Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers

Eric waited until Elizabeth resumed her seat. "Jennifer and Peter it's time to meet some of Blake's new staff," and he called, "Come in." Suddenly the room filled with smiling faces.

"Elizabeth, you're Company Secretary and know more of our workers than Jennifer so please welcome everyone."

Elizabeth introduced Jennifer and Peter, the solicitor and the accountant to everyone in the various languages. The Board members were astounded at Elizabeth's fluency and they could only grin, knowing that the teaching was going both ways.

With the introductions over everyone clapped and cheered Elizabeth for her successful efforts in breaking down the language barriers.

Jennifer recognized the Regimental Sergeant Major from her wedding as he stepped forward to speak for the workers.

"Madam Chair, Officers of the Board and Board Members. Everyone nominated me as spokesperson to thank you all for your generosity and humanity in bringing our families and us to Australia. Your kindness will never be forgotten, and because you are helping us make a successful Australian life for ourselves and for our children, you can rest assured that we pledge our lives to make this company a safe, secure and resounding success."

"Now, before you go on a tour of the properties, may I request that you join us in a little festivity?"

Without pausing for a reply, he ushered everyone to the grand dining room where the table was groaning with sweetmeats, savories and cakes. No one stood back - not the servants, not the stockmen nor the board members.

The food was just too delicious to ignore. When Peter roared "dua tea au" gales of laughter met his outburst and a servant handed him a glass of ice-cold fruit juice.

Later in her bike gear and following her parents, Jennifer leant across from her bike.

"Will I ever get ahead of you? I don't know how I will ever be surprised again about the way you have become part of my family? I love you so much. How can I show you how much I appreciate what you've done for Blake Pastoral?" Seeing the look in Peter's eyes and the grin on his face, she knew she had said the 'wrong' thing. Her husband was incorrigible.

"Can't you think of anything else?" she called behind her as she accelerated to join her mother at the front.

Sliding her bike to a halt at the new cow bails, she was astounded when her mother explained the production figures.

"Yes, we now have our own milkers for milk, cream and butter. We're aiming to become self-supporting and to sell any surplus in town to discerning buyers. You should've seen our first market at the local school while you were away. The Ghurkha and Tamil women in their saris caused a stir and the local school earned a lot in commission.

"The vegetable gardens have benefited from all the sheep, cattle and horse manure," she laughed. "We waste nothing."

With tears in her eyes, she turned to her daughter and smiled. "Jennifer, I've never been so happy in my life. In our little world, the changes have established a thriving community. We are genuinely helping impoverished families from Asia.

"I've done a lot of teaching and there's a lot more to do, but I believe we've all learned a lot. It's wonderful having so many happy smiling faces working safely here.

"No one dares come onto the property to take an odd sheep or two anymore. Our stockmen looked after a couple of townies trying to imitate the swagman in Waltzing Matilda and no one has been back to try their luck."

Jennifer was surprised at her mother's heartfelt enthusiasm and the new sparkle in her eyes. It was as though Blake Pastoral had been lying dormant for a long time and had suddenly awakened.

A motor cycle gang roared over the hill.

Jennifer couldn't air her thoughts through the approaching noise. What had her mum and dad done? Surely, could there be anything more to explain?

She knew they had all plotted and planned this together before the honeymoon, but things had happened so swiftly.

Yet her mum looked so vitally alive and her dad had a new spring in his step. Even Andrew had forgotten to tease her. She liked what was happening and she liked their plans for the future.

Ten motor bikes halted in front of her mother and the riders dismounted and removed their helmets. All grins, the Ghurkha stockmen waited to escort the party.

"The buggers can't ride horses yet they sure can round up cattle on those bikes," was Andrew's wry comment and he didn't bother to remove his helmet.

"Got to teach'em how to crack whips but they sure have learned how to make the cattle dogs work. The dogs sit behind them and snarl at the cattle, and if that's not enough, they launch themselves like projectiles and swing on the beasts' ears. The cattle have learned how to behave - just like school kids marching into school."

"Must get one of them to train a dog I can sool onto Sis when she annoys me. However, I suppose it would be quicker to tell Peter to calm her down. Bet he knows how." He threw his head back and roared his merriment to the heavens.

His laughter quickly stopped when Jennifer grabbed his helmet and shook his head mercilessly until his teeth rattled.

"Stop teasing me or I'll set Peter on you and that'd be worse than all the dogs. He's my protector, so if you tease me again, start running." The smile in her eyes belied the strict tone of her voice.

To Jennifer's surprise ten horses trotted up the hill with miniature riders urging them forward.

Laughing at her daughter's perplexed look, Elizabeth giggled, "I said I had been doing some teaching but I didn't tell you that Andrew has been busy as well. We have been busy teaching all the children to ride. They love helping round up cattle and they are looking after the horses so well. I believe they have a hidden knack of working with animals."

The old shearing shed had workers clambering all over it. They were extending the building and were adding a third floor.

"The third floor is for conference rooms," was Andrew's explanation. "I have been asked to lecture at some of the conferences. Don't tell anyone. They'll never believe you. Tiny and Blue are lecturers as well!"

Sauntering down the hill were two men - the same age as Andrew but so different. One, a walking mountain, could only be Tiny, and the other, Blue, had the reddest mop of hair possible.

"Hi, Jennifer! You look as though married life agrees with you. Peter, you look worn-out, what's this girl done to you?" The twinkle in Blue's eyes said more than his words.

Tiny pounced and ignoring Jennifer's shriek grabbed her. He threw her high into the air before catching her and putting her back on her feet.

"Despite being married you're still our Jennifer who used to play mud pies with us down by the creek and once went skinny dipping with all of us. I'm sure you thought you were a boy until that day. Strange you never went skinny dipping again, even if you were only five.

Blue took over and his deep voice was passionate as he explained how water recycling was in place, water harvesting and water management being a top priority. He even explained how the workers had developed drip irrigation on one of the vegetable plots with the water loss negligible. These plots were along the creek towards the scrubby ends of both properties.

Later, the cavalcade or motor bikes and horses crested the last hill where both properties merged with the Forestry Commission Pine Plantation.

Jennifer and Peter received the last surprise of the day. Below them lay a small, thriving village of fairytale houses, each in their own well-tended plot of ground with streets, streetlights, a small general store, a building - Fire Brigade was its sign - and a small four-man helicopter. There was a small community hall and a second official-looking building proudly proclaimed Blake Pastoral Hospital.

"It's staffed by a surgeon from the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and his wife, the nurse, is an obstetrics specialist," Andrew explained. "It even has a modern operating theatre and we have four other nurses we can call on. All are ex-British army Ghurkhas, fully trained."

Women in saris and others in pyjama-like samfoos were on the verandahs surrounded by little children who began running towards the bikes and the horses to get a ride. Happy smiling faces swamped them, and hands reached out to tug them into various homes welcoming the visitors.

Hours later they returned to the Board Room, where they sipped at the Boh Tea Peter had demanded he bring home from Malaysia.

"There's nothing more to display, Jennifer." Her father beamed. "We'll have to work very hard to bring our plans to fruition. Our Ghurkha friends will be stockmen here and will boost the guards in Sydney, as some of the Security Guards in Sydney have been less than reliable. Oh, did you like the tourist coach?"

Jennifer could see the pride and the new light in her father's eyes as he shed years in his enthusiasm for the future of Blake Pastoral.

"The ideas of this man of yours has kicked us all into the future, and what a bright happy future that'll be."

The meeting resumed.

"Now, Madam Chair, to finalize this informal meeting, I propose that the Board holds a house-warming ball here in the ballroom in three months. By that time, our Sydney friends will be able to join us, as will friends from Malaysia and Singapore. You and Peter are the hosts, but all expenses will be born by Blake Pastoral, as this party will be strengthening our ties with all our guests.

"At the bottom of the pile of papers in front of you is the suggested guest list, the arrangements and the menu - everything is set out."

Then, forsaking his executive's attitude and looking towards Andrew, he concluded the proceedings. "I believe," he said seriously, "There may be some announcements made at the ball."

It took Jennifer no time to slip back to her studies and into her work as the head of the legal department of the insurance company.

However her legal mind demanded to know when all the plans had been set in motion, and she was amazed at the new direction for the company.

In fact, she wanted to know everything and did not rest until she found that Eric, Andrew and Elizabeth had been working full time while she and Peter had been overseas. The three of them had worked closely with both accountant and solicitor as they tried to bring some sort of order to their ideas.

It took much longer to adjust to having servants, amahs and cooks in the house, even though they were rather like ghosts - almost invisible.

She missed Peter when he was out in the paddocks with Andrew and Eric, but she missed him more when he flew to Sydney to check on things at the workshop and to meet with Ted. However, his return meant hours of passionate loving and at least one sleepless night spent in pleasuring each other, so she didn't complain too much about his absence.

When she flew to Sydney, she was always happy to have Peter's company, and was delighted to slip behind the wheel of her Mini once more. Their quayside penthouse became their haven with many nights spent wrapped in each other's embrace.

Jennifer marveled that their sex life was becoming more and more intense. That she needed him was a fact, and that he worshipped her was without question.

Nights at the opera, at concerts or just playing chess were treasured events, and she always looked forward to the end of the day when they were alone and could relax with each other.

During one of their quiet evenings together, a phone call came through from a very excited Bill to say that Susie had gone into labour and that he was calling from the hospital. Jennifer was full of questions none of which Bill was able to answer.

Bill cut her off mid sentence saying that a nurse had called him back into the delivery suite, as the moment was very near.

"We'll ring you as soon as the baby arrives."

Peter had difficulty restraining Jennifer from rushing to be with Susie.

"This is their moment, so just be patient," Peter reassured her as he eased her onto the lounge close to the phone, trying to make her relax.

Two hours later the call came from Susie. Although she sounded exhausted, she was shouting with joy.

"It's a boy! Jennifer, I can't wait to introduce James William to you and Peter."

It was impossible for Peter to contain Jennifer's enthusiasm any further. Her description of the baby was incoherent. It wasn't until both of them were standing at the nursery window that they saw just how gorgeous this little bundle was, with his shock of dark hair. He was vigorously squirming as if trying to escape from the confines of the bunny rug enclosing him.

Day after day, Jennifer visited Susie and James until it was time for her and Peter to make a trip back to their home on the property.

Susie and Bill were delighted when Jennifer and Peter accepted the honor of being James' Godparents. The Christening was to be a family-only celebration in six weeks.

Back at Rocky Springs, the week of the housewarming party eventually arrived and they had returned to their country home to find that the family had been busy.

Jennifer was delighted to welcome Peter's four sisters and their husbands. No motel for them. They stayed at Rocky Springs.

Their Sydney friends arrived. Ted and Bob shared one room while Karen and Ruth shared another at Deep Springs.

The Commander, Susie and baby James stayed with Peter and Jennifer.

Baby James was lucky that the young daughters of the RSM became his constant babysitters. Susie complained that often they would not allow her back in the room except to feed him. Bill's laughing comment, "Half his luck to have all these pretty girls tending to his every need," brought a loving slap from Susie.

Elizabeth had a full house, Jennifer had a full house and the Shearing Shed Motel was full.

The Tourist Coach had been meeting planes for days and cars had been dashing hither and thither. Blue, Tiny, Andrew, Peter and Eric had been either collecting guests or conducting tours around the two properties under the watchful eyes of the security.

Two tables were set in the dining room and the buffet was ready as the first guests arrived for the party. People sat on the verandahs with their meal and their Thai and Tamil guests were impressed with the heat of the food. The Australian guests seemed more inclined to eat the baked lamb and the steak while the Chinese dipped into everything.

Peter offered to share his chilies with everyone who politely declined.

Amongst the happy crowd, the servants threaded their way to tend to everyone's needs and seemed to know instinctively what the guests desired. In the background, the RSM kept a wary eye on proceedings.

Slowly the guests began to drift away as they left to change their clothes for the ball.

Peter's Indian sisters followed Elizabeth and Jennifer to a bedroom where they helped them don their saris. Only when bangles covered their arms and tinkling ankle bracelets enclosed their ankles, their foreheads showed the red bindi and they slung the ends of their saris over their right shoulders were they considered dressed.

All four of them, resplendent in their gold brocaded saris of various hues, made their way to the ballroom.

Peter's eyes glowed in appreciation as he stood at the door welcoming their guests, and Jennifer could feel the heat of his love as she clung to his arm. He didn't need to say a word. She could sense that he knew how beautiful she was to his eyes.

It was only when Marissa, on the arm of Tiny, and Nicolette, on the arm of her brother, arrived that she found herself wondering... When a third dainty girl arrived on the arm of Blue, Peter mentioned she was also a ballerina from Sydney. Jennifer became suspicious, remembering her brother's statement that he was considering taking the plunge.

It was towards midnight and everyone held a glass of champagne. Ted stepped into the limelight demanding silence and attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Jennifer and Peter! Thank you for your attendance and for making this housewarming a happy occasion but..." The guests held their breath wondering what was to come.

Ted walked a few slow paces towards the center of the floor and turned slowly to gaze around the room.

Peter wondered why Ted hadn't joined a dramatic society, such was his flair for handling the crowd.

"But..." again he paused until a voice rang out.

"Get on with it!"

Ted gave Andrew a wry look.

"I have great pleasure," he continued, "In announcing the engagements of Nicolette and Andrew, Marissa and Tiny, Margarita and Blue."

Pandemonium broke out as Jennifer flew across the room into her brother's arms, hugging both him and Nicolette. Cheering and clapping interspersed with "For they are jolly good fellows" drowned all other noises.

The dancing continued until the early hours of the morning and the kookaburras had begun their laughing welcome to the new day before the last of the revellers found their beds.

Days of showing their guests around the property followed. The Board Members outlined their plans that had now been in place long enough to start showing signs of coming to fruition.

Dinners in Deep Springs and dinners at Rocky Springs helped make time fly.

Finally, the guests left.

They were alone and the day-to-day routine became settled. Parties of students stayed at the Shearing Shed Motel and Jennifer had learned the names of the workers, their wives and their children.

Elizabeth took pride in noting all birthdays, and there was always something special from the company on special days.

Christmas Eve was busier than ever before. The Christmas Service at the church was even more wonderful than ever as Jennifer walked up the aisle on Peter's arm.

Christmas Day was just as joyous, but the family gathered around the Christmas Tree included two new men, Blue and Tiny, their fiancées, and of course, Nicolette. Jennifer marveled at how her mother managed to control her extended brood, especially after driving Santa around the workers' homes with his bag full of presents for the children and their parents.

JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers
12