All Comments on 'Two Bridesmaids'

by HuckPilgrim

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
So well-written

Very well done. Succinct where it needed to be succinct. Enjoyed your style.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor
Thank you!

I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. It's very encouraging to me.

e1nherjare1nherjarover 9 years ago
Unique!

Unique story, with some great insights, which i find rarely in a story!

Thank you!

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor
Thank you e1nherjar!

I've been trying to come up with more likeable characters in my stories. In this, I especially like the second half where the tables get turned for Walt, who is sort of sketchy dude.

soflabbwlvrsoflabbwlvrover 9 years ago
You did it again

You keep writing stories that in concept sound distasteful to me, but I read them anyway and come away impressed. This one was short, bittersweet, and delivered a heavy impact. I have to say that you brought a unique twist to the Noncon category. This one will stay with me for a while. Very well done!

Scotsman69Scotsman69over 9 years ago
Tight minimalist writing

and a credible plot. Excellent. Well done sir!

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor

Thank you, Scotsman69! I'm so pleased you liked the plot. I typically do strive for realism, especially with noncom.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor
thank you soflabbwlvr!

High praise! Thank you so much. I know exactly what you mean about the distasteful quality to my stories. I don't know if I'm just going through a stage, or if this is really all I can do. For some reason, these kind of stories resonate with me.

One day I hope to do a series of stories about a single character, something like a Breaking Bad sort of person, where an ordinary guy discovers he's got this enormous potential for sexual pervasion. I just have to work out some of the details.

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I named this character Walt as a sort of homage to that show.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Your style reminds me of Earnest Hemmingway...

Normally I hate that Dick and Jane style of writing. Dick runs. See Dick run. Run Dick run. Hemmingway wrote that way, and I loathed it. Instead of being able to embrace the images, and be a part of them... you're forced to watch from above, and you're completely separated from the characters with those kind of clipped descriptions. This somehow felt the same, but different. It was almost like Sin City with the way you narrated it, and I found myself enjoying it even though I couldn't sink fully into it the way that I like to. Even though I was an outsider to what was happening, it somehow managed to captivate my attention. I'm still not sure if I like your style... but I liked this particular story... so I'll give it a solid 4.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor
for whom the comment tolls

Wow, Earnest Hemmingway? That's just an incredibly satisfying comparison, because, like, Hemmingway, right?

I think I know where you're coming from about the choppy sentences and the narration. For maybe the last 10 years most of my creative work has been in first person. I've only been using third person for a few years, mostly with erotica. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how to do a satisfying character, how to use the narrator to my best advantage, how to keep the plot tight and focused, moving at the right pace. It's a challenge, but I feel like I'm learning a lot. Your comments are very interesting to read and think about. Thanks for making them, thanks for the vote. I hope you'll consider reading more of my work.

AMoveableBeastAMoveableBeastover 9 years ago

I simply love your writing.

The lean, disconnected, stream of consciousness narrative works so well in this story. There is so much ugliness, so much beauty slipped into the observations. It takes place in that dreamy state that is social interaction in a place where you don't belong. Pictures, faces, names, all of it important and all of it, in the end, absolutely meaningless, coming at you, exploding in front of your face like flash bulbs. And lost in that terrible connection of moments are the choices you make, the emotions you feel--so easy, so hard, and then chased into the night to lie in a bed drunk somewhere while the rest of the world celebrates nothing around them.

A gorgeous story.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 9 years agoAuthor

AMoveableBeast, that was the most lovely comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to create it. I have been looking at it, and thinking about it on and off since I first saw it yesterday. It made my toes tingle and my heart soar. It makes me smile each time I read it, and right now I am in great need of smiles. So thank you, thank you so much. I'm very grateful to have you in my corner.

Dmitry1518Dmitry1518over 9 years ago
Not a fan of Hemmingway

This feels like there is no honest emotion in the writing, so mechanical and coldly narrated. Like watching a nature documentary and you listen to him describe how the snake eats the mouse or the polar bear starves.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
good

wish u would have went a little further with the mother but the wording and elements were very well thought out

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimalmost 8 years agoAuthor
thank you!

I appreciate the kind words. I can understand the impulse to want more with the mother, and I thought about it for a long time myself. In the end, I felt that Walt was too wiped out emotionally and physically to want to do more. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I've got a new story coming up in the next contest called The Dirty Truck. I hope you'll consider giving it a read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Good

Nice one. Although I didn't see the nonconsent part of this. Maybe I'm missing something. But all in all quite a good story

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 7 years agoAuthor
Thanks!

I appreciate the comment. I suppose Walt is a little reluctant, but consent isn't at the center of this story, is it?

AndreqAndreqover 2 years ago

Very well done. I liked this. I'm a little surprised it ended where it did, but just a random encounter. Sometimes that's all you get.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrimover 2 years agoAuthor
Thank you, sir!

Thanks for reading and commenting. I've been asked to write another part to this, but I haven't done so and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just as you say -- sometimes a random encounter is all you get. :)

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Great writing. Great story. Could be real. Thank you. I've been reading here for over 10 years, but this is my first time to read one of your stories. Excuse me while I read the rest.

HuckPilgrimHuckPilgrim12 months agoAuthor
Much appreciated!

Hey, thanks so much for your comments. I am so pleased you liked the story. I welcome you to read all the stuff I have posted here. I've got more online in audio, paperback, and kindle, if you're interested. Consider signing up on my list for new work (I don't send out many messages). You can find a link in my bio.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous