Wound in Time: At First

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sure, it was expensive but she wasn't one to deny herself good clothes. Besides, the salesman had guaranteed she'd like the way she looked. Mavin smiled as she eyed the suit-holder in her closet. In the back of her mind, she hoped Bellinda would too.

José had clarified that the event would mark the fifth anniversary of the gallery and Bellinda's twenty-ninth birthday. The art event would begin early in the day at three pm, and the birthday, a few hours later.

Mavin tried to spend the night with her usual routine of working out, showering, eating and then falling asleep in the middle of Star Wars. She was just out of the shower when her phone rang. Knowing she wasn't expecting a call from anyone, she ignored it. The caller persisted and Mavin looked at the caller-ID.

It was Zeke, her younger brother. She hadn't heard from him in a year or so, but she couldn't blame him for that either; she had changed her number many times to escape the press and some other nosy people. The phone rang again and Mavin answered it.

"Hey Z-man." She said with little excitement.

"Mavin! How ya doing?" Zeke said happily.

"I'm good, how'd you get my number?"

"Come on sis, you know better than to underestimate the army."

"Yeah true, so what's poppin'?" Mavin said tightly.

"I just wanted to hear from you, jeez Mavin, I didn't know you've become such a recluse."

Mavin sighed, her mind was fuzzy at the moment and she didn't feel like talking. "Listen Z, I'm not in the chattiest of moods."

"What girl's got your tongue this time?" Zeke said knowingly.

"What makes you think that?" Mavin said in an amused tone.

"Come on Vin, I know you. You were the same way with Rachel, Mariah, Alina, Sasha and need I continue?" Zeke said in mock exasperation. Mavin laughed for the first time all day.

"Damn I'm that obvious huh?"

"Got that right. So who is it this time?"

"You don't know her, name's Bellinda."

"Hmm, let me guess, she doesn't know what she'd getting herself into, right?"

"Yo, I didn't say that."

"But you're thinking it." Zeke said carefully. He may know his sister better than anyone, but he also knew not to rouse her temper.

"Ok, so what if I am. There's nothing going on yet." Mavin said, surprising herself a bit.

"Well, what happens when something does start? Are you willing to go through another jagged crack?"

Mavin sighed, Zeke was right. She had no time or stamina to nurse another self-imposed heartbreak. "I guess you're right."

"Right about what?"

"I ain't even gonna mess with her. That's the best thing." Mavin said softly. The shards of her broken heart escaping her chest and stinging her eyes.

"Nah sis, don't say that. Look, I don't know shit about her so you can't take my advice on her. All I'm saying is just be careful."

"Yeah, I'm already plotting ways to fuck things up." Mavin choked back a tear.

"Mavin, listen to me. You can't bottle up your heart. I know you're not a fan of fidelity. Shit, I don't even think you know what it means. But trust me, when the right one gets to you, everyone else will look stark. Don't hide, Mavin, or you just might miss her." Zeke said. He knew from experience how the mind of an infidel worked. He had been one until he met his wife Becca.

"I ain't tryna get hitched, Z." Mavin responded, "Cecelia was-" She couldn't continue as her tears began to fall.

"Cecelia was a failed experiment with baggage to boot. You can't think everyone else will be like that."

"I can't put Bellinda through that. And don't say shit to me, cuz it's bound to happen. Things will start fine, but I'll lose it one way or another." Mavin sobbed.

"Man, quit beating yourself up. Nothing's happened yet so you can't hinder yourself. Take things slow, see whether or not you can handle it and get some ass while you're at it." Zeke said with a chuckle.

"Hahaha, yeah, thanks for the mission briefing, General." Mavin laughed a bit.

"Anytime sis. So tell me, what does she look like?"

"Hot from head to ass, I ain't seen her toes yet." Mavin laughed.

"Damn, no wonder you're caught up." Zeke chuckled along.

"Yeah, I guess so." Mavin sighed heavily.

"For real Vin, get yourself together and live. Not every woman is Cecelia. Think about it."

"Yeah I know. I'm just a little out of it, ya know."

"True. Hey now that I can reach you, maybe we can hang a bit and catch up on shit."

"That'll be good." Mavin said as she wiped her eyes dry.

"Sure, listen I gotta go. Becca wants a foot massage."

"Aight, give her a good one for me."

"You can give her one yourself, as long as you keep your hands on her feet." Zeke laughed heartily. "Good talking with you Vin."

"Yeah, later Z." Mavin said as she hung up. She was feeling much better now.

But her doubts were deep-seated.

She got back to her routine but her sleep was capsized by dreams that looked like a badly done home video. She dreamt of the events in the alleyway and that blended shakily into the night she'd almost been killed.

Her alarm went off and Mavin just about fell out of bed. Her window was open to the chilling air of dawn and her naked body shivered slightly. She thought she could taste copper in her throat, she examined her neck but there was nothing save a crescent scar. She eyed her clock and seeing no reason to be awake at six on a Saturday morning, she went back to sleep.

***************

Bellinda jumped up at ten to finish last-minute preparations for the party. She'd gone shopping the day before, armed with the certainty of Mavin being at the party. She'd only met the woman once and briefly too, for that matter, but she couldn't deny that there was something about the woman that made her lustfully overwhelmed.

She had a sky-blue, backless dress that would hug her body dangerously, a gift from her father. The neck of the dress was a white, choker-type with some in-laid pearls and a white-gold pendant. Her shoes and bag were a matching pair of white leather and white-gold buckles. She'd also gotten a manicure and pedicure, as well as a full body massage at her favorite spa. She wanted to be fully relaxed and ready for the occasion.

She'd sent out invitations two months earlier and knew she'd be having about three hundred guests and patrons at the gallery. All month long, she'd been working with her friend Joann, who was a party planner as well as her occasional roommate. They had to get the gallery ready for the double celebration. The various pieces of art had been rearranged under new spotlights, debut-pieces would get the most attention. Everything was set.

She made a few calls to the caterers and the security people. She knew Joann had everything covered but she didn't want anything to go wrong, at all. She called her dad to make sure he'd show up. He was at a meeting, so she left him a message. She called José to find out when to expect him, and Mavin. He told her they wouldn't be the first to arrive, but they would be there. She sighed contentedly and got around to showering at noon.

An hour and a half later, she was ready. She would go to the salon for a professional haircut and be at the gallery before three.

**********

It was nine in the morning when Mavin finally got out of bed. The last hour had been about tossing and turning as her mind resumed its duty of wondering about Bellinda. Her dreams stayed locked away for the moment.

She showered gingerly, getting dressed in her new suit. Her black hair was a neat mix of an afro and a layer of dreadlocked hair. She would have to get her locks tightened soon, but not today.

She wore a pair of diamond studs in her fleshy lobes. A titanium, Breitling watch and her Police shades completed her attire. She looked in the mirror and decided she liked the way she looked. Her tall stature held the suit up flawlessly. She glanced at her watch, it was almost one. She called José to find out his status. They would be taking separate cars and would meet up at the party.

**********

The gallery had been decorated lavishly for the event. The walls hung with brightly colored banners that welcomed guests to the 5-year anniversary of Illusions. The artworks were neatly secured in place and specialized pieces enjoyed the attention of velvet ropes and more spotlights. Small signs asked guests not to take pictures.

A group of champagne-sipping art lovers oohed and ahhed as they gawked at an oil painting of two women in a sensual embrace. A brunette with Grecian features had her lips a breath away from the slender neck of a grayish blonde woman. The blonde had her hand in the brunette's curly hair. In their kneeling position, with one woman behind the other, both their faces could be seen. Their intense eyes were half closed. The brunette's right arm was around the blonde's chest, under her large breasts. The blonde pinched one nipple with her own hand. In the brunette's left hand was a peacock feather hovering over the blonde's obscured mound.

*********

Mavin caught up with José just as he arrived. It was about four-thirty when they walked in together. Jose was in a pirate costume, complete with an eye-patch and a novelty rapier.

"What? I'm being festive. This is after all an art event." José said when Mavin stifled a snicker.

"Yeah, yeah, you look like you're on a waiting list for a Playboy Bunny."

José burst into laughter with a trademark slap on Mavin's back. They made their way to the entrance, bypassing the line of guests and clearing the security guard with just a nod from José.

Illusions was under a magical spell of lights, music and chatter. Mavin looked around and almost lost her bearing trying to take it all in. Simply amazing.

"Would you like a drink?"

Mavin whipped her massive frame around to face a pair of soft brown eyes belonging to a young girl in a catering uniform, with a tray of champagne-filled glasses. Mavin smiled.

"Thank you," she said, taking one of the flutes. The girl blushed shyly and went off in search of other thirsty guests.

Mavin realized that José had disappeared. She shrugged and went around admiring the art on display. Many of the pieces were of moderately nude subjects with ethereal expressions of lust and desire, anger and love, sometimes pain and trust. Her eyes landed on the most prominently presented one with the peacock feather over the woman's mound. Mavin's jaw fell to the floor and her loins smoldered. This painting wasn't as heavenly as some of the others, but it was intense.

Mavin moved closer to it. The painter's wrathful strokes were more defined but the subjects remained graceful. Mavin furrowed her brows and examined the women's hands and the detail of pulsing veins and tense muscles. The blonde's neck was decorated with fading marks of her lover's kisses. Upon closer inspection, Mavin realized that the women were the only tangible subjects. From afar, they seemed to be kneeling, but up close they seemed afloat. Mavin drank from her glass as she became engrossed in the painting.

From the another side of the bustling gallery, Bellinda had just finished a mingling session with a group of potential patrons. She caught the tall figure inching closer to the "Essence" piece. She set her emerald gaze on Mavin as her heart raced madly. Mavin looked so edible in black and peach. Bellinda felt herself get moist just thinking of Mavin under her clothes. Bellinda began her journey toward her prey.

Mavin felt like she was being watched, but attributed it to the tasty champagne. She eyed her watch and let her hand slip into her pocket. It was about five.

"Strange, isn't it." A silky voice kissed her ears.

"Yes, very peculiar," Mavin said without turning. Her glass went to her lips and she drank a bit more. Her nose caught a hint of vanilla and her stomach fluttered. She knew drinking on an empty tank was bad. However, finger foods wouldn't cut it for her. Her eyes focused on the painting again. Something about the way it was done drew her. Mavin swallowed some more champagne and turned to face the woman with red hair and piercing green eyes.

"Happy birthday, Bellinda." Mavin said softly as she reached into her jacket pocket for an envelope.

"Oh my, you shouldn't have." Bellinda smiled as she took the card, her eyes not leaving Mavin's. "Thank you, Mavin."

Mavin cleared her throat and broke the enchanting gaze, going back to the painting, "Tell me about this piece."

"Sure," Bellinda said moving closer to Mavin. "It's called 'Essence', it's done in oil with heavy strokes and a radical technique. The subjects are intense with symbolic grace." Bellinda paused, letting her hand slip into the crook of Mavin's bent arm. "What you don't see or what may perplex you is the fear of the edge. It's ironically virginal in essence." She said with an air of expertise, "That's a secret."

"Hmm, intriguing." Mavin sipped from her glass, "Any reason I'm privy to this secret?" "Yes Mavin, you're my guest of honor."

Mavin smiled and nodded. "Would you like to know what I think of this piece?" She said, trying to steer the conversation.

"Absolutely." Bellinda accidentally hissed.

"Well, I would've said they are floating in love...but the fear you speak of reads to me as confusion between up or down, so they cling to each other. The edge is very tempting in that sense, and they're willing to fall or ascend together."

"That's a more romantic way to look at it." Bellinda said, admiring the side of Mavin's handsome face.

"Oh, I'm not much of a romantic," Mavin said as a smile tugged at her lips, "but tell me about the feather." She turned to Bellinda.

"It's a shy expression of torture, by way of the brunette's proud desire in the blonde's lust." Bellinda said with a smile on her luscious lips.

Mavin moistened her lips, "Hmm, I see. . . What inspired you?"

"How are you so sure I painted it? I mean, we have a few alien pieces here."

Mavin chuckled, flashing her white teeth. She licked her lips again and whispered in Bellinda's ear, "Torturous desire is an inspired form of lust...like passion." Mavin whispered, her voice deep and calm.

"Yes, quite erotic isn't it?" Bellinda gasped as she felt the hot breath tickle her senses, her pussy thrumming for attention.

"So Bellinda...what inspires your passion?"

Just as Bellinda was about to answer, Adam, her secretary popped up beside them.

"There you are your Highness. I've been looking all over for you." He chirped with a wide show of teeth.

"Hi Adam, you look amazing in that tux...you're the only one I know who can pull off a black and green suit."

"Why thank you, it's all in the accessories." Adam sighed, "You look gorgeous, especially with this scrumptious beau next to you." Adam said, looking at Mavin.

"Oh,...Adam meet Mavin, Mavin this is my friend and secretary, Adam." She said as Mavin extended her hand to Adam for a shake.

"Pleasure to meet you Adam," Mavin said in her deep voice. Adam trembled slightly.

"Trust me dear, the yummy pleasure is all mine." He said, with a devilish wink.

"Now, now go find your own hunk." Bellinda said, hooking her arm around Mavin's.

"Mmm, mmm, mmm, yes the night is but a babe. I'm glad you're having a good time, happy birthday." Adam smiled as he hugged her and bent to kiss both of her cheeks.

"Thanks Adam." Bellinda smiled, pinching his butt.

Adam left them alone.

"Would you like to hang around?" Mavin heard Bellinda's intoxicating voice tug her drifting mind back to shore. She felt Bellinda squeeze her arm gently. Mavin jerked to attention.

"Pardon me?"

"I've got to give a little speech that'll send eighty percent of the guests home. Would you like to come to back my place for the after-party?" Bellinda said with a twinkle in the deep pools of her green eyes.

"Oh, uh yeah. Sure, I'd like that." Mavin gulped. She became suddenly aware of Bellinda's firm breasts on her arm.

"I'll see you in a bit." Bellinda's said with a caress of Mavin's jaw. The tall woman could only nod. While Bellinda spoke to her guests, José found Mavin still looking at the oil painting.

"So what's cooking amigo?" he slapped Mavin's back out of habit.

Mavin didn't answer, she shrugged and sipped the bubbly fluid in her glass. Her eyes traveled to the main platform where Bellinda thanked the patrons.

"I can't do this José."

"Do what?" The cheerful man asked with a surprised look on his face.

"Cut out the bullshit man. Look, Bellinda is sweet and all but I have a way of fucking things up with women like her," Mavin paused to a curious look on José's round face, "I couldn't put her through my crap, especially because of the friendship you and I have."

José cleared his throat, "Ay Mavin, Mavin, Mavin. How many times did I call you?"

"Three." Mavin sighed.

"Good, so your brain is working. I know about your habits and I'm also aware of your feelings for Bellinda so don't try to deny it. She is precious to me and she's shown interest in you. I can't stand by while you, as my friend, stew in self-pity. Bellinda likes you and I know you like her, I can't let you throw away an opportunity to make both of you happy."

"José, I hate it when you say shit like that. I know I can't make her happy." Mavin shook her head.

"Oh come on, if I didn't trust you with her, do you think I'd be standing here pleading for her?"

Mavin sighed and rubbed her temples. "I'm almost afraid you're gonna pay me her dowry."

José just smiled. "Look, here's your chance to start fresh. Try not to panic, Mavin."

Just then, Bellinda made her way back to her Uncle and Mavin.

"Hola mi tio, qué hace ustedes?"

"Nada, just talking." José grinned.

"I've just dismissed the party, the rest of us are heading back to the studio." Bellinda said, looking at Mavin.

"Hope you don't mind me ducking out. I've gotta rest my bones." José said.

"Ah, you've been great Uncle, gracias." Bellinda hugged José.

"De nada mi hija. Have a good time at the party. Don't forget to take lots of pictures." José winked. Mavin laughed despite her effort not to.

"You heard that too, didn't you Mavin?" Bellinda said in amusement.

"Damn José, you're such a geezer."

"Oh, well quit tryna to pin your dirty minds on me, ya silly kids."

They all laughed.

***********

It was seven-thirty when the crowd began to thin. Bellinda suggested that she and Mavin go back to the house party together. Bellinda took Mavin's arm as she was led to the tall woman's black Mercedes SLK350 Roadster in the parking lot. Mavin held the door open for her.

"You look beautiful in that dress." Mavin said as she fired up the engine.

"Thank you," Bellinda leaned over the stick shift, where Mavin's hand was and whispered into her ear, "I'm glad you decided to come tonight."

"I don't regret it." Mavin said as she screeched off the lot and onto the main road. Bellinda gave Mavin directions to her studio apartment. Mavin drove quickly but carefully. In about twenty minutes, they were at their destination amidst a few other arriving guests. Mavin pulled into a free space and turned off the engine. She looked at her watch, it was already eight. She got out of the car and went to take Bellinda's hand as she got out.

"Bellinda!" Joann said excitedly as she pulled the birthday-girl away from Mavin.

"Joann! Oh my gosh, I missed you at the gallery."

"Yeah, I was doing a lot of running around. You know how it goes."

"Thank you so much, it was perfect."

"I'll say," Joann ran her fingers through her blonde hair and looked in Mavin's direction. "Who is that?"

"That's Mavin, my guest of honor." Bellinda smiled mischievously.

"Damn, could this day get any better?"

"I'm hoping it will."

"Well, let's get this show started then." Joann giggled as she caught a gaze from Mavin, "She's so. . . handsome!"