All Comments on 'To Flee Or Not To Flee'

by tarkatony

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
friends as lovers

A fantastic, realistic, beautiful story! I loved it! How often friends are afraid to become lovers when your lover should be your best friend!

Keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Great!

Great, Realistic, touching. A real coming of age story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Great Story

I really enjoyed ur story. A few grammar mistakes, but who doesn't make those. Ur story made me think about my own life and how I wish my best friend had chosed me instead of fleeing. I could wish all I want, but the outcome is the same. Thank you for ur story and letting me dream about what might have been. Real pleasurable and look forward to seeing more stories from you.

Grey BeardGrey Beardabout 19 years ago
We have all been there

Yes ... Sooner or later all of us old men will look back and realize who was really in control. We thought it was lust, they knew that it was love, and in the end they found a way to tap our sperm bank. Many of us have written this story, myself included, but your story is certainly one of the best.

John ThompsonJohn Thompsonabout 19 years ago
A Lovely Read

This was simply a lovely story. Plenty of heart to go with the eroticism.

bhg08054bhg08054about 19 years ago
Wow, I loved it

The only thing I can find wrong with your story is the sad fact that I have never experienced a love as deep as theirs.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Absolutely Fantastic!

Really great story. Tender as well as humorous. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
i find this a sad 1st time

there was this episode of the TV show 'Dharma and Greg', where Greg finds out how his mother has almost erased his dad's personality. Greg finds out that even is his dad's private home office, nothing there is his, all is his mother's. his dad loves his wife so much he allows her to erase his personality from their home, to the extent his son does not even know his father.

maybe i am misreading, but that is what i see here. Fred does NOT let Johnny live. she does not allow him his own personality, she does not admit his feelings & concerns are valid, she "knows all" and is always right.

she claims she knows him better than he knows himself - even though she can't figure out why he didn't fall to her charms when she was flashing him and trying to seduce him.

Fred is clueless to how callous she acts toward him. she doesn't let him make his own mistakes, constantly corrects and improves him for 18 yrs - he want to grow and experience freedom, she is over mothering him. but she doesn't see it, and when he brings it up, she out argues him like his view is meaningless.

in the end Johnny succumbs, because he cannot stand to hurt her - i find it sad he commits personality suicide for her. in contrast to the other commentators, i find this a depressing story.

i wonder if Johnny will become an alcoholic, suicidal, or just run away one day?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Superb!

Your story struck a cord on so many levels. I had a similar situation with a girl who had been my best friend since we met in summer camp as 7 year olds. Only at 26 I walked away and have forever wondered what could have been. Your description of what was going through his mind felt so real it gave me chills.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
dont take grammar criticism

dont take a grammar critique from someone who thinks "your" is spelled "UR."

great story. it points out the problem with women: they control 70% of the money and 100% of the pussy

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
Wonderful

This was a wonderful story on so many levels. You hve such a gift. Thank you for sharing it.

Nightowl22Nightowl22about 19 years ago
Excellent!

This was really a good love story! Women Always know before the man does. An old saying "He chased her and chased her till she finally caught him". It's only an example that shows women KNOW!

I think every young man should have a Frederika.

That just doesn't occur, though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
A Great and Beautifully Told Tale

Testosteronly Challenged, ie; Without a clue, a male failing. If you could find the first word in a dictionary what follows would be the definition. I was married almost 35 years and only after my wife's death did I learn from her sister that my future wife told her after our first date she'd met the man she was going to marry. You are a genius and I salute you and your abilities. Well Done! Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
A Rare Gem

This is a sweet, lovely story, exceptionally well-written.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
great story

wonderful story hoe my little girl has the same happy ending

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
excellent story

Great love story; its Freds decision in the end. He was just the last one to know.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sad story....

Fred basically forced Johnny into a position that he had no choice but to give up his freedom even though he was only 18, it's clear that he was never as enthusiastic to their future marriage as she was, and Johnny was not that interested in Fred's plan to make him as good as she thought he should be, I wouldn't be surprised to see huge problems down the road when Johnny was tired of being pushed around by Fred, their relationship/marriage won't have a happy ending because it's not an equal relationship, sooner or later, Fred's dominant personality will strangle Johnny to the point that if he didn't divorce her, he will become a walking zombie without any personality of his own.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Happy Ending or Sad?

Great story, but I KNEW before it ended you couldn't really know if it was a love story or a tradgedy unless it included an epilog. Was he was clueless or just young and not ready, and didn't see a truth that Fred knew? Or was his fear justified, and he found himself miserable and dominated by a wife who had cunningly entrapped him?

Only a future we don't know reveals that answer. The optimistic or romantic reader will expect the best, and see this as a happy ending love story. But the pessimist, or simply someone with a more cinical view of life, could end the story feeling that the young man had simply been manipulated and robbed of his freedom and individuality. Probably miserable, his own dreams stollen from him before he had even experienced enough of independant life to determine those dreams.

Reading the comments about this story was almost as interesting as the story itself. I believe the optimistic romantics are far in the majority. IM not sure wear I stand. When I finished the story it was with the feeling it was almost the perfect dream, for childhood friends to discover life long love as well. And being a dream, that it was unlikely to happen except to the lucky few. So while hoping it was a happy story, I feel its unlikely myself.

Left with the story incomplete in a way not unsatisfied, but instead thought provoking. Brilliant, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Sad ending, almost for sure

this is about an assured, seemingly mature woman and a fickle, seemingly immature guy who THINKS he needs to be like others, do as they do --- in whatever stupidity the average guys do when they get to gether --- in order to be happy.

but here's the irony of the whole thing: she has set him up to be a failure: by promising him that no matter what he does, she's so in love with him she would always be there to pick him up, all the pieces, if need be and put him togehter again, she pretty much allow him to be immature, irresponsible, and stupid.

indeed, he said he oughta be able to be lazy and stupid; she shouldn't push him that much (he does as she says but also hates her for it: this is the classic trait of a wimp, weak-spined of a man who do things and blames others, a man who does not want to take resposiblity for any thing he does, whether he achieves things or cut a few women to pieces: it's always, "the devil made me do it.")

thing is, she will, after some years, grow out of it and say to herself, "You know, Johnnie boy may not be the perfect life mate for me after all!" this is especially true if she able to connected with other young people in college and find that there are some genuinely good and mature young men out there who would spot a strong, decisive, and caring young woman and know it,,,,,,,,,,,,

you could see Johnnie drinking himself to death, 10 to 20 years from now, trying, in his hazy mind, to recollect why he let Freddie go, why he never grew up, and why now it was too late to turn back the clock, as she would have already lived her life, with a man who was decisive, good, and mature and how they had started a family and nurtured it all these lat 15 to 20 years,,,

that's the "space" and "freedom" some of us need; but it is also a heavy price to pay in life!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Could have been longer but still loved it

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous