10 Pound Bag Ch. 036-040

Story Info
A man and his companions are transported back in time.
9.5k words
4.73
12.2k
8

Part 9 of the 48 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers

**** Chapter Thirty-Six -- Finding Balance ****

Morning chores, breakfast, check the gauges and then ride the line. I found a place to safely ford the creek on both ends of our little oval and could make the entire circuit in one go. Work the wood and build up the stack: that was my morning routine. I took my shotgun with me everywhere I went.

Watering the livestock had become Matilda's responsibility, as she had the dog cart. I'd use it occasionally to move things around; Brin was always with me anyway and he loved to pull the cart.

On that morning after my routine Brin and I went out with the cart and started to collect fencing wire; the old fence lines were useless and I wanted to get the pasture fenced as soon as possible. It was a slow and painful process; I needed to try and save any staples or nails I found also. We'd come back around on the next pass and start pulling fence posts. I worked on the fencing until lunch time rolled around.

Everyone had managed to find constructive things to do. Matilda went gathering each morning; the pickings were slim this time of year but that should start changing quickly. Her stash of herbs and spices appeared to be growing, and her tent smelled beyond wonderful.

Sonya shadowed Michelle and learned how to live at a camp site, I was told there would be riding lessons for her that afternoon also. Apparently there had been a feminine conference held and the law had been laid down; I was glad to have missed that.

After lunch I spent time training on the drone, this was a complicated tool with lots of possibilities. It had come in two hardback suitcases, one for the drone itself and the other for the accessories. The accessories case had three cameras, including one with night vision (FLIR), four spare batteries, a cargo carrier and several spare parts. The battery charger was built into the case, all I had to do was plug it into the rig and we were charging.

The case for the drone was fairly large and included a separate charger, the control unit and the drone itself. It was all very impressive and professional; no wonder my drunken self bought it.

I fired up my laptop, loaded up the drone SDK and began to learn. Within two hours I had figured out the autonomous mapmaking functionality and another hour had me eager to try the survey/surveillance functionality. I was excited to learn that I could basically have the drone patrol at night using the FLIR camera.

I also learned how to turn off the altitude limitations and which radio frequencies had the best range under which conditions. All truly handy things to know.

I decided to try the mapmaking function first and wrote a quick script to have the drone map the square mile immediately around our camp site and then return to base. Using the controller, I launched the script and paid close attention to the controls and flight so I could take over if need be.

Up the drone went and started flying in an altitude determined pattern for the best mapping results. Technology was fun.

Thirty minutes later the drone settled back onto its base where it started charging again. I processed the acquired data and minutes later had an overhead view of our new homestead and surrounding forest.

I loaded that data into my next script and created an after dark surveillance script using the FLIR camera, which I would test that evening.

The day was beginning to wane at that point and I decided to evaluate our septic situation. The tank in the camper would fill before too long, and I needed a better solution.

I looked to my new map of the homestead to find a good location to dig a septic pit. I was able to find a few spots that looked like a good place for an out-house, but nothing within reach of my septic hose. It was going to be a challenge. On the plus side I noticed the tractor on the map; I had forgotten all about it and even walked right by it not thinking twice.

My mind thought of it as "Oscar's tractor" and not something of mine. The new reality was it was mine now and it had a backhoe. So much for the dreaded eight-foot deep septic hole dug by hand. A quick walk out there and I happily confirmed it was a diesel tractor and that the keys were in it. The tractor currently had forks on it but the front loader bucket was setting directly beside it and even had gear stored in the bucket, including a five-gallon jerry can of diesel fuel.

On the way back I double checked Michelle's pickup and it was diesel also. At that point I accepted that I really needed to prioritize our inventory project so we could plan better.

It was getting on towards dinner and I needed to do my evening chores, certain things had to be done each and every day. Kicking back to relax was truly becoming a rare treat in a very short order. I rode the line again looking for anything that might be a worry for us; Michelle accompanied me and naturally Brin led the way. Brin was great out on point: he maintained focus and sniffed at everything; more importantly he was silent. He was quickly learning the duties of this particular task.

We curried out the horses and gave them their dinner. We then cleaned ourselves up and I took my laptop to the table to go over the rig's systems, fuel levels and solar efficiencies while we waited for dinner.

Dinner arrived at dusk, it was a stew meant for a chilly night and it did a body well, we would all sleep warm that night. The dogs ate at the same time as us but it was definitely a different dish, I do believe they had rabbit offal stew.

Dinner conversation was mainly about what we accomplished that day and discussion about related future plans; we all had a small glass of beer after dinner and then went to work ending the day. I put some relaxing music on and we separated to wash dishes, stoke fire boxes, check live-stock and otherwise clean up and prepare for the night. This was closing up for the night and it had to be done.

We gathered around the fire to enjoy the evening, the music was soothing and the fire kept back the worst of the chill. Michelle got busy maintaining the horse tack. She was inspecting and cleaning bridles, and rubbed the leather with a waxy solution she had in a jar. I simply assumed it was saddle soap but I would find out more later.

Matilda was dutifully teaching Sonya how to stitch burlap together to create something, I could have asked what, but I preferred to wait and see. I needed to be sharpening my saw blades and axes but I played with my drone instead.

I sent the drone up on a night mission to survey the area with infrared; darkness brought danger with it and I had the technology to overcome that. I made a first manual pass to create the logs for use in my scripts; the FLIR was amazing and I could see all the night animals starting to go about their business.

I also saw a human in the tree line.


**** Chapter Thirty-Seven -- Contact ****

We were not alone.

That was definitely a human huddled there in the bushes at our tree line. I kept the drone in a high-altitude hover and just watched and tried to think. With the drone up at that altitude you couldn't hear it on the ground so we had a temporary advantage; but battery would quickly become an issue and I needed a better approach.

I cast the display to the big screen and the women all stopped and stared at what I was seeing. As we watched the heat signature on the screen split in two and the larger of the figures moved up to the very edge of the line and appeared to stare in our direction. We now had two humans out there and they appeared to be small ones.

They joined together again after a minute, and I assumed they were protecting against the cold of the night. I began to suspect that they might not be adults.

I announced quietly to the ladies, "I think they are waiting for us to go to sleep so they can come scrounge for food."

Matilda nodded in agreement.

"What if they want to hurt us?" Sonya said.

Michelle simply looked at her and said, "We're armed."

I let that alone for a minute and then recalled the drone, I had the start of a plan.

*****

The drone returned to base and I invited them all to sit with me at the table.

I said, "I think they are cold and hungry and hiding for whatever reason. I think we should bring them in."

Sonya wasn't for that but Matilda and Michelle sided with me; I started to lay out my plan. Surprisingly even Sonya went for it in the end, so we got down to work.

I put fresh batteries in the drone and moved its base to the top of Michelle's horse trailer, I positioned it so that the camera was looking across the pasture to the location of our intruders. Powering the drone up I could zoom in to pick them up on infrared again, the battery would drain here but much slower than if it was in flight.

Sonya sat at the table and kept watch on them while the rest of us finished the setup. I retrieved my A2 and M1911 out of the gun safe. I kept the A2 with me, I gave the M1911 to Matilda and my pump shotgun to Michelle. Sonya got the double barrel just in case of a true emergency. We spoke quietly while we did all this and tried to stay out of view.

With the weapons distributed I moved the big screen and Sonya back into the camper; Mila went with her. Michelle took Brin and disappeared into our tent. Matilda put Kordi in her tent and then started banking the campfire. She left the stew pot hanging over the banked coals and also left the dutch oven out with the bread in it: lidded but out where our visitors could get to them. I faded back into the bushes with the drone controller so I could keep watch; the camp was shut down and mostly dark.

After that we just waited. And we waited. And waited.

We waited almost three hours before there was movement again. I launched the drone straight up to silent altitude; the girls could hear it go up so they knew things were starting.

I told the drone to hold position and I locked the camera on to our visitors, this was a preprogrammed function and it worked well. Sonya and I were watching the progress on our respective screens and we watch them pick their way slowly across the pasture. They took a wide berth around the corral and came to the edge of the camp, they waited there a while.

The banked fire gave off hardly a glow and I couldn't make out much more than that they were small and very skinny. They moved to the fire pit, the larger of the two swung the stew pot out from over the coals and removed the lid. They both started eating from the pot with their hands. They ate ravenously.

A few minutes later Matilda emerged quietly from her tent carrying two blankets and two bowls, she was within ten feet of them when they finally noticed her and froze. Matilda kept walking and held the bowls out to them, I thought they might bolt. There was a moment of a tension.

The smaller of the two tentatively reached out, took the bowls and filled them from the stew pot. Matilda was closer to them now and held out the blankets, the larger of the two took the blankets and draped one over each of them. At that point Matilda simply walked up, stuck a spoon in each of the bowls and then turned and unbanked the fire. She put the kettle on and fetched them chunks of bread from the dutch oven.

Matilda went back to stoking the fire while our visitors ate, they ate slowly and cautiously now but they ate.

Michelle and Brin joined them next sitting down across the fire from them while Brin walked over and gave them a sniff, he licked each one of them; they were completely frozen until he went to Matilda to beg for more food.

Sonya showed up next bringing cups for the tea and Mila with her, Mila repeated Brin's actions and then laid down on her blanket. I guess the dogs had decided these folks weren't a threat.

I used my mobile and brought the awning lights to dim, it was time to see. I sent the drone to base and walked over to make introductions.

*****

They were kids, a boy and a girl. Early teens at best.

They were black.

They were runaway slaves.

I smiled at them and then accepted a cup from Matilda, it was coffee and it was good. I mentioned that it could use a little something and Sonya fetched me a bottle from the camper. I went and sat down at the table.

"Boy," I said, "come sit here at the table with me."

He slowly rose and came over leaving his bowl and his cup behind. Before he could sit down I told him, "Bring your bowl and your cup, you need to eat some more."

He tried to do that quickly but Matilda insisted on refilling his bowl, he fidgeted as he waited and Michelle just smiled sweetly at him.

When he finally sat down he refused to look me in the eye. I got a bit gruff and told him, "I can't properly speak to a man if he won't look at me, so look at me son."

Holy shit that kid was worn out: he looked like he had been ridden hard and put up wet. The stew was starting to hit him and make him drowsy, but fear was still keeping him wary and fairly alert.

Michelle joined us at the table.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He looked down and mumbled, "I's Moses sir and that there is my sister Ruth."

"Are you on the run son?" I asked.

He nodded to the affirmative.

"Well," I said, "Then your name isn't Moses any more your new name is Amos."

Michelle smiled and said, "Your sister's new name is Esther. Please call her up here and tell her that."

He called and she came; he told her and she looked confused.

"Let me explain," I said, "you can't keep the same names when you are on the run. That's how you get caught.

"You can stay here with us for a while, but if a white person comes around you have to tell them that you belong to me and that I brought you west with me. To work my homestead as my slaves.

"You will be free here with us, but we have to tell that story if anyone comes looking for you to keep you free, do you understand?"

They slowly nodded but I could see Sonya shooting daggers at me over Michelle's shoulder.

Ruth/Esther was starting to nod out and we needed to get her to bed. I turned to Moses/Amos and asked him to follow me. We went to the horse trailer and I opened one of the stall doors. "Tonight you can sleep in here, I'll give you some fresh hay for a bed. Tomorrow morning we'll set up a proper place for you two."

I pulled down a fresh bale of straw and he spread it out on the floor and laid their old blanket over the top, Michelle led Esther over and laid her down covering her with a blanket. Amos looked uncertain so I said, "Take care of your sister Amos, we'll see you at breakfast." I left closing the door behind me.

Matilda and Sonya had shut things back down, I finished my drink and wandered off to bed with Brin and Michelle trailing behind me.

My last thought before I slept was, "For fuck's sake now I have kids to look out for..."

It was late and that damn rooster would be awake far too soon.


**** Chapter Thirty-Eight - Instant Family ****

That damn rooster kept to schedule.

I almost stayed in bed until I remembered I had two new wards to look after, and a new harsh reality to face. I stumbled out of the tent into the cold morning air with Brin in tow. It was time to start breaking my new ward in to the realities of staying with us.

Quietly pulling open the stall door I saw the two of them sleeping in the hay, I reached out and nudged 's foot and he sleepily looked up at the third nudge. I beckoned him to follow; he slipped out of the bed and came out of the stall. I quietly closed the door.

"Moses, Amos -- us men have work to do, let me show you how it's done."

"Yessir." he sleepily answered.

I showed him to the outdoor utility sink and bade him wash his face. That seemed to wake him somewhat, and then I led him through waking and stoking the fire. That was something he was familiar with. Coffee making came next; he followed along with determined attention, and then it was off to do the morning chores.

Amos didn't say much, just trailed slightly behind me and joined in whenever I asked. When we returned to the camp we could smell breakfast and coffee in the air; we washed up from the chores, and then we sat to enjoy our morning fare. The kid was still dazed and simply doing whatever I told him. Matilda fed us, and she fed him especially well.

While we ate, Michelle woke up Esther and brought her out into the world; that kid was even more dazed than her brother. She took Esther into the camper and showed her how to use the toilet; they joined us immediately after for their breakfast. Those kids could really eat.

****

We left them a moment's peace at the table together and walked away to have a conversation. Those kids were half-dead when they found us, and there was no way that I was going to let them leave until they were in better health. Sonya refused to talk about it; I think the entire slavery reality had her off kilter yet again. These last few weeks had been tough for Sonya.

I was having none of her naieve idealism today; I needed to get my message across and get it across quickly.

"We very much are in the 1820's," I said, "and we are very close to the state of Missouri where slavery is still very much legal. The Civil War is now forty years in our future."

That pretty much silenced any arguments that were brewing, so I continued, "These two are runaway slaves; the laws we now live under require us to turn them in under penalty of fines, imprisonment, or even death in some states."

Now I really had their attention, so I pushed my plan.

"I'm not going to turn them in, but we need a cover story and everyone, even the chickens, has to know it backwards and forwards. We ourselves need a cover story also and we have to consider what we look like, dress like, and talk like.

"So, to the outside world they are our slaves, and their names are now Amos and Esther, we brought them with us from Cuba or some other island. We landed in Texas or Mexico and made our way here.

"We have to make the story work or there will be blood on the ground." I finished. Well that actually got them thinking and they were some smart people, so I left them to their plotting until they had sorted it out.

I went over and joined the kids instead.

They looked at me with trepidation when I sat down at the table with them; they were on the run and frightened and didn't know who they could trust. Telling someone they can trust you is almost the worst idea ever; you just have to start laying out the facts and let them decide. So that's what I did.

"I gave you new names last night, you must lock away the ones your mother and father gave you forever. You can never use them again. I am very sorry.

"You may stay here or you can leave. If you stay you must work like the rest of us." That got me a smile and nod from both of them. I continued, "If anyone else comes you must say that you are our slaves and always have been. You must say that we brought you here. Do you understand?"

They looked frightened again so I tried to reassure them, "If they believe you came with us then you aren't the runaways they are looking for and they might go away."

That didn't work so I put it simple, "Sonya will give you the story to tell them if they ask, you can not make a mistake. If one of them knows you or if you know them, then I will have to kill them.

"Do you understand that?" I asked.

Bless their hearts they nodded to the affirmative.

"Good, now we need to get you some clothing. Amos, please come with me." Conversation done on my part.

The best I could manage that would fit Amos was a pair of my bib-overalls and my smallest T-shirt; he still looked like a scarecrow. I led him over to the shower, set the water to warm and made him strip; I then gently pushed him into the shower and handed him a bar of soap.

Thank the heavens he knew how to wash himself.

Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers