All Comments on '1 July 1863'

by dannychellette

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Pickett was a GENERAL not a Colonel and the attack took place on July 3, NOT prior to that

LoneStarRiderLoneStarRiderover 12 years ago
five-star!!!!!

And thus was the nature of The War of Northern Aggression.

[And for you readers who have been sleeping, or perhaps mis-educated, the war was not really about slavery. It was about economics, and states' rights {remember that little detail known as the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution?}]

Excellent piece of work!!

pope32767pope32767over 12 years ago
"States' rights"?

The only "right" at stake was the "right" to compel people to work for someone else for no money from birth to death. Feh.

dannychellettedannychelletteover 12 years agoAuthor
lmao

Y'all really gonna have a debate about the politics of the Civil War? I was more interested in the wild-eyed captain charging ahead and slaugherting the enemy like a maniac just so he could get some more snappin' pussy all that much faster.

And ty for pointing out Pickett was an O-8 and not an O-6. forgot to google that and kudos for noticing. Since the letter home was written prior to Pickett's ill-fated charge and the Major's letter was written after the battle (he probably didn't have time on the 3rd and 4th to tend to such trivialites, damn yankees being victorious and all) on the 5th, the timeline still fits.

Corpse_riderCorpse_riderover 12 years ago
The South will rise again!

A well written piece and the letters had a convincing period quality to them. For me, it didn't quite work as erotica despite the steamy content of the letter.

One historical quibble: I was surprised to find a confederate cavalry captain taking part in Pickett's charge when this was actually an infantry assault.

The action confederate cavalry was involved in that day was to the east of Gettysberg when under J.E.B. Stuart, the confed cav division attempted a diversionary attack on the rear of the Union lines.

A minor quibble I suppose, but I'd have made him a infantry officer to avoid confusing ACW buffs like myself.

Overall I enjoyed the read.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous