Tom's Noisy Girlfriend Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,336 Followers

"Because seven years ago I thought you were a perverted bastard who used Janet's pending divorce as an excuse to take advantage of her," he replied.

"And what changed your mind?" I asked.

"In some ways, it's not," Tom smiled. "I still think you're a perverted bastard, but Janet told me about the first time you were together. She told me that what happened was as much her fault as yours."

"When did she tell you that?"

"Not long after I gave you the black eye."

"And you decided to come see me now?" I frowned.

"I thought you'd both be better off staying away from each other," he shrugged. "It would have been easier on everyone if you two found someone else."

"But you didn't," Tina added. "Janet is unhappy and depressed most of the time. Based on the way you're drinking these days and the way this place looks, I'm guessing you're the same."

I didn't bother denying it. There would be no point. I was depressed and lonely. I'd buried myself in work for the first few years and then booze after I saw Janet with Jenna, but neither helped all that much.

"So, what do you want me to do?" I asked.

"First, answer my question," Tom replied. "Do you love my sister?"

I thought for a long moment. I realized I wasn't trying to figure out if I loved Janet. I was trying to decide whether I was willing to admit it to myself, much less Tom and Tina.

"Yes," I finally said.

"Then come home," Tom smiled. "Visit Janet and see what happens."

"I can't," I replied softly. I'd admitted I loved her, but that didn't mean we should be together. "We're cousins and it would be wrong. I know the Internet says it's legal in some states, but I was brought up a certain way. So was Janet."

"It didn't stop you before," Tom frowned.

"And you think that's a good thing?" I snorted. "Look what it's done to us?"

"Won't you at least think about it?" Tina asked.

"Have you thought how difficult it will be for the rest of the family?" I sighed. "My parents visit me twice a year and we've never talked about what happened. They don't mention your family at all. I didn't even know you had kids for Christ sake! Can you imagine how the rest of the family will react?"

"Fuck'em," Tom grinned. "Although I guess I should be careful saying that to you. You just might do it!"

"Don't be an ass!" Tina snapped at her husband.

"Too late," I said, smiling for the first time. I really did miss Tom. He was a friend as well as a cousin. Losing him hurt almost as much as losing Janet, almost.

"So, will you come home?" Tina asked.

"No," I sighed. "You really have no idea how badly your mother took it."

"Is that your final answer?" Tom asked.

"Yes," I said, grabbing the bottle out of his hand and pouring myself another drink. He watched and shook his head as I downed half of it.

"Okay," Tom sighed. "It's probably all for the better. I'm not even sure you'd improve the situation. Certainly, the fact that you're an alcoholic wouldn't help."

"How long are you two here for?" I asked, changing the subject.

"We're actually leaving late tonight on a redeye," Tom said. "We were in San Diego for a conference. We drove up before going home."

"We'll the least I can do is show you around town before you leave," I said.

"I guess so," Tom said and turned to Tina and added, "It is is birthday after all." She nodded in agreement.

The rest of the day went by quickly. I'd forgotten how much fun Tom and Tina were. I hadn't laughed so much in years. We had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants.

"I have an idea," Tina said as we sipped our after dinner drinks. We didn't have much time before I had to drop them at the airport.

"Yes?" Tom asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Not that kind of an idea!" Tina laughed, and then turned to me and said, "I was thinking about how you bumped into Janet last time while we were on vacation."

"Yes?" I asked with a frown. I figured one of them would make another attempt at getting me to meet with Janet, but I thought it would be Tom.

"How about we set up a similar situation?" she asked. "The rest of the family won't even hear about it."

"I don't know," I said with a frown. "Family isn't the only reason why I said no."

"But it's the biggest," Tina argued. "I know you want to see Janet and I think she'd like to see you. It will be worth it even if nothing comes out of it other than you two getting to talk again after seven years."

"You can't say you don't miss talking to her!" Tom added. "You two were always yapping a lot growing up."

"Where would this vacation be?" I found myself asking. Tina smiled in satisfaction.

"Janet is going away for her birthday to an island with some friends," she said. "She hasn't decided which one yet, but when she does I'm sure I can get the hotel name."

"Her birthday isn't for three months," I frowned.

"Good," Tom said emphatically. "That will give you time to quit drinking. It's bad enough you're my cousin. I'm not setting my sister up with a drunk."

"Tom!" Tina snapped, more in embarrassment than disagreement.

I looked away for a moment and thought about what he was saying. I'd relied on alcohol for the better part of two years to keep me numb. Could I give it up? Was there a point to doing so?

Tom must have read my expression because he added in a gentler tone, "It would hurt Janet to find out you're an alcoholic." I thought about what he said and realized it was the truth. Janet would be upset. Suddenly, I had a reason to stop drinking.

"Okay," I said softly, but firmly as I put down the half empty glass I'd been drinking. "I'll stop."

"Good for you!" Tom said slapping me on the back. "Now let's get out of here or we'll miss our flight."

***

"So, Timmy will handle things while I'm gone," I said to Terry. We were in his office and I was an hour away from leaving for vacation. "You do realize that it's almost time to give him a promotion? He spent the better part of two years covering for me."


"I know," Terry replied. "I was grooming him for your position."

"I figured," I shrugged. "He's earned it."

"Yes he has, but I'm in as bit of a quandary now that you've given up the booze," Terry said, but then smiled and added, "Have I mentioned how nice it is to have you back?"

"It's nice to be back," I smiled, honestly meaning it. It was the first time Terry and I spoke about my drinking problem. It felt uncomfortable and odd, but it was good to get it out in the open.

"What made you quit drinking?" he asked.

"My cousin visited and told me I looked like shit," I responded. "Twice."

"And that's all it took?" Terry laughed.

"Mostly," I answered. "I've got to go or I'll miss my flight."

"Have fun," he said. "We'll figure out what to do with Timmy when you get back."

"I have some ideas," I said. "The area is getting big enough to split into two."

"I agree," Terry said. "Timmy will head up one of them. You might want to spend some time figuring out who should head up the other."

"Planning on getting rid of me?" I asked.

"No," Terry laughed. "Promoting you!"

"Terry, that sounds great," I said seriously. "But I've only been sober for three months."

"If you think the added stress will..." he began, but I cut him off.

"This place wasn't the reason why I drank," I said. "In fact, I think it was the reason why I stayed functioning, mostly."

"Well then," Terry smiled. "We'll talk about your promotion when you get back too."

"Thanks Terry," I said warmly.

"You earned it," he shrugged. "Even drunk you were better than half the guys out there and I haven't forgotten your part in building this company." I shook my head and said my goodbyes.

I reviewed the last three months during the taxi ride to the airport. Quitting drinking was hard at first, but it grew easier with time. Work helped, but what really made it possible were thoughts of seeing Janet again. Cousin or not, I knew without a doubt that I loved her. Admitting it to Tom and Tina only made my desire to see her stronger. The question was, did she feel the same?

"Going on an interview?" the taxi cab driver asked. "You looked nervous."

"No," I smiled. "I'm going to meet a woman I haven't talked to in seven years."

"Love her?" he asked.

"Like crazy," I admitted.

"Good luck!" he laughed.

The plane flight was long and cramped. What made it worse was that I didn't know how Janet would react when she saw me. It was surprisingly difficult not to ask the stewardess for a drink. I slept as much of the two flights as I could, but it wasn't a good rest.

I made it from the airport to the hotel without incident. Janet and her friends weren't due until the next day, so I crashed in bed and slept my jetlag away. I woke up ridiculously early in the morning, but at least I felt rested. I watched a couple of movies, ordered in breakfast and fell back to sleep.

The next time I woke up I looked at the clock and swallowed. Janet should have arrived at the hotel by now. I got out of bed, took a quick shower and got into my bathing suit. I wondered around the pool, but didn't see her.

I'd never felt so nervous and confused in my life. I wanted to see her, but I was frightened at what her reaction might be. A lot depended on it. I took a deep breath and let it out before moving on to the beach. I saw a small group of women lying out, but Janet wasn't with them. I moved farther down the beach and smiled when I finally found her.

Janet was bending down and picking up a seashell. She rinsed it in the ocean and then stared out over the water. She was just as beautiful as I remembered, but her eyes looked sad and wistful. Seeing her woke up feelings I thought long dead. I knew I loved her, but I'd forgotten what having her near did to me.

I continued to look at her and noticed that her hair was shorter. I frowned when I saw that the bathing suit she was wearing did nothing for her. She was still beautiful to me, but Tom was right. She wasn't taking care of herself. Janet did look older.

"Hello Janet," I said warmly as I walked up to her.

She looked up and her eyes grew big for a moment, but that was the only outward reaction at first.

"Hello," she said carefully.

"Long time no see," I said, knowing it was a cliché, but unsure of what else to do or say.

"Two years," she nodded. "Seven since we talked."

"I'd like to talk to you now," I said carefully.

"It's too late for that," she sighed, standing slowly.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why, he asks," she said with a shake of her head. "Because..."

"Janet!" a woman's voice said from behind me. "We were worried about you."

"Yeah," another woman said. "But if I'd known you were picking up a guy, I'd still be lying down and working on my tan."

I turned and saw the three women I noticed earlier as I came onto the beach. I guess they were the friends Janet came down with.

"I'm not picking up a guy!" Janet snapped. "This is my..."

"Old boyfriend," I interjected.

"You two dated?" the short, dark haired woman asked. She was the first woman who spoke.

"I wouldn't call it that," Janet replied. I held my breath to see if she would go along with my little white lie. "We were friends growing up, but we never really dated."

"Then what do you call what happened the night of your brother's wedding?" I asked, not willing to let it go at that.

"A mistake," Janet said succinctly.

"Hmm," the dirty blond grinned. "What exactly did happen that night?" I didn't recognize her voice so the second speaker was the taller brunette.

"Something that obviously meant more to me than her," I answered sadly. Janet gave me an odd look.

"Yeah," she snorted. "It meant so much to you that you haven't called me in seven years."

"Your family hates me!" I snapped in reply. "We agreed not to see each other anymore."

"Not all my family hates you," Janet said. "In fact, my aunt and uncle treat you like a son. Although, I did hear that my brother gave you a black eye when he found out about us."

Suddenly, I had a hard time not laughing. The whole conversation was so surreal. At least Janet was going along with it. That had to count for something.

"That was seven years ago," I smiled. "I'm sure he's calmed down since then."

"I wouldn't count on it," Janet replied. "In fact, he'd probably give you another if he found out you were talking to me."

"I doubt it," I said confidently, but didn't explain further. Janet looked at me and frowned. I ignored her and looked toward her friends. I introduced myself and listened as they told me their names.

"Marie," the taller brunette said with a smile.

"Dayna," the blond added.

"Helen," the third woman offered.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all ladies," I smiled. "How would you all like drink? My treat?"

"Wait a minute..." Janet began, but Dayna cut her off.

"Shush!" she joked. "Never turn down a free drink when there is no strings attached."

"Who said there's no strings?" Janet frowned. "You don't know him. He's a sneaky one."

"Me?" I asked innocently. "If I remember correctly, you were the one who jumped me first!"

"I did not!" Janet cried, but her friends were already laughing.

"Alright Janet!" Marie said.

"It's too bad Michelle couldn't come," Helen said. "I'm sure she could share quite a few interesting stories about these two."

'Thank God she didn't!' I thought. 'Michelle knows I'm Janet's cousin!'

"Her baby is due in a couple of weeks," Janet explained.

"Her and Franky still having kids like crazy?" I asked with a shake of my head.

"This is their sixth one," Dayna said, sounding amazed.

"We can catch up while you ladies drink," I smiled and led them to the tiki bar on the beach. They each ordered their drink and I added a soda to the order before paying.

"To early in the day for a real drink?" Marie asked.

"I don't drink anymore," I said offhandedly.

"That's new," Janet commented, meeting my gaze. I smiled and shrugged, but I thought she guessed the truth.

"So are the gray patches on my temples," I joked.

"I think they make you look sexy," Marie said with a smile after taking a sip of her drink.

"One more drink and you'll think every guy in the place look sexy," Helen said, rolling her eyes.

"Well, excuse me miss prim and proper," Marie said. "Not all of us are old married women!"

"I'm two years younger than you!" Helen retorted.

"You certainly don't act it!" Marie snapped.

"Forgive them," Dayna sighed. "They're always like this. Helen has the morals of a cloistered nun while Marie... well Marie doesn't have any at all."

"I'm surprised they stay friends," I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"We don't, not really," Marie said with a shrug.

"But we don't have to," Helen replied. "We're sisters."

"And both my friends," Janet put in. "And since we're here because of my birthday, cut it out and drink your drinks."

"Your birthday?" I asked. "Really?" Of course, I knew the next day was her birthday, but I figured I'd have fun with her.

"Don't even try it," Janet said. "You've always been good with dates and names."

"Okay," I admitted. "In that case, do you want your gift now or tomorrow?"

"Do you always carry a present for me around with you this time of the year?" Janet asked with a frown. "I mean it's not like you knew I'd be here."

"Maybe his idea of a present..." Marie began, but her sister cut her off.

"Get your mind out of the gutter!" Helen put in.

"Will you two cut it out!" Dayna cried in annoyance. Janet and I were too busy laughing.

"So what exactly is this present?" Marie asked, pointedly ignoring Dayna and Helen.

"I can't tell you," I smiled. "That would ruin the surprise!"

"You don't have a present for me," Janet insisted. "We just bumped into each other ten minutes ago!"

"What do you think the odds are of two people bumping into each other twice in two years while on vacation?" I asked rhetorically.

"You knew she'd be here," Helen smiled. I nodded.

"Who told you?" Dayna asked.

"Her brother Tom," I replied. I watched the surprise in Janet's expression blossom.

"So I guess he didn't give you another black eye!" Marie laughed.

"No," I answered, but I was looking at Janet. "Actually, he tracked me down and wanted me to come back to the east coast for a visit."

"Why would he do that?" Janet asked in confusion.

"Simple," I shrugged. "He was worried about you."

"So then how did you end up here?" Dayna asked. I looked away from Janet and smiled at the blond.

"Janet's mother really hates me!" I replied. "I didn't want to face her. Tom's wife Tina came up with the idea of my meeting Janet during vacation after I told her we nearly bumped into each other two years ago during previous vacations."

"I remember," Janet put in. "You were too busy to say hello. I guess the woman..."

"She wasn't the reason why I didn't say hello," I interjected. "I didn't want to impose on you and your daughter."

"My daughter?" Janet exclaimed.

"That's what I thought at the time," I shrugged. "Tommy told me that it was actually his daughter when I saw him, but that was only three months ago."

"What ever happened with that woman?" Janet asked. "She seemed to really care about you."

"Samantha?" I frowned. "We broke up not long after returning from that vacation. She deserved a man who could love her with his whole heart. Seeing you made me realize that it wasn't me."

"I'm sorry," Janet said. She sounded serious. I shrugged.

"Oh! How romantic!" Helen sighed. I swallowed hard. I don't know why I didn't wait until Janet and I were alone to tell her all this. I guess I was afraid I wouldn't get the chance.

"So now what?" Marie asked, breaking the silence that followed. "You've followed her on vacation. What's next?"

"I have no idea," I shrugged and smiled. "I hadn't thought that far." Okay, it wasn't the truth, but I didn't want to go into any detail of my plans.

"A nice dinner with just the two of you would be nice," Dayna smiled. "You know, just to talk about old times."

"Sounds good to me," I said quickly.

"Not so fast!" Janet put in. "I'm here on vacation with my friends. I have no intention of dumping them just because..."

"Oh nonsense!" Helen interjected. "Dump away! We can certainly fend for ourselves for one meal."

"No," Janet insisted in a tone I recognized. She wasn't going to give in.

"How about lunch?" I offered. "Let me take you out to lunch and I'll have you back in time for whatever dinner plans you ladies have."

"Oh go ahead!" Marie insisted. "We're just going to hang out by the pool and beach anyway. If it goes badly you can meet us here."

Janet tried to argue, but with all three ladies on my side she eventually gave in. We chatted with the others for a few minutes longer before we both went to our rooms to get dressed.

We met in the hotel lobby not long afterward. Janet was wearying a sundress. It was pretty, but I frowned when I saw it. I recognized it. She had it for years. I again remembered Tom and Tina's remarks about Janet not really taking care of herself.

I was happy to see that she put on a little makeup. Janet's beauty was natural enough not to need much in the way of cosmetics, but it was nice to see her making the effort.

"Are you hungry yet?" I asked.

"No, not really," she replied. "Why?"

"Because I'd like to go shopping first."

"Shopping?" she asked. "What for?"

"Why? Part of your birthday present of course!" I grinned. "Actually, I owe you seven years of presents and since this hotel has a spa, why don't you let me buy you a complete wardrobe and makeover."

"You can't be serious?" she asked.

"Why not?" I shrugged. "You're a beautiful woman. You should dress and look the part."

"Is this your way of saying I don't look good?" she asked.

"Are you crazy!" I exclaimed. "You're still the most beautiful woman I've ever met!"

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,336 Followers