The Twelve Tables Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers

Peri picked her phone back up and sent a text to Josh, thanking him profusely for the new phone saying she would have gotten one herself in a few days, and he didn't have to go to all the expense. The phone came to life in her hands a moment later, the ring tone set to a familiar tune she couldn't quite place.

Answering it tentatively she recognised Josh's amused reply, "About time you thanked me."

Peri immediately gushed, "I am sorry, I didn't know whether to ring you or not so I went to ask Sabrina then we started talking and..." her voice trailed off as she heard his laugh, deep and rich making her want to see him, desperately.

"Look I am walking into another meeting, but..." he seemed to hesitate before going on, "I ran into my sister this morning, and she wants to meet you, Pete told her, I was seeing someone. She wouldn't take 'no' for an answer, so we are going to lunch with them okay?"

Peri squeaked, "Today?"

"Yeah, today, I know it's weird meeting the family, but you will know someone there," he sounded unsure of her answer.

"I guess it's not your parents or anything, and it's not like you haven't met mine. Just as well I wore a new dress today, so I don't look all frumpy as usual," she gave a self effacing giggle.

"I like you frumpy," he murmured softly, "It's like that hot body of yours is my little secret."

"Okay, where and when," she was smiling widely and blushing.

"Pete will pick you up around twelve, send me an email asking for the afternoon off work, I'll approve it and send it through to Sabrina and HR," he, of course, had everything under his control and she laughed, "What's so funny," he seemed genuinely confused by her laughter.

"I was supposed to see Pete next week anyway, this might save me the trip," she lied. She had seen Pete once a week during the last month for test results and to make sure the things he had prescribed for her were working.

"Again?" Josh growled, "I think he might like your frumpiness too," he teased her eliciting more laughter. "Gotta go see you at lunch," the phone went dead, and she placed it on her desk and sent the email he had wanted, asking for the afternoon off work.

Looking at the clock and seeing that it was already ten, she grabbed the banana from her bag and went to the kitchenette to grab some cold water still smiling happily, she had totally forgotten to pack lunch for today, and it would be nice to go out for lunch, if not a little nerve wracking to meet someone from Josh's family.

Peri left her mug and banana in the kitchen and went down the hall to the bathroom as the nervous excitement got the better of her, catching her reflection in the mirror she saw how pale she looked. "Urg," she groaned, of all days to have woken late and rushed out of the house. She desperately didn't want to disappoint Josh, and she considered whom she could ask for help. She had friends here at work, but the glamorous girls who would have makeup in the handbags were not quite those sort of friends and the ones she liked to hang out with were more her type of mousy quiet girls.

She considered Sabrina, but she just reminded her of Andie at her worst, predatory and not particularly likable. Maybe Andie's new found maternal streak would stretch this far, she had always wanted to make her over, Peri shook her head wondering at the change not within Andie but within herself that she was even considering this as she called her Mother.

Fort-five minutes later Andie stood in her office, looking utterly beautiful as usual. Peri looked at her and with a firm voice spoke bluntly, "I am warning you Andie. No pink cheeks or caked on foundation, just eyeliner and mascara, okay?"

Andie grinned, "I was near the store when you called," she pulled out a brand new tub of Glow, a soft make up brush, eye liner and mascara and finally placed a small pot of pale lip gloss beside them. "See, I understand now that you just want to be you," the startled look on Peri's face made her smile wider. "Just one little thing," she asked tentatively as she handed Peri a small hand mirror.

Peri's eyes narrowed, she knew it was too good to be true, "Can I do something with your hair, pretty please, I am so tired of that ponytail you must be as well," Andie said surprisingly softly.

"Only if you won't get upset when I pull it out because it makes me look even frumpier," Peri smiled lightening her words slightly, but new Andie or not, Peri had seen her mother's attempts to do something with her hair before.

Andie grinned and pulled out a hairbrush before peri could change her mind. Pulling the tight pony tail out, Andie braided the wavy locks loosely down Peri's back, it was soft around her face and allowed for small tendrils to curl about her ears. Andie pushed bobby pins with small white flowers into the braid and smiled. Picking up her phone she took a photo if the back of her hair and showed it to Peri.

Peri pursed her lips as she looked at the photo, then smiled up at Andie, "Thanks, it's perfect."

"Tell me all about your lunch when you get home," Andie grinned, "I told you, it's love!"

Shaking her head, Peri was about to argue the point when Sabrina appeared in the doorway. "Andie isn't it? I think I met you the day Peri burnt herself."

"Hi," Andie said easily, "You are?"

Peri interrupted, "Andie, Sabrina; Sabrina, Andie."

"Seems our frumpy little book worm is getting some glam, she told me that you helped pick out the dress," Sabrina chatted to Andie ignoring Peri's introduction. "Do you do any personal shopping, if so I would like to book in for a few pointers, I mean look at the difference," she waved her hand in Peri's direction without actually looking at her.

Peri felt her mother stiffen and reached out to take her hand squeezing it and shaking her head imperceptibly. "She does have a style all her own," Andie smiled through gritted teeth, "but I quite like it, she is her own person, unique like her name..."

"Oh no, you don't," Peri cut her off stand up.

"What," Andie cried in dismay, "You have a gorgeous name I made it up myself."

Sabrina's eyes were alight with curiosity, "Yet another mystery, Peri. How curious you are."

Andie laughed, "What other mystery do you have?"

Sabrina warmed to gossip, and went through the whole story of thinking she had a crush on Josh and how ridiculous that was and that Sabrina knew she was getting laid and that Peri wouldn't tell her anything other than that there was a mystery man. Sabrina barely paused to take a breath.

Andie smirked, and leaned forward toward Sabrina, "I've met him, did you know? Totally dreamy, I imagine women throw themselves at him all the time. Probably why he chose her, she has a sweetness that isn't painted over by the fashion hype."

"Now let's go talk about this personal shopper thing, you think some of the other's would be interested too?" Andie began to steer Sabrina out of Peri's office walking arm in arm like bosom buddies as Sabrina had done to Peri earlier.

Sabrina stopped and turned her head speaking over her shoulder, "Josh approved your afternoon off, Peri, lucky duck!" Andie winked at her and continued to propel Sabrina away from her daughter.

Peri finished her little touches of make up now that Andie wasn't playing with her hair, trying not to worry about what Andie was telling Sabrina.

Deciding it was a good idea to keep some make up at work she put everything into her draw leaving the lip gloss beside her phone to take with her. Andie returned with an agonised expression, "Tell me that I was never that bad, or awful to you."

Peri could have, but it would be a lie. If anything Andie had been worse in her criticism of her daughter's looks over the last few years, than Sabrina had been. "Its fine Andie I am used to it," Peri smiled weakly, "you didn't tell her anything about um, you know who, right?"

"No way, I know her type all too well. Hell, I am her type, or was," she looked at Peri and smiled crookedly, "I am so sorry baby that I made you feel crummy about yourself, but look at you now, your gorgeous!"

"Don't you have to get back to work?" Peri blushed under her mother's unexpected praise.

Andie grimaced, "Yeah but that personal shopper thing sounds exciting doesn't it. I might have to investigate that, can you imagine shopping for a living, how wonderful!" Andie hugged her, "that dress looks great, you look great, don't let Sabrina get to you." She lowered her voice and whispered in her ear, "You got the guy she is after." Andie stepped back and nodded at Peri's stunned expression. Then laughed and left calling, "Have a great time," over her shoulder.

Peri felt as if she had wasted the whole morning at work. Trying to put the hurt she felt at Sabrina's careless remarks aside, began emailing herself some notes and websites to work on at home now that she had the whole afternoon off. She didn't imagine lunch would take that long. Once again she became involved in the story and it's characters as she pulled out information to be researched more thoroughly and jumped when Peter Lee flopped into the chair in front of her desk, "You scared me!"

"Aww come on little red, I'm not the big bad wolf remember," he smirked at her using the nickname he had given her when they first met.

She grinned and shook her head closing her lap top, "I'm glad to see you, how are you?"

"Great! You?" He smiled as she cleared off her desk and grabbed her bag throwing the phone in and applying a quick coat of lip gloss.

"Nervous, I didn't even know he had a sister," Peri gave a nervous half laugh.

"Hate to break this to you little red, but Josh comes from a huge family," Peri squeaked looking up at her doorway making sure no one was close enough to overhear, Pete looked around curiously and back at Peri raising an eyebrow.

"We aren't exactly announcing our relationship at work," she mumbled, "Rumours will probably fly around that you're the mystery man I am seeing, just because you're here in my office."

"I've been called worse," Pete smirked.

"Let's go before I have to explain to anyone, hopefully they are all at lunch," Peri grimaced.

Pete took her hand as she stood up and started singing the mission impossible theme softly, "Dun dun dun dun dun dun doo dedoo doo dedoo dede ... Your mission should you choose to accept it..." He laughed with her as they ran to the lift and were stalled having to wait, "You look great, by the way."

Pete looked around and murmured, "I think our cover's been blown, my dear." Peri poked at the button determinedly as she saw one of the girls disappear into the kitchenette and a moment later Sabrina's head poke around the corner.

"You're quite the catch Doctor Pete, do you want an introduction to the office barracuda?" Peri sighed.

"Nah let's see what the rumour mill makes of this," he bent to kiss her chastely and bundled her into the opening lift, closing the doors on the stunned expression of the approaching woman.

"Oh, my gosh," Peri held her hand to her cheek. "Last week I was the fat, mousey little office girl that everyone knew had no life, now I am the source of the latest juicy gossip," she punched his arm, "Thanks a lot, Doctor Pete. You're going to have to explain that kiss to Josh, I am not doing it."

"At your service as always little red," he was still laughing enjoying her consternation. "Oh yeah Josh, he probably won't like that huh?" He continued to tease her.

"Oh yeah," Peri mimicked him. "The rumours will be running thick and fast by the time Josh get's back there, and she will make sure he knows I am not the shy little wall flower they all thought I was," she pulled a face, "I shouldn't have worn this dress to work, by tomorrow they will have us making love in this lift."

He laughed uproariously at her babbling, "I'd hate to disappoint the fans," his hand hovered over the emergency stop button and she leapt at it dragging it back.

"Don't you dare! She took a deep breath, "I am acting nuts, I know," she just got under my skin earlier, and I can't shake it, especially going to the last supper like this."

"You're not a drama queen, Peri, what exactly did she say to rattle you so much?" Pete held her hand and walked her to his car helping her in. Peri just waved away the question as he closed her door.

They pulled out into the traffic, and Pete said quietly, "Look you can tell me what happened or I can tell Josh the barracuda made you crazy. Don't forget I am a Doctor and I can make that diagnosis, technical terms like bat shit crazy and everything."

Peri laughed, "You really are so sweet to me, Pete." She narrowed her eyes at him, "Blackmail?" She looked away sighing heavily, "I don't know why it hurt so much, its, not like I haven't heard stuff like that a million times." She smiled crookedly.

"Stop dodging the question," he replied softly.

She knew she sounded silly, but she related the conversation Sabrina had initiated with her earlier in the morning and again with Andie. Peri surprised herself at how good it felt to unload, not something had ever had the opportunity to do before, very often.

"Did anyone else hear her say that to you?" He asked incredulously.

"Not at the time but she essentially said the same thing to Andie when I was sitting right there. She probably thought she was just stating the obvious and didn't realise I might be hurt. I don't even know why I let it upset me in the first place," she sighed, "it's not like I don't know what they all think of me."

Pete was silent, and Peri let her nerves get to her, "I don't feel very good could you just take me home I will call and apologise to Josh. Don't tell him what happened, please. I just feel terribly silly now."

"You remember I am a doctor right?" Pete laughed and she blushed putting her face in her hands. "Here's some medicine that might make you feel better instantly if you honestly don't feel well enough to go to lunch, I will take you to the surgery for a check up and Josh can pick you up from there, and I'll explain to him why."

"You wouldn't..." she looked up at him, and he nodded. "I didn't sleep very well last night," she tried without conviction.

"All the more reason to eat something decent, plus I would rather endure your pouting than the wrath of Nik," Pete chuckled. "Josh has never had a serious girlfriend before that the family knew of if I robbed her of this lunch my life wouldn't be worth living."

"Oh no, take me the surgery, I can't do this. It's only been a month how serious could it be?" Peri's voice became high.

"Too late," the car pulled up in front of a familiar looking Italian restaurant and Pete turned to smirk at her as he got out of the car and came around to her side. "You have nothing to worry about, honestly."

The walked into the restaurant, and Peri was greeted with hugs and kisses finally remembering she had been here before on that first night she had gone out with Josh. She smiled at the owner, "It's so lovely to see you again," she laughed as he kissed both her cheeks loudly. She was shown to a large table, and her eyes widened as she realised the lunch would be bigger than she imagined.

Her eyes searched for Josh, but she couldn't see him yet. Standing at the end of the table each person stood and hugged her and kissed her cheeks like a long lost friend, she barely took in any names as she froze in place her arms going through the motions of each embrace.

"Come sit with me," a bubbly brunette girl called out as she stood awkwardly beside Pete as everyone finished hugging her. Peri smiled and moved toward the chair Pete closely behind her. "I know it's a little over whelming to meet your boyfriends family, so we kept it small," the girl chattered away, and Peri assumed this was Nik, Josh's sister.

"This is small?" Peri asked incredulously.

Pete interrupted the chatter, "Take a breath now and then, Maryann, let someone else get a word in." Peri took the opportunity to rummage in her bag for her phone, checking that Josh hadn't tried to ring or text her, but it was blank of anything new.

Pete whispered, "He's probably picking up Nik, she notoriously late," he grinned.

"Thanks," she turned to Maryann and whispered, "I didn't catch anyone's name could you run through them again, slowly for me, please? And maybe what relation they all are?"

Maryann laughed, "Well the boys are brothers, and the girls are sisters," she laughed at the look of wonder on Peri's face, "Except Pete, of course, he's a cousin but we love him like a brother." Maryann ran through the six other names with little anecdotes about the person. "There are two more older brothers at home on the farm Papa, and Nik and Josh and another sister who is in Italy at the moment."

"Twelve! There are twelve of you?" Peri was amazed.

"Three sets of twins sort of blew that out a bit, but yeah, nice big Italian family," she grinned. "What about you?"

"I'm an only child, it's been just me and my mother for years now," Peri said quietly. "No extended family that we see regularly either, this is a little overwhelming."

"I can give you some of my cousins I have a gazillion of them, take Pete, he's nice enough when he isn't lecturing me," she poked her tongue out at Pete who scowled at her.

"Hey Romey, swap seats with me, I need to talk to Ben," Pete smirked and stood up leaving Peri surrounded by strangers. Antipasto platters and wine arrived along with a variety of breads, and Peri smiled nervously as her glass was filled up and she was passed the platters to choose from.

Romey smiled as he sat beside her and grabbed a platter, "Have more," he said quietly, this bunch won't even leave crumbs for Josh and Nik." She took the tongs he offered and helped herself to a little more.

"Actually," Peri said, "I was here once before, with Josh, they had this amazing cheesy garlic bread, do you see any of that on the table?"

"Might have to pry it away from Lucy but I will see what I can do," he laughed, "If she bites my finger like last time, you have to kiss it better."

Peri giggled, "Oh let her have it, I am sure if I ask they will make another one."

He raised his voice, "Lucy if you don't share that bread, Peri is going to order more." Ben stopped scowling at the now quiet Maryann long enough to turn his glare on Lucy who pushed the basket across the round table toward Peri. "We'll order some more anyway," he winked at his sister and offered the basket to Peri.

"What have you done little brat," Romey reached behind Peri, to poke Maryann in the ribs.

"Dated the wrong boy," she lowered her voice, "How was I supposed to know Pete would be at the club on a week night and see me?"

"There are only one a few families that could make Ben frown like that, better go and promise him your soul if you don't want him to tell Papa," Romey said seriously.

"Fine!" She scraped her chair back and flounced over and tapped Jules on the shoulder who vacated his chair for her.

Jules took the seat on the other side of Peri, "Nik is later than usual. Josh must be freaking out at her which would make her go slower on purpose."

Peri giggled at the thought of her controlled Josh freaking out, and the image of him storming into her apartment last night flashed into her head.

Romey refilled Peri's glass, "No worries, gives me time to get his girl drunk and steal her away."

Peri laughed again and took a sip of the wine, she was slowly relaxing, "If he doesn't come soon I might just take you up on that offer."

Jules pouted, "Hey, his name is Romeo because he gets all the girl's, I am a much safer bet."

"Aren't you twins?" Peri looked between them, "I bet neither of you two have problem's getting girls."

"See what happens when you so late Nik, the valentine brother's try and steal my woman," Josh's voice boomed from behind her.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers