Young Mr Chrichton

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The full team was gathered to greet him. Renée said, "Please everyone ignore that a domestic relationship exists between Kevin and me. I convinced Harry (the producer) to take Kevin on because I feel he has a streak of creativity only just becoming exposed. Kevin thinks outside the box and has a masters not surprisingly in computer science. I've called this meeting with the approval of Harry and Glenys (the director) who have joined us to listen to Kevin. Let it rip buddy."

"Hi everyone. Renée sounds like an assassin doesn't she? Building me up big and that will allow me to crash down very big (laughter). My experience in TV is confined to watching it (some groans) and I have no organizational skills (more groans). Let it rip, said Renée. Well here goes. Raise a hand those of you who went to college and that includes university?"

"Wow, at least two-thirds of you. That's really great and almost guarantees me of your support. Renée and I have developed this concept and one program a month we will have a team of college students, three males and three females, cook off in a contest to produce the best main dish as well as the best desert. Three top chefs will act as judges. We begin with UChicago and then will follow teams from five more colleges selected by you all on popular vote from colleges within 200 miles of Chicago, restricted to that area because we are Chicago based. You'll each receive a list of forty-eight colleges to select the five colleges you personally favor. Each college will have a brief summary about it to assist your choice. Glenys and Renée will examine the poll result based on popularity and then choose the five to ensure we get a representative balance over the entire area, and to avoid the choice of only state colleges or only church-aligned colleges etc. Those forms will be handed out in a few minutes."

"I know from my own experience many parents -- probably adding up into several millions over the years -- worried about what their children were eating or not eating when they were at college, in many instances cooking for themselves. Renée and I were chatting about this and I surprised her when I said I could name three guys who were students with me who were great cooks and the best cooks I've personally known since leaving college. And that's what started this going... the idea of a cook off of top college cooks, with Renée as presenter talking to these top student cooks while they cook on the show and she'll also wander into the audience and talk to folk about their eating habits and bad eating experiences when at college. I for one never intend to willingly eat macaroni and cheese again, ever, and Renée has a similar reserve about eating spaghetti. Do any of you here have college food hate legacies?

"Chicken on rice."

"Noodles."

"Brownies."

"Pizza."

"Pork belly."

"Vegetarian anything especially hamburgers."

"Cheap meat undercooked and producing dysentery."

Everyone laughed and clapped.

Renée said, "Well thank you Kevin. You have been hired and we are ready to make headway and get the six college events programmed and then the six highest scoring individuals will cook off in something we may call, America's College Cook-off, depending what our legal department says. We may have to substitute the word student for college."

"Well that's all... oh Kevin has also suggested why haven't we produced books each season based on the presentations of our Celebrity Chefs? I'm astounded that none of us came up with that proposal, especially myself because I worked in book publishing before coming here. Well George has got our TV stations Promo Department looking at that. Thank you for attending everyone."

Kevin was disappointed with his starting salary but Renée had assured him it would grow when he proved his value to the TV station. He was told he could draw in big money if he fronted an IT program, especially if it attracted big advertising support but he pretended to vomit and gasped, "God no."

A week later Milly arrived, having sold her property with two buyers scrapping to get in and thereby pushing up the price until one of the buyers finally quit the bidding contest. Kevin went by public transport more than 40 miles out to the village of Shorewood where he waited for Milly to arrive, coming off Interstate 55. They greeted warmly, had coffee and he then drove her through the somewhat daunting road network into Chicago and to the apartment where Renée had arranged permanent parking for the Explorer. Four nights later Milly shifted into a studio apartment with lovely city views on the 11th level.

Kevin had fitted into his role competently and it was noted when he wanted assistance people jumped in to help and he had a knack of sorting out problems. Then when Renée went down with the 'flu the director asked him to fill in for Renée her instinct proved correct, Kevin performed admirably although not as smoothly or accomplished as Renée.

The Great College Cook-off was an immediate hit, so much so that it was decided to run the final at peak time between 7:00 and 8:30 and the show on that night provided the station its 16th largest non-sports local viewing audience ever.

Kevin was asked to front a new format IT program on Saturday mornings but he declined the approach. He did however accept a further offer to be co-producer of the new show, and doing all the legwork provided valuable experience. From there his unexpected entry into TV took off and six months later he was producer of that show and also the show screened two hours earlier called 'Computers and Kids'. When the ailing IT program was finally axed because of lack of advertising support, Kevin successfully argued that 'Computers and Kids' be increased to three hours on Saturday mornings and with the new computer games segment run by kids including the direction (Kevin's idea), advertising ballooned and before long twenty-three TV stations began taking the live feed and when the program won the national award for 'Best New Program for Kids' for a while more than 40 stations began taking the feed.

Renée announced she was pregnant and saw no reason to get married although Kevin thought they should. He was asked to lead the investigation into a new farm machinery program. It appeared to have considerable merit but unfortunately advertisers were difficult to convince although a major one supplying farm machinery round the world was interested to have the show sponsored under its name. That program idea was put on hold and Kevin waited for his next placement. After two weeks he was declared redundant.

Kevin was mortified but Renée was philosophical. "You are too young Mr Crichton and too inexperienced to be paid so much money and so the best option facing management was to let you go."

"Too young be damned."

"Cool it Kevin. Let's get married quietly."

"What?"

"I have been thinking about it and believe you being married will give you greater impetus to find gainful employment."

"Jesus you ought to know I don't think like that."

"Mom says I ought to feel the first kick of our baby any day soon."

Kevin stared big-eyed at Renée.

"I can't believe that is about to happen."

Suddenly he felt like a father, something that had been eluding him and he really needed to think in the context of having a family to protect and to nourish.

""Yes let's get married. Our kid needs responsible and married parents."

He took Renée home unannounced to meet his family who were gob smacked and were delighted to be invited to the wedding along with his sister Alice and her new man that had holed up with her five months earlier. They were also 'expecting'.

It was a very quiet wedding. It totally escaped the attention of the media including the news team on Renée own TV station. The couple had a two-day honeymoon.

During that time Renée said, "Why don't you pitch to produce a proper cooking show for one of our competing channels whose cooking shows are woeful?"

"Would you mind?"

"I'm the one suggesting it, remember?"

"God I'm thick," he grinned and received a quiet smile instead of sharp confirmation.

Renée was in just a gown and they were watching bad TV. As she went to change channels Kevin said casually asked was she interested in sex.

"I could be," Renée smiled, dropping the TV remote control and allowing a breast to pop out."

"Come over here," Kevin drawled.

"No you come over here," she murmured, drawing up her gown to show plenty of leg.

Kevin left the networks off his list. They would only say. 'Sorry Young Mr Crichton who lacks broadcasting credentials apart from a few shows. We suggest you look elsewhere' or words to that effect or implied.

By short-circuiting those rebuffs before they could be delivered he was into the real Chicago heartland of TV and his proposals would be considered sympathetically and with intelligence and insight.

Five rejections later he'd learnt otherwise. So he went to WWW-TV), biggest of the lower echelon stations. A guy who looked like Larry King's younger brother who was executive producer heard him out and said, "That's a well thought out submission. You have it in writing?"

"Yes on a memory stick," Kevin said.

Paul West turned up his nose and said, "That's not in writing."

"Yeah right. I'm in the 21st Century."

"Well I'm trying," Paul smiled. He placed the USB flash drive back on his desk and pushed it toward Kevin.

He stared at Kevin and something told Kevin to leave it there.

"If you're really itching to toss that digital script into your trashcan be my guest."

Paul frowned. "I might prefer to have my PA present it into a proper proposal document for me to distribute for discussion at my next meeting."

Kevin looked at the director of programming who also looked after new proposals. He decided to say nothing.

"Are you hungry for work?"

"Yes. That's because my wife is pregnant and I don't relish the thought of her being the sole breadwinner. I said I was made redundant because they had no further need for me. I should have said they thought I was too young for the amount of money I was receiving."

"And how much was that?"

"One eight-eight thousand."

Paul whistled and said, "Right you may go now. I'll call you."

"Yeah, yeah."

"I said I'd call you."

Kevin realized he might be close to blowing it. "Gee thanks Mr West."

"There's no need to grovel."

"Thanks Paul."

Kevin then experienced his own version of flash-memory. "Oh until we get the show screening and advertising and plaudits rolling in I'll be prepared to be both producer and director for $100,000."

"Eighty grand could sound about right."

"Then pay a street sweeper to be your producer/director."

Paul laughed and acknowledged Kevin's wave.

He arrived home at 7:15, the end to two tiring days of job-hunting. Renée greeted him with a huge kiss and she was flushed. She handed him a beer.

"I felt a tiny kick at 3:21 today and don't say I imagined it. I'm only into my 18th week."

"Jesus. It's moved."

"I called the clinic and was told everything sounds okay. Some women feel a kick around 16 weeks but 19 to 21 is about normal. How did you go today darling?"

"My final call was well faintly promising. The others were shit. The guy at WWW-TV said he'd put my proposal to his team but I don't know if I should believe that."

"Well believe that. It's all that you have. That station had a big share of the under 30s market and calls itself Hip TV which is a little old-fashion. You best watch that channel daily from now to gain insight ready for your recall."

"Yeah I'll look at it. Is it chicken and rice again?"

"No mum is bringing steamed fish over buttered sliced potatoes and spinach. She says that's good for pregnant mothers with queasy stomachs. Just tell me if you want steak or salmon when I say I'll do chicken rice. I find it rests easy with me and I won't... "

"No chicken rice is fine although not every night."

Kevin drank four bottles of beer and they went to bed early because he was tired.

His excited wife shook him at 9:21 and took his hand and placed it on her belly.

"Nothing," he said. "Did you feel something?"

"Yes, distinctly. Lie very quietly."

Suddenly Kevin whispered, "Holy fuck, I felt it."

"Me too."

"Oh you are so clever."

"Oh Kevin, don't be such a wet," Renée said, obviously pleased by his reaction.

Late next morning Kevin took a call.

"Hi it's Paul. My meeting considered your proposal and I called a recess and we meet again at 2:00 with the chiefs in attendance. It's your chance to fire and convince us Kevin. Bye."

"Thanks Paul."

Kevin then heard the phone click and felt sure Paul would have heard him say thank you. He called Renée. She was pleased and said go slay them. She said her studio had hired a 30-year-old trained chef as assistant director who would fill in as presenter whenever needed.

She added, "This might be the end of me."

"Does she smile a lot?"

"No."

"Do people smile at her?"

" Not that I've noticed."

"Does she wave her hands around and scratch her butt on camera?"

"I don't think she will. She hasn't been on camera yet. Rehearsals start from her this afternoon."

"Well all I can say is you have nothing to fear. Ratings will slip while you are away."

"Kevin are you suggesting it's me who scratches her butt on camera?"

"Yes and you occasionally sniff and lift up your left breast and you flick your hair back with the back of your wrist like a real cook instead of with the front of your hand like most women do. Those are small idiosyncrasies that humanize you baby and you perform them consistently and so they are your trademarks. Please don't change and for fuck sake don't talk to your substitute about distinctive characteristics."

"I really can't believe I do those tiny things. I'm sure I sweep my hair back like this... Omigod," she shouted into the phone. "That felt so unnatural. Omigod this feeling of sweeping it with the back of my wrist feels so familiar."

"Yeah baby. Just as well you don't have balls otherwise you'd be scratching on TV."

She cackled and said she must go.

"Oh one more thing. Contract Eva White in your Promo Department and advise you have married privately and are expecting a baby and what those things will mean to the public, meaning your loyal fans."

"But we agreed to tell no one."

"Yes that was then. Half the women who watch your show will already know you are pregnant."

"Oh God, I never thought about that and the reason for my absence would have to be explained when that time comes. How do you know these things darling?"

Kevin scratched the top of an ear and said didn't everyone know such things?

CHAPTER 3

Kevin dressed in a suit and sharp tie and thought everyone at the meeting would be like that. So he changed into light fawn pants, a not too colorful business shirt without a tie and the top two buttons open and stepped into brown loafers.

In the meeting room Paul introduce him to the company president Carl Matheson and his seven minions. They were all in light colored slacks and an open neck business shirt and loafers except for the two women who instead of loafers and long pants wore skirts and high heels.

"We are almost in complete agreement with your concept of 'Cooking for Non-cooks'," Carl said. "But we'd like you to plea passionately, really telling us why we should run with it."

"Well I said in my submission that an hour-long cooking show is one of the cheapest programs to screen unless extravagant idiots are engaged whose spending habits run amok. Shows with good fronting personalities including cooking can attract massive viewers and advertisers will line up. But let's not get ahead of ourselves."

"What most of you won't realize is cooking is an art. Just watch a cooking show featuring a top chef and see how he flicks from one pot to another, lifting lids, looking and smelling, and stirs a pan as he checks the pots with all the rhythm and showmanship of the drummer of a band. It involves hand-eye coordination and motor-reflex hand/finger skills. Some of you may know it as professional dexterity."

Kevin was glancing at everyone and suddenly knew he had them intrigued.

"There's also something else to recognize. Just as bad drivers yearn to become better drivers unspectacular cooks also have their yearning, perhaps never verbalized, to introduce the wow factor into their cooking. A good cook can make poor food taste and even look good but giving great food to a poor cook is the recipe for a feeking disaster as the Irish would say."

"Produce and present a well-thought out show based around cooking and using top personalities and place it at the perfect time, and lo your financial controller scratches an ear and says where has all this money come from? Some of you will shudder reading I've suggested the prime time for such a show is 7:00 to 8:00 each Wednesday and all I can say at what time do you think most people who want to look at cooking and want to learn about better cooking would look for the answers on TV. I say when sitting down for the evening on a full stomach. You don't require rocket science research to figure that one out. There is one other top spot but my former TV station has that spot and my wife is the presenter."

"You are married to super cooking presenter Renée Mitchell?" Paul asked, appearing keen for confirmation.

"Yes we were married four weeks ago and kept it quiet. But Renée finds herself pregnant and her station will probably feature news of her marriage and our wedding photo on its 6 o'clock news bulletin tonight. I ask that you all keep that information confidential until six tonight. If you are to run with me in a cooking show I suggest we are up and running by the time Renée stops work prior to the arrival of the baby. Her relief presenter will only be a shadow of Renée and its ratings could slip to your advantage. That's ends my verbal presentation."

Carl said Kevin was persuasive. "But there's no detail of the proposed program structure in your written submission from what you've told us today."

"Well sir, good ideas in TV are difficult to protect until the format is screened giving it a solid finger print to establish ownership and at this stage I hold the ideas but have not sought the rights to them yet. Therefore I cannot divulge my unique ideas until contracts are signed at the station that hires me to secure the rights in my name and I assigned them the rights to screen and re-screen my programs I produce."

Paul said, "You could end up selling us a dog and costing us big money."

"Yes and I've worked in television and know as much about risk factors as you do Paul. You have a list of TV shows I've produced or directed but I left some out purely to present at this stage, if I got to this stage. I directed Renée's shows 344 to 379 and was assistant director for fifteen shows prior to that and I was director of the show 380 to 402 and then was given another project to head. You will notice in those sessions the name of the executive producer was used for reasons best-known to the studio but have someone call Thelma the executive producer who will probably tell you she didn't feel it necessary to come near the show when I was producer."

The woman who was director of productions said with great interest, "It's really interesting to learn you've actually have had direct involvement with the production of cooking shows,"

"Thank you. Actually I filled in as presenter for the 'Celebrity Cooks Show' numbers 372 to 375 when Renée was sidelined with influenza. I also totally created and scripted for production the most successful 'The Great College Cook-off' that Julia ran."

After another half hour of answering questions the president called in his PA to take Kevin away for coffee. A few minutes later Sharon received a call and after it ended smiled at Kevin. 'Congratulations. You are requested to be at that meeting room at 10:00 in the morning to discussion a contract with executive producer Mr Paul West, our director of productions Mrs Lilia Raymond and representatives of our legal team."