Una Nuova Famiglia Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Marry me."

Raegan smiled, her heart hammering in her chest as the words sunk in. "Okay," she offered a watery smile, swallowing past the lump in her throat.

*****

They hadn't talked business all weekend. In fact, they hadn't talked much at all. They'd spent most of the time in Raegan's bed, ignoring the phone. There was a hint of a smile on her lips as she sat on the shuttle Monday morning, the warmth of Shane's touch still vivid in her mind. She wondered how she would keep her new life from Reese. She closed her eyes for a moment…she had no choice. This wasn't a game they were playing. If she didn't want to spend the rest of her life in jail, if she didn't want to end Shane's life, she had to stay true to Shane.

Reese stepped onto the bus with a flair, decked out in a black cashmere coat (they had shopped for it until she was ready to drop last year), black pants, a white shirt and a gorgeous tie. He looked professional…well, actually he looked damn gorgeous. He handed her a cup of piping hot liquid, keeping one for himself.

"Bitch, where have you been?"

She turned to see some of the other faculty members looking at them and she pinched him when he sat down beside her.

"Will you shut up, these are our colleagues," she hissed.

He laughed, "at least tell me she fucked your brains out all weekend."

Raegan shuddered at the thought of the early part of the weekend, but forced herself to smile. She could feel her stomach tighten with a wave of nausea.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You look like shit. Are you okay?"

She swore to herself silently, "I'm okay, just a little tired. I'm not feeling well."

"Well sweetie, at least you're not pregnant. Look, your boyfriend got us this job, I think you can stay home if you want to."

She shook her head, ignoring his reference to Shane as her boyfriend, "no, I'd go nuts sitting in the house."

She sipped at the coffee he'd handed her. He chatted about his weekend during the fifty minute ride. She was relieved he loved to chat about himself so much that he didn't press her. She wasn't sure what she would say to him. She wasn't sure how much she could or should tell him. They were pulling into the school's parking lot when Reese turned to her and took hold of her chin.

"What's wrong with you? The kids will see through you in a minute."

She knew he was right. She wasn't herself this morning. She wondered if she ever would be again.

"I'm getting married." She blurted. That would explain the silence she thought, but not the haunted look about her.

"You're joking, right? That thug asked you to marry her? I'm shocked. A dawg like that willing to settle down? Fucking amazing."
"Reese," she teased, "your language gets worse by the day. Are you dating a sailor?"

He chuckled, but he could also see the humor did not reach her eyes.

"I thought getting married was a happy thing? Why do you look like your dog just died?"

She shook her head, "we were up all weekend talking about it and…and I told you I'm not feeling well."

He stared into her eyes. "Bullshit. You never were much of a liar. You'll tell me later, okay? Right now, drink that coffee and get yourself together, we have a few brilliant minds to shape."

*

True to his word, during their break he interrogated her. She wondered if the FBI could have done a better job. He grew more suspicious when she had no more news about the upcoming wedding. No date, no guest list…no details.

"You said you talked about it all weekend. What the fuck did you talk about?"

"Just the idea of getting married."

He stabbed at the plate of spaghetti in front of him, frowning. "Reg, don't bullshit me. What's going on? You're not behaving like a blushing bride. Do you want to marry her? Do you love her?"
She nodded, "of course."

He sighed, "then spill it. What's the matter?"

She bit her lip. She couldn't keep saying 'nothing.' Not to her dearest friend. They shared everything. Everything. But not this. She couldn't share this. She wasn't going to ruin his life…or Shane's.

"I can't."

He stared at her, pushing his lunch away. "What do you mean can't?"

Their eyes met and he read the intensity in hers. "I can't tell you Reese. I'm sorry."

They continued to stare at one another for a moment in silence. "I'm your best friend. What do you think you couldn't possibly tell me? I would never hurt you, or Shane. I despise her, but you love her so I would never hurt her."

She was rescued by the bell ringing in sixth period. Their advanced math class. She quickly cleaned off their desk as the first of the students arrived. He grabbed her wrist, "we're not done with this," he promised. She nodded, forcing a smile onto her face for the kids.

They were straightening up the classroom silently. Raegan could feel his frustration, his hurt, bouncing around the room. She glanced at her watch.

"Are you riding the shuttle back?"

She shook her head, "no—"

When Shane walked in they both turned to watch her cross the room. She kissed Raegan tenderly and Reese watched the couple closely, seeing the relief registering on Raegan's face. He closed and locked the classroom door and they turned to face him.

"We're not leaving until one of you tells me what the fuck is going on."

"Reese, I told you, I'm just preoccupied about the wedding," Raegan insisted.

"Sell that bullshit to someone else. You're upset about something." He turned to Shane, "why are you doing this? Is this what you want for her? To isolate her, to take her away from her friends, her family?"

Raegan recognized the signs of anger seeping into Shane's form. She watched the cold glare settle in her eyes. That icy glassiness in Shane's eyes always unnerved her.

"Reese—"

"No Raegan, I'm not moving from this door until someone tells me something."

"She made her choice." Shane's voice was wintry.

"She would never choose this." Reese countered angrily.

Raegan closed her eyes, this was not going well. She took in a breath. This was her first test. How loyal would she be as Shane's wife? How far was she willing to go?

"That's enough," she turned to Reese. "I'm fine. I don't need a big brother right now, I need a friend. And if you're really my friend, you'll drop this."

The words were said with a calm she didn't feel. Still, she met Reese's gaze without flinching. His amber colored eyes were concerned, she could see that, but they were also resigned.

"Fine Reg, if that's how you want it. You know where I am if you need me."

She could feel the distance between them. They would never be the same again. She realized that was the choice she'd made when she agreed to become a member of Shane's family. As she watched him open the classroom door and close it between them, she swallowed down the bitter taste of resentment.

"First test. Did I pass?"

She didn't mean to assault Shane with the question. She could read the concern now evident in Shane's eyes. Shane approached her, placing a hand at the back of her head and bringing her in for a kiss. The kiss was sweet, tender, filled with regret. It left Raegan breathless.

"I'm sorry." Shane said simply.

Raegan stared into those hazel-green eyes, filled with a fierce, protective warmth. She forced back the tears, leaning into Shane's form.

"No, it's my choice. I shouldn't take it out on you. God, that was hard."

Shane held her, stroking her back. Raegan reveled in the comforting feel of her partner for a moment before drawing in a reinforcing breath.

"Did you stop by to see Joan? She'll be upset if you don't say hello."

Shane smirked, drawing Raegan to her again for another kiss. This one was different…hungry. Raegan could feel her blood slowly begin to simmer. When Shane released her, she knew her body temperature had risen a degree or two.

"What was that for?" She asked breathlessly.

Shane winked, "for nagging me like a wife."

Raegan smiled, watching as Shane collected her belongings for her. They stopped by the Principal's office before leaving the building.

*

They were sitting in her living room, sharing a bag of Doritoes. Shane watched as Raegan graded the papers she'd spread all about her on the floor. Raegan was still flush from the make-out session they'd shared in the limousine. She was hungry for the feel of Shane against her. It would be her treat when she was finished her homework. She smiled at the thought.

The knock on the door had Shane on her feet in an instant. Raegan noticed the hand closing around her Glock almost instinctually.

"Yea?"

"Karin."

Raegan began to gather her things as Shane opened the door. She was heading into the bedroom when Shane stopped her.

"Where are you going?"

She turned to look at Shane, "you two need to talk, don't you?"

Shane shook her head, "no more secrets. Sit."

She hesitated. She wasn't sure she wanted to hear this. Still, she placed her things on the floor and began to grade again.

"We heard from—" Karin began.

"Did you forget something?" Shane interrupted, her voice hard.

Karin wrinkled her brow before understanding washed over her. She turned to the woman sitting on the floor, "hey Raegan."

Raegan nodded, but didn't lift her head from her work. She worked hard to keep the smug smile on her face hidden.

Karin started again, "we heard from Chino. Someone rolled over."

"Where is he?"

"Rykers. He's not getting out any time soon. Second strike. He's doing time."

"Fuck. How much did they get?"

"Actually, Chino had pretty much cleaned house. Only 5 kilos."

Shane nodded, "contact Sam's firm. I want him out. Tell her to work magic." Shane was silent for a moment, thinking. "Who took over?"

"Chino's second."

"Set up a meet. I want to see him tonight."

"Her."

Shane paused, "her? The second in command of the Crips in New York is female?"

Karin nodded, "his girl. Rumor is she slit the throat of the snitch herself. Watched him bleed to death."

Shane smirked, "set it up."

Karin nodded again. She glanced over at Raegan before continuing, "they found the body."

Raegan could feel herself tense. She knew automatically who Karin was talking about, but forced herself to continue working.

"And?"

"No leads."

Shane nodded, "his family?"

"Two kids, six and eight, and a wife. I sent them the gift, untraceable."

Shane nodded. She was watching Raegan closely. Raegan made no movement, no sound.

"What else?"

Raegan didn't hear anything else. She didn't want to hear any more about drug deals gone bad and people murdered. All she could hear was that the cop she killed had two kids, six and eight, and a wife. They would be suffering today. They would suffer for a long time. She was a bit startled when she heard the front door close behind Karin. She was on her feet seconds later.

"Is that how it works? We kill people and then send their loved ones money as if that will make it all better? Should I expect a pretty hefty check when you finally get yourself killed?"

She didn't know she was yelling, hadn't realized she was crying. Shane simply approached her and pulled her into her arms. Raegan resisted at first, but was relieved to let the tears rush from her. She sobbed against Shane, broken, trembling violently. Shane held her tightly, combing her fingers through her hair, caressing her back tenderly.

They remained that way for a long time. Raegan's throat was raw when she finally calmed down enough for Shane to sit her on the sofa. Shane knelt before her.

"I have to eliminate threats. That's the way this works. Nothing will make it better, but the money will make things a littler easier for that family."

"How much? How much when we kill someone?" Raegan asked softly.

"Hundred thou. For family, 250 thou or a half mil."

Raegan stared into those hazel-green eyes. "A hundred thousand dollars for shooting a man in the head while he begged for his life? A hundred thousand for scraping his brains off the wall? A hundred thousand for robbing those kids of their father?" She whispered, shaking her head.

Shane sighed, "that's how this works. It's them or us." Shane lifted Raegan's chin until their eyes met. "When a cop comes after me, he knows the risk. They know the risks. I know the risks. When I step out that door, I don't know if I'm coming back. That's my world." She paused, "that's why I didn't want you in this life."

Shane reached out to wipe away Raegan's tears. "I love you," Shane began fiercely, "and I'll protect you. But this is your reality now. You have to learn to handle this shit. You have to be strong, baby. If anything happens to me, they come after you. Understand? Like that woman taking over the Crips. You're next in line if anything happens."

Raegan shook her head. "I can't do this."

Shane smirked, "yea, you can."

Shane kissed her before she could say another word. This time the kiss was filled with heat. She let herself relax into Shane's arms. She needed to feel, taste and breathe Shane right now. Shane was her sanity, her lifeline. She allowed Shane to undress her. Within moments, she could think of nothing but the feel of Shane against her as Shane brought her to a mind-shattering orgasm before she removed a stitch of her own clothing.

*****

She no longer slept soundly. She realized this after she'd been with Shane for just a few months. Anxiety kept her from relaxing unless Shane was sleeping beside her. Shane wasn't with her tonight. And she worried about Shane's meeting with the new leader of the Crips. A female leader. A woman trying to prove herself in a man's world. So when the phone rang, she snatched it up before it could ring a second time.

"Hello?"

"Channel 4, right now."

She glanced at the clock, it was two-thirty AM. She grabbed the remote and did as Reese ordered.

"…found in a deserted building on 28th street and 12th avenue. There were no drugs evident on the scene. Again, a shoot out, allegedly between rival gang members, took place here around midnight. There are three dead on the scene. Reports reveal that female mobster Shane Miller had been in the building earlier this evening. There is no information as to whether or not she was injured."

Raegan's heart stopped beating. "Have you heard anything else?"

"No."

"Thanks Reese. I mean it. Let me clear the line."

She took the receiver to the shower with her. She dressed quickly in black leggings and an oversized sweater, pulling her hair back. When she stepped from the building minutes later, she was almost relived to see the silver limousine. Ronnie stepped from the interior before Damien could stand to open the door.

"Where are you go—"

"Is she okay? I heard about the shooting on the news."

Ronnie raised a brow as Raegan cut her off, demanding information in a crisp, no nonsense voice. She slid into the limousine, waiting for Ronnie to join her.

"Ronnie, is she okay?"

"She wasn't there. We knew they would try to hit her."

"What?" Raegan shook her head, wondering what she had gotten herself into for the hundredth time. "I want to see her."

"I don't think—"

"I don't want to hear it Ronnie, I want to see her. Now."

Ronnie paused for a moment before telling Damien to drive. Raegan handed Ronnie the Magnum she had grabbed from behind the kitchen cabinet on her way out of the apartment.

"Here. And I need you to get me a permit to carry something. Something lighter."

"Can't carry a concealed in New York City."

Raegan raised a brow, "I'm sure Shane has a way around that."

Ronnie smirked, "yes ma'am."

They arrived at a restaurant on 96th and Broadway fifteen minutes later. Raegan attempted to leap from the car but Ronnie grabbed her arm, staying her.

"Never step from this car before me or Damien," she ordered.

Raegan nodded. She watched as both Damien and Ronnie looked around before opening the door for her. She followed them into the relatively dark restaurant. There was a closed sign hanging in the window, but the large man standing out front let them in without hesitation. She noticed men, of various ages, sizes and shades of brown, all wearing shades of blue. Members of the Crips. Some were smoking, some eating, all were tense. She walked past them without a word, following Ronnie.

She could hear Shane's voice before they reached the back office and she felt herself relax just a little. She hadn't realized how desperately she needed reassurance that Shane was okay. Ronnie tapped on the door and opened it without waiting. Karin was on her feet, gun in hand, as was a gentleman sitting beside a young, attractive, cinnamon colored woman. Shane was sitting behind the desk, but stood when she spotted Raegan.

"Give me a minute." Shane tossed over her shoulder as she made her way to the door. Ronnie and Raegan followed her, entering the ladies room a few feet down the hall. Shane turned on Ronnie when the door closed behind them.

"What the fuck is she doing here?"

"Hey, don't snap at her! And don't talk about me in the third person when I'm standing right here! Reese calls me at 2:30am and tells me to listen to a news report about you. Three dead at the scene. No idea if you're dead or alive!"

Ronnie raised a brow, a smile pulling at her lips. Shane motioned for her to leave them alone. She turned to Raegan, her hazel-green eyes narrowing.

"How did you get Ronnie to bring you here?"

"It wasn't a request."

Shane simply smirked.

"Never again Shane. I get a call. Always. Day or night. Goddamnit!"

Shane nodded. This time she couldn't help but smile. "When did you start demanding shit?"
Raegan tried to return the smile. She let Shane pull her into her arms and held on tight. Her entire body was trembling.

"God, I was so scared—"

"I'm fine, baby. I'm sorry. I have to get used to reporting in."
Shane held her close for another moment before setting her aside, "look, I have to finish this."

Raegan nodded, taking a step back. "I'll wait for you."

Shane shook her head, "it'll be a while, go home."

Raegan watched as she left the bathroom, already deciding she would wait anyway.

Two hours later, Shane sat inside the small office, a cigar between her lips. They had finally squared things away so that she and the Crips were content. Both sides had to give a little, but they would work in peace for a while longer. She liked Pam. Pam would be good for business. She wasn't overly emotional and she knew her shit. She should have known Chino would only make her second in command if she was good, not because she could fuck. She turned to look at Karin and waited.

"She's smart. Good head on her shoulders. They're protective of her." Karin surmised.

Shane nodded. "Tell Ronnie and Damien to check in with Raegan from now on."

Karin snorted, "I think they got the message when she waltzed in here as if she owned the place."

Shane sat back in the comfortable leather chair, relighting her cigar. She puffed at it before speaking. "Problem?"

Karin recognized the warning in her voice. "No. I just think she should be brought in slowly."

Shane steepled her fingers before her, a smirk on her face. But the smirk didn't reach her eyes. They had gone ice cold. "Is that what this is about? You think she's bumping you?"

"Correction, she is bumping me. Just because she's bumping you."

Shane stood and approached the chair Karin occupied on the other side of the desk. Karin quickly recalled the words she had just uttered and swore silently to herself.

Shane leaned over her, her hands resting on either side of Karin. "Listen to me" she began in a dangerously soft voice. "You're like my blood, but you're talking about the woman I love. And you brought her into this shit, not me. Now, I don't want to hear another fucking word about it."