Wildflowers in the Meadow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

David piled some wood on the fire after the cooking was done. The fire brightened and flames danced once again. As they finished all the food they had made, David turned to Jane.

"Take off your boots and socks. Let me see your feet," he said. "I want to check them."

"They're alright, David," she assured him, but after spotting the insistence in his eyes she obeyed and bared her feet. She swung around to face him and deposited them in his lap. She adjusted her pack so that she was comfortable. Her feet felt good to be exposed to the open air. David was inspecting them, and his hands on her felt good, too.

"See, they're okay, David." He was holding one foot, then the other, the bottom cradled in a palm, his hand stroking over the top of it. It was sensuous and soothing.

"Why did I tell him they're okay; he might let go of them," she chided herself.

"I'm not sure yet, I have to inspect them some more," he answered sternly. Jane put her hands in front of her face to hide the smile that his false discipline brought on, but David saw her eyes dancing out of the corner of his eye. Jane allowed herself a deeper relaxation as she enjoyed his ministrations. David said nothing, just kept working and massaging her feet, each taking its turn. "Please don't stop, it feels so good," Jane whispered silently.

David slid his hands under Jane's pant legs and up her calves toward her knees. He passed his hands over the smooth flesh and began kneading the muscles underneath. Jane opened herself to the pleasure, and opened her soul to him at the same time.

"David," she began, "today while we were walking in the forest I felt something strange come over me. I felt that we were separated from the world, surrounded by a new universe. It was a strange, but good feeling; I wanted to be part of it. I felt it so strongly, but I didn't know how to tell you. Then you spoke to me and said exactly what I was thinking. It wasn't natural; it was better. I couldn't say anything then. I was too stunned. I thought about it for the rest of the day."

She he gazed intently into David's eyes, searching for a reaction. He kept up the massage on her lower legs but yielded no change of expression.

"I know," he said softly.

The fire flickered brightly, throwing brightness and darkness over them as it consumed the wood. The forest was like the fire. It cast shadows in regions that clarity had been assumed and illuminated corners of bygone darkness.

"I was not ready for this when we came here, David. I don't know if I'm ready now."

"A person is never ready, but may be called at any moment," David answered.

"I'm traveling inside my soul. I'm afraid to go on, but I cannot stop. A force pulls me in deeper each time I try to escape," Jane continued.

"Don't stop; don't be afraid," he calmly said. "I have seen inside your soul. You'll find no ugliness there."

His words drove deep; the blow forced the air from her. She covered her gaping mouth, too late to block the escape. Tears formed and ran down her face. His words were ringing in her ears. The chords awoke her spirit and it flew out of her, searching out David's own to join with it. She looked upwards to the heavens; it formed the apse of their cathedral. The trees of the forest were their angels' wings stretching to join the tips together in the holy space.

After the session of catharsis by the fire Jane went into the tent to prepare to make love to David. He was back tending the fire, shoveling earth over it for safety while they slept. Inside the tent, Jane removed her clothing. She tipped the flashlight upwards to illuminate the space, and hoped that David would view her silhouette undressing as he spaded the dying fire in the darkness. He had seen her many times, but on this occasion it was important for her to bare all to him. She knelt, nude, on the sleeping bags for many seconds, giving him ample time to trace all her curves: from the line of her head and jaw, downward to her shoulders, her breasts hanging firmly from her chest, would-be receptors of his touch, ending with the feminine curves of her buttocks and thighs. As the chill air of the night closed in on her, she slipped into the cocoon, waiting.

Jane would remember precious few details of what followed. She recalled how she lay motionless on her side listening to him work. The earlier words by the campfire played over again in her mind. Her eyes felt droopy; she was determined not to sleep. He entered the tent, slipped into the sleeping bag along with her, nude, as she was. They embraced, holding each other for the warmth of skin and spirit, a connection. It was pure and sweet, sensuous and sublime. Jane purged analysis from her thinking and allowed herself to be absorbed into the world of it. She longed for it to never end.

She awoke to a blast of light into the door of the tent. She searched for David in her arms, but heard him chopping wood outside. "Oh, no! She had fallen asleep before they could make love." She reached into her pack and threw on her clothes. She had to join him as quickly as she could. She glanced at her watch. It was seven in the morning. She stepped out of the tent.

"Good morning, sleepy-head!" he greeted her. He had a fire started. All of the cooking and eating utensils from the meal the previous night had been scoured perfectly clean. In the little kettle some water was boiling. He handed her a metal cup filled with black coffee.

"It's just 'instant', but it tastes good in the morning, just the same." He looked at her smiling.

"David," she began, "I'm so sorry about last night. I didn't mean to ..."

"Sorry about what?" David interrupted her. "It was a long day yesterday and it will be long one today, too. I'm glad that you got some sleep."

"Yes, but..." Jane started, but he interrupted her again.

"We were together, side-by-side. It was a great way to sleep. It was very nice for me." He stood and gently put his arm around her shoulder and kissed her lips gently. Jane had no doubt that what he said was true.

Through the taste of coffee, she could tell that he had already brushed his teeth and she saw that he had shaved. She wondered how long he had been up, and wanted to clean up, too.

As she made her way to the brook he called after her, "You might pick some more raspberries and I'll start the oatmeal cooking. We'll eat, then strike the camp."

************

The sun rose high by midmorning as they hiked en route to the next campsite. The temperature was rising. The rain of the previous day, combined with the heat made the forest floor humid as well as hot. The air was not moving. Their shirts started soaking through, but they trudged on. Every once in a while they stopped to drink water from David's canteen.

Few words passed between them as they labored. Many thoughts circulated in Jane's head. The experiences of the previous day gave her a heightened pensiveness. Closer to earth, she regretted the lost chance for lovemaking with David the night before, regardless of his assurances. The natural setting unleashed instincts, submerging the concerns of civilization. A lingering unanswered question, "Why was David's ardor not more insistent?" He had never held himself back from desire. That question, however, faded to secondary importance. She was more intent on finding an opportunity to press the action. She wanted to chase him until he could run from her no longer. She would ravish him and force him inside her. She would then imprison him deep inside her until, crying out in ecstasy, he poured himself out deep inside her.

"Poor David," she chuckled to herself, "when I'm done he'll beg me to let HIM sleep ... after he begs me for more." David didn't see Jane's eyes sparkling as she imagined all the ways that she would wear him out. Jane surprised herself with her primitive urges. "What use is convention," she mused, "here in the forest?"

They trudged on through the forest trail. The wet heat pressed down on them. Slowly, Jane's designs of sexual exploit gave way to a desire for rest and comfort.

"How much longer to lunch?" she pleaded. The sun was directly overhead. Sweat drenched them.

"Not much longer," he replied. They kept on pushing forward.

Soon, a faint whispering insinuated itself into the mix of forest sounds. At each step it became a little stronger. After a time it was clear to Jane that they were approaching flowing water. It quickened their steps. Without warning, the shroud of foliage gave way to a clearing. Through it rolled a creek, running briskly. The rocks around it were bare of vegetation; they were grey—almost white. They set their packs down on the bank.

"A good place for lunch!" David declared.

Jane went closer to the edge of the flow. The water was clear, like crystal; there were no weeds or gravel on the bottom. The depth was about two feet. It flowed over a bed of solid rock that the ages had honed smooth.

"Taste it! Go ahead," David urged her.

Jane scooped a handful and brought it to her mouth. It was cold and refreshing. The taste was so sweet. She took some more and savored it—the second sample was as good as the first.

"It's limestone." David explained. "The creek is spring-fed, and then flows to a pond down below. The limestone makes it taste so good. The underground makes it cold."

It was such a welcome relief from the thirst and heat of the trail.

"Let's wash off some of this grime," David called out. He was already disrobing. He was already naked before Jane had her boots off.

She watched as he lowered his body into the flowing water. His lean frame appeared so natural and strong. The water embraced him and he gave himself over to it. David lowered himself further and the flow washed over his face and head. He remained submerged for long seconds. Suddenly, he rose up from the water, standing in the midst of it.

"I feel like a new man!" he avowed. "Get in—you'll feel better."

Jane finally shed her clothing. She stepped into the water. The coldness shocked her. She tried to ease down. The iciness bit her. She tried again to no avail. She looked over to David who was rolling his eyes laughing at her. Water was still dripping from him as he stood; from his hair and face, down his hairy chest and legs. It dripped from his penis, reminding her of her desires.

All at once she plunged herself in, sitting waist deep facing the current. The water was freezing, but the sensation was energizing. She decided to match David and submerged herself, head and all. The water rinsed away any dirt or stain. She felt renewed by the cleansing and refreshment. She rose her head up to breathe and spread her legs apart to allow the chilling limestone water to flow against her center. Jane spread her lips apart with two fingers and allowed the babbling current to caress her. The intoxicating impulses overtook her consciousness, so that she was entirely enveloped in the essence of the cold cleansing water, the cooling of her body that had been so hot and tired, and the gentle pounding of the current on her clitoris. It was hard to leave the entrancing flow.

"You better come on out before you freeze," she heard David calling, bringing her back to reality. He was sunning himself on the bare, hot rocks, almost dry. Jane grudgingly emerged from the cold bath. Jane lay down next to him to do the same. The sun became her friend as it warmed and dried her. Bare skin rested on the warm stones. Her thoughts turned to her naked lover lying nearby and her earlier plans of sex. Jane rolled onto her side to survey his body and was reminded why he excited her. He was silent, but she knew that he was not sleeping.

"I'll tease him first," she thought.

She arose and walked slowly back to the creek. She looked back and saw him avert his eyes too late. Jane lined herself up so that the back of her was directly in David's line of sight. She could feel his eyes all over her heart-shaped cheeks. She slowly bent to her knees, and then thrust her hands to the bed of the creek to brace herself. Jane's face was nearly touching the surface of the water, and her backside was high in the air. She remained there on display to David, casually drinking from the creek, until she was certain that he drank his fill of the alluring display.

Jane stood, turned and walked slowly to David. She knelt beside him, bent and kissed his mouth. He hadn't erected yet, she wondered why, but she would be sure to change that soon. She leaned over him so that her breasts rested on his chest. Still David did not move. She bent her head lower so that her lips brushed his earlobe.

"I want you," she whispered into his ear in a husky voice. "I can't wait any more."

Jane straddled him. Their warm skin, just cleaned from the bath in the creek pressed each other's. David reached his arms over her and kissed her. Jane's excitement grew.

"You'll have to wait a little longer," he told her. "We have to get dressed and get moving again."

"What?" Jane was startled and confused. "No, I need you now!" She he pressed herself down at him again and she could feel him hardening beneath her, in spite of his words.

David pushed her gently back.

"Those clouds gathering up there mean rain soon. We've got to get moving to make it to our campsite and set up. If we don't get moving now, we'll get caught in the open." He explained.

"Ohhh! I don't believe it. I thought that you were the horny one," she protested.

"Sorry, Jane. That's the way it is. Nice view, though." David was laughing as Jane let out some angry sounds in protest. "Give me a raincheck for later, alright?" He kissed her and she was calming as she got dressed.

David refilled his canteen and then handed her a granola bar and an energy bar from his backpack. It was their lunch. They walked and ate. Jane was sure that they could have 'fit in' a lovemaking session before starting out. What could she do? He was her guide.

After several miles of walking it was mid afternoon and the sky was definitely turning grey. David was hurrying along. A breeze picked up, signaling a faster movement of the weather.

"Let's set up the tent over there." He pointed to a space among the trees where the tent would fit. When the tent was up David took his camp shovel and started trenching around the tent. He dug deep, especially on the upslope side.

"Put the packs inside the tent. Then take some jerky out of my pack and soak it in some water. We won't be able to cook tonight. Take a couple boxes of raisins out, too. Don't use all the water. It's all we've got. I don't think there is a stream close by, and we won't have time to search before the rain starts."

Jane bent to the task as David continued his trenching. After a while he had a moat constructed that would drain any runoff away from the tent. Jane was waiting for him inside. The backpacks were stowed and the sleeping bags rolled out for them to sit on. As David got situated, a rumble of thunder sounded ominous in the distance as the rain started to pelt the side of the tent.

"I guess you knew what you were talking about when you said it was going to rain," Jane said sheepishly. "Will we be alright in here?"

"I think so," said David. The tent is anchored well and the trenching should take care of whatever rain falls. The trees will help block the wind. I'll check on things later, just in case. Don't worry."

"What about the lightning?" she asked

"The trees are a lot taller than we are. They'll take care of it."

"What if a tree gets hit and falls on us?" Jane was a little scared and covering her bases.

"You worry too much. Let's eat."

They shared the strips of jerky. Jane had never eaten it. It wasn't her first choice, but it wasn't bad considering how hungry she was. Outside, the storm raged harder. The tent billowed as the wind blew, but it stayed in place and the occupants were dry.

"We're going to have to eat better tomorrow." David said. We've been spending many more calories than we've been taking in. There's a small town not far from here, Irvine Mills. They must have a general store. We'll walk down there tomorrow and buy supplies."

"I could take more weight in my pack than you started me out with." Jane volunteered. David nodded approval.

We'll bring it back to this campsite and stay tomorrow night. Then we'll start back. We'll retrace our steps. Then, our five days will be over."

"I wouldn't mind another chance at you at the limestone creek," Jane said, giving him a seductive look. "You won't refuse me twice!"

They sat in the tent listening to the storm raging outside. It was hypnotizing. Although the tent seemed to shudder with each gust of wind, they became accustomed to it and the tent gained their confidence as time passed. After a while the thunder and lightning faded away. The storm slowed to a steady rain. David checked the flow of rainwater around the tent in the channels that he dug and judged it in good shape. By that time, darkness had fallen.

The two sat huddled in the tent. The temperature had fallen and the dampness in the air brought a chill. The dinner of jerky and the raisin desert had been consumed. It wasn't satisfying like the fish and rice of the previous night, but enough to provide minimum nourishment. They decided to enclose themselves within the sleeping bags, fully clothed.

"This isn't very good for love making," Jane observed. She wasn't usually so blunt, but in the new environment old rules seemed to not matter. David said nothing. Jane turned on her stomach; David silently rubbed her back through her clothing.

"I really wanted you this afternoon at the creek," she told him. "Being there, naked with you in the sun and the water, sex seemed so natural. It was so hard not to carry through with it. I know now that we had to get the camp set up in time. Back there, it all was good: the heat of the sun and rocks, the coldness of the water, the taste of it when I drank it. Making love with you fit so easily with those good things."

"I've never seen you more beautiful than you were at the creek," David said. "You could have been anything and everything: temptress, seductress, lover, mistress or mother. I watched you coming to give yourself and take from me. It was all that I could do to refuse you. I don't believe that I would be strong enough to refuse you again."

In the darkness Jane savored David's words, his attestation of desire. She would preserve her smoldering fire, storing its energy for future explosive release.

"I don't know if I can be any of those things you said, David. I am no seductress; I am to be your wife, not your mistress. I am certainly not your mother. I don't know what I am, except a person meant to be here with you."

"Maybe," he answered, "a wife is all those things rolled into one person."

"Maybe so," she sighed languidly, as David's continued massage on her back put her into a dreamy state. "I may possess the power to be all those things, but not to choose which of them I am. In the storm I felt like a speck of dust, blown by the wind with other specks, destination unknown, except by the Power that makes the wind blow. The creek, the water, and the sun all gave me a sense of power. The forest, the wind and rain, the thunder and lightning took it away. I'm not sure who I am, but more sure that I belong."

It was an outpouring of wisdom from Jane that told of newness, begot of what had grown inside her for all her years, sprung to life by the forest. David, as he had the night before, captured her with words of his own.

"I think that we are wildflowers in a meadow," he said. "We are sewn in the grass by a Being higher than us. We spend our time seeking out purpose, fulfilling it by being what we are; we find another flower like ourselves to join with, to make our presence larger."

The two fell silent. They had emitted all that the deepest recesses of their spirits had to offer. Further words could neither improve nor explain further. David nestled down next to Jane, his arm around her. They slept the peaceful, deep sleep of those who know.