled, her eyes softening with joy and love. "She has arrived."

"And? She is safe? Healthy? Whole?" Old Man raised a bushy brow impatiently.

Old Woman nodded. The babe was indeed safe, having been born at home after a very short labor. She came complete with ten fingers, ten toes, and—very much to the surprise of Alanna and Thomas—a tiny birthmark on her pink bottom shaped exactly like the stone totems her mother and father wore. "She carries the totem of the Tjurunga within her, Old Man."

Old Man stared for a moment, his eyes blurring as he turned his focus inwards. The Gods spoke of a time when the wolf would lay down with the lambs and the leopard and lion lay down together. The Dark One walked as one with the People now. Thomas and Alanna had mated, joining their souls together for eternity. And now...

"Yes, Old Man. And now a little child shall lead them."

And so it all began...

1...345678