All Comments on 'Tomorrow is Another Day Ch. 01'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Great

Interesting reading experience. I hope you will consider sharing other experiences of that era and location.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
chills

I did two, 68 and 72. USAF remf but I still get chills when I hear a UH-1 or a 212 going overhead.

coonass-ordi

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Shudder

Damm. Were you aiming for heart attacks or just a few nightmares? Well done.

H20waderH20waderabout 17 years ago
Those who were there

know the sound of the huey's. the in and the out and the out was always better. It is hell to fight a war that your leadrs have given up on. it is hell to fight a war that your country has given up on it. is hell to fight a war that was lost from day one. NAM was that hell.

the men on the ground and in the air really thought we could win. 58,000 died trying but in vain.

betrayed by President Johnson, and by Nixon's peace with honor. and finally deserted by the people we though we were for, the citizen of the land of the free.

it was years before i talked about it and then only to a woman who loved me. She hated the war and lead many demostrations against it but she loved me. she married someone else. I was unable to love her back.

some idiot general said war is hell. hell is coming home to people who ask if you killed any babies. and you lie and say NO. in firefight near villages there always were dead men, always dead women, always dead children and always, always dead babies. Moving them for burial is hell. getting the wounded children to medical attention is hell. holding a small girl as she screams and dies in your arms is hell.

Knowing that i will die because of the war is somehow as it should be. i will join the 58,000 americans and the countless Vietnamese but mostly i will join the children. May an unfeeling god have mercy on my soul.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
So True !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true to what happened over there.

Great writing, just waiting now for the follow up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
H2O YOu should have said it's hell to fight a war!

Period. And what happened in NAM is going to happen in this one becasue of the fucking people in DC! They get us in it and then run!

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Outstanding!

The portrayal of action and attitudes is perfect. Only one who has been there could write something like this. Thank you for telling this one and THANK YOU for your service.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Memories

This brings back many memories of the gallant young pilots i served with in a Navy Helicopter Attack Squadron supporting the Brownwater Navy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
God the memories

You sure know how to tell a story. To all of those who did not come, GOD SPEED and NOT FORGOTTEN

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
sounds

there are sounds that still haunt me today, and the sound of choppers still makes me look around and keep my head low, spent time there also, 67-69 and GOD praise the pilots

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thanks

My father, my brother and my cousin all came home from Viet Nam because the pilots, crew chiefs and the men in the door were there when needed. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Reminder

Each time I hear that sound, it takes me back. Some good memories, some not so good but I can't resist reflecting on experiences that left an indelible mark.

huntzingerhuntzingerabout 17 years ago
Thank You

I am in my 70's now so that put me into a different war. My first two wives did not know I had been there as I had suppressed the memorys so deep. Your two stories about Nam have unlocked the memorys and I have been able to tell my wife about it. (some of it) I didn't know us old guys were supposed to cry but I did and It felt good. Thank you again for helping me.

techsantechsanabout 17 years ago
Not all of the country...

gave up on that war, H2O. I think the "silent majority" of people appreciated what our service people did, whether they agreed with the cause or not. I hate the way our nation's leaders hung so many of our military out to dry without giving them the leadership or equipment to win. That was disgraceful. But the heroics of our military personnel is still legendary, IMHO. I wasn't there so I can only imagine. But it had to take guts to do things like dinsmore and you and others that have commented here and the many thousands that served did. And like another reader said, his memories of an earlier war were so repressed he could not talk about them until he read stories by others, like this. I know it has to be hard to tell such stories, but the American people NEED to know what their service people went through so they could continue to live the free life we have in our country. It may not be perfect ... but, DAMMIT, it's better than anything else on this old earth right now! And it is that way thanks to our service men and women! Thanks, dinsmore, for writing these stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
I was there

Got in country Dec 1966...First job clean up at Dog Patch a few miles from the White Elephant....Da Nang was my first stop after BUD's and all the other stuff... got evact three time all hot.....Great shory thanks....SeAL 9

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Shit Hot!

Thanks.

tom anon

CalliciousCalliciousalmost 11 years ago
With profound gratitude!

Thank you for a good story, and for including the anonymous piece. I did not serve, being in the last group to register, but to have the draft ended just before i was sworn in as an enlistee. i went to college instead, but you may have been the one to pull out one of my very good friends. I thank you in the stead of whoever it was that saved my friend's life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Chief... Well done!

My utmost respect for you sir. LZ kits, Jungle Penetrators, setting down where other Slicks refused to set. Takes a special breed of PIC. I'm alive because of men like you.

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 9 years ago
Too few uunderstand how much we owe to so few -

No matter what your opinion or personal preferences about war - it happens - and those who go do not get to hold a discussion about it's merits or it's importance or anything - they pick up and go.

But for them and their being there - ready and willing - we would cease to exist as a people - get over your ignorance, your bias, your bullshit and be sure your remember and appreciate every god blessed one of them - and more .

Thanks for this much And all the rest to come -

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

You nailed it. Five stars.

I turned 21 in 69 running minesweeps on a little crick in northern I-Corps.

Had good days and not so good days.

msghaelmsghaelalmost 8 years ago
Tech error.

Unit for torque is foot-pound or pund-inch. Not pounds per square inch. That's pressure. This one goofup makes it loose authencity

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
thanks for sharing

it brought back images, smells, sounds, emotions, and so much more.

re tech error:

don't complain about errors in a story written by someone else without proof reading your comment. pund, loose, ???

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Gives you the feel of aircav ops in I Corps

Nice work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

God, that piece by the unknown author was gut wrenching.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman10 days ago

Gut wrenching and heroic, sad. Good thing we found all those weapons of mass destruction VP Cheney manufactured. Now we have many more friendly countries in the Middle East.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous