The Wolf

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked at the girls and said, "He's showing us his family. Do you want to meet them?"

Mandy said, "Yes!"

Maria kept quiet.

I walked over to Mandy and took her hand, leading her to the edge of the deck and sitting down at the edge.

Maria just stood at the entrance to the house, just hugging herself.

Alpha slowly walked up on the deck and sat next to me. His mate soon followed and joined Mandy. The mate just curled up and put her head on Mandy's leg.

I had to remind Mandy to close her mouth because she was catching flies.

Our little family gathering lasted about an hour. The Alpha stood up and gave both Mandy and I a big wet lick on our faces and left with his family.

Mandy and I went back into the house to find her mother. Maria was sitting in a chair with a view of the deck. She stood up when we entered and hugged both of us. She was still shaking when she said, "He really likes you two."

I whispered in her ear, "He likes you too." I then kissed her forehead.

I felt a little funny. It was a nice forehead.

It had been years since I had felt "those" feelings toward another woman.

+++++

When the weather warmed, I started taking evening walks with Maria and Mandy. Mandy loved the walks. We talked about nature, animals, and just about anything that entered her teenage head.

Maria kept quiet during these walks, but she held my hand the entire time. It wasn't a romantic style hand holding, but more of her holding onto her protector.

During many of these walks, I noticed the Alpha pacing up at a distance. He never approached when Maria was with us. But if it was just Mandy and I, he'd join us.

The more time I spent with Alpha, the more impressed I was. I was raised with dogs, and even had an Old English sheepdog for a pet when I was living back east. She was a great dog, smart as a tack and as gentle as could be. She was born deaf so I never could let her run in the suburban neighborhood because of the fear of traffic.

When she was about one year old, I enrolled her and I in obedience school. She took to the training as a duck to water. She learned the hand commands for deaf animals faster that I did.

I still miss her. When she was about 15 years old, my ex got up one morning, called the vet, and had her put down.

I was never consulted. I found my dog gone when I got home the evening. I never trusted my ex after that.

The wolf was a lot smarter than any of the dogs I had ever seen. He was more like a friend than anything else I could think of.

I was a little worried about Maria's mental health. She was just too withdrawn and quiet. I also worried about her fear of the wolf. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't crack the shell she had built around herself. I decided that it was time to get her professional help.

I got on my satellite phone and started the ball rolling.

About a week later, a car pulled in the driveway. A Mexican woman stepped out and introduced herself as Camellia, my new housekeeper and cook. Since I hadn't asked for a cook/housekeeper, I assumed she was the mental health professional.

That proved to be the fact when we finally got a chance to talk privately.

The next time I saw Alpha, I called Camellia over to start the introduction routine. Boy was I surprised! When they saw each other, she dropped to her knees and held out her arms. My great big Alpha Wolf just about turned inside out. He was wiggling, and making friendly wolf noises as he walked up to her, got between her arms, and they started licking and hugging, him doing the licking and her, the hugging.

From that point on, they were the best of friends.

Camellia started bonding with Maria and her daughter. I started feeling like a fifth wheel. There was nothing left for me to do but go back to my "spook" work.

Camellia never left her cook/housekeeper persona. But I could see the difference in Maria in less than two weeks. And actually I didn't mind. The quality of the meals around my house really improved.

Julie(my daughter) was now a junior in college. She was all wound up with her friends and got a summer job on campus. She wouldn't be coming home this summer. I'd miss her, but I had Mandy to take her place. She still called and e-mailed every time she got a chance. But it still wasn't like she was here.

She knew all about Maria and Mandy living with me. She felt that they were good for me. She also wanted to meet Mandy, just in case Mandy ended up being her step sister.

"Fat chance," I told her. (Meaning the "step-sister" part, not the meeting part)

One day after about a month of Camellia's stay, I noticed that she had Maria with her and they had a bunch of meat scraps in a bowl. They were heading into the woods. Camellia saw me heading for them and shook her head, "No."

They were gone about the longest hour I had ever lived through. At dinner that night, Maria talked nonstop to her daughter, telling her story of feeding the wolf's babies.

Camellia jabbed me very hard in the ribs every time I started to interrupt.

That night after the house settled down, Camellia told me in no uncertain terms to let her do her job and to keep my mouth shut as far as any interactions between Maria and anyone else including the wolf.

Camellia said she was making great progress with both mother and daughter. Any interaction with me just set the healing process back.

Boy, did I feel useless.

++++++

Summer came to a close and Camellia felt that Mandy was secure enough in her new personality that I could enroll her in the local high school. So my "niece" and I drove the 40 miles into town to get her enrolled. Because my ranch was so far away and the winter roads were not the best, it was decided that Mandy would live at the school and come home on the weekends, weather permitting.

She was the happiest sophomore you ever saw.

To make matters even better, I took her shopping at the local mall. I kept my lips buttoned and let her purchase anything she wanted. $2000.00 later I was wondering if I was starting to regret it. I drive a Hummer H2. You should have seen how much "stuff" she packed in it!

On the drive back to the ranch, she leaned across the seat and kissed me on the cheek. She said, "My real father never treated me as well as you do. I love you."

My eyes filled up. It was the best money I could have spent.

As it turned out, when I explained it to Camellia, all I got was a big hug and kiss. All she said was," One down and one to go."

I guess I did well.

Fall started and school began. Camellia worked very hard on Maria and finally got her to agree to go with me one Friday to pick up Mandy from school. Maria was very quiet for the hour it took us to get there.

Mandy was waiting for us outside her dorm. She grabbed her mom and pulled her in to show her mom her room. No guys allow, so I just sat in the truck. About 30 minutes went by when mother and daughter popped out the door dragging a very full laundry bag between them. (Now I knew what my own mother felt when I came home for a visit from college.)

For the next hour, Mandy took her mother and I around the school, showing us all the "great stuff" that was there. Maria was smiling from ear to ear the entire time.

On the way back we stopped at a local diner to grab a bite to eat. We sat in a booth. Mandy was across from Maria and me. Mandy never shut up while we were there.

Maria sat next to me touching my arm, my hand, and even my leg the entire time we were there. For the first time since I had met her, she wasn't hanging on to me as if I was her protector, but as her friend.

When we got back to the ranch, Camellia shooed me out of the kitchen to do the "chores" and sat down with coffee to talk to the "girls".

Later that evening Camellia patted me on the butt and said, "Good job."

We had a great weekend and the ride back Sunday night was as upbeat as possible. Maria and Mandy made all sorts of plans for the next weekend.

On the way back to the ranch, Maria talked my ear off. She laughed and smiled, and even held my hand all the way back.

Camellia couldn't have been happier when I told her that night.

During the week, Maria asked me to take a walk with her while we were having lunch. A quick glance at Camellia revealed she had heard the whole thing and couldn't have been happier.

Maria and I walked and talked (actually she talked and I listened). We held hands like a couple of teenagers. Toward the end of our walk, I spotted Alpha. I pulled her to the side of me that was the farthest for him. When she realized what I was doing, she told me to stop. She and Alpha were friends now and she owed him for saving her life.

With that said she dropped to her knees and spread her arms to him. I couldn't believe it. Alpha came up to her exactly like he did so long ago to Camellia. This time they played like a couple of puppies.

I admit it, I was jealous, except I wasn't sure if it was of her affection for the wolf, or the wolf's affection for her.

I was going to need to talk to Camellia about my feelings tonight.

The three of us walked back to the house together, Maria between the wolf and I. She held my hand and the wolf's ear. She was as calm as I ever saw her.

Camellia was watching from the deck and grinning from ear to ear when we got back.

That night Camellia told me that her work here was just about done. She was going to make a pretend trip to visit her relatives for a long weekend. She wanted me to assess Maria's actions while she was gone. There was one word of warning, "You need to let Maria make every decision. Make none of them for her."

Camellia announced her little trip at dinner the next day. Maria went to bed early that night. She was back to her old quiet self.

I don't know what went on but Camellia and Maria were joined at the hip all week. By Friday, Camellia winked at me and whispered, "Here goes nothing." She announced at breakfast that she'd be riding into town with Maria and me to catch the bus to her relatives.

Camellia had it all mapped out. We first picked up Mandy at school, and then dropped Camellia at the bus station. Maria had no down time. Camellia kept her talking the whole trip into town, and Mandy talked the entire way back to the ranch.

When we got back to the ranch, Maria was all wound up. It was like she never had a chance to let her feelings down.

The next morning was her first day on her own. When she asked Mandy and I what we wanted for breakfast, we both replied it was her choice. I saw a bit of panic in her eyes. It was the first decision she had to make in a long time.

She walked to the kitchen counter and picked up a typed list. After looking at it a minute, she said we'd be having ham and cheese omelets. Mandy looked at me and said it sounded good to both of us.

I hated ham and cheese omelets, but I just smiled and agreed.

Later that night I looked at the list. It contained lists of meals. The omelet was about half way down the breakfast selections.

The three of us had a very busy weekend, Maria wasn't given a chance to let down. Camellia had briefed Maria's daughter very well. Mandy kept her mother running all weekend long.

We were supposed to pick up Camellia at the bus station when we dropped Mandy off at school. My cell phone rang as we were headed into town. It was Camellia needing extra time at her "relatives". I gave the call to Maria. Maria and Camellia talked until I thought the battery on the phone might give out. Camellia worked her magic and Maria was in a better mood when they hung up.

Maria and I stopped at the same diner we always did and had dinner. We sat in a booth. She sat next to me instead of across from me. She had a little trouble deciding what to eat. She picked the first dinner item on the menu.

When we arrived back at the ranch, she went to her room. She did not return downstairs that night.

The next morning I awoke to the smell of bacon. When I got downstairs I found she had made pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I complemented her on the great choice.

She beamed.

And so it began, Maria was rejoining the human race. She was back to becoming a productive member.

One afternoon, I sat her in front of one of my PCs and showed her one of "my" stories. I said I needed her opinion on how my story was going because my editor was on vacation and needed a second opinion.

I said, "I trust and respect your judgment, please read and comment on this for me."

"I'd love to," was her reply.

After explaining how the word processor worked, I left her alone.

Maria stayed glued to the story for the next six hours. When she finely came out of my office, she was grinning from ear to ear.

"I loved it," she said. And with that she gave me a very tentative little kiss, and left to start dinner.

After she went to bed that night, I fired up the PC and checked her editing. There were the usual spelling and punctuation corrections. They were interspersed with some very insightful suggestions and comments.

I knew at that point, she had recovered and I would soon be losing her company. My friends at the CIA would be moving her and her daughter into Witness Protection.

I knew I would miss them when the time arrived.

Later that week a really nasty thunder storm came through in the middle of the night. One lighting strike took out a tree on the side yard. I got up to inspect the house for any damage. When I got back to my room, I found Maria cowering in a coroner. She was crying from fright.

I took her in my arms and led her to my bed. We climbed in together and just cuddled. Soon she stopped crying and went to sleep. I held her the rest of the night.

As much as I didn't want to, I was the perfect gentleman. I finally fell asleep around dawn.

I awoke to the smell of bacon. I opened my eyes and saw Maria standing there with a bed tray and breakfast on it. She smiled as she said, "Please sit up. I made up breakfast in bed for us."

We sat side by side and ate in silence.

After finishing, she put her head on my shoulder, "Thank you. You are the first man I ever slept with who didn't try to have sex with me."

"My husband used to share me with his mob friends to keep them happy," she confessed.

She broke down and sobbed her heart out. I spent the next hour just holding her.

Toward the end, I told her I'd never let anyone use or hurt her again. She hugged me even closer and said, "Thank you." She punctuated that with a kiss, a kiss with more feeling in it, than I have ever felt before.

I knew I'd need to telephone Camellia tonight. I needed direction. My own feelings were just too confused to trust my judgment.

Maria and I spent the rest of the day together. We were like a couple of teenagers experiencing "Puppy Love" for the first time. We washed and dried the dishes from breakfast, we did the laundry, we made the beds, and we cooked dinner. All these things were done together, never more than a foot or so away from each other. I don't know about Maria, but the time with her rated right up with the birth of my daughters, as one of the happiest times of my life.

The worst time of my life occurred that night when I called Camellia. I got hell!.

Camellia yelled at me that I was messing Maria up big time and to keep my hand, lips, and other body parts away from her.

Camellia said she would be calling Maria in the morning to try and repair the damage I'd done.

The next day when I returned from my outside chores, Maria said that Camellia had called and we needed to pick her up at bus station at 6:00 pm. Maria was very happy to soon be seeing her friend, I on the other hand wasn't.

At 6:00 we were outside the bus station. Camellia jumped off the bus hugging both Maria and myself, demanding to be fed because she was starved.

All through dinner at the diner and all the way home Camellia and Maria sat together in the rear seat and talked very softly among themselves, I could not hear what was being said, but I suspected I was the subject of the conversation. When we reached home the only thing I was asked was to bring Camellia's bags to her room.

The next morning at breakfast, I felt that I was being ignored. Maybe I felt that way because neither of them said a word to me.

They disappeared into Camellia's room until dinner that night. As we sat around the table, Maria dropped the bomb, "I'm leaving with Camellia in the morning. Would you take care of Mandy until I'm well enough to take over? I know she loves you like a father and I feel you can be trusted with her."

I started to protest, but a look from Camellia stopped me, I said, "Of course. I love her like my own daughter. She can stay as long as she wants," my heart being torn from my chest as I agreed.

Later that night, Camellia visited me in my room after I had gone to bed. We had a long talk. We discussed my feelings toward Maria and her feelings toward me. Camellia explained that Maria had a long way to go before she was able to maintain a real relationship.

Camellia explained that Maria had never disclosed being shared sexually before. That revelation while it was an important event required a different course of therapy. Everything Camellia discussed with me made since, but it didn't heal my heart break.

On the way out my bedroom door, Camellia said, "Call me any time and we'll talk. I know this is breaking your heart."

"How'd she know? ", I thought

When I picked up Mandy from school that Friday afternoon, I had a lot of questions to answer. Maria had called Mandy and said she was leaving with Camellia and I'd be picking Mandy up. But no further explanation was given.

So I had a lot to explain.

Mandy and I talked all through dinner at the diner and on the rest of the ride home. I started out by telling Camellia was a doctor not a housekeeper. She was hired to help Maria with her mental health issues. We discussed how well her mother had become since I hired Camellia and how much she was drawn to her mother.

Mandy also exclaimed, "No wonder Camellia was so easy to talk to, I wonder if I can still discuss girl things with her?"

I gave her Camellia's phone number and exclaimed, "Of course, she loves you like a daughter." I made a mental note to warn Camellia that there might be some phone calls coming.

The rest of the weekend went pretty good, except when I found Mandy standing in my office. "There's too much computing power here for 'just' a writer. What do you really do? You have too much money. When Mom and I were in the hospital, it was a military hospital. We were even transported back here by military helicopter and then there's that funny phone you have locked up in your desk."

"Oh shit!" I thought, "How much do I tell her."

I looked her right in the eyes and said, "This goes nowhere further. I work for the CIA, I'm not a writer. The writer part is just to explain why I live isolated in the hills."

Her eyes got very round as I talked. She finally asked, "If I talked about you what would happen?"

"I'd probably be killed," I answered.

She started crying, "I guess I'd better keep my mouth shut. You are too important a person to me to risk losing."

We had a very big hug. I remembered that my long dead daughter would be about her age now if she had lived.

Some day I'd need to have a discussion with her about Kim. All Mandy knew is that I had one daughter from a previous marriage living on campus. While Mandy and Julie were friends, Julie didn't come home except for major holidays so Mandy and Julie ever had the opportunity to bond.

Kim was never mentioned.

I'd need to change that if we were going to be a family.

Thanksgiving was right around the corner; I thought a nice family dinner would be in order. I sent Julie an email to attend and bring any friends she wanted. I also offered to drive over and pick them up and then give her a new car to drive back to campus with or drive her back to college in my H2.