The Tides Of War Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They advanced on the bodies their rifles at the ready, but they were all dead, their bodies already stiffening in the freezing cold wind.

All were carrying Russian rifles. They stripped them of ammunition belts, finding food in the pouches they had over their shoulders. They rolled them over the edge, taking the rifles, ammunition belts and pouches back to the hut.

The pouches they left with the guards, whilst the rifles and ammunition were lowered in a pannier.

By the time they reached the valley floor again, the bodies were being slung over horse's backs, while two mounted riflemen waited to lead them out of the Pass.

David and Sultar were cleaning their rifles in the blockhouse, discussing the event.

"They must have climbed up to the crest at least four miles away" David murmured, "The lookouts reported them when they were three miles away. So there's a good chance the Afghans will think they died of exposure when they don't return. Either way it seems they are still intent of forcing an entrance"

"Well if they are Colonel Sahib, they will have to make a move soon. The snows will come shortly and the Pass will be blocked until spring."

"The question is, will they bother this late in the season, knowing the snows will rendering the Pass hopeless to them" David added.

"The Afghans are a proud and vengeful people Colonel Sahib, the will attack to take revenge for the losses they have incurred. They will wish to kill those who killed their men before the snows come."

David pondered Sultar's remarks, knowing there was an element of truth in it.

"So if you were them how would you attack" David asked.

"If it were me, I would attack just before dawn when it was still dark. The attack would be on foot, and I would throw has many men forward in a rush to take the guards unaware at the cleft. I would know that there would be casualties but when the Cleft is taken I would send in my horses"

David nodded, "that would be my strategy too".

He continued, "It would be a long fight. So have 100 rounds of ammunition issued to the men, it can be kept in a saddlebag along with their water bottle. I think we will reduce the crest guards to two men. That way we will have twenty-two men including my self-able to fight. The horses will need to be picketed further down the Pass now. The brushwood screen has served its purpose. Has the attack will almost certainly come during darkness; we need to have more men on standby during that period, then during daylight hours. Say fifteen for the night duty and seven for daylight."

"Very well Colonel Sahib, I will take the night duty and you the daylight if that is agreeable" David nodded.

Sultar began crying out orders, some rushed to the ammunition chest and began to take some out, whilst others started to take the horses down the Pass.

David went to collect Kahn.

"All right boy, we're going for a little walk," he murmured stroking his nose.

By the time he arrived back Sultar had all the men gathered around him, talking to them. David saw four break away from the group; they split up into two's going to the paths that led to the crests.

Sultar came over to him. The men who had done lookout duty had said they could see the road up until about six pm quite clearly, he said. So he intended to mount the night group at seven until seven in the morning.

David looked at his watch it was nearly two pm. He told Sultar to take his group and try to get some sleep now. He would wake them with a meal, he said smiling.

Sultar started to protest until David ordered him.

He checked the guard at the Cleft, before informing the Naik in his group to have hot food available at seven, for the men doing the night duty. They would eat at six.

He entered the blockhouse an hour later quietly, hearing snoring. He checked the stove adding a few lumps of coal, and then noticed the twenty clips off ammunition on his bunk. He sat down and put them into a saddlebag along with his saddle pistol and the pistol ammunition. Before leaving quietly.

He checked the guards again ensuring they understood their orders, before checking the rifle pits. Crouch down inside them offered some protection from the freezing wind.

At six he sat around the cook fire eating the goat stew and rice with the rest of the men, two that had finished left to replace the guards at the Cleft.

He sat smoking a cheroot, has the men cleared up, and then began to prepare the food for the other group.

At seven he and the remaining four men started taking plates of food into the blockhouse, some were surprised at being waited on by their Colonel.

He watched has the men filed out after they had finished, shouldering their rifles and carrying a saddlebag and a blanket.

After his group had cleared away he told them to go to bed.

He dropped into the rifle pit that Sultar was in; he had a blanket draped over his shoulders.

He explained he had told his men that one man could sleep, but the other in the pit must remain awake at all times.

They fell into this new routine, and then on the forth evening a message can came down from the buttress lookout.

Large party of Afghans, 500+ approaching slowly.

David knew it would be tonight. He told his men to prepare food quickly; he estimated it would take the Afghans at least an hour, to reach the Cleft entrance from their side. He told the guards to make sure the oil lamps were filled to the top, and then lit.

David had, had the brush wood screen broken up and piled by the side of the entrance.

He had found the gunpowder horns used by the mussel loaders in the first engagement in the ammunition bower; sometimes it was used to start the fires in the morning.

He had used some of their precious lamp oil to douse the brushwood. Using the powder horns he had led a trail of gunpowder from the brushwood to the rifle pit he used. The men were aware of it and took care not to disturb it.

He now checked it again; hoping that when needed it would work.

The men said the food was ready, so he told them to start serving it to the men in the blockhouse. Shortly Riflemen started coming out with their rifles and saddlebag and jumping in to their rifle pits.

David told his group to eat and then douse the fire. He was standing eating from his plate when Sultar joined him. He explained what had happened and looked like they would be attacked that night. He left his plate with the other unwashed ones and went to collect his rifle and saddlebag.

Crouched in his pit; he'd taken ten clips out of his saddlebag and placed them within easy reach. The pistol and box of matches were on a ledge by the lip of the pit. He had checked his rifle and fed a round into the breech, then applied the safety.

Sultar came back and silently dropped in beside him, he had been doing a final check of his men.

The hours dragged by, every one straining their ears for any sound.

David could feel his stomach clench in anticipation, but his brain was clear.

To be continued.