Thinking Marriage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well he didn't offend me last night Mrs Turner."

"Perhaps you are strong enough to cope."

"Please give Jack my phone number Mrs Turner. I would prefer he called me because I only met him last night and didn't really get much beyond exchanging names and he telling my I have nice boobs."

"Oh that vintage Professor Latimer Miss Flint. Thank you once again for addressing our dinner so competently. Doubtless the chairman will express his appreciation in writing."

Two hours later Louise took a call, thinking it might be one of her field assessors.

"Hi it's Jack. I sat with you last evening."

"Oh one of the guys who admired my breasts."

"One of the guys? The insolent hogs. God you need protection and I'm your man for that."

"Oh really? Are you sure you have that right way round. I thought I'd need protection from you."

There was no reply for a moment and Louise could almost hear Jack engaging his mind in lower gear.

"Perhaps you are a rare female. I sensed there was something about you and I don't just mean your tits, er your breasts."

"And what is that Jack?"

"You are a female who can tease with humor."

"Jack I wouldn't want you to overtax yourself in trying to ply me with compliments and superlatives. Would you like to date me?"

"Wow Louise, you're on to me."

"Name me four other reasons why you'd call me?"

"Um, well... oh crap. Yes mom is having the Campbell's and Regan's for dinner on Saturday night and wants me there. I smell a set-up and believe Fiona Campbell will be there with her parents."

"All five being involved in entrapment and the Regan's were invited to make it look like a just a routine dinner party?"

"Er yes."

"And inviting you, your mother practically ordered you to be there?"

"Do you know mom?"

"That's a diversion Jack. You know it's highly unlikely I know your parents."

"Yeah and that's what made me smell a rat."

"So I accompany you and it's goodbye Fiona?"

"Ah yes. One alternative would be to shoot her."

Louise laughed and said she would accompany him providing he phoned his mom and told her he'd be bringing and lovely young women with him and no he wasn't sleeping with her yet."

"Yet?"

"Oh was that too big a word for you to comprehend Jack?"

"God Louise," he laughed. "You're almost too much for me. I guess mom then calls Colleen Campbell and says my new girlfriend will accompany me and that will translate into a no-show by Fiona."

"Well read Jack."

* * *

Jack entered the lobby of Louise's apartment block and found her already waiting, her blonde hair pinned high and she was dressed in black. She stood with a bouquet of flowers in the crock of one arm and a handbag with a parcel protruding.

"Hi," Jack smiled and kissed her confidently, their first kiss. He then stood back a bit saying, "Let's get a good look at you. Oh yummy."

Louise liked the greeting and liked Jack's open manner. She thought he was a guy with nothing to hide and did not go in for posturing and that was good because she was rather like that herself.

"Please kiss me again."

He practically showed all of his teeth in the grin before closing his mouth to kiss her.

"Does that make you feel good?"

She smiled and said yes thank you doctor.

They headed north and slightly west for an hour to Amesbury, where Jack was born thirty-six years ago and where his father still practiced in his original office he rented as a newly registered attorney and married two years before Jack was born.

"Omigod," Jack's mother said in delight when coming out of the house with Gregory. "Jack you have found a lady at last." She kissed Louise as Jack made the introductions and said to call her Astrid.

Gregory just smiled and nodded when introduced. That told Louise who ran this family.

Astrid expressed pleasure when given the bouquet and holding it out for Gregory to take without needing to instruct him, she opened the parcel and gasped, "Oh my very favorite chocolates. How very astute of you my dear. Well come in. Bring Louise's bag Gregory."

"Now dear I have made up the guestroom but I have no problem if you wish to sleep with Jack."

Louise looked at Jack who at that moment was studying the sky. She turned and said to Gregory, "What do you say about that Mr Latimer?"

"I don't make decisions like that around here. Oh please call me Gregory."

"Gregory I would like to here your opinion about those alternative sleeping arrangements."

"Astrid says we have no problem with you sleeping um in Jack's bedroom."

"Thank you. And Jack, what is your view?"

"You're sleeping with me baby, nude."

Astrid said primly, "Jack please don't be vulgar."

That appeared settled. Jack went off with his mother, no doubt to be told what his mom thought of his new choice of girlfriend and to lecture him on the need to be discreet about relationships when the Campbell's were present.

Gregory put Louise's overnight bag on the bed.

"Jack and I have only just met and have not slept together yet. I really meant what I indicated, that if you were not happy about me sleeping in this room I will shift to the guestroom."

"People are more relaxed about sleeping arrangements these days," he said, although not indicating to Louise if he was one of those more liberal persons. "Has Jack brought you here to thwart Fiona Campbell who has for years attempted to squeeze a proposal of marriage from my son?"

"Oooh that's a very sharp question, even from an attorney Gregory."

"Well?"

"Yes it was but I'd only met him two nights previously and was hoping for a date. I addressed the School of Management's dinner for members of all faculties and partners."

Gregory gaped at her. "You must be the youngest person to ever address that august body. Speaker are usually captains of industry, top politicians, distinguished scientists and mathematicians, leading business consultants and professor emeriti."

"Omigod it's just as well I hadn't know that otherwise I would have wet my pants through nervousness."

"What I can't understand is why you?"

"It was because of the organization I work for. The director was otherwise engaged and my boss was away so I was landed with this doubtful distinction of addressing what you describe as an august body. I'm New England regional coordinator for The MacDonald Foundation."

Gregory was gaping again.

"I'll explain because you won't know..."

"Oh but I do. You see my late father and the late Angus MacDonald grew up together and remained life-long friends. But surely to hold down your job you'd have to have a PhD and worked in heavy industry."

"Exactly and I have a PhD in business management and worked for six years for Roebuck Industries in Pittsburgh, first in management and the final two years as director of marketing for all markets south of the Equator."

Louise noticed Gregory looking closely at her hair. She took him by the arm and led him toward the lounge. "Now come on Gregory, just because I am a natural blonde that doesn't mean I have a mandate to be and act dumb."

Gregory laughed, relaxing at last. "God Louise, you are good for the soul. Methinks my son has met a woman who'll be as much as he can handle."

At that moment Louise opted for the guest room and went back and shifted her bag to that room. Clearly Gregory was not at ease with her sleeping with his son in the family home. She began to regret coming to the home and suddenly thought she had no wish to meet Fiona's parents who would probably treat her with contempt. It was not right doing this.

* * *

Astrid took Jack into the kitchen and kissed him, thanking him for coming home for the weekend.

"This will have broken Fiona's heart bringing Louise. Even Colleen cried when I told her there was someone else. My god John..."

"Mom please, I'm known to everyone including dad as Jack."

"Well if I wanted to call you Jack I would have named you Jack. However I shall call you Jack because if I don't Louise will have a piece of me sooner or later when she takes control."

"Control of what?"

Astrid sighed and said it didn't matter. She is absolutely stunning um Jack. The best by far of any woman you've turned up here with and that's going back a long time. I do hope she can keep up with your liveliness and not become overawed by your intellectualism because it would be good if you two became serious."

Jack laughed and when Astrid said what was funny he answered it didn't matter.

"Well what does she do?"

"Oh a bit of this and that."

"Meaning? Oh is she a school teacher?"

"No mom. I met her four nights ago when she addressed our university's combined faculties dinner."

"What that girl addressed the university's bigwigs?"

"Yes and the bigwigs and partners enjoyed her presentation and the applauses she received was huge. She has a PhD in business management mom and for two years held down a marketing job for a heavy industry company."

"Omigod. She sounds very clever plus being beautiful with a great figure and I like her already. What does that tell you darling?"

"You are now in love with her?"

Astrid snorted and said he could be such a fool at times.

Then his father called from the lounge, "Where are you at with the drinks son?"

Father and son were enjoying a beer when Louise arrived in the kitchen with her bag.

"Oh hi dear."

"Astrid, please don't be angry with me and don't alert the others. I've decided for two reasons to call a cab and will leave within minutes. Please understand I like you and Gregory and I very much like Jack but I have decided I don't like being brought in to do what I have done to Fiona and I'm aware Gregory is not comfortable about me sleeping in his house with Jack so early in our relationship."

"But you can..."

"I know I can sleep in the guestroom but my problem with elbowing Fiona out in this fashion is that's just not me. I cannot understand why I consented to come here under that arrangement."

"I see. Will I'll cooperate and not stand in your way. You are a very unusual woman Louise and if you were my daughter I'd be very proud of you in doing this. In fact I am proud of you. Oh there's the cab now. Kiss me darling and off you go. I will try to avoid declaring the reason for your absence as long as possible."

The cabbie said, "Are you sure you want me to take you to Boston. Have you any idea how much that will cost you?"

"Here's $150, will that do it including tip?"

"That's a little too much."

"It's fine. Enjoy the larger tip. Off you go."

A quarter of an hour later Louise received a call from Jack.

"I can't believe you have done this."

"I'm sorry Jack but did your mother say why?"

"Yes?"

"And can you accept my reasoning and accept my apology for doing this at the eleventh hour instead of when you first suggested it and gave me the reason for it?"

"Yes and mom says I must go and visit Fiona in the morning and tell her face-to-face it's over between us although from my point of view nothing ever started. We have never had sex?"

"Oh god, I assumed you had. Well just be lovely to her. I suggest you say to her mom and dad that you will be calling in the morning."

"They called a few minutes ago to cancel, saying they don't like me and my family any more. What do you think I should do?"

"Go over there now and end it as amicably as you can. Just be patience and understanding and expect to be called a total jerk and possibly other shit."

"Well I appreciate that. I was in two minds about whether I ought to do that. When will I see you again?"

Louse caught her breath. "I wasn't sure you'd want to see me again."

"Yes, yes. I sure do."

"Then come to lunch tomorrow and stay the night. It's time we go something going but if you don't arrive I'll understand."

"I'll go with mom to church in the morning and leave as soon as I return her home."

"I'm so happy about that Jack. Just do the right thing. Bye."

"Bye sweetheart."

When Louise finished the call the cabbie said, "Are you okay?"

"Yes and I'm not married so don't think I'm keeping two men apart. I just require my new boyfriend to break it properly with his old girlfriend before he starts up with me."

"You know young lady, you give me confidence about the younger generation. Those are good old-fashion values you have expressed to me."

"Thank you. Do you have a family?"

"Oh yes, wife and I married twenty-seven years ago and we have three children. One is unmarried but bore our first grandchild and... "

Next morning Louise awoke with a big question: would she make it to the altar with Jack?

She laughed and thought probably. She had this feeling that her abrupt departure last night and her reasons for doing so would have shaken Jack and she felt sure she'd made quite an impression on his mother that she would be urging him to think long and hard about Louise as a long-term partner. Even Gregory might have added his piece. Well if Jack turned up early afternoon she might be facing her future husband. She was keen to make this happen but should avoid rushing Jack headlong into anything.

* * *

Jack returned home from visiting the Campbell's to find his parent's had waited up for him.

"How was it?" Astrid said kissing him.

"A bit rugged. Colleen was a real cow and it became clear it was she who'd been forcing the issue. Fiona admitted she'd decided more than a year ago her interest in me was not being returned but her mom kept stoking the fire. After a while Archie brought out a bottle of whisky and Fiona went off to watch TV. So I said to Archie was he going to end his friendship with my mom and dad just over a mismatch that had occurred between Fiona and me? He said he liked that description and the fact I was not pointing a finger at his wife. He said no that normal relations would resume and if Colleen didn't toe the line she would suffer. She said how could he make her suffer and Archie said a good kick up the butt would do for starters. Colleen burst into laugher and then said she'd been an interfering old cow and apologized to me."

"Well," Gregory said. "We can now go to sleep knowing we'll awake in the morning aware that it has all been sorted."

"Hold on a minute," Astrid said. "What about Louise. No way will I allow you..."

"Cool it mom. My thinking if I can really worm myself into becoming Louise's good boy I'll be talking to her about a wedding in the spring."

"Oh my good boy," Astrid said, kissing him.

Gregory said sternly, "Don't mess this one up son. Go woo that young woman and do a proper job of it. She's the perfect replica of the type of woman I had hoped you'd marry, not those bimbos you've run around with."

"I couldn't have expressed that better myself dear," Astrid said. "It's obvious that girl has already made quite an impact on this family."

* * *

Later that month, Louise and Jack began planning a spring wedding.

THE END