All Comments on 'The Guy Who Came in From the Cold'

by Rhein1

Sort by:
  • 99 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Liked It

Well Done 5*s

Sidney43Sidney43over 10 years ago

I don't know what changes in format occurred, but it read just fine. Her plans fell through because the seducer came home early and that worked out well. He finally realized that he needed to stop living in the past and move one. Took too long, but he obviously was a creature of habit and habit often creates a comfortable place when things go badly wrong.

arincharinchover 10 years ago
Apologies

I found myself unable to continue reading while trying to go through the photo description. The frequent changes in point of view were too disconcerting. I did not vote as I did not finish reading the story.

likegoodwinelikegoodwineover 10 years ago
Very well done!

It's a shame you don't have more time to write.

m48gunnerm48gunnerover 10 years ago
Good Job

A sad little tale...but a good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
What you really need in situations like this

is a big old gun and the will to use it. If more people were killed for cheating there'd be less of it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
4*s

Wow ! Excellent story. Today Jidoka ' Discovery was published in Loving Wives

Section. Both stories insightful ,powerful . What a coincidence.

They cover the same typew of reunion.

AMerryMan

xtremeddxtremeddover 10 years ago
As an "advanced reader" It is well written dialog, charactor development and a great story.

Fiction yes but truth is many times stranger than fiction...

She played twice and lost. He loved and lost but lived to perhaps love again.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

DD

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 10 years ago
A well written, sad little story

I didn't notice any problems that made the story hard to follow. In fact I think it was very well done. Now on to the two bitches.

I believe that a person or persons will get what they have coming to them; if not in this life then in the next.

But we BTB fans want to be involved in seeing that the revenge and pain is handed out.

I was glad that Dan didn't let his feelings of loss and despair led him into another horrible situation.

If the wife is truly remorseful, then she will hurt knowing she has destroyed everything that had any value.

If the "best friend" is sorry, he will regret what's he's done and the loss of someone that always had his back.

One can only hope and believe "Karma is a bitch"

Woodmanone

chytownchytownover 10 years ago
Good Read****

Thank for sharing this very entertaining story.

njlaurennjlaurenover 10 years ago
Sad story

But believable.In so many ways I kind of hoped they would reconcile,but by the end I realized he was right,the wife wanted him back because scumbag was failing in business,yet she continued to fuck him while trying to convince hubby she wanted him back,which was pathetic.She claimed not to know why she threw it away yet it is obvious she still is at it. There is no real sense of shame there,she,wants to use her ex and still have loverboy...and now she is stuck with Gary for good.

Sid0604Sid0604over 10 years ago
A sad story

I enjoyed reading your story even though it was a sad tale.

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Yet another tragedy

Beautifully done, entrancing. The only problem I had was the 20 year old picture. It should have two years old since apparently the affair had already started...

adgeonadgeonover 10 years ago
Good decision

His decision to cut his losses and start thinking about his own happiness is what any sane person would do. And I believe he will find his HEA. Good read, thanks for sharing.

ariesgirlariesgirlover 10 years ago

Good for him. He finally said good-bye to yesterday's garbage and had the strength to move on.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 10 years ago
Good story - thank you for no RAAC

Time for hubby to lt go and move one. Neither the ex wife nor the ex friend deserve to be in his life. Well written story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Well written, sad tale of betrayal.

In the end, he proves he was the better man. He made the right decision. Well played. I have only one small question. Since there were no children involved, why did she get the house? I understand a piece of his retirement, but the house should have been sold and all assets split 50/50. A small question in an otherwise good story.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Oh Yeah

Excellent Tale. The only thing worse than being betrayed by your wife and your best friend is them trying to make amends. He did the right thing and will now live a better life for it. Way to go!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Rhein1 you are great!

I just discovered your work, and read most of it in my first sitting. I love your writing and your story telling. Thank you, I will be looking for more. You are a five star writer all the way. In time, as your repertoire increases, you will be one of the top writers on this website. LOL, I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

I like your attitude towards the dough heads who can't write a lick but criticize anyway. or offer advice that show they have the morals of a snake. That shows that you are self assured and confident person who can slough that sort of rot off. Good for you and good for us, because we get to enjoy your talents.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 10 years ago
The scorpion & the frog redux

It's akin to fable where the frog carries scorp across river after the latter promises not to sting him. Fast forward to conclusion , they're both slipping under the water & the frog says "now we're both going to die, why did you do that?" The scorpion says " did you forget that I'm a scorpion? " It's my nature " .

Rhein writes very well, but it's the same story over and over. Sometimes the wife is the scorpion, sometimes it's rogue male, sometimes it's both acting in tandem. I have no idea if the author is single but if he is- I'd pay for first five dollars of his membership to Match.com so he can expand his literary repertoire. ****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
agreement

Gatorhermit has it right . They have no right to be alive.......and shame on your cuck for hiring such a shitty attorney.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
5 Stars *****

The worst kind of betrayal--the double betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Closure

Thats we he got. He had to let them go and move on. Good story.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 9 years ago
Just discovered this

Pretty well done but an editor could make it better still. The switching back and forth from first person to third person to first person and so on became a distraction. The timeline was also hard to follow, or at least, it wasn't clear to me. He worked at his job twenty years in one part, but a few sentences later it was nearly thirty years. Which was correct? Despite this, sad but enjoyable story that portrays the jilted husband with some originality. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Really is an excellent tale.

Well done.

Concritic123Concritic123over 9 years ago
Good story...

Well written and I enjoyed reading it.

Tim413413Tim413413over 9 years ago
Looks like I'm not the only one.

Read the author's 2 inches story yesterday, enjoyed it, and went looking to find more of his/her stories. I agree with VinO's comments.

megachurchmegachurchover 9 years ago
Near perfect...

Near perfect writing but I'm still confused about if he concluded Janie was still fucking with Tarzan and what significance it had to him.

Rhein1 would do well to have his cuckolded hero's to react differently. Predictable endings are a bore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good One

Finally you did it right. You did good. Some women are really like this. This could, no is a true story. It has happened so many times, only, you only have to changed the names. Truly a sad story, many times over and over.

bill.....no big bangs but still solemn good write......

ImSickImSickover 9 years ago
absolutely

Perfect

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
of course

the worthless courts/judges steals his house and retirement and gives it to a slutty cunt as usual.

5 star for the man getting rid of the slutty cunt, instead of remarry the bitch.

blackswordblackswordabout 9 years ago

She should have kicked Gary out a long time ago if she wanted her husband back or then made sure he stay in a hotel for the night, maybe then she could have a chance but she didn't and Gary blow-up every chance she could have.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Disgustin moron Dan

Dan cant be more stupid, the onlyone loser at the end is him.

This tale dont make any sense only show the humiliation of a poor stupid moron.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
waste of time

just another pointless wimp tale.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Excellent Story

Very well written story. Only feminazises and girly boys would hate this story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
4*

Could have used more violence myself directed towards that stupid prick Gary but nice story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Ending?

No real ending here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Don't listen to these idiot commenters!

This is an excellent story of a true man who can control his emotions. As soon as he found out about his wife and best friend's affair, he left them and moved on. He was not a willing cuckold. These idiots who think that he should have physically assaulted both them are immature adolescent bullies who can't control their own emotions. Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Wonderful story!

It strikes home with me. I was set up by a friend to meet a beautiful girl. My buddy had found a woman and they were to be married.

Fast forward 33 years when I came home to find my ex-best buddy in bed with my wife. Yes, it turns out, they not only had been lovers when he introduced me to her, but they had an on again, off again affair throughout our marriage. I felt so stupid when I finally figured out why my ex friend had been divorced. She had figured out about him and my wife.

We're divorce now, both of us in our late 50s. It was an ugly divorce and I made sure every dollar she would have gotten from me was spent on the war. After it was over and she got almost nothing, I got nothing either, I saw her outside the courtroom with both our kids at her side. I let her, and them, know their inheritance was gone because of her actions.

I no longer speak to my kids and now miss out on my grandchildren because of the war. My last years may be spent alone and working until I die, there is nothing left of my retirement, but I have my dignity.

ju8streadingju8streadingalmost 7 years ago

family and friends, CAN'T trust any of them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A couple of opportunities missed.

Why would she get the house without buying him out of his share? Not likely. And since she works, why would she get any of his retirement? She'd keep her retirement, he'd keep his retirement. When she offers to do anything, play along. Get her to sign off on receiving any of his retirement, fuck her good in bed and leave some sloppy seconds for his good buddy. By the time you ended this story he was just a pathetic cuckold. What kind of idiot keeps a picture of the three of them on his desk for that long? Well written, but unlikable story.

danoctoberdanoctoberover 6 years ago
Story deserves a higher rating.

A well written story. Quite believable story line.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
writing is great But I do have one question......

Do any of your male lead characters any hair on their balls? Or for that matter, do they even have any balls. This passive non aggressive bullshit is tiring. Why don't you just start the lead in by saying that the lead male character is an effeminate and save most of us the time we waste. Your writing and creativity is great but your lead characters are boring and punks.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 6 years ago
Thoughts

First of all, I would have pushed her away when she tried to hug me.

"you must believe that I never wanted to hurt you" - Bullshit! Then why did you rape him in the divorce? Why not leave his pension alone and split all assets 50-50?

HE'S apologizing to HER?!

"We are just friends these days and that is it." - LOL, is Gary cheating on her now, is that the reason for the late nights at the garage?

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 6 years ago
Your

sentence "How could you have traded my love and devotion to you for a tawdry affair with a two timing ape like Tarzan here?", changed this story from a one to a three. That was a beautiful piece of prose. The rest of the story, not so much. Your standard whiny baby man story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
The key to a lasting relationship

Is to make sure you pick a mate that has no problem resisting players.

SystemShockSystemShockalmost 6 years ago
Ridiculous logic

The ex-wife only deserves half the blame? No, she shoulders full blame for all of it. She has a brain, she has free will and there's nothing in the story about 'Tarzan" having mind control powers. She could've said "no" at any time, cut Tarzan off cold and made the choice to be faithful to her marriage. But she made a different choice, and that's what it ALWAYS is; a *choice*.

She CHOSE to let him worm his way in. She CHOSE to fall for the bullshit of a lifelong player she knew for a fact was about as far from husband material as a man can get. She CHOSE to fuck around on her husband in their own home, then kick him out of it during the divorce. She made her decisions and is only now feeling any kind of remorse because of where those decisions ultimately led her, not because she made those decisions in the first place.

I will never have any sympathy or empathy for people who whine and cry about shitty situations that they put themselves in. No matter what happened, somewhere along the line they made a conscious choice to go down the path that led them to where they are.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
SystemCuck is dead on

Decent closet cucker but needs guy to hook up with new younger lady.

danoctoberdanoctoberalmost 6 years ago
Very nice.

It would be easy to say, Just take her out and shoot her, but she seemed more like a mental case. Great story though. *****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Again! An Unfinished Story

I hate UNFINISHED stories and this is one.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 6 years ago
Yeah

Read it again. Our betrayed hero kept his dignity and his balls by reaffirming himself with the cheating wife and his best friend and has moved on with his life. They, however, are fucked up and will be forever miserable.

Ye reap what ye sow.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Not a Bad Story

Actually it was a pretty good story. But once again it seemed like the good guy took one up the ass. This author’s style appears to be to present a nice guy, good family man, honest, faithful, all that stuff, and allow him to be walked on, even crapped on by a wife who professes to love him. Yeah, he always divorces the slut but that’s it. That’s all the “punishment” she gets. Then, nice guy that the chump, I mean husband, is, he always makes sure she gets at least half of their assets. All this, after she had fucked him over royally. And that’s the kind of ending that disgusts me. I used the word “chump” earlier. That’s the thing all the male protagonists in this author’s stories have in common. They’re all “Chumps”.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Hahaha...your consistent

In not knowing your own details in your own stories! Why would Dan keep the frame when there is a brass plaque on the bottom reading friends forever!

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 5 years ago
Why

I read

After very beginning I knew that I would not like it

Had to be another asshole to be friends with an asshole who kept preying on others women

Why did I keep on reading?

To see if there could possibly be any reason to not write a suitable comment

None

Masochist might like story

Goodbye

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Well, there's 10 minutes of my life I can't get back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Sorry

Inspite of the good writing, can't stomach any more of the wimpy husbands in these stories and the consolation prize at the end. May others enjoy the fruits of your labour,Rhein1.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Just makes you wonder why you think men this stupid is a plausible personality.

You must be surrounded by weak, dimwits. How could a man not discern a woman this deceitful, selfish, shallow, and immoral? As soon as his friend was moved in he should have been able to see and feel the vibes between the two cheaters. He deserved all the pain they heaped upon him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Sorry I wasted my time.

This must be a fantasy. I have never encountered a man with so little backbone.

Rolando1225Rolando1225over 3 years ago
Beautiful story

The story is so sad, but so beautiful and enticing. Whatever you want to call him, what matters is that he's a good man, who loved unconditionally and his serious mistake was to trust on a wife and a best friend who didn't deserve his friendship, love and trust. It was too late that he realized both were liars and amoral people, and he was really too good for them. They didn't deserve him. But fear not, there is always other fish in the sea or in the market for those who hate fishing and don't mind them frozen...

InfosaugerInfosaugerabout 3 years ago

How stupid is the wife to ask for reconciliation while still living with her lover?

The lover surely has no title on the house so she could have him send him packing without legal problems before asking for reconciliation.

JonDoe315JonDoe315about 3 years ago

what a sad man the hubby was

Ocker53Ocker53about 3 years ago
Loved It

This man handled himself with dignity⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Sad. But then he put his trust and gave his loyalty to flawed people. Now he feels the pain of the betrayed boys of his youth, who lost their girls to a predator,a predator he supported.Karma is a bitch!

fritz51fritz51about 3 years ago

Still living with and fucking the ex-best friend, while inviting her former husband to dinner to ask him to come back? Them there is some set of balls...

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 2 years ago

That was good.

Albeit a sad story.

This is what I don't like about cheating wives.

Their entitlement. When in reality there is only thing they could really bring to the

table of relationship.

Their love. Stupid female couldn't even do that.

/

I think Dan deserved what happened to him.

He gravitate and calls asshole his friend.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

What exactly you wanted to accomplish with this story?

***I on the other hand was almost his opposite, I never developed the six pack abs or the huge cannons on my arms, my hair had thinned out quite a bit and I carried a spare tire around my gut for emergencies.

...

I, on the other hand, got the satisfaction of knowing that I had always been square with her and had taken care of her right up to the end.

...

No matter how much she had hurt me there was no denying that I still loved her.***

That is a description of a LOSER. Your main character is a complete loser. And the only way you tried to avoid that perception is to write nonsense like this:

*** Janey in a determined voice call out, "It's not over for us Dan! I want you back and I will get you back no matter how long it takes. Gary is gone tomorrow! You are my man and we still belong together!"***

Now that is a fantasy of every LW loser there is. The wife that cheated on them starts begging for reconciliation like that would ever happen in reality. It is just a part of a dream of every loser.

What such a loser really needs to do is:

(a) stop drinking and smoking

(b) start bathing

(c) get rid of the spare tire around your belly

and then maybe, just maybe you will get a little more respect from females. By sermonizing from your imaginary "high horse" you will not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The POV keeps shifting from the main character to an unseen narrator.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I have to agree with dark2donut2

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish? All you've done is describe a loser coming to terms with the fact that he actually is a loser and he's lost everything. It sounds like he's contemplating suicide at the end. What was the point of this

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Only good part was when he said karma struck. Never can empathize with mc who knows and still has pos as best friend. AND picture still on desk!? Accept meeting!? Only if you can prepare the meal. AND what a banquet!! jtwheels

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done. Well written, well nuanced, well concluded. You know you done good when the commentators spend three paragraphs telling the mc how to get his life together. There must be a formula out there for how to deal with betrayal. Wish they'd share it with us instead of criticizing the mc's reactions and calling him names.

LWlurker

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

As a poor starting-out writer with the worse grammar, I can see this story flew from the first and third person. I may be wrong, that is just my opinion.

Author 4.5

Storyline 4.8

Flow 4

Overall 4.2

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

She needs help... What galls she has to invite her ex over to reconcile, while the lover is still living there.

rn2711rn2711about 2 years ago

A very good short story. There are only a few such short stories that deserve a 5.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

typical cheating slut but much older this time. typical hard working moral man screwed over monetarily by a cheater and the courts. OH, the poor woman needs the alimony and support. blah, blah.

nixroxnixroxover 1 year ago

1 star - waste of time

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

So here he is many months into being single and he receives a call from the backstabber, after a short conversation she invites him to dinner and when he accepts she thanks him. The MC thinks ‘well what could I say but Thank you’ well he could have used the supremely eloquent response we use here on planet earth and just said FUCK OFF he could have added BITCH but that’s just over the top nasty.

But then it would have only been one page, still there’s usually a silver lining with these things isn’t there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why go eat with her? Why?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

this is a great story of a man looking for closure, he finally found it and starts living again, both tarzan and jane will be miserable for their life.

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

The character Dan turned out to be smarter than Gary, at least he didn't take the Slut back. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good he moved on from those cunts. Once a Cheater alwayS a cheater. They might be faithful in the next relationship.. But if they cheated on you there is no going back, only moving on without them.

5 STARS

MasterKoteMasterKoteabout 1 year ago

Too bad he didn't get his happy ending instead of wallowing in misery

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wallowed in misery hes finally ready to move on, a man like him will be just fine.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
1*

these idiot cunts are delusional and even the protagonist isn't too bright.

Helen1899Helen1899about 1 year ago

Looking at the comments, they are in two camps, mainly in BTB, however I am with masterKote, he will now live and die in misery, for what, his pride. For him, not for her, he should have tried a reconciliation, better to have tried and failed ( it wouldn't have been easy, every chance it would have failed) than not tried at all. Well written 4* for not trying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

No justice, no peace. Pathetic MC. Written by a woman? Serious retribution is the only right answer to these kind of people - characters or real. And the only way to Justice.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Story is well written but beyond that I didn’t enjoy it, the 2 people he loved and trusted the most fucked him over and raped him in a divorce and he is civi to them? To be honest the MC has got to be pretty stupid letting the arsehole move in with him and the wife. Also working late a lot! What’s that code for? Arsehole and slut deserve some serious pain

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Helen1899 must have drunk the femdom Kool-Aid too many times. Reconciliation? You have to be incredibly stupid to believe that that would work in this situation, with the lying female involved. No trust, not worthy of any trust, not worthy of any further mental effort or trauma. This guy is weak and he should have expected much more from both of them than he did. Not sure why writers like to create such weak main characters, does it make them feel good? Does it make them feel Superior by making a weak character?

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

weird shit, but good.

oldtwitoldtwit10 months ago

Oh that’s a sad story, full of pain, and as I could see that it must be well written,

.

Such a slow paced piece but your timing was spot on with how you put it down.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

They were quite the sicko pair.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

What I like is that he doesn't hit anyone and risk going to jail or losing his job. Just let the two losers have each other. Tarzan is for certain cheating and she is just init for the sex. NO real love or life.

Calico75Calico756 months ago

I love that this story has a frame around it. Great technique.

Harryin VAHarryin VA3 months ago

The story appears to be written by an author who is mentally retarded. The story opens with the main character going over his deep sense of overwhelming betrayal and hurt. So out of the blue the wife calls them and invites more to dinner. Why would this man accept such an invitation from somebody who obviously is either intrinsically evil or mentally unbalanced or doesn't give a shit whether he lives or dies?

.

When he shows up at the ex-wife's place he turns his head so he cannot get a kiss from her and then he apologizes.

.

Yes that's right is pathetically awful writer has the husband apologizing to the wife for her betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Giving her "credit for being able to keep a secret?" For something like that kind of crap?

And her line that he "can rest assured" she would change things? This is just inane and stupid writing. Nobody talks like that, nobody in that kind of situation would use those words. Just lame writing.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Sorry, too much there is just not believable. The whole beginning is inconsistent with his response to her invitation or request. And later on she supposedly doesn't want to hurt him but doesn't want to lie - but that's what she's been doing for years, so why would that have changed. If you create a character, their intentions and thought processes and emotions have to stay consistent to be believable, unless there's a significant event that causes them reflection or anguish or some other trigger that has enough force to change their being, to change who and what they are, to one degree or another. The writer doesn't do that, doesn't get any rationalization for the sick ex-wife to have changed or corrected anything. Just not believable. The selfishness and evil in either of the two hearts have had no correction, no reason to be changed.

NicealloverNiceallover2 months ago

The real question in my mind is why did she go back with Gary after not being physically involved with him for 33 years. She says she doesn’t know but rattled off 3 or 4 reasons right off the bat. Why did Gary need to assert himself with his best friend after 33 years. The truth is that they were proposing a ménage à trois with Dan providing the emotional glue that would make them feel whole again. Janet needed to kick Gary out before asking Dan to dinner. But, she wants Dan for Gary too. Realizing her mistake too late she shouts “Gary is gone tomorrow.”

BertishamBertisham9 days ago

I stop reading the minute Dan agreed to meet his ex again. What Whimp, Weakling poor excuse for a man would do that ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I’m not reading any of your story from now on.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous