All Comments on 'Tight Fittin' Jeans'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Very Good

I'm surprised that no one has commented on this story. Maybe they forgot that you were Dynamite Jack.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
well, it is ok, but

a good story, but feels.....blah? weak? there is something missing, IMHO. dunno what.

DG HearDG Hearabout 17 years ago
Good story!

I don't care if you are Jake, Jack or John. You all three know how to write a good story. Always a pleasure to read your stories.

With the Highest regards

DG Hear

FairWindsFairWindsabout 17 years ago
Something's Missing

Good story Jack. Well constructed and written. There just seems to be something missing. Your Hero seems a bit more passive than your usual protagonist. But, you wrote from your emotional interpretation of the lyrics. Your take on the character, therefore, cannot be up for debate. On the whole, another fine short.

Your fingerprints are all over this submission. You could change your moniker for each of your submissions and there would be no question as to by whom it was written.

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Again

Another fine story from you! Like I said before, this is a good, fun story. Thanks for your efforts!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
pretty lame

lame, contrited, and unbelievable.....

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Made me smile

Anonymous thought your story was lame. Clearly s/he's never been to The Stampede but I sure have. ;) Been a while since I've thought about Big Spring (we used to call that place the Asshole of West Texas but, shoot, it wasn't that bad. Or was it? :D) Danced like a fool at The Stampede, got into too many fights, drank more Colorado kool-aid than I should've, broke a heart or two, and had mine broken a time or two.

<P>

Good prose as always, with places and characters that I know well. Worked one summer on a ranch not too far from Lamesa and did some well servicing in the area too. For all you Yankees who think it's pronounced <I>lah-Mes-ah</I>, it ain't. It's <I>lah-ME-sa</I>. Never forget: a day without ain't is like a day without your mom's sister.

<P>

Thanks, Jake, for the drive down memory lane.

Blue88Blue88about 17 years ago
Well Done

I enjoyed this the first time I read it and enjoyed it just as much the second. Well written, but that's to be expected. It had a touch of melancholy and sweetness, or perhaps that's just me. A nice change from the angst and turmoil in my recent readings. Thanks Jack.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 14 years ago
Outstanding, of course

Jake, I've read all of your stories, many of them twice, a few more than that. I wish you would write here more frequently. Your skill with words beats all, as my Daddy used to say.

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Good story except for the cheating

Both of main characters exhibited serious character flaws. She cheated on her husband Bill and Jake was more than willing to take a woman to bed who was wearing her wedding rings. I just can't give this a very high rating.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Almost makes adultery acceptable -

You have dome this a couple of times where you let the primaries cheat and benefit - it is interesting. Not just because of the lack of moral lesson but the way you blend it in .

This time everyone was "OK" with it as if it was just another day at the ranch - right and wrong are relative terms BUT in the world they lived in it was wrong even if it did lead to good lives.

As I noted interesting take -

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Nice story, I liked it a lot. Just one aside, if I may. I grew up out in the part of the country this story is set in. I can't imagine it being cool enough in August to warrant building a fire, anywhere near Lamesa. Just a goofy thought I had. Great story, JR.

MoMiner64MeteMoMiner64Metealmost 5 years ago
Great Story, Jake!

Don't know where you hang your hat but, you either know an awful lot about West Texas or you have done some really good research on the area. I first saw your story on another site without the attribution to Conway Twitty and the C&W piece you have written your work around. The story had been sliced up some on the other site and for those of us who are familiar with and enjoy C&W music Conway Twitty’s music immediately popped into my mind without the attribution to his specific piece. Your story was well written and is well worthy of the highest accolades.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Great story

Quite short but very moving story. Loved it. Will be reading more of your stories now.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Terrific! Love that song as well. I am glad it ends well in this story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous