23 & WTF Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, is that what you mean when you said he's going to leave you? Because he's our brother? He can't cope with being in love with you, married to you?" That's when I just start crying all over again.

"No, he's not going to leave me because he can't love me. It's because he can't touch me."

"What'd you mean he can't touch you." She starts getting angry and loud. "Does he think you're diseased now that he found out you're his sister. Because brother or not I might have to kick his ass for that." This just makes me cry harder because it's me she should be mad at not Rion. "Doesn't he know how much you love him?" I try to stop crying long enough to answer.

"It's not him Lucy, it's me. I try not to but I can't help it. Every time he's tries to touch me, I flinch." I look her in the eyes hoping she can see how much it pains me to admit that. "Every time I do I see how much it hurts him. Because I do know how much he loves me. I do know he doesn't care what anybody else thinks. Just what I think and right now I'm sure he thinks I don't love him anymore."

Finally seeing where I'm coming from Lucy begins to calm down. Then with a sad look in her eyes she asks. "Do you Cat? Do you love him, like that? Still?"

"YES!" Oh God forgive me. I still love him, but he's my brother. Is that why can't I make myself tell him? Why I can't let him touch me? "Please help me to stop pushing my husband away." I ended that with a whisper, all cried out it seems.

Gathering me back up in a reassuring hug. "Oh, sweetie I don't know how to advise you in this. Other than tell you I don't think badly of you. The two of you just didn't know, but this is something you've got to come to terms with on your own. One thing I can promise you is that I'll always be here for you whenever you need me. Now let's get you cleaned up before your daughter gets here with dinner."

* * * * *

RION

As I'm talking to David, trying to act normal, Lucy shows up. Only before she can say more than 'hi' Cat grabs her by the hand and drags her to the bed room. "What's that all about?" David asks properly confused.

Knowing that she's probably telling Lucy right now I suddenly get it. This is too big to keep to ourselves. The burden of it needs to be shared. Coming to grips with what I'm about to do I motion to David follow me. Leading him out to the back patio I hand him a beer. "Here you're going to need this."

Taking the offered beer, "That bad huh?" He says with a joking smile. Nodding my head, I grab a beer of my own twisting off the top. Taking a deep breath and turning back to David I reply in the calmest voice I can.

"Hi, I'm 'John Smith'." For about a full minute he just looks at me like I'm a little touched in the head. Then with a look of shock and recognition he proceeded to drain his whole beer. Yup he's my brother.

"Damn Rion," then he grabs me up into welcoming bear hug. Surprisingly enough this is the first bit of relief this revelation has brought me. 'Thanks bro.' Letting go he looks at me like it's for the first time. "I guess I've got to say 'welcome to the family' little brother."

"Nope, it's actually the other way around." At that he gives me a confused look. "I also found out my Dad's the donor." That was my cue to drain my beer. As he processed that, I retrieved a couple more bottles.

Sitting in silence just absorbing the moment he gets this look on his face as he finally comprehends my dilemma. I almost want to laugh at the 'oh shit' face he's making. Quickly getting himself under control he speaks. "So, what does this mean for you and Cat? I mean I know you two aren't planning on having any more children. So honestly there's only the whole social taboo thing. Legally I think you're ok but Lucy would be better to answer that. Wait is that why Cat dragged Lucy off as soon as she got here?" I just nod, as for the rest I got to say I love my brother's pragmatism.

"I don't know about me 'n Cat. She's not taking this well and the way she's reacting to me I think I'm causing her pain."

True to his professional persona he just listens with a patient look of non-judgment. "To put it plainly, I'm scared David, scared I'm going to lose her. She pulls away from my touch like she's been burned. Like she's repulsed by the feel of me. Whatever it is, I'm doing something to her. It's killing me to think I'm hurting her."

"When did you tell her?"

"Last night right after Lucy asked me to be the father of her babies." That caused him to choked on his beer. "I thought trauma surgeons reacted better than that to surprising situations." I said with a humorless laugh.

When he was done coughing, he looks at me, "Lucy asked you what?"

"Well she said she was ready to be a mother. She wanted to do IVF and wanted me to be the donor. If it makes you feel any better, when she asked me, I kind of threw up in my mouth a little. Turns out she and Cat had already talked about it and Cat gave her blessing."

He kills this beer too. Time to slow down until dinner. "So instead of easing her into the discovery I just gave it to her quick. Because no matter how I thought about it, there was never going to be a good time to tell her."

We hear the patio door slide open as Jacob steps out. "Hey guys Bella wanted me to get you, dinner's ready."

Walking back in the house I'm a little shocked though I should've expected it. Sara is with them. Oh, goodie that should make my wife happy.... not!

She looks over at me and smiles hello. Then I notice something that could only be classified as 'not good'. She's looking at David and her smile changes to one I haven't seen in 18 years. Then David and Sara lock eyes. David is getting this goofy look. Oh damn, this is all I need.

Clearing my throat, "David let me introduce my stepsister Sara. Sara this is Cat's brother David."

Clearly taken David offered his hand. "Pleasure to meet you Sara. What brings you all this way?"

Jacob speaks up. "Oh, she came up to ...." This draws a dangerous look from Sara to her son.

"Quite Jacob he was talking to me." Turning back to David she flashes her 'shy girl' smile. "To answer your question, I just relocated to Indianapolis as of today." At this news I clearly see David's face brighten.

Trying to keep the conversation going he asks. "So, was it just being closer to your son that brought you up or was it a career opportunity as well?"

Damn she's using that innocent look for all it's worth. He's so done for. "Being closer to my boy was key. Also getting out of that tiny little town, but no job as of yet. I'll start the search Monday after spending the weekend getting settled. You wouldn't happen to know anyone at the local hospitals, would you?" David just starts smiling even bigger at that.

Damn I never thought of that, David could get her and Bev set up for work right off the bat. Definitely keep her out of Cat's way if she had a job. Plus, if she starts focusing on David then Cat won't worry so much about her being around me. So, I answer for him. "Well Sara you're in luck. David here just happens to be a trauma surgeon downtown."

"He's right Sara I could definitely open a few doors for you. Are you a nurse?" He asks with a little trepidation. Even after being raised by one I'd thought I'd have heard it all. Nope not by a long shot. See he's told me some stories that've even made me blush, and I've been working construction sites for 18 years. That's why now I have to tell you, nurses are 'nucking futs'!

Shaking her head with a giggle, like she knew the same thing. "No not a nurse. Medical coding, I'm just an office worker."

"I find it hard to believe that you're 'just' anything." Oh, dear lord kill me now. Me and Jacob both look at each other and start laughing at that. Both of us earning evil looks from Sara. David just grins.

"Man David, you want some wine with all that cheese." Jacob says even though he knew it would earn him a 'Gibbs slap' to the back of the head.

Bella walks back up with Patty and Andy following her. She looks a little concerned. Damn, Andy and Patty must've told her how things are right now with her mom and me. She's looking at me like she's worried I'm going to bolt.

As we're all fixing our plates and getting ready to eat. I hear footsteps behind me. I turn and see Cat and Lucy. Cat's just staring at Sara and David talking and smiling at each other. David looks up to smile at his sisters but changes to a questioning look instead after seeing her expression. That's when Sara turns to them and her look changes too.

She knows Cat doesn't really like her. She's an ex, she gets it, but she's also family. So, she keeps her mouth shut so as not to make my life any harder than it has to be.

Sara breaks the tension first. "Bella invited me over, I hope you don't mind?" I could tell she was nervous being in Cat's house. Then it hit me and I wanted to laugh. 'Cat and Mouse'. If not for everything else going on right now I would've thought it was hilarious.

"It's fine Sara really, besides you're my neighbor now it seems." Huh, she said 'my' not 'our' is she already seeing herself without me? 'Stop over thinking shit dummy. You haven't lost her yet!'

I see Bella studying her the same way she was me just a moment ago. Yeah, she can see something's wrong.

Lucy looks on edge now as well looking at everybody but me. There. She made eye contact. She looks away as quickly as she can. Damn! Her looking away like that almost hurts as much as when Cat pulls away. Guess I know where she stands now.

At that moment Jacob cleared his throat. "I guess since everyone is here now, me and Bella want to say something." What is he talking ...? oh crap! I didn't mean tell them like this you jackass. "Since it'll probably come out anyway, we wanted you guys to know we're dating now." If we had a cricket it'd be the only thing you'd hear.

"Oh, Jacob that's wonderful son. You two make such a cute couple." Sara gives her immediate approval. While David just nods, and the kids just look like each of them could've done better. Lucy I finally notice is watching Cat for a reaction. So is Bella.

Cat just shakes her head and speaks. "Yes, sweetie the two of you have always been close to one another. I guess it was inevitable." Tearing up she starts to turn and leave the room.

Without thinking I grab Cats hand to try and console her, and she pulls free of me. Looking at me with a pained expression as soon as she does. Damnit! I told myself I would stop doing that. That I would stop hurting her. We just look at each other then both go our separate ways. Her back to our bedroom and me back out to the patio. Lord knows what happened after that!

* * * * *

THE DINNER

Rion and Cat both leave the dining room while everyone else is left a little stunned. Not knowing what to do they just mill around. Filling their plates and sitting to eat. Kids at one end and the remaining adults at the other.

"Damn baby I didn't mean to make your Mom and Dad that upset." Jacob says as he tries apologize to Bella.

Only she knows from listening to her little sister and brother that this is something else entirely. "I don't think it was all you Jake. I think there's things going on here we didn't know anything about."

"See Bell, I told you something's wrong." Sharing her older sister's concern. "This is the same way Ashley said her parents were acting right before they split up." Patty whispers to her sister.

"Quiet Patty. They're not splitting up." Even as Bella says this though she wonders. 'Am I telling her that or am I telling myself?'

At the other end of the table things are just as tense. David remembered the way Cat felt about Rion's ex. Knowing Lucy supported her sister in her dislike. He figured she wouldn't try, so he makes introductions. "Lucy this is Rion's stepsister Sara. Sara this is my other sister Lucy."

"It's nice to meet you." Sara says offering her hand. Lucy just smiles and makes no attempt at returning the gesture. Sara notices this and lowers her hand. Then just looks down at her plate. It seems she's still being judged by past actions. At least by Rion's wife and her sister. So much for leaving all of this behind.

This brings a quick response from David. Leaning in to his sister he whispers. "I don't know why you're being an ass, but Cat's issues aren't yours. Be nice Lucy, and at least act like an adult."

She can't believe she feels chastised by her older brother. Having gone her whole life without letting anyone tell her what to do, now this. David is able to pull her up short and make her see when she's being a bitch. You'd think she would hate this but quite the opposite. Lucy loves it. Because she tells herself this is what having a brother means. Someone who'll call you on your bullshit and keep you out of trouble.

She looks back up at Sara. "It's nice to meet you too Sara. I hope we get to know each other better. Anyone who can raise a good guy like Jacob must be an interesting person." Sara smiles at this and also at how David stood up for her. She hasn't had that since she was with Rion. She's really looking forward to getting to know David a lot better.

"Speaking of Jacob I should talk to him a little more about this new development with him and Bella. I kind of need to figure out where their heads are at. If you'll excuse me time to go be a Mom." Getting up she heads down to the other end of the table. She can also feel how the two siblings might have more to discuss.

Now with a little privacy David feels safe enough to talk about what's really going on. "So, what did you think about it?" Expecting a little of that 'Lucy' excitement to finally show up.

Lucy just looks at him with a blank stare. "What did I think about what?"

Huh? Really is that all he was going to get? Where's the freak out? Where's the sentence with four or more variations of the word 'fuck'? "You know, what Cat told you." He said trying not to be to obvious around the others at the table.

"I don't know what you're talking about David, she just had some legal questions she wanted to run by me about her work." Lucy was getting agitated. She didn't like having to play this game with her brother.

David though was having a bad feeling about this. "Damn it Lucy what did you do?"

"Please David just leave it alone."

"Oh no, I'm a doctor remember. I have to work with privilege too Lucy. I know the whole song and dance to avoid telling what you shouldn't. By the way you suck at it."

Knowing she's caught she just asks again. "David please don't? I really can't talk about it."

Not having any of it he just barrels on. "There's a reason doctors don't operate on family Lucy. Because with family you just can't stay objective. Something always goes wrong."

She looks at her brother wishing like hell she hadn't told Cat yes. Because she knows everything he's telling her is true. David continues on a little louder than he should.

"Too late by the way, he told me. I already know. Since I do know, it means I know what he is to both of us now. Which means even if Cat's ready to divorce him she shouldn't use you to do it. He'll never stop holding it against you."

She looks back at her brother ready to reply. That's when she sees Andy standing behind David. Tears about to fall he turns and runs off, down the hall to his room.

"Andy! Wait!" She calls after him but he doesn't stop.

Seeing Andy take off like that she turns back to David, and with a sad shake of his head. "That's the other reason it shouldn't be you. Because they'll never forgive you either." With that David gets up to go after his nephew. The others just looking on not quite getting what just happened.

Feeling the tension in the room Sara decides this might be a family matter they should stay out of. "Come on Jacob let's get back to the house. I think Bella has things to do here." With that she and Jacob said their goodbyes and left.

Bella just sits there, still a little in shock from what all she's learned today. Of how the perfect family life she thought she had was all seemingly going to shit. She looks at her Aunt and wonders if she had heard right.

Divorce?

She of course knew exactly what Lucy did for a living and she agreed with David. It shouldn't be her; she should be offering comfort. Not aiding in the destruction of her family.

Little did any of them know, divorce was the last thing Lucy wanted for Cat and Rion. Lucy in fact wanted to try and stop that from happening. She was surprised with herself once she realized that. She wanted to save their marriage. She really didn't care that they were brother and sister. Her brother and sister. Because she knew how much they loved each other. How 'right' they were together. The truth was Cat and Rion symbolized everything she herself wanted in a relationship.

With that in mind she had to withdraw as Cat's attorney and just be her sister. Which meant she could also be his sister as well. At that thought she smiled for the first time since learning about this. 'Rion's my brother.'

So as the last of them get up from the table. Patty and Bella start to clear the dishes and put away the food and the dinner comes to an end.

* * * * *

CAT

I hear the front door; people must be leaving. One hell of a family dinner huh? Laying here in bed I'm just trying not to spiral out of control. I look down at the necklace I keep fiddling with. The gold cross I'm twisting between my fingers. I look at it still trying to make sense of my feelings. Still trying to figure out how God could allow this to happen. I'm not an overly religious person but I was raised in the church. My parents and I are still active there and I do believe.

Until this that is. Because how can I believe that I'd be allowed to fall in love with Rion. This man who is the other half of me, of my soul. Yes, loving him made me believe in soulmates. To have fallen in love. Only to find out he's my brother and have it ripped away like this. Forbidden. Illegal. A sin. How am I still able to believe in this and why can't I stop? That's why this whole ordeal has left me feeling broken in two. I've lost the other half of me.

Someone's knocking at the door but I don't answer. It opens and I hear footsteps coming closer. I want it to be Rion but it turns out to be Lucy. She comes over and sits down on the bed looking down at me full of concern that I don't deserve.

"What happened after I left? Did 'she' try to comfort Rion? Did 'she' try to make it all better?"

"No Cat, nothing like that happened. What did happen is David figured out you asked me to be your lawyer. He also pointed out I really shouldn't be." I sit up to look at her. She's going to quit. She's going to tell David! More are going to know!

"You can't tell what I told you! You said it was privileged information! That's the only reason I told you!" This was not good, if this gets out everyone will know. They would talk. What about the kids? What would they think?

"Calm down Cat everything you told me is still protected. But from this point going forward we have to do damage control." I just looked at her.

"What damage control? What happened?" How in the hell could things get any worse?

"Like I said David figured it out. He then proceeded to remind me not to work with family like this. See I couldn't tell him anything you said about not really wanting a divorce. Only now he thinks you do. Then when he pointed out Rion's my brother too ..."

"Oh God you told him! You just said you wouldn't do that!" I'm freaking out now, David knows.

"NO! I didn't tell him, Rion did!"

Shit. I thought he didn't want to tell anyone. He must've known I was going to tell Lucy when I dragged her off. Damn it David knows. "Does David hate us now? Does he think we're sick?" I'm barely able to get the question out.