10 Pound Bag Ch. 116-120

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The managing partner eventually showed up begging apology that he had been at a meeting with several large banks from back east. I took this as good news and made polite. I discussed a deposit and safety box with him and seriously asked how much that could convert to USD immediately. He started hemming and hawing about St. Louis Dollars. I had to specifically point out that I had specifically said 'US Dollars' and wasn't interested in locally sponsored currency. It all hardened my resolve on starting up my own bank.

I eventually got him to commit to tendering to me in USD and I agreed to take some of his local dollars for local spending so long as I got a 1:1 rate when I redeposited them later in the week. If they didn't convert directly at local stores I wasn't going to be a happy customer. That fully settled and put on paper, I promised him thirty thousand in bullion within the next two hours and needed five thousand in dollars to spend. I also needed an insured safety deposit box. I handed him a thousand in bullion and signed the papers and headed back to the boat.

I brought help and security from the boat as we toted 120 pounds of gold back into town. We had four men toting bullion and eight armed guards surrounding them. We also carried a hundred pounds of silver to go into the safety vault as well. It was a lot of money but not all of it; I still had a deal with Leavenworth in progress, and a lot more for reserved for my own bank back home. My bank had to have it founding on something, and gold would be the backstop for now.

Before I made the deposit I demanded that the manager schedule me to meet with the board this week I needed to understand who I was trusting. I was depositing the modern equivalent of ten million dollars with them and I wanted to look these men in the eye. I got my $5,000 walk around cash leaving me with twenty five thousand to draw against in the bank. The rest went into a large safety deposit box which was stored in a proper vault that the Second Bank had brought in. My draw slips were basically pieces of paper with a stamp on them, frankly I was impressed that they had the wooden hand stamp to use.

The manager wished me good luck at the auction and it dawned on me as to what he thought I was going to spend the cash on. I made it clear that I didn't know what he was talking about and that's when I found out the auctioneer was in town and they were selling off slaves and assets seized for failure to pay taxes and levies. I thanked him and went to find the tailor.

Timmons and Amos were still trailing along so we took lunch at the tavern next, there was a servants table set just off the side of the main room but withing waving distance so Amos could serve us as we ate. It also allowed me to order normal food for Amos and he too got his choice of the three items on the house menu. I also got a chance to chat a little longer with the owner/brewer, his name was John Byrne and his family hailed from Ireland. He was willing to part with some beer and whiskey at a price, I figured we start this off easy and counted him out five hundred dollars.

John simply stared at me like I was insane when I handed him the money. I asked him for four barrels of good beer and a cask of good drink. I went on from there asking him to order me brewing and distilling tools and to find a good wine maker. Now he looked at me like I was a crazy person but I started to count out more money when he finally pushed back with "$500 is already too much mate."

"Well, put it on my tab I responded and increase your brewing capacity, we're going to do some serious business." Was my response.

He finally shook my proffered hand and we had a deal. He agreed to have the booze delivered to my dock on Monday and reminded me that I still had a great deal of credit on my account. I asked for an accounting whenever we showed up and to please get me that gear and we were done. He did bring me a written receipt and a free shot which I happily accepted.

**** Chapter 120 -- The Auction ****

By: Emmeran, 24 April 2021

Edited: NNPDad, 2 May 2021

Published: 2 May 2021

Jeb caught us coming out of the Tavern and started blabbering on about all the stuff he saw laid out for the auction. It seemed a lot of folk hadn't economically survived the Panic and we had a huge opportunity to pick up all sorts of equipment. There were also tradesmen who were auctioning off their own shops just to pay off debts and raise cash to start over.

One walkthrough was all it took to convince me that I was about to spend a lot of money. I asked Timmons to go secure us a warehouse and sent Amos off to the bank to tell the manager that I'd need a clerk at the auction to issue drafts on the spot. Then Jeb started to show me what he'd found.

Obviously, the first stop was the carpentry section. That was what Jeb did, after all. There were tool lots from two companies that had folded and just their equipment was there represented by the bank. We also saw one forlorn dude standing around a bunch of nicely kept tools, looking pitiful. He would be the first of more than a few I talked to who were struggling to survive, for whatever reason. I wasn't a pro, but even I wanted his tools. I took the easy way out - I told Jeb to buy him out fully and recruit him. We'd have him help pick the best of the tools from the other offerings, along with anything unique that we needed. I peeled him off a hundred in St. Louis dollars to use as deposits.

Next, I came upon one of the things I desired the most, a blacksmith and his full shop of tools. I didn't waste time and recruited him on the spot. He passed my basic requirements and I need someone to do metalwork more than anything else. I told him we'd need a kiln to make iron with as well, and he claimed to know how to do that. A deposit sealed the deal. Well, mostly. It was undecided whether I took him and his tools or I just took the tools. He was fine with either, but we needed to talk some more before I signed him and his family on. So we agreed to meet for dinner on Monday.

I found many other small opportunities and soon had the bank clerk acting as my recorder also. He wrote down everything I did. Amos was a handy runner to have. The last surprise was the wagonwright. Again, I went full court press and set up the same deal that I had with the blacksmith. We'd meet for supper on Monday to confirm the hire.

Other treasures were a millstone setup and a couple of rotary blades for a lumber saw. Both of those setups were a no-brainer and I jumped on them quickly to avoid them going into the auction. The sellers were all allowed to sell right up to a certain time, at which point the lots were locked. The last items of importance were the hay scythes and I bought every one I could find. The cutoff was sounded and I started shopping animals and people.

Timmons caught up with me and asked if I was crazy rich or something, I merely asked him to go see if any boats were going up on the block. We might need another one or two. He merely shook his head and threw his hands in the air as he went off to see if he could find anything. I really hoped he did, because we'd need one to run all summer just to pick up what we'd purchased thus far.

I walked the livestock, spotting both mares and milk heifers I wanted. I also saw a few cages of chickens that gave me a hunger for BBQ chicken. All in all, I would be into the bidding in a big way. Next stop was the humans. Here, Amos came in handy. I sent him around to identify families or couples that were on the block. I also pointed out one huge guy with a defiant look in his eye that I definitely wanted. I went over and talked to him personally.

He was a monster of a man even next to me. He had to have at least two inches and probably fifty pounds on me with a look of total defiance in his eyes. His body was also covered in scars and none of them being the intentional 'coming of age' marks. After a few moments of mutual appraisal, I spoke to him.

"How's your English?" the obvious question that earned a disdainful look.

"Just fine, thank you."

"Can you behave until we get home, big guy?"

Now he just had a confused look on his face and was speechless again.

"Do you have a woman here as well?" again. It made me smile.

He nodded and I asked the obvious question, which one and which lot. Point her out.

Well he stayed with me enough to point her out and say, "Lot 142."

I looked over to see four women standing together, with an African Goddess standing in their midst. This was going to get expensive.

"Great, behave until we get home. Amos and I will explain on the trip home. I hope you can ride a horse."

With that explained, I went back to the horses. I needed tack now and I needed a friggin' Clydesdale for the big guy to ride. I had just enough time to find a team of large mules on the block and decided that they would have to do. The bidding was about to start and I was about to spend some money.

I grew up around auctions and I'd heard the auctioneer's song every weekend in my youth. I still love that cadence and to follow the action as items are moved through. I guess it's more exciting when you have skin in the game. Some of my fondest memories are sitting with my dad at the auction and going to eat with the farmers afterwards. It was definitely one of our winter activities and I quickly came to love it.

So I happily moved up front, in front of the looky-loos to get my bids in. Everyone was standing with me including the blacksmith and the carpenter. The bank clerk was looking nervous as the auctioneer started to explain the rules and I looked around to see the bank manager standing at the back of the crowd. I waved him forward, then turned back to pay attention as the first lot came up.

12