The Viscounts Daughter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charles studied the facts, nodding his head as he understood the situation. "Hmm. I see that ITV will have the rights to both series."

"Yes. However if they decide re-run both series or release them on DVD we will be in receipt of royalties."

"Are yes. I have just read down to that paragraph. How quickly will they air the second series, should it be accepted.?"

"They will probably wait for the autumn scheduling."

"I see." He nodded. "I am surprised, Miss Marne that you haven't been able to find funding. This looks like a solid investment. You said little about Mr. Lilman. Is that the problem?"

"I learned about John Lilman on Monday this week. We have three episodes finished and in editing. I have all the crew and the actors standing by. If I had to go to a bank they would take weeks if not months to make a decision; and in that time the crew and the actors will probably have gone elsewhere."

Charles thought for a few minutes his face wrinkled in concentration. Then his face cleared. "Yes, Miss Marne. I have sources of Venture Capital. I am sure I can get you funding within four or five days." He hesitated and then went on. "I will take your word that Mr. Lilman is no longer involved with the production My sources would withdraw if that was the case."

"He's absconded to the USA."

Charles nodded. "May ask if you yourself are taking a part of the risk?"

"Yes. I will taking some of the risk." Ashley looked at me and I nodded. "As will Mr. Leigh. Together and equally we will be taking around seven and a half percent."

Charles looked at me in surprise. "Forgive me for asking, Mr. Leigh. Are you good for your investment?"

"If not, Mr. Anstruther I would not have pledged." I answered coldly.

"No, no. Of course. Please forgive me for being impertinent. I had little knowledge of the business you work in. Since agreeing to meet Miss Marne I have made some research. I was amazed that your film 'Scorn' took something like thirty million pounds in the first ten days, not including the receipts in India which I would imagine will probably exceed that amount, given the population and their cinema-going habits. Sufficient receipts though that the film has recovered its production costs in little more than two months. That is the sort of return my resources approve." He turned to Ashley. "I will call you on Monday, I have no doubt that the funds will be offered, but I have to make absolutely certain."

"Thank you, Mr. Anstruther." The Marne smile lit up the room.

"No, thank you Miss Marne. You have given me an opportunity to expand my investment area."

Andrea and Ashley wanted to make themselves comfortable before we left. She simply said to Charles that she was going to wash her hands. Ashley nodded. "I'll join you."

I would have waited in the reception hall, but Charles forestalled that. "A word, if you would humour me, Mr. Leigh."

"Of course."

"I have to thank you, Mr. Leigh, or perhaps I could call you Richard."

"Richard is fine."

"I thank you for taking care of Charlotte. From reports from the school she is getting on well, and I believe that you have much input into that. I am also in your debt as it appears that Charlotte is continuing in the facade that you are her stepfather. It must gall you to not be able to tell the truth."

"The truth?" I had an idea where this was going.

"Andrea went down to Devon for a holiday when I was away on business. Nine months later she delivered Charlotte. I have been made aware that the hotel she booked and paid, rarely saw her. I have also been made aware that you have a cottage quite close by, and it seems that you were there at that time. Do I go on?"

"You are doing fine so far. What else have you discovered?"

"That you grew up in Broughley as did Andrea."

"I see. So are you about to take your pound of flesh?"

"Not at all, Richard. Getting involved in ugly scenes or Civil Court cases is not good for business. No I am asking that you continue the facade. I believe that you not being able to claim Charlotte as your real daughter will be punishment enough; although I am not seeking punishment. So please let us continue in the facade. It allows me a little pride and of course Charlotte will benefit from my estate in time."

I stretched out my hand. "I can live with that, Charles. There will be no word from me to suggest anything else."

Charles didn't seem eager to shake my hand but overcame his inhibition. "Thank you. Perhaps you would allow Andrea and Charlotte to call from time to time."

"I am not her gaoler. I will suggest to Andrea that a visit would be welcomed." I was preparing to leave when something stopped me. "Tell me. This was fourteen years ago, how did you get this information."

"Ah! The world of finance is not so straightforward as most would think. Banks and Venture Capitalists get many supplicants for seed capital; not all of them are honest. We employ agencies that delve deeply. Their methods are not always legal, but they are very good. When I discovered that I could not have been Charlotte's father I wanted to know who had done the deed for me, so to speak."

"They got something wrong, Charles. I didn't own the cottage at that time."

Charles seemed discomforted. "Hmm. My informants were not as good as I thought. But you were there at the time?"

"Yes. They were right about that."

Andrea and Ashley were waiting for me in the reception hall, Andrea with a querulous expression. I turned and thanked Charles for his hospitality and Ashley thanked him for listening. He merely tilted his head in acknowledgement. Once we were in the car Andrea could not wait to know what we had talked about. "Charles is well informed it would seem. He knows that we were together in Devon and that I am the blood father of Charlie."

"Oh! And what does he intend?" Andrea asked tremulously.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Exactly. We will not be fighting with swords on the Heath tomorrow morning, if that is what you feared. All he asks is that we maintain the facade that he is Charlotte's true father."

"That's all?"

"Well he did ask if you and Charlie could visit from time to time."

"Why?"

"It maintains the facade and of course it will be of benefit to Charlie in the long run. Charlotte will be a beneficiary in his Will." As I negotiated the snarling traffic that bedevilled London I could see out of the corner of my eye that Andrea was shaking her head.

Ashley sitting in the back seat had been quiet, now she had something to say. "You know, Ben may act at times like a simple yokel, but he is very insightful. He reckoned that Charles would listen and if it looked like a good deal he would go for it. Charles had done his homework. He looked at you with Andrea in the same dispassionate way. It's all about profit and loss. He can't change history and there is no profit for him in making trouble. There are many men who would react differently; Charles however seems unemotional, actually without passion in any way. How you lived with him for all those years, Andrea I cannot fathom."

"I am the Honourable Andrea Seddon, daughter of Viscount Seddon. That was what Charles coveted, not me as a woman."

Once we were on the motorway I could relax a little and pondered Andrea's last words. I couldn't fathom Charles attitude towards Andrea. If she was right then he viewed her simply as a titled ornament without any value as a woman. For me her status had no bearing; Andrea was a wonderful beautiful woman, vital, great company and I loved her totally. I couldn't say that I liked Charles nor could I say I disliked him. There was nothing about him to like or dislike; he was a brain supported by a male body, programmed unemotionally to view every situation in terms of profit or loss. This dour mood lifted when Ashley, who had seemed deep in thought tapped Andrea on her shoulder. "When I marry your dad. Will I be a Viscountess?"

"Yes." Andrea confirmed.

"Well what about that?" Ashley chortled. "I've played a Queen, a Princess and Duchesses untold but never a Viscountess, and I will be a real Viscountess."

"And if you think for one moment I shall bow to you, think again." I told Ashley forcefully.

"Your husband, Andrea is a spoilsport. How am I called then?"

"Many ways. Usually you will titled Lady Ashley, Viscountess Seddon. Even if you are widowed you will keep that title until Christopher marries. Then you will be Lady Ashley, Dowager Viscountess Seddon."

"I don't think I shall like that for two reasons, first that means Ben has died and second because Dowager makes me sound old."

Ashley and I spent the rest of the weekend phoning the key personnel to tell them that we believed that we would be back business within the next few days. Ashley suggested that we release some of the capital we had pledged and get things going immediately. I countered by saying that if the funds from Charles did not materialize we would simply have thrown our capital away. For all of Sunday she called me Doubting Thomas.

Charles did come up trumps. He phoned Ashley late Monday afternoon and told her that he had found the capital we needed. Two days later we were back at Elstree and shooting again. In the meantime we had been busy. The Viscount had suggested that it would be sensible to set up our own limited liability production company as that would give us tax breaks. Ashley's solicitor took on the task of setting our company up. It was to be called Ellem Productions, Andrea's suggestion linking 'L' from my name and 'M' from Marne. Ashley mused that as we had this gateway to funding we could seek good scripts for productions. "Perhaps we could find a vehicle for both of us as lovers. The intimate scenes could be interesting."

"I would have to be there." Andrea decided. "Just to make sure you didn't go too far."

Ashley was unperturbed. "I will have you know that I will be a married woman at that time and I will be acting."

"Make sure you remember that." Andrea smiled sweetly.

The time when Ashley would be married was looming. Ben, of course wanted a low key ceremony. Not so for Ashley. She declared that as she had never been married before and wouldn't be getting married again she wanted the full panoply. Inevitably she got her way. Actually Ben conceded with dignified grace, it was the Viscount thing again. Much as he would have avoided the fuss, he couldn't.

The ceremony was booked for Hereford Cathedral and a reception would be held at a venue just two minutes walk from the Cathedral. It was ideal for the photographs, a good terrace with gardens running down to the River Wye. Then Ashley and Ben had a squabble. Ashley wanted me to give her away, whilst Ben wanted me to be his Best Man. I suggested that I could do both, I would walk Ashley up the aisle and then stand with Ben. "No, no, no." Ashley's rejection of that idea was adamant. "It's my one and only wedding." She wailed. "It has to be done properly."

"Ok." Ben yielded. He then looked me in the eye. "I'll ask your father to be Best Man. But he will not want to make the best man's speech, so you will have to do that, Richard."

"I will like that. I can take the piss out of my father-in-law."

"A little perhaps. But us Viscounts don't take well to being mocked. Actually I think there is an ancient law covering mockery of nobles; you could be put in the stocks." He grinned.

Ashley made things easy when she chose just one bridesmaid, Charlie. Andrea and I were very happy with her choice and Charlie was over the moon.

Another squabble about the music was settled amicably. Ashley chose the music of procession and Ben chose the music for recession. The organist complained as Ashley was determined to have the procession music from The Sound of Music. It was secular rather than religious. Ashley's face set had him agree as he could see a storm of biblical proportions looming. Ashley didn't ask about the music that Ben had chosen for the recession but I knew the organist would be happy playing Widor's 'Toccata' for organ.

The day arrived almost as an anti-climax, the preceding days being hectic with the ladies of the house rushing around to ensure that their ensemble for the day would be perfect. Even Ashley who had played this part on many times was caught up in the pandemonium. We arrived at the Cathedral at the time Ashley had determined; that time being five minutes later than the time given on the order of service. Even so there were late-comers and we waited in a small vestibule until everyone was seated. Ashley whispered in my ear. "I gave you away once, the worst decision I ever made, now you are giving me away. Funny how life works at times."

"Yes. I was just pondering. Should I call you Mother or Step-mother." Ashley's expression would have seared anyone else. I mollified her by then telling her that she looked absolutely beautiful. That put the smile back on her face. "Ready?" She nodded and I flicked the toggle switch which lit a small lamp by the organist, his cue to play. Not for Ashley was the usual of linking her arm in mine; she was doing it Regal. I held out my right hand palm down level with my chest and Ashley lightly placed her left hand over my hand. Charlie picked up the train and we started the process down the aisle towards the alter rail. Ashley smiled serenely wearing the face of her 'Queen' character.

Of course the press and the paparazzi were out in force as Ben and Ashley exited the Cathedral, which is why we had determined that the official photographs would take place at the venue of the reception. Ashley did her thing for the photographers to the embarrassment of Ben as she insisted that she wouldn't pose alone and clung onto Ben's arm. She gave them five minutes and then told them that was enough. "Sorry boys, but my husband and I need to get to the reception."

Pandemonium was in full swing at the reception. It appeared that some invited to the Cathedral for the ceremony believed that they were also invited to the reception. It fell to me to politely ask the interlopers to leave, explaining that the reception was for family and close friends only. Most understood and left. Unhappily one couple would not take the hint and it was only when I threatened that I would get security to eject them that they left, muttering imprecations. Having sorted this I went back to the terrace where Ashley and the photographer were getting ready for a fight.

Ben asked me to be the referee. "It seems that you are the only one that Ashley will listen to."

"She's your wife, Ben."

"Yeah, I didn't know what I was getting into. Is she always like this?"

"Wait until she wants something from you, then you will be seduced if you give in, and a war if you don't."

I approached the two and nodded to the photographer. "A minute if you will." I took Ashley by the hand and persuaded her to take a few steps away. "Ashley. Let the man do his job. He knows what he's doing, he does it for a living. You don't tell the cameraman on set how to film the action, do you?"

"No. But I want certain poses and he has different ideas."

"Ashley I am sure that it isn't a case of your ideas or his. Talk to him and he will probably do his thing and your thing as well."

"You talk to him, you know what poses I want."

I sighed heavily. "Ok. But don't give me grief after."

"Oh Richard. You should know that I could never be angry with you."

The photos were done with both the photographer and Ashley content with the content. At last I was able to get some time with my wife, who looked so attractive in a antique cream dress. Her smile as I told her was brilliant. "My poor darling." She commiserated with me. "Is there no end to the demands made upon you?"

"The only demands I will accept now are the ones that you ask of me."

"Good." Andrea smiled wickedly. "Apart from being meddled with, as you do so well, I want to get back to our hideaway and be very, very rude."

"I was thinking that. We should make ourselves scarce from Broughley, and let Ashley and your dad learn how to live together. With Charlie back at Cirencester we will have the place to ourselves."

"Could we re-create our tryst on the beach?"

"I was thinking of that. It was rather magical, wasn't it?"

"It was.

However before that could happen I was tasked to give a speech. The photos were done, the reception line was completed as was the wedding breakfast. I stood at Ben's nod and prepared to make my speech. Ashley had asked if they should have a Toastmaster, something that the Viscount dismissed and even Ashley's pleading could not budge him. I started by using their formal titles. "Lord Benjamin, Viscount Seddon. Lady Ashley, Viscountess Seddon. The Honourable Andrea Seddon, my Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen. Please charge your glasses for the Loyal Toast." The address was not quite right, but I wanted to give Ashley the pleasure of using her title for the first time.

As speeches go it went down well, even my poor attempts at humour brought forth laughter. I was used to speaking the lines that others had written. People who are far better than I with words and phrases. However Andrea smiled at me and mouthed "good," at the end of my speech.

Ben caught my arm later and thanked me. "Not bad, Richard. I am glad that you didn't mention your 'knowing' my wife before I did."

"Do you know, Ben. I forgot all about that, damn!" I grinned. "I didn't think it would be sensible to bring that up in front of Andrea. I think I would be in the dog house for months if I had."

"Months? I reckon years." He laughed.

All the plans, the tantrums the decisions, not to speak about the cost for just one day was done, leaving us becalmed in the post-climactic doldrums. Ben and Ashley had departed on their honeymoon. Meera had left to return to Andrew dropping hints that there could be another wedding shortly; and Charlie returned to school. It seemed the right time for Andrea and I to slip off down to the cottage.

CHAPTER 12

ANDREA

For some time I felt that we were dragged this way and that way with all that had happened. I was so happy to get into the car with Rich and drive down to the cottage. Christopher was now nine months old and I had started weaning him although he still needed my milk. We talked on the journey and I was so happy when Rich suggested that we should make the cottage our permanent residence. "I have nothing against Broughley, but I feel that with your dad getting married again we should allow him and Ashley their space."

"You're right, but for the wrong reason."

"Oh?"

"We are the ones needing our space and our space is the cottage. All the time we have been together we have usually been in company. I want some time for us. I am not saying no to some visitors, but I would like time when it is just you and I."

"Don't forget Mrs. Warren." Rich warned.

"I was not forgetting Mrs. Warren, but she seems to know when to be there and when to disappear."

"Yes. She does seem to have perfect timing." Rich laughed.

It was so good to get back to the cottage. The ambience agreed with me, mostly because the cottage was where I had been seduced and discovered that being a woman, a sensual woman, a well loved woman was the best thing in the world.

Mrs. Warren welcomed us back. "I thought you would be coming down here. The papers had quite a number of photos of Miss Marne's wedding. You, Lady Andrea looked wonderful and of course Mr. Leigh looks good in almost anything he wears. I'll let you get settled and then I'll serve lunch on the terrace."

I wanted to hug her, but I doubt that Mrs. Warren would see that as 'proper'. "Thank you, Mrs. Warren, that will be good. However I would love a coffee if there is any going."

"Of course, Madam. I'll bring it to your room."

I was in the middle of unpacking when she came in with the coffee. I was just putting away the last few of Rich's clothes. I had opened my suitcase but not touched my clothes, therefore Mrs. Warren started to unpack my stuff. She put aside some pieces saying "I run the iron over these, they seem to be a little creased."