Unwilling Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
metajinx
metajinx
308 Followers

"I believe you would. I'll even believe you could, but that brings me to another problem," Jared finally replied calmly. "What about my pack? Where are they going to stay, will they be safe there, and what happens to them if I get killed?"

Hector smiled like Jared had said something intelligent at last. He shoved the last of his soggy fries into his mouth, chewed heartily and swallowed, then he waved for the check. "Your pack can stay at one of our holiday cabins next to the border. It's up in the mountains and at this time of the year nobody goes up there but us. They will be left alone as long as they behave like guests are supposed to. And if you get killed for whatever reason, I personally will make sure they are accepted into a pack of their liking. Sound fair?"

For a few heart beats Jared just stared down at his half eaten food, trying hard to process Hector's words. Maybe he was too tired to find the catch, but the whole arrangement sounded good. Heavenly even. Like a chance to finally relax and get their wits about them. If there was a flip side to Hector's offer, Jared just couldn't see it.

He put the fork down and nodded. "Sounds fair. I accept the terms like you explained them. But we'll need one day to sleep, rest, eat and calm down before I start my trips to your pack."

Hector climbed out of the booth and dropped a few bills onto the table. "Fine with me. One day for you, so we start the day after tomorrow. I'll call you with the details of where and when this evening, so stay near the phone. Now get your pack to the cabin before you drop down where you stand, you look like the living dead."

His soft laughter followed him outside, and Jared was left sitting there and staring at his plate. Only when the bartender grunted and put a piece of paper onto the table did he snap out of his trance and got up. On the paper he found an address and a phone number with 'Glacier View Holiday Resort' written next to it. At least the cabins had a picturesque name, promising to be a good place to recuperate.

There was nothing else to say, so he didn't. He walked outside and got into the car to drive the last leg of a journey he didn't want to go on ever again.

~*~

They settled into a holiday cabin far away from the main building. It didn't look like one of those small hunting cabins or cinder block huts movies sometimes showed, but more of a small, roomy and romantic holiday bungalow, complete with three rooms, a kitchenette, a balcony and a pier leading onto a smallish lake. Getting Darla into the house proved to be a challenge, her convulsions having given way to delirious, feverish resistance, but Rayne managed. He looked like someone who had seen it before and wasn't impressed. Jared was confident he'd manage whatever Darla was going to dish out, so he let them do their thing without interfering. One problem down, dozens to go.

They didn't have any luggage to carry in, and it left the three of them walking around looking confused and disoriented for a few moments. Harry finally turned and followed Rayne into the cabin. Jared could hear him talking to their new companion, then the sounds of kitchenware clanking and clattering took over, accompanied by the soft hiss of the gas stove and the soft murmur of voices.

Darwin had sat down at the wooden stairs by the front porch. He looked scrumptious even though the baggy sweat pants and Jared's sweater flapped around his lithe body like curtains. He was pale and silent and statuesque in his stillness, fixated on the cool, pale mountain sky. The bullet wounds had stopped bleeding, but the bite wounds on his arms and his throat would need another day or two before Jared would be able to stop worrying about them. Or other things involving his mate.

The need to go to him, to touch him, smell him, feel his skin had gotten nearly overwhelming at this point. It moved through him like a wave of adrenaline, similar to the almost painful tightening in his abdomen when he was aroused, but not quite the same. For a few moments he tried to fend off the instinct, but all he got for his efforts was a sense of restlessness and irritation. He was simply too tired to keep fighting.

With a low growl he gave in, stomping stiffly to the stairs and the huddled form sitting on them.

The growl also broke Darwin's daydreaming, and he turned his head to watch Jared's approach. There was still nothing in his pale face, no emotion, no life, no fear or joy. He looked shaken, exhausted, and fed up to the point of not giving a damn about anything anymore.

Jared hated that expression. It made him bare his teeth.

As soon as his shadow touched Darwin's body, the black haired werewolf leaned back, turned his head away and bared his throat, all without any change of expression. It was a submissive gesture, plain to see and without any wiggling room for interpretation, but Jared froze nonetheless.

"Stop that." He fought to keep the impatience out of his voice and managed to sound just crisp instead of angry. Anger wouldn't get them anywhere right now.

Darwin didn't seem to have the same qualms. "Stop what?" he asked with a level voice that somehow managed to hold a lot of blame.

"Stop doing that. Stop acting like the 'submissive of the year'. It's not you," Jared growled. At the same time he realized how he must have looked, stomping over, growling, baring his teeth, tense with irritation. The realization softened his face and took the edge off his anger, and with a sigh he turned sideways and sank onto the stairs next to Darwin. "Just tone the submissive display down, okay? I didn't mean it like that," he added with a hint of exasperation in his voice.

Darwin's eyes were ungracious, but he stopped showing his throat and sat up again. "Maybe you think you don't, I'll give you that. But all Alphas are the same when it comes to power. Once you got it, you'll use it. I'm just preparing myself."

"Why are you punishing me for something I never had any control over? I didn't choose to be Alpha, just like you didn't choose to be submissive. We are what we are, but we also are what we always were. Nothing has changed!" Jared had never spoken those words aloud before. It was funny having to defend something he had always despised himself, but somehow his problems had started to look insignificant and small the more he found out about the other side of the coin. About Darwin's side.

Unfortunately sitting next to Darwin didn't stop the itching in his mind, it just got stronger.

Darwin at least had the grace to look guilty, clueless to Jared's plight. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. It just irks me to know that you wouldn't change what I am if you could. That you like me being submissive even though I hate it so much." He was silent for a moment, but it was a thick, desperate silence, filled with unspoken words. Then a wave of helpless anger washed over his face, disappearing as quick as it had come.

Darwin husked, "I hate even more how much I like doing... these things. It gives me pleasure to show you my throat, it feels almost electrifying to see you react to it. To see you soften and calm down. It's a rush that I could get addicted to, and that frightens me even more."

Jared held his breath for a moment, trying to digest those revelations. His body took some time to decide between the rush of sudden lust boiling up at the thought of Darwin getting pleasure from submitting to him, and the pang of surprise that submitting did actually bring pleasure instead of just being an instinct you simply followed. Dominating other werewolves held perverse pleasure for him, pleasure that was so intimate and private that he wouldn't talk about it to anyone but Darwin, but he had never thought about the experience from another point of view.

Another wave of prickling need rushed over his back and along his arms right into his fingertips, and this time the intensity was enough to make the sensation almost painful.

He must have made some kind of noise, because Darwin's face changed to a probing glance. "Are you hurt?" he asked cautiously.

Darwin's worry fueled the need to touch him. Jared whimpered, slowly scooting closer to him, slow enough to give him a chance to flee if he wanted to. The smell of wounds, blood, exhaustion, cheap gas station soap and Darwin's unique smell filled Jared's head until he felt dizzy with sensory overload, and had to close his eyes for a moment.

"Jared, look at me!" Darwin commanded, and touched his shoulder. "Are you hurt?"

That one small touch was enough to break down the last of Jared's self-restraint. A soft sound escaped his throat, then he rushed forward and wrapped both arms around Darwin's body, very careful not to press down on his wounds, not to move him too much, but desperate to get as much body contact as possible.

The feeling of Darwin's lithe form against his own made him shiver with relief. He made another sound low in his throat, dangerously similar to a contented huff, and nearly missed the small relieved sigh coming from the man in his arms. He didn't dare comment on it, but smiled silently. Maybe he wasn't the only one on edge. Maybe his mate just hid it better.

"Now I'm not hurt anymore," he whispered, not even trying to keep the satisfaction out of his voice.

"That's good. So, are you going to say something in return?" It was hard to be sure, but Darwin sounded better than before. Maybe he really felt it too, that strange need to be close, the irritation when they were apart, all of it.

Jared mulled it over, allowing his hand to stroke Darwin's flank just a little, enough not to spook him and ruin the moment.

"I would, but..." He let the word trail off, turned his head and rubbed his nose against the crook of Darwin's neck, "... there is nothing to say. I wouldn't change you for the world, sorry. You are perfect. Perfect for me."

He meant it, and with those words spoken aloud a mixture of anger and joy rippled through him. Darwin didn't reply though. For a second Jared feared they would argue again, but then Darwin sighed and stood up.

Jared clung to him until they both were on their feet again, then he let go. The itching didn't return, a good sign.

"I think Harry is trying to cook dinner. If you don't want to go hungry, we should intercept," Darwin said, and this time his voice sounded light and humorous, almost happy.

Jared returned the small smile playing on Darwin's lips as he climbed the five steps behind him. They were safe, at least for the time being, and regardless of the things that had brought them here, Jared was content with the world.

~*~

~*Darwin*~

All the worries and troubles from before vanished the moment Jared hugged him. The jock rubbed his face against Darwin like a big cat, filling Darwin's nose with his scent and his mind with that powerful, calming presence. The feeling titillated him, entrancing in its power, and coming to him so naturally he didn't even notice the change. A second before he had felt threatened and lonely and subdued, and suddenly he let this... this stranger, for lack of a better word, cuddle him like a life-sized teddy bear. And he was content letting him do it.

When they finally broke the connection to stand up Darwin had to remind himself of the things he had just said. How he hated his reaction. How he was sure Jared wouldn't respect him anymore, now that he acted like the submissive he was. He still doubted Jared's reassurances, but he felt better. Not perfect, but better.

"I think Harry is trying to cook dinner. If you don't want to go hungry, we should intercept."

He turned and trotted up the wooden stairs. Jared was following close enough Darwin felt his breath on the back of the neck, but he didn't comment on it. He liked having him this close, but he wasn't going to admit it out loud.

Darwin opened the door and started to step inside, but the view right in front of him made him stop dead in his tracks.

"What the heck?"

Rayne turned his head towards the door, looking decidedly guilty. In front of him and encased by his arms and the kitchen counter stood Harry, beet-red and huffing for breath in a way Darwin recognized as an expression Harry normally reserved for the bedroom. They both seemed at a loss for words.

There was a soft snicker behind Darwin, but he didn't look back. "Are you pawing my best friend?" he asked sharply and stomped into the cabin, making a bee-line for the kitchen corner.

Harry looked panicked, but Rayne didn't twitch a muscle. A small but pleased smile crept over his dark lips as he watched Darwin come closer like a pale, dark-haired storm. It only vanished when Darwin shoved him away, being replaced by anger in the next moment.

Rayne shoved back, and his hand pushed hard against the open wound on Darwin's shoulder. The pained scream was just enough to put Jared into gear, but he didn't manage to catch Darwin before he fell to the ground, groaning in agony.

Holding his shoulder Darwin saw Jared's face scrunch up with anger through a haze of pain, and for a moment he thought the blond hunk would actually hit Rayne. And Rayne looked just as ready to hit back, stupid as it may be. The whole situation only halted when Harry whimpered with fear, cowering against the counter as best as he could, all but sandwiched between Jared and Rayne.

"Stop this," Harry begged with a shivering voice, his eyes closed so hard there were white spots on his eyebrows. "Please stop this, I can't take any more violence. Please!"

It did as much good as it did bad. Jared seemed shocked and ashamed when he saw Harry's fear, but Rayne glowered with anger. He looked like a car owner who had found a scratch on his brand-new Mercedes, Darwin thought, Harry being the Mercedes in this equation. Yes, definitely ownership, not love, not yet. "A submissive attacked me, and you pick his side?" Rayne hissed, and there was tension in his upper body that spoke of anger.

The tension ruined all chances of ending the conflict there and then. Jared stepped close enough to corral him against the counter next to Harry and got right into his face. "If that's all that's needed to startle you, you really should work on your self-confidence, my dark friend. That was a submissive who shoved you, not some big hairy dominant trying to push you around. He was trying to protect his friend because he doesn't know you, and frankly if he hadn't, I would have."

Although Jared spoke with a crisp, hard, but controlled voice, Darwin could see a vein on Jared's temple grow until it stood out like an angry snake. There was no doubt to his conviction when Jared added, "and if you ever shove my mate like that again, I will take it as the challenge it might be. Do we understand each other?"

Rayne tensed his arms until the muscles stood out in stark relief. He wasn't bulky or overly muscled, but it was enough of a show to make Darwin scramble backwards a bit. The air got hard to breathe as both werewolves let go of their tight control over their respective powers, and in a heart beat their presence filled the room to the brim. Darwin didn't want to lie on the floor next to them if they started fighting, but the pain had left a shaky, numbed feeling in his head and he just wasn't sure if he would be able to stand up.

"He had no reason to get physical with me! I didn't do anything Harry didn't want," Rayne growled back, and grabbed Harry's arm with one hand. The grip wasn't painful, but another gesture of ownership. That touch alone told everyone clearly, 'this is mine'. Rayne hadn't earned that gesture in Darwin's book, so he growled, although softly.

Jared grabbed Rayne's arm and pulled his hand away from Harry. "You haven't earned the right to act like this yet," he said firmly, echoing Darwin's thoughts like they were his own. "And I really don't need this kind of tension on the first day we are safe, so you'll keep your hands to yourself until Darwin," Jared pointed to him, "is okay with it. I won't have you ruin their friendship over your libido, and I won't have you stir up trouble in the first week."

Rayne looked livid. "You can't order me to-"

"Excuse me, the tomato sauce is starting to smell burnt. Please go somewhere else for your testosterone tango until I'm finished cooking," Harry suddenly mumbled, trying for cheery even with the slight waver of fear in his voice. It took the tension out of both dominants, much like deflating a balloon. And just like that the fight was over.

Rayne looked at Harry like he had been hurt, but he walked into the main area without another word. Harry went back to stirring the pots with now shaking hands, and Jared waited until Rayne sat down, then helped Darwin up.

"You shouldn't have done that," Jared stated softly but audible for everyone as he supported Darwin and led him towards what Darwin assumed was a bathroom. "You're not a dominant, and you don't need to play the role anymore. Rayne could have hit you instead of just toppling you over, and he would have been in his rights to do it."

Jared didn't sound happy at all, but it was true. It left Darwin angry and helpless but that didn't make the words any less valid. "Would you just shut up and let me sit down? I feel sick," he finally mumbled, but the words sounded as hollow as he felt. He wanted to crawl into a bed and sleep until the day was over, and it had only just begun.

"Fine. I'll check your wound in the bedroom then," Jared huffed and changed course. They both felt Rayne's eyes follow them, but the heat was gone, and with it that neck-ruffling feeling of clashing powers.

Darwin had no glance left for the interior of the bedroom Jared steered him into. He tried to sit down softly, but Jared had to maneuver him like a fragile old man to keep him from blacking out. When Darwin finally lay on the bed he was happy to be conscious. It wasn't that the wound was so bad, and the pain was already fading. It felt more like a deep exhaustion, maybe even late onset of shock, that knocked Darwin on his ass like this.

Jared did his best to work around his state, checked his wound and even helped him out of the sweater to make him more comfortable, but Darwin only noticed half of it. When the door finally shut behind Jared, he already was dozing.

~*~

When Darwin came to again he felt better. The sun still shone outside so he hadn't slept the whole day, and the smell of spaghetti and meat sauce wafted through the gap beneath the door, enticing him to get up and join the others. His shoulder still hurt, but it wasn't as bad as before and the bed rest had helped him regain some of his energy.

He felt positively perky, which was unusual in itself. He was never perky. Grumpy, sarcastic, forward and calculating, yes. But happy? Never. Something was definitely wrong with him. Listening into his own mind he tried to find out what had changed, but there was nothing, no answer echoing from the depths of his muddled mind. There was only the soft tug on his heart, beckoning him to go find Jared and relish the closeness he offered.

Pulling on his sweatshirt he stumbled to the door and opened it just enough to have a look through the gap. Rayne and Jared were sitting at the small dining table next to the kitchen counter, both working their way through a pile of spaghetti. Harry was nowhere to be seen, but Darwin could hear the shower buzzing somewhere in the cabin, and Jared's hair was still wet.

He tried to sneak through the door without being noticed, but it didn't work. As soon as he set one foot outside the bedroom, both pairs of eyes turned to him and gave him a once-over. Jared smiled, Rayne didn't. Darwin didn't hold it against him. After all, he was the reason Rayne's perfectly good evening plans with Harry were ruined. Served him right, for all Darwin cared.

Maybe it showed on his face because as soon as he sat down next to Jared Rayne got up and went to wash his dishes without so much as a second glance. Or maybe Jared and Rayne had had a good, long conversation about how to act around each other, and Darwin still had to have his part of it.

metajinx
metajinx
308 Followers