The Spy Who Loved Me Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will shortly be beginning our descent to Dubai. We'll be approaching from the west, so those of you with windows on the left hand side of the plane will get the best view of the city."

Tim grinned. "We can do better than that – the plane has cameras, and we can put the views on the screen."

We strapped ourselves in, and as the plane descended, we watched the city on the screen. "Look, there's the Burj," Tim pointed. "And the islands in the shape of the world."

"Wow," I said. "It must have cost a fortune."

Tim nodded. We felt the wheels touch the runway, and the plane came to a smooth halt.

There was a tap at the door. "If you're ready to disembark, sir, madam."

We walked back down the stairs to the exit, again thanking the cabin crew. A wide corridor with glass sides led to the baggage area, and I looked curiously from side to side. "I don't see any camels."

"Well," said Tim. "If I get the chance, I'll arrange for you to see some."

We reached the carousels, and Tim quickly retrieved our cases, finding a trolley. We walked out to the street, and I felt the residual heat rising from the tarmac.

"It must really be hot in the day," I said.

Tim nodded. He flagged a taxi, and we settled back for the short drive to the hotel.

The taxi pulled up outside a stunning glass-fronted building on the waterfront. "The Hyatt," I read. "Wow, you're really spoiling us, Tom."

He smiled and raised his eyebrows at my use of his cover name. "The travel agent seems to have a sixth sense for these things. She said she'd managed to get us a suite at a very reasonable price."

I grinned, thinking of Beth back at the Farm on her laptop with an agency credit card.

Even at this late hour, a porter was on hand to take our luggage, and Tim took my hand as we walked into the reception area. Again I wasn't entirely surprised when he addressed the receptionist in what was obviously fluent Arabic, and she smiled, replying in kind.

We walked over to the lifts, and Tim pointed. "Express lift – penthouse floor only."

The lift accelerated smoothly, and as the doors opened again seconds later I gasped. In front of us was a large area paved in marble, with fountains, seating areas, and exotic plants. The floor-to-ceiling windows gave a view out to sea, and the lights outlining the offshore islands twinkled.

Tim grinned at my reaction. "Pretty impressive, huh."

We walked down a short corridor, and Tim used the keycard to open the door at the end. After the lounge area, I was prepared to be impressed, but I looked round our suite with my mouth open. To the right was a small pool, with a hot tub beside it. In front of the windows was a lounge area barely smaller than the one we'd just passed through, and to the left through an arch I saw a bedroom, with a dressing room beyond.

"It seems a pity just to sleep," I said, "but all this travelling is starting to catch up with me."

Tim nodded. "Like I said, no rush in the morning."

Our cases were already on the bed, and I found the t-shirt I'd worn the previous night, already a continent away. I changed quickly, then watched as Tim again pulled on his shorts and t-shirt.

"Tim?" I said hesitantly.

"Mm?"

"I know it's a huge bed, but I want you close to me... Please?"

He smiled. "Of course."

I got in, lying on my side, and I felt Tim slide up behind me, wrapping his arms around me.

"Mm," I said softly. "Just what I had in mind."

***

When I woke, Tim was still with me, and I wrapped my arms over his for a moment, then stretched, rolling away from him and propping myself up on my elbow. The sun streaming in through the windows was already bright, and I glanced around to see if I could find a clock.

Tim opened his eyes, seemingly instantly awake. "It's just after ten."

"How do you do that?" I asked.

"All part of the training," he shrugged.

He sat up. "I think we'd enjoy breakfast up here." He picked up the telephone handset, and spoke briefly.

"All sorted," he said. "I told them to bring everything – we'll see what that turns out to be."

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door, and a waiter wheeled in a trolley, unloading it onto a table at one side of the lounge area. He left, and Tim held a chair for me to sit down, then started to lift the lids on the various dishes.

"OK," he said. "We really have got everything – bacon, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, kidneys, two kinds of sausages..."

I grinned. "Let me at it." I had to pinch myself as I ate, looking out over the sparkling blue sea, the islands now fully visible.

Tim watched my face. "You seem really happy."

I nodded. "I know we can't be certain what comes next, so I'm determined to make the most of this... of our time together."

He got up from his seat and stood behind me, wrapping his arms round me. "We'll get through this."

When we'd finished breakfast, Tim said, "I need to make a few calls. Why don't you try the pool?"

Again I silently thanked Beth for remembering a bikini in the clothes she'd brought for me. The Farm seemed a million miles away as I changed, and slid into the pleasantly warm water.

Tim put on trunks, and sat by the pool with his phone. Most of his calls were in Arabic, but I caught the end of one conversation as I swam back towards him.

"At the oasis at Liwa," he said. "Thank you very much."

He put the phone down, and stood, executing a flawless dive into the pool and surfacing next to me.

I rested my arms on his shoulders. "What did you discover?"

He raised his eyebrows. "You're going to get your wish."

I looked at him blankly for a moment, and he said, "Camels!"

"Oh!" I said, grinning. "Tell me."

"The sheikh we need to speak to is out of town, but his office said we should drive down to the oasis where he's staying. It's a beautiful place – lakes, birds, other wildlife – and we'll get to see how they really live."

"Wow," I said. "I suppose I'd better get ready."

I hesitated. "What should I wear? I know they're sensitive about the way women dress."

Tim thought for a moment. "If you have a blouse with long sleeves, not low at the neck, and a long skirt, you'll be fine. And if you have a scarf to cover your hair, that's a good idea."

I went through to the bedroom and sifted through the clothes in my suitcase, then dressed as closely as I could to what Tim had suggested.

When I returned to the pool, he looked up. "Wow. That's perfect."

He went to dress, returning in a light-coloured suit. "Think we're ready."

"Are we coming back here?" I asked.

"I honestly don't know," replied Tim. "We might be invited to stay, it depends on how we get on with the sheikh. I'll keep the suite anyway."

We went down to the lobby, and Tim spoke to one of the reception team, obviously arranging our transport. A few minutes later, a large four-by-four drew up outside the hotel.

"That's ours," said Tim. We walked out into the blazing sun, already hotter than any summer day I could remember, and I was glad when Tim helped me up in to the vehicle and closed the door, the air conditioning quickly bringing the temperature back down.

The driver pulled away from the kerb, joining the southbound traffic smoothly, and Tim pointed out various landmarks. Soon we were in the real desert, the road a sand-blown strip.

I moved to settle against Tim's shoulder, then hesitated. "Is this OK?"

He put his arm round my shoulder. "We're fine here, but yes, when we meet the sheikh, there are a few things you should be aware of that they'll really appreciate."

I shifted closer to him and closed my eyes. "Tell me."

"Well, it's best if we don't touch in public, and don't try to shake anyone's hand unless they extend theirs first."

He chuckled, and I opened my eyes to look at his face. "What?"

"If one of the men takes hold of my hand, don't worry – it's a gesture of friendship here."

I nodded. "OK. What else?"

"If we're invited to stay for a meal, be careful how you sit – imagine you're getting out of a limousine at the Oscars with the paparazzi all around."

"I hear what you're saying."

"Eat with your right hand only. Keep your feet tucked in – it's considered very rude to let anyone see the soles of your feet. And try not to touch your nose, even if it itches."

I listened carefully, trying to digest all this information. "OK."

"Apart from that, just keep your eyes open, be sensitive, and I'll do my best to let you know what's going on."

We drove on, and after a couple of hours Tim spoke briefly to the driver.

"I asked him if we can stop for something to eat," he explained. "There's a town up ahead, sort of a gateway to the dunes and the oases."

I saw buildings up ahead, and the driver drew the car to a stop. "You wait here," he said.

A few minutes later he returned with a bag, and handed us parcels wrapped in paper, obviously from a local stall.

I unwrapped mine, finding a selection of small kebabs, what looked like samosas, some dips.

"This is amazing," I said with my mouth full.

Tim grinned. "If you think this is good, wait till you see the food if we get invited to stay."

We finished our scratch meal, and drove on. Suddenly I tapped Tim's shoulder and pointed. A small flock of birds was flying overhead, almost exactly in the direction we were travelling.

"They're heading for the oasis," confirmed Tim. I looked ahead, and through the shimmering heat I thought I could begin to make out something green.

After a few more miles the palm trees on the horizon were unmistakeable, and the road descended between dunes to the water. We skirted the lake, and Tim pointed. "There."

I looked, and gasped. "It looks like a medieval painting."

Ahead of us rose a group of tents, the largest with its open entrance facing towards us. As we drew closer, I could see that it was hung with elaborate tapestries, and richly-woven rugs covered the floor and extended out from the entrance onto the sand.

The driver stopped the car, and Tim got out, holding the door for me. I followed him, my eyes fixed on him for cues, and making sure I didn't get ahead of him. I realised I was holding my breath, and forced myself to breathe, the hot air almost scorching my throat.

From within the tent emerged a white-clad figure, his eyes a piercing blue, his beard streaked with grey. Flanking him were two younger men.

Tim approached, bowing his head to his chest in respect, then spoke a phrase, clearly of greeting. The greeting was returned, and Tim spoke again, gesturing toward me. I bowed my head as I'd seen him do, and the older man nodded, beckoning.

The two younger men brought low stools for us, and we sat in the shade of the tent's awning. A bowl of water was offered to us, and I watched Tim dip his fingers in it, following suit.

He turned to me. "So far the sheikh is following protocol exactly – water to wash our hands, then they'll bring coffee."

As he spoke, one of the young men brought out a tray, pouring tiny cups of thick coffee. Tim took one and sipped, and again I did as he did.

The sheikh spoke, and Tim answered at length, then listened to the reply. There was a pause, and I said, "Will he help you?"

"It's customary here not to bring up business straight away," Tim explained. "We're talking about his family – though it's not polite for me to mention the women – you'll notice they're nowhere in sight."

He spoke to the sheikh again, and this time the reply was briefer, with an expansive gesture taking in the surrounding tents.

"We're in luck," said Tim, relief in his voice. "He's invited us for the evening meal, and to stay the night. We'll talk business tomorrow."

He gestured to our driver, and spoke to him aside in a low voice. The man nodded, and I watched the vehicle disappear back to the north.

One of the younger men beckoned us, and Tim again bowed his head to the sheikh before turning away to follow. We were led to a tent not far away, and the young man spoke briefly to Tim before leaving us.

I looked round the tent. It was smaller than the sheikh's, but still elaborately decorated, with a low bed in the centre draped with woven and embroidered covers.

I sat down on the bed, while Tim walked around looking at the various furnishings.

"Water," he said, indicating a tall brass jug. "Don't forget to drink enough – it seems cooler in here but we still need to be careful." He sat down beside me. "How are you enjoying your first real cross-cultural experience?"

"It's amazing," I said. "I could really get hooked."

"Well," Tim said thoughtfully, "let's hope we achieve what we came here to do."

We talked for a while, and I felt the air starting to cool slightly. "Is it dusk?"

Tim opened the tent flap, and I joined him, standing and looking out across the dunes. The sun was just setting, and I forgot myself for a moment, putting my arm round his shoulders as we watched the dunes turn red in the fading light.

From across the camp there was a flicker of flame, and Tim said, "They're getting ready to cook. We'd better go."

We made our way back to the main tent, and the sheikh greeted us, gesturing to a space on the rugs in front of the tent. We sat on the low stools, and again I made sure my skirt was carefully draped and my feet weren't visible.

Gradually people started to drift in, and I tried not to stare as a group of black-clad women took their place on one side of the fire.

The young men we'd seen earlier came in carrying something between them, and I blinked as the firelight revealed it to be a lamb, already spitted. They hung it over the fire, and one of the women moved closer, reaching out every so often to turn the animal.

This time tea was passed round, and I sipped carefully, holding the cup in my right hand. The sheikh signed for silence, and spoke at length, his voice rising and falling in a rhythmic pattern. When he fell silent, Tim leaned over and whispered, "That was the genealogy of the tribe – they take it very seriously."

"But when he goes back to the city?" I asked.

"Then he deals with the modern world," Tim said.

"I'm beginning to understand," I said.

Tim turned to talk to his neighbour, and I watched the scene silently. After a while, the woman turning the spit nodded, and the sheikh spoke. One of the young men took a long knife from his belt, and carefully cut a piece from the top of the leg, bringing it to Tim. Tim took it, and nodded his thanks to the sheikh before taking a bite.

At the sheikh's next gesture, a black-clad woman stood up from the group and approached the fire. The young man cut another piece of meat, and she took it and offered it to me. As she knelt and looked up at me, her hood slid a little way back, revealing the face of an attractive young woman with piercing blue eyes. I decided she must be one of the chief's daughters, and I took the meat she offered, bowing my head and closing my eyes briefly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Her eyes twinkled at my obvious surprise, and again I readjusted my expectations – of course the sheikh's daughter would have learned English, the better to take her place in her country.

She returned to her place with a backward glance and a smile, and I took a bite of the meat, still hot from the flames.

Flat bread was passed round, then more tea, and I started to relax. As the fire burned low, someone started to tap out an elaborate rhythm on a drum, and I held my breath as quietly at first, then more strongly, voices picked up what was obviously a traditional song.

When the song faded into silence, the sheikh stood, holding out one hand with his palm facing us, and spoke. Even without knowing the language, I understood that he was offering a blessing, and I whispered my own thanks for this amazing day.

I felt Tim's hand touch my shoulder in the darkness. "Come on – time for bed."

We returned to our tent, and Tim closed the flap firmly. "Now we can relax. Even more so in this culture, what goes on between a man and his wife in their own tent is their own business."

I wrapped my arms around him. "Tim, I've having a fantastic time. It was a little strange at first, but all those customs you explained – they make sense, I'm beginning to see a little of why things are the way they are here."

He grinned. "I'm glad. I spent some time here when I was learning the language, and I always love to come back."

"Now," he said, "are you ready for bed?"

I nodded, and released my hair from its scarf, then started to unbutton my blouse. "I didn't bring anything to wear."

Tim smiled. "Well, you won't be cold."

I finished undressing, and stood before him. "Now you."

Tim removed his clothes, putting them in a neat pile close to the bed with his holster on top. He pulled back the covers and turned down the wick in the lamp that hung from one of the tent poles, then lay down. "Join me?"

I lay beside him, putting my arms around him and pulling him close. "It seems as though we're in another world, here." He nodded. "I know what you mean."

I hesitated. "Tim –"

He put one finger on my lips. "Don't worry. Let's just hold one another tonight."

I settled more comfortably into the pillow, enjoying the feel of his arms around me, and started to drift off to sleep. Suddenly I felt Tim's body tense.

"Don't move," he whispered in my ear. Then I gasped as he twisted, cat-like, his gun appearing in his hand. Flame spat from the muzzle, then again, and Tim rolled from the bed, landing in a crouch.

He straightened, the starlight from the gap in the tent curtains reflecting from his eyes as they searched every corner.

"OK," he said. He reached up to the lamp, turning up the wick, and I gasped. Just inside the entrance to the tent sprawled two black-clad figures, with long knives beside them.

I had no time to ask questions. Lights sprang up outside and I heard footsteps approaching. I grabbed for the first thing I could find, one of the bed covers, and wrapped it around me, hoping that our hosts' idea of appropriate clothing would be flexible in the circumstances. Tim quickly pulled on his trousers, then stood, his gun in his hand but lowered.

The tent flap was drawn aside, and the sheikh ducked inside. He glanced at the bodies, then spoke to Tim. Tim replied, and holstered his gun.

The sheikh spoke again, then turned and left. The two young men came in, making an obvious effort to keep their eyes averted from me, and dragged the bodies out. Tim closed the tent flap again, and as he turned, I was in his arms, not caring that my improvised covering slid to the floor. My lips met Tim's, my whole body trembling. "Tim –"

He held me close, returning my kisses, then lifted me from my feet and took me back to the bed, placing me tenderly down. He lowered himself, wrapping his arms round me again, his body half-covering mine. "It's OK, Jenny, everything's fine."

12