Three Kings Law and Jessie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's correct," said Randolph. "Your mom and I agree he appears to lack brain capacity and appears too unreliable for our likening. He's twice forgotten to pick you up for a date after he's arranged to do that."

"He forgot three times and then went home without you Jessica after taking you to that concert."

""He apologized," Jessie said.

"More likely he took home someone else," Randolph grinned.

"Darling your social life was not all that active until you met Nick. I think it would pay to remember that."

""Well I don't believe he's a good choice for a long-term relationship and I'd almost classified him as being sexually incompetent."

""Jessica please, we are having breakfast," said her mom while her father's contribution was to say that was sufficient grounds for dumping Nick.

"Well I want you to really think about this Jessica," said Barbara, glaring at her husband. "You never have been successful in teaming up with any guy that impresses me."

""Then be prepared to be pleasantly surprised mother. I'm currently working on something."

"What you've met someone else? So this is what this is about?"

"Bull's-eye mom."

"I plead with you darling. Think it through very carefully."

"That's good advice mom. I'll consider whether he's the right man to father your grandchildren."

"Oh darling, at least I can't fault that thinking. You know the word grandchildren excites me."

"Some of my older clients ask me do I have grandchildren so I think about grandchildren as well, Randolph said. "We must take a look at this guy."

"If I dump Nick you'll have that opportunity dad. Do I get the bus or can you drop me off at King Law on time?"

"I'll drop you off. This news excites me. I was worried about the possibility of Nick ending up as my son-in-law."

"Randolph stop it. Comments like that will influence Jessica in making her profound decision."

"Isn't that why she raised this subject with us... to get opinion?"

"Oh you're probably right Randolph. Then I'll be emphatic. Do whatever you think is best for you Jessica. Don't make the mistake and believe that sex is the fundamental base of a relationship between a couple living together."

"Right I'll have to find out what his other interests are, if any."

Barbara groaned.

* * *

Jessie nervously left the elevator wondering what her boss would think now that she'd allowed him to lick and suck her breasts. He might already be asking Mrs Mason to have her replaced.

Douglas looked up as Jessica walked into her desk.

"Hi you look gorgeous. Thanks for coming over last evening. You were wonderful and I'll be so proud of you if you take one of those recommended study options.''

Cheered by his cheerful greeting, Jessica decided to press him. "Which option do you think I should take?"

"The paralegal qualification would probably be sufficient and certainly require a smaller commitment. But if you see your future as being an accountant or working in senior management you'd have to opt for the full degree and then go for an even higher qualification."

"That matches my thinking."

"Then do it."

She smiled and said she's decided to dump her boyfriend. "When I do that will you date me?"

He said yes and she noted he'd responded without hesitation.

"I'd need time to study."

""Then simply allocate Friday night, all day Saturdays and Sundays from noon for three hours as times to socialize with me."

Jessie said happily that would leave her with heaps of study time and he said that's why he'd suggested that schedule. Also he didn't mind double dating and if her girlfriends wanted a mid-week girl's night out she could clip that night from her study schedule.

"Right to work," he said. "Call Mrs Adele King in here and tell her to bring her driving record with her and everything relating to previous court appearances and the traffic offence she was given in this instance and the summons to appear in court on this latest alleged offence."

"Yes, got that. What's next?"

"Dump your boyfriend today and then call your mom to arrange for us to have dinner with them."

"But you and I are still virtually strangers."

"Correct but your mother will be worried about dumping that misfit and will be anxious to eye me and assess my worthiness for her daughter."

"Oh right. I'll attend to that. When would you like Mrs King to come in?"

""Tomorrow at 10:00 sharp and warn her if she's late she'll have to make another appointment."

"Douglas, Mrs King is probably the most influential woman in this city."

"I know that. If she objects or stuffs you around tell her to get another lawyer."

"Douglas, if Miss King learns you are treating her mother like..."

"Her mother has to accept if we are to win this case she has to accept I'm boss. She is a habitual offender and it appears she almost ran down two elderly cyclists while exceeding the restricted speed limit outside the school by 15 km and hour."

"Gosh those facts will have her over a barrel."

"Yeah that's why I've been given her case and are those claims really facts? No one here including her daughter wish to accept responsibility for losing and having Mrs King spend 7-days in jail."

"Omigod, you are doomed."

"Not necessarily. It depends on how I can impress the judge."

* * *

Jessie arrived at the apartment just after 9:00 that evening looking very happy. She handed Douglas a twelve-pack of condoms.

"I look him out to a farewell dinner only he didn't know it was a farewell dinner until I told him when we finished mains. He called me a bitch and walked out on me."

"Well that was relatively simple and clean. He could have ranted and then slapped you about."

Jessie didn't reply to that. Instead she asked to be kissed.

"Please kiss me long and lovingly and when it's up hard press it against my leg. I have been dreaming of you doing that."

"You've been dreaming about me?"

"Oooh yes, you sexy handsome man."

Douglas became nervous. "Er Jessie, I don't want you to over-expect. I could disappoint you and that would be the end of us as lovers."

"I won't. Tell me, why me?"

"I've lost touch with most of the females I knew in this city, being away at law school for four years and not coming home for the summer and other main breaks. I went working in other cities to gain experience. The other big reasons it seemed to me that you appeared to me to be unloved."

"Gee thanks."

He grinned. "Oh and you appear to be the only good looker with great tits in this entire law office who isn't married. I have yet to taint my reputation by knowingly seducing a married woman."

"Oh when I tell mom your attitude about that she'll be so disappointed, assuming that eliminates here from being able to try you out before approving you to date me."

"Y-you're joking?"

"Does that sound like a joke?" Jessie teased.

CHAPTER 2

A short dumpy woman wearing glasses and a black coat entered the office without being preceded by someone from reception, ignored Jessie at the first desk and looking straight at Douglas said, "Young man, I expected you to come to my home to interview me."

"I treat all me clients equally Mrs King, without fear or favour. If you have a complaint against me I suggest you fire it at your daughter."

"I don't fire complaints at anyone. I just chew their ear."

"Kindly dispense with the provocations Mrs King and let's get down to business. My duty is to get you off this serious charge if I can, not to listen to your frustrations. I'm sorry but this is how it is here. We are a legal office, not a social welfare centre."

"That's something like what my late husband would have said."

"Oh was he also rude and short with his clients?"

"No he was a no-nonsense man and kind and effective who liked to get on with it."

Douglas said slyly, "No wonder I seem like him Mrs King."

She smiled, sat down and said, "Let's get on with it."

Jessie accompanied Douglas to the District Court and as they left the office she said, "The office manager Mrs Malcolm will be angry with me. She is in charge of the PAs apart from engaging them and employment issues. She does not like us leaving our posts."

"I told Mrs Malcolm you'd be at court with me this morning learning how the system works."

"Oh, why did you do that?"

"To avoid her finding you gone from your desk without explanation."

"Oh. I need to think things through don't I?"

Douglas smiled and squeezed her hand and said it was good she was thinking like that. I suggest you sit in the courtroom with others from the office."

"What others? The only others from our office will be the two junior lawyers on regular lower court work. Oh I suppose Miss King will bring her mother."

"Jessie nothing has been said but some of the partners will be here. I'll be on trial."

"B-but that's unfair. You have been given a brief that will be near impossible to succeed with. Of this is so unfair."

"Define unfair in this context Jessie, remembering my employers are the partners."

"It means wrong, unjust and even dishonest, so there."

"Is it unwarrantable or dishonest of the owners of our business to watch for themselves how I perform to allow them to judge how I cope under fire and under pressure to win?"

Jessie thought about that and said, "Well I now see it from your perspective."

"And the perspective of the partners?"

"Well yes."

"Good girl."

The courtroom was almost empty, the overnight arrests and the quickly resolved charges such as being found drunk and disorderly, urinating in a public place and street soliciting had been pushed through the mill at the morning sitting. Hearing the first defended case after lunch was already underway. Jessie looked at the guy and decided the weasel was as guilty as sin as she heard some of the evidence given against him and his only defence was "I deny I was in the building Your Honour."

Well the guy had been arrested outside the premises where the front door had been kicked in. But in summing up the Judge said with contradictions in evidence by witnesses and both arresting police officers admitting they'd found the accused outside the ransacked premises but had found nothing on the accused that had been taken from the premises, the charge of burglary had not been proven against the defendant and he dismissed the case. The way in which the weasel smirked really irritated Jessie.

She saw Thelma King arrive and take her mother to sit alongside Douglas. Thelma then smiled and came and sat beside Jessie and said, "I'm pleased to see you widening your interest in what we do."

"Thank you Mrs King."

"I hear you principal bounced my mother when she charged into his office making demands."

"I believe your mother was agitated, worried about proceedings handing over her. Mr McLeod wasn't upset."

"An excellent reply. You role calls for huge discretion. I understand you have been seen in bars and out walking at nights with Douglas?"

"You possess accurate information Miss King but what about reports alleging we have been fraternizing in the office?"

"There have been none so far."

"Isn't that how it should be?"

"Oh spoken like someone from a law office Jessie," Thelma laughed. "Just maintain those standards and you'll have no problem with me."

At that point four other partners filed in and sat alongside Thelma. That left Jessie in awe, wondering how Douglas knew he'd been on trial?

"Silver Johnstone appearing as Police prosecutor Your Honour."

"Yes Mrs Johnstone. How is you mother?"

"Blooming Your Honour."

The judge smiled.

"That's fraternization, it's so unfair," Jessie whispered to Thelma who replied Cyril Whitehouse had dated Silver's mother when they were at law school together. There was no jury to influence so the integrity of Judge Whitehouse would prevail.

"Defence counsel, have you gone to sleep?"

"No Your Honour," Douglas said, jumping to his feet, having just taken delivery of a package from a courier. "I apologize. Douglas McLeod appearing for the defendant."

"Ah the latest recruit from Three King Law. Have you filed your credentials with the court registrar?"

"Yes sir, three days ago."

"Good, good. I understand you are the person Professor McKinnon claims is one of the law school's best graduates in twenty years."

"That comes as a surprise to me Your Honour."

"Oh modesty is in your favour because I graduated from your law school twenty years ago."

"As you wish Your Honour," Douglas said, bowing slightly and the judge's return bow sent everyone into laughter.

The Judge then said dryly, "May we get on with it Mrs Johnstone."

Jessie thought that little exchange restore balance and then was astonished to learn of another connection when Thelma leaned into her and whispered, "Judge McKinnon and my mother dated before my father came between them as a determined suitor."

Jessie was worried about that but Thelma added, they remained good friends but the Judge would not take that into consideration in this hearing. Mr Justice Whitehouse was one a top judge with a near-impeccable record.

The prosecution's case appeared solid and backed by witnesses, none faltering in their testimony under Douglas's questioning. They all claimed to have seen the vehicle swerve without reason and then the driver brake heavily to avoid crashing into the rear wheels of two cyclists.

Douglas worked hard and established it was only one witness who had claimed Mrs King had been speeding, The police admitted under cross-examination two police officers in a stationary vehicle further up the road operating hand-held radar and observing traffic at that time with students arriving back from a school study visit had not detected any speeding vehicles at that time in the reduced speed zone in front of the school.

Douglas called Mrs King and led her through her statement made to the police at the time. He produced no new information from her and she stuck to her original statement.

In cross-examination Mrs Johnstone asked, "At what speed were you travelling Mrs King, now let's have the truth?"

"The truth is I honestly don't know."

Douglas continued to glance towards the back of the court as if expecting someone to arrive. One of the investigators from King Law arrived at that moment with a bearded man and Jessie noticed Gus gave Douglas a thumbs up sign.

Mrs Johnstone said, "Oh come on Mrs King. You were entering a restricted speed zone and you didn't check your speed?"

"There were children milling around the buses. I concentrated on keeping the same distance as the truck in front of me and then I was blinded by sunlight and swerved when trying to see ahead and at the same time I braked hard to avoid colliding with the two cyclists that seemed to appear from nowhere."

"So you deny you were driving without due care and attention?"

"Absolutely. I acted defensively, taking as much care as I could under the circumstances."

"Oh yes Mrs King, this claim about being blinded by sunlight. I have visited the scene and would agree sunlight blinding could occur there at certain times of the year but only early morning. What have you to say to that?"

"I know what I saw Mrs Johnstone and I say emphatically I was blinded by sunlight."

"That claim is patently absurd."

When Mrs Johnstone sat Douglas stood and said, "Your Honour, I have late evidence that could be of assistance to the court."

"Proceed Mr McLeod."

"These photographs were submitted to me as this case was called. We have been waiting four days to get a clear sky to replicate similar conditions as had occurred on the day of this incident. The police evidence said it was a fine day, no wind. This afternoon at the scene at the same time of the incident, 1:20, we had a photographer at the scene with a bus parked in a similar spot occupied that day by the leading bus of three buses. I call the photographer, Raymond Knox."

"Do you have any objection to this late call and other developments Mrs Johnstone?"

"No Your Honour, we are interested in anything that establishes the truth."

Mr Knox gave evidence that the bus was positioned just back on the other side of the road from where the skid marks of a vehicle clearly ended. Mr Knox said he took photographs at approximately at 1:20 in difficult conditions because sunlight was reflecting straight from the bus windscreen to where he was positioned at the end of the skid marks.

The photographs were presented for him to identify and Douglas had them lodged as an exhibit.

"You honour I wish to call the driver of that bus on the day. He was off duty today and my associate found him only an hour ago."

The Judge looked at Mrs Johnstone who called no objection and Douglas was told to proceed.

The driver looked at the photographs carefully and then declared to the best of his ability that was where he'd parked the bus that day. He confirmed the bus had a protective windscreen to reflect glare.

Mrs Johnstone asked for a moment to consult her client and after speaking to a police senior-sergeant said, "You Honour we request permission to withdraw the charge."

"Granted, case dismissed with the order that any reference to the prosecution be struck from official records including the defendant's driving record. Excellent work Mr McLeod. Your start with Three Kings Law has proven auspicious."

Douglas bowed and then smiled at the craggy-faced judge.

As the partners gathered round to congratulate Douglas, Jessie slipped away.

A social hour for partners and senior personal was called for that evening to mark the occasion of new recruit Douglas McLeod's outstanding success in court that morning.

Bug-eyed, Jessie was reading out to email to Douglas when he received a call from Thelma.

"My mom is still on a high over escaping a court conviction. She wishes to present you with a small gift this evening. You have read the email about the social hour?"

"Jessie was reading it to me when you called."

"Well my PA had just sent it out but I wished to invite your personally. Be there Douglas."

"Thank you."

"And bring a partner."

"But..."

"Oh caught you out have I? Bring her Douglas."

Jennie smiled at said the function was at 5:30. "I gather than was Thelma?"

"Yes."

"God she's treating you like big cheese."

"She wished to invite me personally, that's all, and said to bring a partner."

Not thinking Jessie asked, "Who will you take?"

"She just said bring her Douglas," he said looking at Jennie suspiciously.

Jennie was up to it. "Oh she sat next to me in the courtroom and happened to mentioned she'd heard something was going on between you and me, that we had been seen, and that was okay with her provided we kept our thing outside the office."

"Then you're not worried?"

"No, I must go out later and get my hair combed up and buy a cocktail dress."

"Allow me to buy that for you. They cost heaps."

"Okay. What you have been getting from me deserves a material reward."

They laughed.

Jennie would never forget entering the room on Douglas' arm and watching the horrified look spread across the face of the office manager, Mrs Malcolm.

Thelma responded immediately to keep everything in order. She clapped her hands and said, "Everyone please welcome our man of the moment Douglas McLeod and his delightful partner Jessie."

Douglas and Jessie glanced at each other, assuming they now had the seal of approval. Jessie looked at Mrs Malcolm who smiled at her quite warmly.

A tall, elegant and expensively dressed woman came up to Jessie.

"Hi I'm Helena. I was once a PA here and now am Mrs Jack King."

That made Jessie feel at home and Mrs Malcolm joined them and then Mrs Adele King came over and kissed Jessie and said. "You are such a pretty young lady and I admire your choice of man. Isn't he great?"